Grow Room A/C

• Thread starter CannabisJohn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
kenaan

kenaan

Well it appears that my thread disappeared from the forum during the server change. So here goes a new one. Ask away about your grow room a/c questions.
Hello,
I need advice regarding a/c for a 2x4 veg tent (T5 lighting) and a 5x8 flowering tent (1200 real watts LED lighting) inside a detached 20x20 barn structure. My climate area is USDA 9 or Sunset 11. Should I get a portable or non-ducted 12,000 btu mini-split to service just the tents (connected together somehow), or a larger unit to service the entire structure and use passive air intake for the tents?

Freshone

Freshone

If you could build a room,say 12x12 you could cool it and intake and exhaust back into it(being careful to avoid light leaks to your flower tent).12k is all you need but probably not enough to cool the 20x20 area.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Hello,
I need advice regarding a/c for a 2x4 veg tent (T5 lighting) and a 5x8 flowering tent (1200 real watts LED lighting) inside a detached 20x20 barn structure. My climate area is USDA 9 or Sunset 11. Should I get a portable or non-ducted 12,000 btu mini-split to service just the tents (connected together somehow), or a larger unit to service the entire structure and use passive air intake for the tents?

Just cool the tent with a ductless mini split

N

nicolajanjak

hi jack

1000w of hps -> 4000 btu of cooling

but with 50 degree F outside, what is the number ? i think 2500/3000 is enough

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

Mitsubishi sucks. Go to minisplitwarehouse.com and get whatever is on sale. My Midea kicks the sh1t out of my 2 Mitsubishis.

N

nicolajanjak

Hi man
Mitsu are good . Toshiba very reliable too
For growing I also advice
Panasonic
Mild dry technology is very interesting for sealed rooms

N

nicolajanjak

mitubishi dont sucks
mitsubishi heavy industries sucks yes.

mitsu are a bit overrated i my opinion but still on top of AC brands

Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey

Premium Member
Supporter
Just about every one puts out a mini-split. Mits, Sanyo, Dankin, and Trane has one. Pick ur flavor.

TheOutlier

TheOutlier

i wanna put a 6k btu window unit mounted into the wall of the grow room i am currently building in my basement which is 8x8 and will contain for now only a 4x8 canopy with 2x600w hps lights with aircooled hoods. what i am strugling to decide and being this is construction i am doing with actual walls i don't want to make the wrong choice. what i am askign is sealed with air cooled hoods in operation and run a/c year round even when the basement outside sealed room is cold, or do i open vent out the top use the air cooled hoods and then the 3-4 months in summer th basement gets over 80 i run the a/c but less efficiently than if it had been sealed. i am leaning sealed except i dont want to run an a'c yr round in that room with only 2x600w light it seems like cost to yeild would be terrible that way,however i do want to use the air cooled hoods and get em close to the canopy to make up for the par loss. please someone with actual experience advise me on sealing this room or not and if there is anyway to avoid running a/c all year if i do seal it

N

nicolajanjak

i wanna put a 6k btu window unit mounted into the wall of the grow room i am currently building in my basement which is 8x8 and will contain for now only a 4x8 canopy with 2x600w hps lights with aircooled hoods. what i am strugling to decide and being this is construction i am doing with actual walls i don't want to make the wrong choice. what i am askign is sealed with air cooled hoods in operation and run a/c year round even when the basement outside sealed room is cold, or do i open vent out the top use the air cooled hoods and then the 3-4 months in summer th basement gets over 80 i run the a/c but less efficiently than if it had been sealed. i am leaning sealed except i dont want to run an a'c yr round in that room with only 2x600w light it seems like cost to yeild would be terrible that way,however i do want to use the air cooled hoods and get em close to the canopy to make up for the par loss. please someone with actual experience advise me on sealing this room or not and if there is anyway to avoid running a/c all year if i do seal it
Hi man
Why don’t you put a mini splits
Window unit risk to exchange air with outdoor which is not wanted
Air cooled and sealed room don’t go together if u want my opinion
You can do with it but it’s inefficient
You just need a ac and a dehumidifier with co 2
And running air conditionnée don’t cost so much and result is superior

TheOutlier

TheOutlier

Hi man
Why don’t you put a mini splits
Window unit risk to exchange air with outdoor which is not wanted
Air cooled and sealed room don’t go together if u want my opinion
You can do with it but it’s inefficient
You just need a ac and a dehumidifier with co 2
And running air conditioner don’t cost so much and result is superior
first off a mini split needs half of it to go outdoors and i don't wanna be explaining why my condenser is running in december to nosey ppl. second a window unit can be set up to pull air from within the grow room via a box and ducting, you just need to calculate airflow and poss add fan. even if not tho use a box as above with a hepa filter to keep pollen and bugs out. c02 loss is minimal and positive air pressure is never an issue in sealed grow from my stand point. any experienced members wanna disagree i'm open to where i am wrong

Last edited:
P

PharmHand

first off a mini split needs half of it to go outdoors and i don't wanna be explaining why my condenser is running in december to nosey ppl. second a window unit can be set up to pull air from within the grow room via a box and ducting, you just need to calculate airflow and poss add fan. even if not tho use a box as above with a hepa filter to keep pollen and bugs out. c02 loss is minimal and positive air pressure is never an issue in sealed grow from my stand point. any experienced members wanna disagree i'm open to where i am wrong
Most minis are heat pumps too, won’t look weird at all running in winter. Easier to deal with than smell escaping, a lot more efficient too. Window shakers are also noisier

TheOutlier

TheOutlier

Most minis are heat pumps too, won’t look weird at all running in winter. Easier to deal with than smell escaping, a lot more efficient too. Window shakers are also noisier
yea but ppl in my neighborhood have the same house dude, they will know something is up trust me. i just don't want a mini split i understand they are more efficient and i understand the steps needed to take with a window unit to avoid your concern. as for the noise i barely heard it down there and i already run units in my window so the noise exists whether i do it for my plants or not

P

PharmHand

yea but ppl in my neighborhood have the same house dude, they will know something is up trust me. i just don't want a mini split i understand they are more efficient and i understand the steps needed to take with a window unit to avoid your concern. as for the noise i barely heard it down there and i already run units in my window so the noise exists whether i do it for my plants or not
If you’re running shakers in winter for just cooling your house anyhow then it must be warm where u at then I don’t see the issue running a mini you’d Just look like you’re stepping up efficiency. And a nice mitsu runs absurdly quiet especially in winter. Quieter than a shaker trust me. Your call tho man, that’s just my take

TheOutlier

TheOutlier

If you’re running shakers in winter for just cooling your house anyhow then it must be warm where u at then I don’t see the issue running a mini you’d Just look like you’re stepping up efficiency. And a nice mitsu runs absurdly quiet especially in winter. Quieter than a shaker trust me. Your call tho man, that’s just my take
basically i live in a single house and i live alone. i have central cooling, a big unit actually, but i don't use it because i am not cooling 3k square feet for no reason. i cool the room i sit in which is my bedroom. if i am entertaining for some reason i use central cooling, but other than that i rock a window unit in a bedroom window. if i have a window unit a mini split and a central cooling unit i look suspicious. at least i feel i do and anxiety is a price, so no mini split for me. i'd run central air and passive cool before i added a mini split but i think the wall unit is a better idea. the last hurdle is i also don't want to put the mini split condenser in front of my house which is the only place i could put it that would not be a huge install hassle and i don't invite ppl in to do work at my house readily. so i will be using this a/c and if it is not enough i will literally add a second window unit or invest in a hotel wall unit i am eying from amana that is very close to a mini split without the split part. amana has some technology that makes their hotel unit very efficient

sixstring

sixstring

Why not just use a dual hose portable? Window units pretty much need to be oversized in every application and if it's not in an actual window with fresh air plan on doubling the btu you think you need.

Top Bottom