Grow Room Heating

• Thread starter Madmax
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

PharmHand

I see now why you mentioned co2 Pharm.more heat is required and favourable when running co2,plants are more heat tolerant when using it, but some plants are better at it than others.i have been looking at the cooltubes and how the ducting works and takes just the heat from lamp than the room...gee there more one than way to skin a cat hey.
I like this....expensive to setup though..
Maybe i can do something like this down the track as once i get a year or 3 under my belt
I can improve the yield further...i cant wait to start..
I wouldn’t mess w anything air cooled bro. The light has to shine thru the glass which reduces its intensity close to ten percent even w perfectly clean glass which even w a good filter it never will be. And that’s one pass thru a single pane. When it hits the reflector it then has to pass thru the glass again losing another ten percent of the reflected portion and with a cool tube it’s even worse cuz the glass goes all the way around the bulb so essentially two panes for the reflected portion. Super inefficient. On top of that light itself is heat so you still have to actively cool your room. It seems like it’d be great all the light w no heat but that’s just not the case. I used to run magnum xxl air cooled w 8” ports had it ducted mint w solid ducting and a really good inline and I still had to have an intake exhaust to cool my room and in the winter I had to constantly clean the glass w rainx to keep it from fogging up and dripping. Honestly when u consider all the moving parts, fans, light loss extra work cleaning glass etc it’s actually more efficient just running an ac especially for the heat load you’re dealing w for a single light. Fuck it! A 6/750 and a one ton ac you will be so happy. Check back in w diesel n I frequently and you’ll hit some good numbers/quality guaranteed

Madmax

Madmax

I think that exhaust would be adequate as long as the intake air temp is reasonable (80f -). There’s the gavita 6/750 too that goes up to 825w I believe. Do it right you could pull 2units off that no problem. Would likely need co2 supplementation to hit that which is tricky/wasteful in a vented room but doable. What’s it cost to fill a co2 tank where you’re at?

Atm here nite time temps are anywhere btween 3-7 deg celcius over nite daytime is between 10-12 and will get down to zero overnite in aug with frosts fog etc and spring isnt upon us till the start of sept and will still b fresh but getting sunnier.for eg when i grow outside and for the last 18 yrs 4th of oct is when my seedlings are just up couple days old.
So that basically tells you how cool it is down here 41.4545 S 149.7 E .thats right im a tasmanian devil..hehe..with my 6" 315 cfm inline fan is going to b down the bottom of room and getting air from inside the shed which is pretty airy and very cool.sheds about 10mtrs long 3mtrs wide and have built the room at the back of it.i didnt want to have inlet to side of shed as it would suck it alot of moisture when its foggy here .its light mist outside at this moment.so i thought id just tell ya about how it is here.i reckon with the incoming air coming into the small rooms gonna b fresh just like an air con and i believe it wont get hot in there and the warmest will be a top of canopy maybe i could duct that incoming fresh air up the side of wall and blowing between the canopy .i reckon by the time they have veg it will b near the end of sept if i dont pull my finger out.i gotta make my mind up soon.i think all newbys do what im doing right now over thinking it and blowing out about short ceiling ,heat,and what its going to cost running an ac later on in summer.ive been going through the hydro shops .even looking at 4 cmhs in room so i can get closer to canopy.im pretty much running around like a headless chook.hahahahaha..

Last edited:
Madmax

Madmax

Dammit!! I forgot to ask what size is the aircon you would use .5ft x5ft by 7.1 ft high.im looking on your home depo site.

Ps: the 600-750 de bulbs unavailable too on the grower house site.where else can i get. the bulb over there..im looking for a good 315cmh for veg ..i like the stealth sunsystem.Bulbs are 80 bucks cheaper to for the 4200k phillips..

Cheers max

Last edited:
Madmax

Madmax

Well i worked out what size the ac needs to b .only needs to be around 2100-2200 btu
I think wattage was 600 odd.i will get back to this

.got the 600/ 750 in my cart along with a few other things Wall mount fan and an ona mist sprayer.oh and the controller. the EL2 still undecided on the cmh light i want it dimmable for propagation and veg.
Got to ask dude at growers house on if they can change plug ends 9n fuxtures.

Does the gavs power cord plug into the controller ,then controllers into wall?
Not purchasong till i find that out..i think i need to start my own in the grow kind of thread

A journal lol..

P

PharmHand

Atm here nite time temps are anywhere btween 3-7 deg celcius over nite daytime is between 10-12 and will get down to zero overnite in aug with frosts fog etc and spring isnt upon us till the start of sept and will still b fresh but getting sunnier.for eg when i grow outside and for the last 18 yrs 4th of oct is when my seedlings are just up couple days old.
So that basically tells you how cool it is down here 41.4545 S 149.7 E .thats right im a tasmanian devil..hehe..with my 6" 315 cfm inline fan is going to b down the bottom of room and getting air from inside the shed which is pretty airy and very cool.sheds about 10mtrs long 3mtrs wide and have built the room at the back of it.i didnt want to have inlet to side of shed as it would suck it alot of moisture when its foggy here .its light mist outside at this moment.so i thought id just tell ya about how it is here.i reckon with the incoming air coming into the small rooms gonna b fresh just like an air con and i believe it wont get hot in there and the warmest will be a top of canopy maybe i could duct that incoming fresh air up the side of wall and blowing between the canopy .i reckon by the time they have veg it will b near the end of sept if i dont pull my finger out.i gotta make my mind up soon.i think all newbys do what im doing right now over thinking it and blowing out about short ceiling ,heat,and what its going to cost running an ac later on in summer.ive been going through the hydro shops .even looking at 4 cmhs in room so i can get closer to canopy.im pretty much running around like a headless chook.hahahahaha..
Lol not sure why I assumed you were new to this, my apologies.... And yea those outside temps should work just fine for an intake exhaust setup very similar to where I’m at Vancouver island Canada . Plus you could always toss in an ac later on if need be. If you were to put one in id go with a one ton or 12000btu that would do ya np. If u can get a small minisplit/ductless that would be your best bet. Not sure what’s available to u there but here I could pick a cheap one up for under 1k. There’s portable acs and the window shaker kind can be had here for 2-300$ for a one ton. They work fine too just takes some messin around to make it work how we want it to in an otherwise sealed room. I’ve ran co2 in a vented room before too I attached 1/4” tubing to stakes mid canopy in a grid pattern then heated up a pin and poked holes almost like a soaker hose to release the gas within the canopy so it had a chance to get used before being sucked out by the exhaust fan which was mounted high. Since the co2 is heavier than oxygen/nitrogen it settles somewhat in the room. And the gavita plugs straight into a 240volt receptacle and so does the timer(120v) the only thing connecting the two is a phone cord type deal

Madmax

Madmax

Hehe..i am new to this Pharm.i guess being an old fart and goin grey has made me a little wiser when it comes to thinking how i should do it.the cones help too hehe.there is quite a few of those portable and window ones available over on the mainland Aust.little more cheaper than on the island..i reckon i could stealth one from the other side of wall no one would see.i did see on here on one of the threads a guy made some ducting over the cool air coming out of the ac and directed that to the canopy.looked primitive but effective.
Uno i dont even know what my mate is doing how he wants the 4 plants in a hydro setup
In like a reserviour then bend them out to the sides.i havnt the faintest..wants same setup in veg but a smaller version and vegged for 6-8 weeks with a short flowering of 6-7 weeks..so soon as ones finish new one rock in.i wanted to go bigger but he said you will b able to do for yrs without suspicion as only using so much power and of the nite..
Its going to b interesting how i go lol.got to get pens for ec and ppm ,nutes,gee theres a gazillions things to get.

Madmax

Madmax

If i dont end up getting this 750 what would your nxt choice b..3 x cmh in there.
I gotta ask lol.if the de runs too hot ill go ape shit.and wont bother again with it.
A full blown gordon ramsey dummy spit

Madmax

Madmax

Screenshot 20180726 210327
Screenshot 20180726 210038
Screenshot 20180726 210017
Well went through checkout.but i cant justify the amount to ship with tax,stamp duty
or whatever the fuxs theyre doing checkout the price 1300 odd ..to ship 579 .1933 total.thats us

Im fine with that, dear but still works out cheaper then here.but wait!! Theyre not finished with me yet...i tick shipping same as billing and ..lookout the frocking thing is calculating...again!!...2123 + 933 to ship ...lolololol...so whats that now .2123 on items 900 to Aust......well thats fucked me right up.the gavita is near 1100 here the controller 800 and if you want a dimlux theres guysvon ripbay selling them for 1700...hmm .what to do..

Last edited:
Madmax

Madmax

Gave them a message.cant really do much about it.such a shame really.great prices
and good old friendly service.i end up barganing with another distributor..here in aus A little cheaper than growers but minus the dimux and 3 other items lol..i think i have to move to states..

Madmax

Madmax

Well the Gavita 6/750 has rocked up boy what a fuck around.orederd it as they dont stock in store but yet doesnt mention that on there site.so thats like false advertising.anyway so ordered the el2 and the gavita controller ,was specifically told to get the el2 so he says yeah no worrys.the controller rocks up and get a message the gavita 6/750 wasnt shipped,so he fixes it then it ends up in another state lol in wrong shipment container..
LMFAO..so now i get a buzz saying they are there now at shop..YAAY..so i asked it it the el2 controller ...he says ...no...its the el1 ...the el2 has had some voltage issues and theres been a recall and not available in aust atm...anypne got wind of this in the states or is this guy blowing bubbles up my ass

Madmax

Madmax

Anyone?? My friend is picking up the light today and im unsure if he should ask for money back and purchase the el2 from another store.being able to run ac.heaters,humidifiers etc is a bonus with an alarm..something the el1 doesnt have..ive emailed gavita support but havnt got back on what i mentioned

Madmax

Madmax

All good...gavita has contacted me and are not aware of any recall, and have contacted partners in Aust to find out more on this..

Madmax

Madmax

Hmm.ive had 2 emails regarding the el2 from hydro stores seems the el2
has had a recall awhile ago and are on there 3rd issue and they are now
working no problems.
They will b available in 2 weeks .well ol mate wasnt telling porkies after all
going to get the el1 for now just incase anything else arises.

3 balls

3 balls

1 gavita double ended bulb with a master controller. You can run the bulb from 500w-1150w. For a 5x5 will blow that shit up. Runs hot though.View attachment 816367heres 2 in my 10x10 before I put the walls up.
I'm trying to not start a new thread about an existing topic. Please let me know if there's a good one you would recommend.
I run the Sun System AC/DE's, if you're not familiar, they are air cooled double ended. When I got them a few years ago, the hype was- an improvement on the gavitas- better reflector and air cooled. IMO the air cooled part is so-so at best. I'm happy enough with them though.
THE QUESTION: When I got them I was told that you pin them to the ceiling and never adjust. I understand the height of your ceiling plays a big role in this. Generally speaking what are you mofo's doing????
Pin them high and forget about it??? Start with a 3' spacing and raise as they stretch until you top out??? Please share and or point me to a thread were this has already been hashed out. Thanks

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
I'm trying to not start a new thread about an existing topic. Please let me know if there's a good one you would recommend.
I run the Sun System AC/DE's, if you're not familiar, they are air cooled double ended. When I got them a few years ago, the hype was- an improvement on the gavitas- better reflector and air cooled. IMO the air cooled part is so-so at best. I'm happy enough with them though.
THE QUESTION: When I got them I was told that you pin them to the ceiling and never adjust. I understand the height of your ceiling plays a big role in this. Generally speaking what are you mofo's doing????
Pin them high and forget about it??? Start with a 3' spacing and raise as they stretch until you top out??? Please share and or point me to a thread were this has already been hashed out. Thanks
Got em on yo-yos. They say no closer than 4 feet but I’ve pushed the limit to 3. But I’m in rooms and my canopy is quite large. Hit the search bar type in gavitas.

3 balls

3 balls

Got em on yo-yos. They say no closer than 4 feet but I’ve pushed the limit to 3. But I’m in rooms and my canopy is quite large. Hit the search bar type in gavitas.
Baaaam! Thank you brotha! I was searching double ended and AC/DE. No shortage of Gavita talk- which fits the bill. I'm an idiot for never questioning the pin em and forget em advice. I will use the old arm trick and hopefully double my yield.;)
1diesel1 is the man and this site is awesome! (Even if my wife despises it for all the time I spend on here.)

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Baaaam! Thank you brotha! I was searching double ended and AC/DE. No shortage of Gavita talk- which fits the bill. I'm an idiot for never questioning the pin em and forget em advice. I will use the old arm trick and hopefully double my yield.;)
1diesel1 is the man and this site is awesome! (Even if my wife despises it for all the time I spend on here.)
I got the same problem with my old lady! LMFAO

Top Bottom