Harvest Overdried, Will It Still Cure?

• Thread starter Aslan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

Aslan

Hi everyone, so I harvested a blue dream about 5 weeks ago, it dried in about 5 days, then I jarred it and began curing, burping daily for the first two weeks then every other day.

The buds started off smelling like hay after I jarred it and even now, 4 weeks later it still doesn't smell right. It's now at a point where there's very little humidity left in the buds.

When I break the buds up they smell amazing but the jar smell is still very hay-like, but not as bad as at the start.

So. My question is this: will buds continue to cure even when they are dry and almost crumble, if not, does rehydrating the buds help the curing?

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
Hi everyone, so I harvested a blue dream about 5 weeks ago, it dried in about 5 days, then I jarred it and began curing, burping daily for the first two weeks then every other day.

The buds started off smelling like hay after I jarred it and even now, 4 weeks later it still doesn't smell right. It's now at a point where there's very little humidity left in the buds.

When I break the buds up they smell amazing but the jar smell is still very hay-like, but not as bad as at the start.

So. My question is this: will buds continue to cure even when they are dry and almost crumble, if not, does rehydrating the buds help the curing?
You may have harvested a little early.
Rehydrating wont help in this case and may cause mold.
Over a week is usually a good drying time.
Plus this burping on a schedule thing is bs. You burp it if its moist (well not moist moist but you know), if not don’t. You may have overdried with all that burping daily for 2 weeks stuff too.
In anycase a fast dry locks that hay smell.
Tho the only time i got that was when i harvested prematurely.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Once things get dried too early, then the flavor enhancement stops. Curing allows some of the heavy chlorophyll to break down, similar to the way leaves change in the fall. They turn colors because they were dried and killed slowly, allowing the chlorophylls to dissipate. If you just cut the leaves off and dried them quickly, the chlorophyll degradation doesn't happen and the hay smell and dense green flavor will remain. Once it is too dry, the process stops and you have your finished product.
Sometimes it helps to add a small wedge of an apple slice to a loose jar or container...the apple will re-hydrate it slowly and it helps with the taste...maybe from Ethelene gas release. Be very careful as it can cause mold if you don't stay on top of it religiously and keep it loose to allow the moisture to spread out evenly, avoiding wet spots. Reommended for otherwise trashed buds. Be careful of mold!!

Madmax

Madmax

I dont think you actually completely dried all of it.it only takes a couple buds not dried enough to cause the hay smell...and thats mold..

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Well one way to get rid of the hay smell is via uv cure. The “light will remove the locked in chlorophyll this but since the sucker is dry it may not be an option.
I’d say cure it longer and see if they improve

RippedTorn

RippedTorn

What's the goal exactly? You want the ground smell to fill the jar? If the inner smell is hash/sugary incense/spice (sesquiterp) it could spread outwards over time. If it's delicate monoterps you're after, no. Ive had empty jars that got their sesquiterp smells weeks after being emptied,and held them for years.

I just read a dispensary strain review that claims "the dry smell was replaced by a pungent sweet floral scent." after adding a humidity pack. So if your off your rocker like they are in AZ, you can always pretend. It doesn't work though. Adding moisture won't do anything but make em soft.

Next time grow organic or use less nutes if you want a crop that doesn't go crispy so quickly. Chemmed out grows are the #1 reason for over dried crumbly bud. Most legit dank is stored in bags and never gets sealed up until after cure. With heavily fed hydro it's going to dry out due to lack of secondary metabolites.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
If you want to drive off the chlorophyll, put your overly dried hay in a lg clear plastic ziplock...glass won't work. Add moisture via your choice, but only enough to make things a little springy, then lay them under the lights if you are using HID or Full Spectrum LEDS w/ UV. The UV and near UV will bleach out some of the chlorophyll. Doesn't make em stronger but gets rid of hay taste and more like hash...sorta. Laying in sunlight works too, but don't overdo it.

Daikokuten

Daikokuten

If you want to drive off the chlorophyll, put your overly dried hay in a lg clear plastic ziplock...glass won't work. Add moisture via your choice, but only enough to make things a little springy, then lay them under the lights if you are using HID or Full Spectrum LEDS w/ UV. The UV and near UV will bleach out some of the chlorophyll. Doesn't make em stronger but gets rid of hay taste and more like hash...sorta. Laying in sunlight works too, but don't overdo it.
Aaaand i know my next tests!

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Chlorophyll is water soluble , and if absolutely necessary, one can “wash their buds” do this in deionzed water only. Like soak it for good 5 mins. Then hang. To dry and I mean fast dry. Using di water reduces the risk of mold but one needs to dry the weed again faster , dehumidifier on like 20% and watch the temps , do not allow it to drop below 60 nor higher then 78. This will remove the hay smell and flavor then once dry, start the cure , ensure you don’t over dry again.
The water will contain any “loose” trichomes , strain through mesh 90-220 microns, freeze whatever hash you may catch. , then allow it to dry, (defrost-dry or even freeze dry, lay flat on cookie sheet and just leave in a frost free freezer to dry -7-10 days will be perfect. )
This won’t persay weaken your bud. As you are removing water soluble chlorophyll only but. Risk loosing trichomes that are loose and fall off due to the extra dry buds.
I wash every bud before I dry to begin with so there isn’t a risk with wet bud but dry stufff, it works but understand you are fixing what is bad to begin with

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
You can rehydrate them but it won’t cure anymore. But it’ll make for less harsh, smoother smoke. You can do it with any form of moisture. Some use a damp paper towel, piece of bread, fruit peels (banana, orange, lemon) or just a spray bottle. Just don’t get it too damp and watch closely for mold. Good luck.

Daikokuten

Daikokuten

Chlorophyll is water soluble , and if absolutely necessary, one e can “wash their buds” do this in deionzed water only. Like soak it for good 5 mins. Then hang. To d dry and I mean fast dry. Using di water reduces the risk of mold but one needs to dry the weed again faster , dehumidifier on like 20% and watch the temps , do not allow it to drop below 60 nor higher then 78. This will remove the hay smell and flavor then once dry, start the cure , ensure you don’t over dry again.
The water will contain any “loose” trichomes , strain through mesh 90-220 microns, freeze water ever hash you may catch. , then allow it to dry, (defrost-dry or even freeze dry, lay flat on cookie sheet and just leave in a frost free freezer to dry -7-10 days will be perfect. )
This won’t persay weaken your bud. As you are removing water soluble chlorophyll only but. Risk loosing trichomes that are loose and fall off due to the extra dry buds.
I wash every bud before I dry to begin with so there isn’t a risk with wet bud but dry stufff, it works but understand you are fixing what is bad to begin with
I will add this as the fast dry overlaps. You know what i'm curious about lately? How much thc is actually lost via handling. Is that a part of why homegrown stands above once you have quality genetics? Does that actually effect final quality or does chopping and all that mean we're all losing significant amounts of resin? What about shit growers touching plants? Rack drying matter? Dry trimming matter when the protective leaves come off? Shipping a nightmare or doesn't really matter?

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Chlorophyll is water soluble , and if absolutely necessary, one e can “wash their buds” do this in deionzed water only. Like soak it for good 5 mins. Then hang. To d dry and I mean fast dry. Using di water reduces the risk of mold but one needs to dry the weed again faster , dehumidifier on like 20% and watch the temps , do not allow it to drop below 60 nor higher then 78. This will remove the hay smell and flavor then once dry, start the cure , ensure you don’t over dry again.
The water will contain any “loose” trichomes , strain through mesh 90-220 microns, freeze water ever hash you may catch. , then allow it to dry, (defrost-dry or even freeze dry, lay flat on cookie sheet and just leave in a frost free freezer to dry -7-10 days will be perfect. )

OMG...I just had a flashback to 76, when a friend in Ohio grew a huge tree. We didn't know shit and I think it was a male...it didn't have any buds that I could see or remember and was probably Mexican in origin. The stuff had so much chlorophyll that it was almost black, and Kentucky Bluegrass doesn't taste more than hay! We rinsed the stuff, which removed some of the chlorophyll but also transformed it into something freaky looking...and tasting. The thought of it was really intense when I read your post!! Great Flashback!!:cool:

Daikokuten

Daikokuten

OMG...I just had a flashback to 76, when a friend in Ohio grew a huge tree. We didn't know shit and I think it was a male...it didn't have any buds that I could see or remember and was probably Mexican in origin. The stuff had so much chlorophyll that it was almost black, and Kentucky Bluegrass doesn't taste more than hay! We rinsed the stuff, which removed some of the chlorophyll but also transformed it into something freaky looking...and tasting. The thought of it was really intense when I read your post!! Great Flashback!!:cool:
Your avatar makes me think flashbacks.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I will add this as the fast dry overlaps. You know what i'm curious about lately? How much thc is actually lost via handling. Is that a part of why homegrown stands above once you have quality genetics? Does that actually effect final quality or does chopping and all that mean we're all losing significant amounts of resin? What about shit growers touching plants? Rack drying matter? Dry trimming matter when the protective leaves come off? Shipping a nightmare or doesn't really matter?

Since the THC and resins aren't water soluble, you don't lose much from dissolved THC, mostly from mechanical/rough handling that loosens but doesn't dissolve the resin glands. This is the basis for bubble hash I think. There is a product around Nepal that continuously pounds flower heads/buds with water, as the water drew away all of the chlorophyll and stuff. I can't remember the name but enjoyed it years ago. The greener the buds are and the less they are handled, the less THC you will lose. When the buds get pretty dry, the glands are much easier to dislodge and can be collected for Kif/Hash. So...it depends on a couple of factors but not much is lost if handled fairly carefully. If it's still in bud shape and not smashed to a powder, you have preserved most of the THC. Even if crumbled, the THC is still there, just loose.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter

Imo that’s what separates most commercial from home grown. Commercial bud is handled way too much.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
It all comes down to harvest management in and proper handling.
Wet weed can be handled but. Precautions as to How.
Gloves, tyvek overalls.
Drying environment, must be almost surgical in nature.
Wet trimming speeds the drying and removes larger non usable leaves.
Also reduces chances on transportation of microbes/ insects into drying area.
Hanging is the best method. Less surface area of contact to any adjacent surface.

Post dry handling is very critical.
Trimming is critical to both bag appeal and cure.
Yes you do loose some trichomes .
But if had ya handle it in a manner where you capture all the residue, you have the makings of good hash.
It’s all about understanding the concepts and methods. And treating your end product as if it was a heart transplant operation
The old adage. Cleanliness is next to godliness, is very true.
I’ve seen some very top shelf weed ruined by amateur handling.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Your avatar makes me think flashbacks.

Too many, probably. I bought Jerry G's Limo he made up for his west ccoast shows, shortly before he died. The Van/Limo only had 35K miles...42000 currently. I picked it up off his limo driver in Novato and spent a day or two with a couple of bandmates and his brother Tiff. It has a great vibe and we toured with the Further Bus trip that Zane Kesey drove x-country 2 years ago. Wild Times!!
….sorry for the abrupt turn in discussion!

Daikokuten

Daikokuten

It all comes down to harvest management in and proper handling.
Wet weed can be handled but. Precautions as to How.
Gloves, tyvek overalls.
Drying environment, must be almost surgical in nature.
Wet trimming speeds the drying and removes larger non usable leaves.
Also reduces chances on transportation of microbes/ insects into drying area.
Hanging is the best method. Less surface area of contact to any adjacent surface.

Post dry handling is very critical.
Trimming is critical to both bag appeal and cure.
Yes you do loose some trichomes .
But if had ya handle it in a manner where you capture all the residue, you have the makings of good hash.
It’s all about understanding the concepts and methods. And treating your end product as if it was a heart transplant operation
The old adage. Cleanliness is next to godliness, is very true.
I’ve seen some very top shelf weed ruined by amateur handling.
Just so we understand, i do these things, but i'm still curious to see hard numbers. I'm sure shipping matters, but to what scale? Thank you so much for your reply though. Seriously, great information. Think of dropping a dry bud, or them slamming in jars, how much staying power remains in the dry resin? Any regular kief utilizer knows some but does being on plant matter?

Top Bottom