Growers Choice Commercial 315 Cmh

• Thread starter bankcee
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Pmbreno

Pmbreno

I modeled most of my room and made my choice to go cmh pretty much from watching you demontrich so much respect. I pulled that gc bulb out today and immediately noticed that one side of the ceramic was blackened and not the top side. One of the reasons I was hesitant to buy the gc unit was bulb orientation from what I've read you are right as far as whether it will run the bulb just fine and I wouldn't even be thinking about it had it not been such a big difference in my last grow

Derf Werfler

Derf Werfler

I was checking the prices on different 315 CMH units over at GH. I was specifically interested in the Nanolux 315's. There is a review on the Nanolux 315 that warns NOT to use the Philips 315 bulb in the Nanolux units.

Here is the exact wording:
"Great little fixtures, but be warned: DON'T use with Philips CMH lamps!!! They aren't compatible (for some reason). I bought 9x fixtures and had a lamp die on me with in 2 weeks - none of the lamps lasted their first flowering cycle."

Now to an uneducated dweeb like myself, this sounds like horsehocky!! Can anybody chime in with their experiences to this specific matchup? It makes no sense to me that the best bulb out there would suffer defects with a Nanolux unit.

Peace

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

I was checking the prices on different 315 CMH units over at GH. I was specifically interested in the Nanolux 315's. There is a review on the Nanolux 315 that warns NOT to use the Philips 315 bulb in the Nanolux units.

"Great little fixtures, but be warned: DON'T use with Philips CMH lamps!!! They aren't compatible (for some reason). I bought 9x fixtures and had a lamp die on me with in 2 weeks - none of the lamps lasted their first flowering cycle."

Now to an uneducated dweeb like myself, this sounds like horsehocky!! Can anybody chime in with their experiences to this specific matchup? It makes no sense to me that the best bulb out there would suffer defects with a Nanolux unit.

Peace
Horse hockey!
I agree..
There is a bulb that's double jacketed for open fixture and one that isn't..
That's the only thing I know..

Freshone

Freshone

Peace
Nanolux is making their own (shitty) bulbs (maxpar) so naturally they only recommend their own.After much research i went with GHs prism ballasts and philips bulbs.I have not lost a lamp or ballast yet and i have friends with nanos and they constantly have issues with both lamps and ballasts.

gwheels

gwheels

Hi. I am running a phillips bulb in a 315. The bulb goes verticly. I have just one in a 4 x 4 growing 3 plants and so far it is great. It is an open hood and the heat is managable.
I am just using the 315 this round to see how well it does. Even with the 3 x 3 footprint (or 2 1/2 x 2 1/2) I think it is more than adequate for what I need.
And i went phillips because Demontrich said so. And I like having no regrets :D

Derf Werfler

Derf Werfler

Nanolux is making their own (shitty) bulbs (maxpar) so naturally they only recommend their own.After much research i went with GHs prism ballasts and philips bulbs.I have not lost a lamp or ballast yet and i have friends with nanos and they constantly have issues with both lamps and ballasts.
@Freshone - Thank you for your opinion! The review/statement on GH was from an alleged user, not a Nanolux claim. I appreciate your info on your friends having problems with Nanolux ballasts too. It sounds like a brand that maybe I should steer away from! I am tickled that you are having good things to say about the Prism. I have bought one of their "Wing" packages and have yet to try it out. I have also purchased, but have yet to unbox the Prism set up with a Sun System hood, and the Cycloptics setup from them. I am looking for one more system, and then will "Test Drive" all four in a grow that is starting in a couple weeks. After the test drive I plan to purchase more of the winner. I will be doing the same with a couple 630's.

Hi. I am running a phillips bulb in a 315. The bulb goes verticly. I have just one in a 4 x 4 growing 3 plants and so far it is great. It is an open hood and the heat is managable.
I am just using the 315 this round to see how well it does. Even with the 3 x 3 footprint (or 2 1/2 x 2 1/2) I think it is more than adequate for what I need.
And i went phillips because Demontrich said so. And I like having no regrets :D

@gwheels - Thanks for your opinion as well! Like you, It has been the excellent threads and opinions from @DemonTrich on the 315's and Phillips bulbs that have caused me to open my wallet and give the CMH tech a whirl.

I do need to research more on using the 315's vs the 630's and look forward to reading about others comparisons.

Again, and keeping with this threads subject, it was good to hear that the Growers Choice 315's are a good unit to give a test drive to.

Peace and Good Green Vibes to All!!

Derf

Freshone

Freshone

@Freshone - Thank you for your opinion! The review/statement on GH was from an alleged user, not a Nanolux claim. I appreciate your info on your friends having problems with Nanolux ballasts too. It sounds like a brand that maybe I should steer away from! I am tickled that you are having good things to say about the Prism. I have bought one of their "Wing" packages and have yet to try it out. I have also purchased, but have yet to unbox the Prism set up with a Sun System hood, and the Cycloptics setup from them. I am looking for one more system, and then will "Test Drive" all four in a grow that is starting in a couple weeks. After the test drive I plan to purchase more of the winner. I will be doing the same with a couple 630's.

I almost bought the wing system,I used to run wings/Hps awhile back,one of my favorite rooms.I ended up with the sunsystems remote reflectors because they ran the bulbs vert which is the way Philips designed the bulb to be ran.Cycloptics are badass at scattering light and that is the fixture used to actually test the Philips bulbs.Have you looked at Endomaxx?alot of people like those too.
In the end I think the prism ballast SS reflector was the best bargain and design for me,you can almost buy two for the price of one endomax or cycloptics.

gwheels

gwheels

I think if I were going to do it over I would probably do a 630 with a dimmer and 2 phillps bulbs in a 4 X 4 to get it to about 500 watts. Get the right hood to cool it off. Who am i kidding I would run it full speed ahead.
To run 4 plants in a 4 X 4 and rock the crap out of them. Sorry that kush smashed me right in the head and I just had to say it.

The verticle fixture takes up more space. The 630 is horizontol and you probably save a few inches of grow height. While growing the sour kush and white widow this round I noticed it.

I have a 4 x 4 x 6.5 tent but probably 1 foot of that is autopots they sit in. 4 foot max plants is what i really like to hit.

The plants in there now are 30 inches tall and just started to stretch about 7 days ago.

I would like to save the 6 inches or so it would. The next round will be 2 x train wreck and either a sour diesel or a jack herer and they really stretch

Last edited:
P

PharmHand

:speechless:

Peace
Dang, I hope not..... I just ordered a whole bunch of nano 630s and Phillips bulbs. Nano site says compatible with all popular cmh bulbs, and the Philips has to be most popular lol. I know of someone that recently bought and is using 50+ of that combination with zero issues and actually ordered more cuz he likes them so much. Hmmmm I wonder if the earlier models had issues? Seems weird they'd be so shitty when aside from the Philips ballast they all low frequency square wave made in China ballasts. My buddy runs the galaxy ballast Philips bulb combo no issues and they were cheap as hell. Nano even has a 3year compared to galaxies and others 1year warranty. I hope they hold up:speechless:

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

Does the ballast on this 315 stay cool enough that you could touch it? Could you touch the glass? How much heat does this produce compared to an HPS?

Should you replace the bulb after each grow?

Derf Werfler

Derf Werfler

Thanks to all for your input! I am thinking that the neg review at GH for the Nano x Phillips combo is definitely HorseHocky from some schill, somewhere. Still, I think I will give Nano gear a pass until I have more time to read up and catch some more reviews from other farmers.

Peace and Good Green vibes to all!!

Derf

Top Bottom