Grow Room Electrical

• Thread starter hiboy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
hiboy

hiboy

View attachment 692551 actually, looks like i have a 250v outlet connected to a 30a.
i was looking to purchase an adapter cord to run from that 250v outlet to plug my two phantom II digital ballasts into.

will this adapter cord work?

I would not use that I would just take the plug out and install what you want
and it is a 30 amp circuit looks like there's a neutral there also but you won't need it for your 240v ballasts
I would rather take that wire out of the 4s box and install a 30 small sub panel
You could get your ballast and even a 120 V
Hb

T

terrapin11

I would not use that I would just take the plug out and install what you want
and it is a 30 amp circuit looks like there's a neutral there also but you won't need it for your 240v ballasts
I would rather take that wire out of the 4s box and install a 30 small sub panel
You could get your ballast and even a 120 V
Hb
interesting.
is there any way to use this current outlet?
avoiding replacement and further installation?

hiboy

hiboy

interesting.
is there any way to use this current outlet?
avoiding replacement and further installation?
Doesn't look like the middle tab which is the ground matches up
You would have to get an oven cord and want to J box and then put your other outlet in and it's not worth all the trouble it's going to just change the cover plate on the box to what you need

T

terrapin11

Doesn't look like the middle tab which is the ground matches up
You would have to get an oven cord and want to J box and then put your other outlet in and it's not worth all the trouble it's going to just change the cover plate on the box to what you need
thing is, i rent.
i'm just trying to understand and figure out a way, if possible, to use what is already in place to run a couple 600w lights.
are you saying to shut off the 30amp breaker that the 250v outlet is connected to, and replace and install a 120v standard outlet?

T

terrapin11

or a 240v outlet?
i just don't know nearly enough to be adding a circuit, nor is that an option since i'm renting (if i owned i'd just hire an electrician of course, put the lights on a dedicated circuit)

Last edited:
hiboy

hiboy

or a 240v outlet?
i just don't know nearly enough to be adding a circuit, nor is that an option since i'm renting (if i owned i'd just hire an electrician of course, put the lights on a dedicated circuit)

You're not adding a circuit you're only reconfiguring the plug so all it is is taking the cover off of that box and the plug out and install the correct plug for yourself
Or you could get the correct cord and plug it in and then connect to a timeclock a T103 Intermatic
but this does take some knowledge
not a lot but a little
and yes if you turn the breaker off that whole line is dead for you to work on

T

terrapin11

You're not adding a circuit you're only reconfiguring the plug so all it is is taking the cover off of that box and the plug out and install the correct plug for yourself
Or you could get the correct cord and plug it in and then connect to a timeclock a T103 Intermatic
but this does take some knowledge
not a lot but a little
and yes if you turn the breaker off that whole line is dead for you to work on
ok. so if i take out the 250v outlet, and replace that with a 120v outlet, connected to the same 30a breaker-that would be the easiest way to get my lights up and running?
i've never replaced an outlet before; the 250v has 4 wires attached in back, correct?
how does that translate to connecting those wires to a 120v?
or would it be more efficient to install a 240v outlet and get a heavy duty extension cord to run the ballasts from the 240v outlet?
(i'd have to purchase 240v power cords for the ballasts, i've been using the 120v power cords they came w/ in my previous grows).

T

terrapin11

alright, i am thinking swapping out the 4 prong 250v outlet for a 120v outlet is the way to go.
that should work fine, no?
so a 120v outlet on a 30amp circuit (dedicated dryer circuit...i live in the mountains, air drying is nice haha), will run the two 600w HPS lights and my 8,000btu a/c window unit.
hiboy what do you think? (besides me being a dumbass lol)

T

terrapin11

fuck, or can you not connect a 120v outlet to a 30amp circuit?
in that case, should i replace the 4 prong 250v w/ a 3 prong 240v?

hiboy

hiboy

fuck, or can you not connect a 120v outlet to a 30amp circuit?
in that case, should i replace the 4 prong 250v w/ a 3 prong 240v?
Your correct it's not safe to connect a 120 V outlet to a 30 amp breaker so you would have to change thevbreaker to a 20 amp breaker
that's very simple all you do is shut the main off and it's a screwdriver and you pull the breaker out
But I will advise it is electricity and I don't want anyone to do anything that's not within their skill

hiboy

hiboy

There are two hot wires one neutral and one ground
so you could actually get a double gang ring and install two outlets
one plug would be on each circuit and share the neutral and you would have two dedicated circuits there
one for your air conditioner and one for your lighting

T

terrapin11

Your correct it's not safe to connect a 120 V outlet to a 30 amp breaker so you would have to change thevbreaker to a 20 amp breaker
that's very simple all you do is shut the main off and it's a screwdriver and you pull the breaker out
But I will advise it is electricity and I don't want anyone to do anything that's not within their skill
so can i just put in a 3 prong 240v outlet?
i can't fuck w/ the breaker.

T

terrapin11

Yep
Should change breaker ( I have to say this or I will get ripped a new way one)
Will still work on a higher breaker
Hb
how come i can't find a 3 prong 240v outlet on home depot's site, strange.

so here's a 240v power cord for a ballast:

that won't fit into the extension cord
link i posted?

T

terrapin11

yeah, it's just not an ideal situation.
w/ my complete lack of knowledge and experience in terms of electrical, i am just going to let things be. better safe than sorry. like i said, i rent, so i am certainly not trying to fuck up someone's property and myself at the same time. lol.
i gotta get to a green state:)

thank you, HB, for your time and input.
greatly appreciated, sir.

hiboy

hiboy

how come i can't find a 3 prong 240v outlet on home depot's site, strange.

so here's a 240v power cord for a ballast:

that won't fit into the extension cord
link i posted?
Yes that is an extension cord for a 240 V outlet
I'll search for extension cord and a set up that would work for you but you have to have a little knowledge to build it
Hb

hiboy

hiboy

IMG 1006

Top Bottom