Growing Renter's Beware! Apt's or Houses

• Thread starter ReelBusy1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Do you grow where you live? If Yes... Choose one....(Answers are not public)

• I rent an Apt (and I have a death wish)

Votes: 38 27.5%
  • I rent a house, just to live on the edge

Votes: 49 35.5%
  • I own a house with no land to grow on not even a good backyard

Votes: 19 13.8%
  • I own a house and 40 acres bitches so suck it.

Votes: 23 16.7%
  • I live in the woods next to my field in season (but I seem to have good Wi-Fi...?)

Votes: 9 6.5%

• Total voters
R

ReelBusy1

There have been a lot of posts in various forums recently from folks who rent that are growing in their living spaces.

Just Know this:
Growing in a rented apt is the biggest security risk EVER!

Your apt is never ever really secure.Like when the guys hot water pipes burst over my friends grow room in his apt years ago. Not pretty on soo many levels. Landlords have access and the ones who live on site will totally bust you.

Even with the best venting/etc, Believe me, the smell is worse than you think or know in an apt building large or small!

While a rented house may have a big advantage over an apt it really depends on the landlord and their habits and curiosity.

Of course if you have rented the house from a "guy" who knows what your doing "as a partner" wink wink then that's different.
he/she better earn his money by finding you a safe secure space.

Good luck and stay safe Renters.

R

ReelBusy1

Not in california!

While there is some protection for some growers in CA it varies from region to region and growing and/or other drug distribution activity (prove it's for personal use pal) voids many leases.

The only thing the CA paper gives you some real legal protection on in reality is limited amounts of possession and very small grows but no protection on a Federal level. So you better hope Mrs. Kravitz the nosy neighbor doesn't call the DEA or FBI instead of the local police.
Ask Eddy Lepp or any others in jail or awaiting trial right right now.....

Hopefully you don't have an FBI or DEA guy living in the building too like I had some years ago.
I wasn't growing at that NYC apt....

T

TokenZen

The best recommendation for renters is stealth everything out, unless you personally know the person who is renting you the place and they own the building. I got busted almost 2 yrs ago, came home to LEO ripping my place apart and lost thousands in genetics that are complete irreplaceable; It still makes me sick when I think about it. The reason of entry of my apt. was b/c supposedly a fire alarm went off, and they needed to access my apt. That was enough reason to snoop around and boy did they hit the jackpot. I could have bought a new car for the amount of fines and lawyer fees I had to pay and am still paying. I've only gotten smarter and stealth is a MUST when being a renter.

stickyicky

stickyicky

I rented a house about 15 yrs. ago in Ca. We had a three bedroom w/ 2 of us. The extra room was the grow.

We had a yearly inspection during one grow. I told the guy my roomate keeps his expensive toys in the spare room and always locks it. I guess he forgot to unlock for inspection. They did'nt trip. We pulled down 10lbs. that year.

L

livinglegend

i dont know if anyone posted this but.......
its illegal for your landlord to just show up, to go inside without 24 hours notice that YOU approved of!! You have the right to say NO, not today!

dlovejah

dlovejah

Like it was said it depends on the Landlord.. Where they live in proximity to your grow, their curosity, and the laws of your State.. Im a legal Med grower, and My Landlord knows I grow.. Not a problem but I live In a MJ Friendly State and My Landlord is a friend and a Dope Head...plus Im a very small op.. That would probably change if I was growing out commercially.... Sustain yourself and stay small... two cents... dlj.

N

n0dn4rb

i dont know if anyone posted this but.......
its illegal for your landlord to just show up, to go inside without 24 hours notice that YOU approved of!! You have the right to say NO, not today!

I agree with this post....I lived in an apartment for 1.5 years and never had a problem....

When I first moved in I changed the locks on the doors so my landlord never had keys to my place...I highly recommend this for anyone...my landlord insisted on keys but I never gave them up....but for some reason if you do give them up just replace one of the locks so they can't get IN!!! I can't stress this enough....a new lock is $8 at Home Depot and worth the safety it provides

I read somewhere that the less you see your landlord the less likely you are to have inspections....I moved from my apartment to a house and my landlord told me that there would be inspections every 6 months so I at least know what month my inspection is coming in based on when I moved in....other than that I'm good....

in the apartment we went through a management change so the new manager was gung ho to prove something but as long as they didn't have a key to my place I was good.....

as far as the comment on smell leaking out I build a custom DIY srubber and never had any issues growing in my walk in closet...no smells or anything....I even gave herb to the girl up stairs and she would come down and smoke with me and she never said anything so I know it can be done....just over build your scrubber and you will be good....I lived on the first floor with one of my grow walls being the main wall that everyone walked past when going to the laundry room and I never had any complaints so yes it can be done....

just find out what the inspection schedule is and make sure you can take off when maintenance needs to come in and your fine......I had a pipe to burst in my apartment in the kitchen and another pipe burts where they had to rip out the ceiling.....trust as long as you are there so maintenance can't snoop around the place then you are good....

its best to not grow in an apartment but if you must please take all precautions....:rasta2:

I

ismokepot

In the late 80's I rented an apartment in a highrise building. I didn't live there- just converted each room into a grow space. I did it for the FREE electricity!!! Needless to say, I was caught with the largest indoor hydroponic grow (875+/- plants) the state had ever seen. Went from county to state to federal and back to state charges. Was looking at 20 years for first offense. Paid off the asst. prosecutor and got a couple of months in county jail, 3 yrs. probation, 300 hrs. communtiy service. Listen up people........ DO NOT GROW in a rented place. Too many things can and do happen. It's just not worth it in my opinion.

R

ReelBusy1

great feedback everyone.
Thank you!
Any more votes for the poll out there?

aldus

aldus

I live in a apt building where my apt is on the first floor right next to the office for the whole building.

I grew in one of my bathrooms and didnt have any problems. Had a carbon filter in the grow area and a window AC running for the bathroom. The bathroom still smelled even with the carbon filter but other than that nothing. But I was nervous as hell the whole time.

R

Rolln J

While there is some protection for some growers in CA it varies from region to region and growing and/or other drug distribution activity (prove it's for personal use pal) voids many leases.

The only thing the CA paper gives you some real legal protection on in reality is limited amounts of possession and very small grows but no protection on a Federal level. So you better hope Mrs. Kravitz the nosy neighbor doesn't call the DEA or FBI instead of the local police.
Ask Eddy Lepp or any others in jail or awaiting trial right right now.....

Hopefully you don't have an FBI or DEA guy living in the building too like I had some years ago.
I wasn't growing at that NYC apt....

prop 215 and sb 420 gives you a lot of protection - keep it under 99 and your good federally.

I grew in rented places, apartments included exclusively until 03 when I bought a house.

My first hydro grow in 91 was an apartment on the second floor and you could smell it as soon as you got out of your car, but that was before anybody was using charcoal filters.

K

koopa troopa

i live in a duplex that my landlords own. they used to live on the other side, but now their relatives do. luckily they like to smoke pot and respect privacy. i know for a fact they would never snitch on me... one day my landlord comes over while we are smoking and i passed the bowl to him and we hit it off. the only thing i have to worry about is the nosey ass neighbors.

R

ReelBusy1

prop 215 and sb 420 gives you a lot of protection - keep it under 99 and your good federally.

No offense but a correction is needed here.
Marijuana is still completely illegal under US Federal law in every way shape and form like possession, cultivation and/or distribution.

blazedahaze

blazedahaze

I live on 5 acres then my uncle on the 10 acres next to me than just cows, corn, and all kinds of other agricultural zone goodies. And my uncle puffs with me damn near everyday.. so no somplaints here

R

Rolln J

No offense but a correction is needed here.
Marijuana is still completely illegal under US Federal law in every way shape and form like possession, cultivation and/or distribution.

none taken! but how many people do you see growing 6 plants get busted by the feds - they dont have a budget to prosecute all the cases...

R

ReelBusy1

none taken! but how many people do you see growing 6 plants get busted by the feds - they dont have a budget to prosecute all the cases...

:)
Just because your not caught doesn't make it legal as far as the feds r concerned.
You are right though, the guys who play it cool and stay below the radar in size and weight etc can go forever.
:cool0044:

R

Rolln J

:)
Just because your not caught doesn't make it legal as far as the feds r concerned.
You are right though, the guys who play it cool and stay below the radar in size and weight etc can go forever.
:cool0044:

yep as long as cannabis is illegal we are all criminals!

Top Bottom