Harvest Time-whole Plant Or Mature Buds Only?

• Thread starter StandingRock
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
StandingRock

StandingRock

So it's just about harvest time and I can't figure out if I should chop the whole plant and do a nice slow dry or just cut off buds that are ready(lower buds are still not mature) and dry as slow as I can. What do you all think?

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
So it's just about harvest time and I can't figure out if I should chop the whole plant and do a nice slow dry or just cut off buds that are ready(lower buds are still not mature) and dry as slow as I can. What do you all think?

I prefer to wait for maturity to hit the lower flower site's. Then I harvest the whole plant.

At the end the tops are ridiculous looking (in a good way)

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
My sister dose the two chop method while the tops dry the bottom gets a good burst to finish in the 2 weeks later .
On a side note I had to chop the tops out of my first indoor run due to heat stress I did notice in that time as the tops dryed and cured the bottom sections filled up nicely which redeemed my fail in the grow .

StandingRock

StandingRock

I'm going to try both ways and see how I like it. Everyone brings up great points.

hiboy

hiboy

I've done the 2 part cut
Works if u need to ripen up them lowers and uppers are far enough done
Hb

fatawa

fatawa

I usualy pull twice from my scrog nets..to each is own i gues.u can harvest top(more mature buds) then wait couple wks n pull bottom..or all at once..up to u

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
I take my plants all at once,having said that i think most people pull too soon leaving alot of weight on the table so i tend to go 7-10 days longer than most.
Yes this run im on at the moment I'll be letting them go 10 to 14 days longer I think I fuck up my timing around the flip time anyway I'm going longer 4 the win ...

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

I harvested by eyeball for far too long. The only way to tell is to put the trichomes under a magnifier. Buy a cheap magnifier (Amazon $20) and read up on when to harvest using magnifier to guide you. Weed magazine did a detailed article about 6 months ago. It really opened my eyes. No more guessing

hth

Leew421

Leew421

All about personal preference in the end. Harvest is a subjective subject. The trichs tell all though. For the remaining white hairs, 3 days in the dark at 30%rh should change the colors. I got some that I harvested the lowers first since they finished before the tops.

xavier7995

xavier7995

I think there is something to doing the two stage harvest. That said, I normally check the middle buds and chop whole plant based on that, figuring the tops are a little over and the lowers a bit under done.

The two stage approach seems to make the most sense for home growers that are fully committed to each individual bud reaching max potential. I just pick out the best and the rest goes to the hash n edible pile...I like that to be a large pile.

GanjaNGains

GanjaNGains

I take my plants all at once,having said that i think most people pull too soon leaving alot of weight on the table so i tend to go 7-10 days longer than most.

I patience is key harvest when plants tell you there ready both methods are good only difference one will require more time (taking the top bugs first)

frebo

frebo

Outdoors in S.Oregon I have most always taken the "top" of the plant when the trichomes are starting to turn amber and let the shaded buds grow for another couple of weeks. What I have learned is that the early nice tight buds tend to be more energetic weed, easier to trim and never any worry of mold. The later buds darken in color, usually purple, the high is more couch lock , the buds "fluff" up and are more difficult to trim.
I have also learned to look at more than the trichomes. Different strains will not always finish the same.

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

what u guys think gets you more bud harvest all the big nugs and leave lil ones to get big or harvest of hole plant and get a new plant in its place???

fatawa

fatawa

O thats a tough one.....for me i run perpetual so i always hav another crop days away(every 5.7days)for me i get more pulling 2 times off my net..all the undergrowth is roughly 2 zips,the extra 2wks puts me around 4.sometimes i do just pull it all n use all the undergrowth for edibles cause trimming popcorn buds suck....but i do get more quantity pulling tops and then waiting for undergrowth to mature...

Top Bottom