Hail Hydro 2.0: New Beginnings

• Thread starter PhatNuggz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Quick Update

Freakin day temps here have been high 70s- low 80s. That makes keeping the rezes cool twice the work. Still thinking of a better manual method

Today, for grins, I checked 2 EC pens in each rez: they're 60 EC (10%) different

Also checked my flood cycle timer. I thought I was feeding every 4 hours, but it was 3. Dropped it to every 6 hours

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Oxygenating a Reservoir
Last grow I replaced my air pump/stones with a flooming pump on a timer; 4/15 and plants look great

But I only flood every 2 hours in early veg and 4-6 hours during bloom

So, Im wondering if oxygenating in between flood cycles is even necessary

Anybody KNOW whether flooming just prior to or during flood cycle is all that's needed?

Does the rez benefit from oxygenating in between floods?

ZXC

ZXC

So, Im wondering if oxygenating in between flood cycles is even necessary

Anybody KNOW whether flooming just prior to or during flood cycle is all that's needed?

Does the rez benefit from oxygenating in between floods?

That depends on; 1. how sterile your rez is, 2. what % O2 you need prior to flooding. Another factor to consider is duration, how long do you keep a batch of nutes?
If you don't have bennies, the O2 demand should be low, although anaerobic contaminants might proliferate.
2nd, If the rez temp is low and your flooming is vigorous, O2 concentration should be sufficient because you are doing ebb and flow. The reduction in pump generated heat may also help.

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Been thinking what I could do to lower the Spydr 600s intensity at this stage to simulate less light during outdoor fall harvests

I decided to raise the light up almost 10"

Looks like 7-10 more days, which is perfect for seeds to mature

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Update

Indica

She's been getting mostly water + some enzymes and aminos for a week

On one of the 2 buds I pollinated a month ago. I popped one calyx open: the seed was a nice dark color, but will wait for Valentine's day to harvest the 2 pollinated buds. Love is in the air

Her outdoors counterpart (seeds popped at same time!) is rockin the trichs, but yet to see any indication of finishing

Sat

Taking her sweet time finishing. I dumped the old, and made fresh nutes @ ~ 1 EC

Leafs are getting oily, but pistils are still white

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

I got ~ 30 seeds from one bud. Haven't squeezed the other yet

Update: Harvested Roots are the closest I've gotten to HPA roots, loaded with root hairs

This is interesting from another sight. Makes sense. I add ~ 200ppm of CaMg to my waer before adding nutes

Nutrients
Sometimes magnesium deficiencies are reported when making the switch to LED’s. This is because magnesium is a central element in the production of chlorophyll. When we make the move to LED’s, a more chlorophyll targeted spectrum is part of the benefits. As well as overall higher photosynthetic activity. But in order to reap those benefits, we need to match the elemental requirements of the increased chlorophyll focused reactions taking place.

Common hydroponic fertilizers recipes, usually contain between 40-60ppm Mg. We have found that a range or 75-90ppm of Mg to ideal under LED lighting. The best way to increase only Mg and not introduce more nitrogen, is to add 1gram of epsom salt(Magnesium Sulfate) per gallon of nutrient solution. 1gram/gallon of epsom salt adds ~25ppm of Mg and 30ppm of S, and is usually a sufficient supplement to most fertilizer programs.

***It is important to note that “CAL-MAG” is not an element or a deficiency. They are two separate elements(calcium and magnesium) that each have separate functions and roles in the plant. They need to be addressed individually for successful diagnosis and nutrient correction.

IMG 4154
IMG 4155
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Here's another hot tip

Without decent environmental controls of RH and temperature plant size fluctuates. When the temps are below 70 and RH is below 60 plants will be smaller, and that is what I was dealing with this last grow. This is evident with the size of the same indica strain plant grown/finishing outdoors ,where temps and humidity were much lower than the already low RH/temps in the grow room

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Gearing up for Hail Hydro: New Beginnings 2.1

I looked at the moon cycle for February and noticed we are just entering a new moon cycle. Time to plant, so I dropped 9 seeds in a dilute Kelp liquid today that I made pollinating Med Man Silver Skunk.

Got a new deep tote for low pressure aero, which I will have on a deep cycle timer ~ 1 minute on/3-5 minutes off

Going to use Emerald Harvest nutes throughout

Considering the many new tweaks I learned during this last grow, it should be epic

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

A bunch of pics as I am getting ready

A couple seeds cracked already

I really like the coco discs/pellets. Drop them in water with a bit of kelp to soak up and expand

The deep 18 gallon tote ($5) looks the bomb for starting seedlings or clones

Pump will be on a timer so as not to over wet

I tried a couple different LP heads, but the tan ones throw a wider, softer spray

I am going to use one of my BML side light bars to start them: don't know why I never thought of that before
artist.gif
wallbash.gif

IMG 4163
IMG 4164
IMG 4165
IMG 4166
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Seeds should be dropped into coco pellets, BUT, I neglected to check ppm of the Kelp water, which was 1500+ range, so been soaking the pellets in water, dumping, checking repeat several times to get ~ 200ppm.

I need to hole cut on the lid for the power cord plug, then, as soon as roots exit the pellets, they will go into the aero starter, roughly 3 days from now

Humid Dome

Did I mention I bought a aluminum baking pan with plastic dome at the Dollar store? Same one at Publix was $5.49!

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Now that I'm flooding only 4 times a day, rez temp has been much easier to control

I replaced the kitty liter rez finishing up the sat as I had cut a hole that was too low on the flood side. When over filled the solution would trickle out

I also dumped the nutes, which were kinda smelly. I cleaned the pumps and filters and made fresh nutes with Sea 90 minerals + CaMg + N + enzymes and aminos: EC @640

(a little silica and yucca wouldn't hurt. Gonna do that now)

It's nice to see a clear solution in the rez

I think the Emerald Harvest are clear too

Last edited:
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

I think I fried all my seedlings. 6 had broken through but the coco was too wet and I was afraid to root rot so I put the tray with humid lid outside, which would have been a good idea EXCEPT the 80* heat + semi -soaked coco got pretty warm, and they don't look good.

Im starting 6 more seeds

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Yep, Fried
wallbash.gif

Good thing these were seeds I made from a Blueberry Cheesecake male and female, otherwise I would have been out $100+ large

One of the things I meant to do, and finally did after this loss, was to put a riser of sorts between the bottom of the tray and the coco pellets

I found a discarded overheard light diffuser a long time ago. It's 2 4 and consists of 1/2' squares, so I cut a section to fit in the tray under 6 coco pellets. Now the excess solution can drain away from the pellets, thereby giving the seeds a better change of growing without damping off

Outdoor Indica: Meanwhile, I moved the indica that is outside out of the sun; will probably harvest it late this afternoon

Sat update: I am slowly diluting the solution feeding the sat. Now at ~ 430 = 0.67EC

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Noting that seeds have yet to pop (I did not presoak) it occurs to e the temps in the tent under ~ 40w leds is too cool. It's cool out this morning =, but, I put the out there for a couple hours

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

UPDATE

Outdoor Indica: cut her down a couple days ago

Sat just about ready to harvest. I turned off the Amare Pro3 CoBs this morning, leaving the mono rings on

New seeds: One was popped this morning. I decided to move them under the Pro 3 monos which are much stronger and concentrated into a smaller area than the BML supplemental light

Latest posts

Top Bottom