Harvest Question.

• Thread starter PassTheJ
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

PassTheJ

Has anyone attempted to trim off all the fan leaves a night or 2 before harvesting? Undress the plant while it's still in soil? Any info would help.

Thanks

P

PassTheJ

Its much easier and more efficient to chop the plant down and cut it into secrions and then pull all the fan leaves

And this is a perfect thread for the harvesting and curing section

I swear I looked for a harvesting section but I didn't see it. I'm sorry.

1. Only reason I ask is because I want to wet trim but don't want to effect the nastural dry proccess by trimming before it dries. I figured undressing them the night before my make the wet trim less consequential.

2. I plan on chopping and sectioning branch by branch but only to make the final trim before hanging. My concern was specific to fan leaves. If there is no downside to trimming wet, then I won't bother doing it while it's still in soil..

chemistry

chemistry

I cut, trim, and hang wet, I tried the dry trim way, and what a mess, lots of dried not so frosty bits of leaf stuck to the bud, not for me, but there are some that prefer it that way, personal preference. Do one of each and see which you prefer.

G gnome

G gnome

I swear I looked for a harvesting section but I didn't see it. I'm sorry.

1. Only reason I ask is because I want to wet trim but don't want to effect the nastural dry proccess by trimming before it dries. I figured undressing them the night before my make the wet trim less consequential.

2. I plan on chopping and sectioning branch by branch but only to make the final trim before hanging. My concern was specific to fan leaves. If there is no downside to trimming wet, then I won't bother doing it while it's still in soil..
What difference is it gonna make whether u take the leaves off the plant while its still alive or after u chop it down other than it being much more difficult and taking way longer?

P

PassTheJ

What difference is it gonna make whether u take the leaves off the plant while its still alive or after u chop it down other than it being much more difficult and taking way longer?

Well that's why I asked.. I hear all that cutting and trimming on wet bud can cause an unnatural drying process where the branch doesn't dry evenly.

So I thought what if you trim off the fan leaves while it's still months soil the night before allowing the plant to heal a bit and then just nicely trim and hang..

I don't agree on difficulty. My situation makes it hard to do it all in a single day and I don't mind doing something with them other then looking..

My question was more plant fact based. How the plant reacts to wet trimming before drying and if there are middle solutions like cutting while it's still grounded.

j wizzle

j wizzle

I start to take large fan leaves off during the last 2 weeks to allow light to penetrate further into the canopy and as I chop branches, ill take off the larger fan leaves as well. I leave everything else on and hang dry for a week or so, then put into a big 28 gal tote box as I prepare to trim and that starts the curing process, then directly into jars if its dry enough, or into shoe boxes if it needs to dry out a bit more, and then into jars for a month or more

I hate a wet trim myself. i think it leaves a hay taste, too much chlorophyll is left in the buds

P

PassTheJ

I start to take large fan leaves off during the last 2 weeks to allow light to penetrate further into the canopy and as I chop branches, ill take off the larger fan leaves as well. I leave everything else on and hang dry for a week or so, then put into a big 28 gal tote box as I prepare to trim and that starts the curing process, then directly into jars if its dry enough, or into shoe boxes if it needs to dry out a bit more, and then into jars for a month or more

I hate a wet trim myself. i think it leaves a hay taste, too much chlorophyll is left in the buds

Chlorophyll shouldn't be an issue. How does cutting wet leave more chlorophyll after the dry?

I plan on trimming everything off the night before. Well as much as possible. Then in the morning, cut the branch, give it a quick final trim and hang. This way all I have to do is cut the buds to fit in my jars after it dries.

j wizzle

j wizzle

I believe ive read somewhere that chlorophyll will leave the plant through the leaves when drying, if you cut off all leaves, it stay in the plant. maybe its not chlorophyll, maybe its something else... but in my experience, wet trim is not as nice as dry trimmed. its certainly easier if you just want to get it over with and are just looking for cone shaped flowers. the trim machines cut when flowers are wet, maybe that's why I dislike wet trimmed buds?

Or maybe its chlorophyll will leach back into the buds after trim, and generally with a wet trim, you are leaving more leafy material in the finished product?

Either way, Ive always pulled big fan leaves and hang dried, then boxed and trimmed as need. ultimately its whatever your preference is. DJ Short leaves everything on, even the fan leaves to protect the flowers as they dry.

Last edited:
P

PassTheJ

My concern is lose of trichs too. Once it dries, don't you lose alot more trichs then you would if wet?

j wizzle

j wizzle

My concern is lose of trichs too. Once it dries, don't you lose alot more trichs then you would if wet?

I trim over a bucket and catch any loose trichs and I use the sugar leaf to make bubble hash, so I'm not wasting anything good

this is why I said in your other thread that I don't believe in one specific rule when growing, or anything else for that matter. There are too many opinions and many are valid, even opposing opinions. Some pull at 30% amber, some no amber, etc. its all preference.

Some dry and trim, others trim wet. I guess its just what your preference is but ultimately, you want the drying process to be slow though, I know that.

same thing with flushing, or pulling leaves at all. Some say a flush kills your weed, others say you can taste the chemicals if you don't do a 14 day flush. I personally do a 6-10 day flush and chop when I feel they are ready. Some think pulling fans kills your weight, others think it helps with the lower buds and the plant puts that energy back into the kolas. I personally leave what I can, but I also defoliate to help my canopy. I could be way wrong, but that's my way.

Last edited:
P

PassTheJ

There's plant fact and preference. I've noticed that very few actually understand plant fact and have set their ways based on preference of others.

Something tells me professional growers don't think along the lines of "it's your preference". I'm sure they use plant facts to increase efficiently and quality..

Idk.. man.. I like to do things that actually matter. Not my own personal complexities and bias based on the preferences of others.

That's why I ask alot of questions. Hoping to get someone who can provide a tid bit of factual info that I can then use..

Thejoeybrown

Thejoeybrown

There's plant fact and preference. I've noticed that very few actually understand plant fact and have set their ways based on preference of others.

Something tells me professional growers don't think along the lines of "it's your preference". I'm sure they use plant facts to increase efficiently and quality..

Idk.. man.. I like to do things that actually matter. Not my own personal complexities and bias based on the preferences of others.

That's why I ask alot of questions. Hoping to get someone who can provide a tid bit of factual info that I can then use..
Someone once told me this shit is an art not a science. I tend to lean that way myself

P

PassTheJ

Yea, well there are Rembrandts and then there's the guy in central park..

Top Bottom