Harvesting And The "smell"- Essential Oils

• Thread starter hawkman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

hawkman

has anyone noticed that many time's when one harvested (at recommended flower time) it (the buds) have lost some of it;s smell ? Know there are a lot of variblies concerning harvest times. And that "medical marijuana" all-ways smells very good (which sells the product also)
Putting aside all bloom boosters, terpinator, ect here is the remedy. Generally the esssential oils and terpene's start to develope in flower stage and really start to smell in weeks 5-6-7 and seem to not be as strong when harvesting buy trichome color - consider this have found that when harvesting at peak "smell" essential oil productions week 6 (+/-) with 50%cloudy trichomes- keeps the "smell","aroma" and is not lost or decreased Have always waited till all cloudy, amber,50%-50% color,ect and smell was some what lost. Not talking about curing - just the plant when it's in flower stage. Maybe medical marijuana is harvested at peak essential production? But as we all know Genetic's is the answer but we can influence some of the end results.- Thoughts?

DGP

DGP

You ask a very interesting question but I believe the trichs need to at least cloud up fully or your definitely harvesting too early for potency. I have noticed my particularly stinky strain does exactly what you say and the peak fragrance is well before the typical harvest (based on ripeness). Mine also changes scent from roses and cheese to more of a piney smell at harvest.

Dee

H

hawkman

You ask a very interesting question but I believe the trichs need to at least cloud up fully or your definitely harvesting too early for potency. I have noticed my particularly stinky strain does exactly what you say and the peak fragrance is well before the typical harvest (based on ripeness). Mine also changes scent from roses and cheese to more of a piney smell at harvest.

Dee
yea ! seem when you need to harvest generally 100 % cloudy for highest thc ( which we know that one can never get 100% all ways some clear and if you go 10% (+/-) amber "smell" decreses? Kow that Terpinator (chemical), Terpenz(organic) products for terpene and essential oil production ; the stuff does work. but next harvest going to harvest when they smell is strongest and hope that they are some what lose to harvest time - HEY !! ------ Jet just harvest one side of the plant !!!!!! what about the 1/2 plant harvest ant any rate the second half will be stronger because of the additional stress !! -

DGP

DGP

Good idea for a simple test. I would like to see data but data like that costs. What would be cool is to get a cannibinoid profile on both (1/2 the plant harvested early and half late) including terpenes. Then you could maybe see the different balance in say THC and the various terpenes are at the early phase as well as the "ripe" phase.

Dee

Monster762

Monster762

I’ll agree I notice smell drop as I push 8-10 weeks. Only finished 2 grows. First went pure amber but lost the good weed smell. Second was clones of the first grow and I harvested earlier. Those buds did smell better and weren’t as bitter. Not harsh like dried wrong. The Amber trichs had a bitter taste and smell the earlier harvested second run was better tasting and still potent now the amber was little heavier hitting but the earlier harvest was more similar to what I’d get if I was buying weed far as smell taste color.

RippedTorn

RippedTorn

There's no such thing as an 8 week strain.. Thats your answer.. Bastard faggot scumbag scammer conman genetics. Trying to get a 20 week strain into a fucking month. Well you got everything off pace, breeders. The high never develops, the terps come before the buds develop, but who cares it weighs more, right?

I hate what weed has become so much I'm going back to hermie crops. No sitting around for days waiting to see if beans are gonna pop. Maybe someday i will name my bagseeds, when they are the last bud on earth that has a smell.

H

hawkman

thanks guy's - glad you answered (thought I was going nut's) will do the 1/2 harvest. yea if one does harvest when trichome are a high% amber count seems there is a trade off - thanks for you guy's thoughts

Monster762

Monster762

thanks guy's - glad you answered (thought I was going nut's) will do the 1/2 harvest. yea if one does harvest when trichome are a high% amber count seems there is a trade off - thanks for you guy's thoughts
Yup I did pure amber trichs personally this went too far. The trichs went pure amber then just amber tips. It was strong but there was a bitterness. Not chlorophyll. Even after month cured it had a bitter taste. Smooth sweet exhale but intake was bitter. Left bitter taste in mouth too. But did sure enough couch lock anyone that tried it. It was green crack from crop king. This is Amber trich plant at harvest. Also was first grow. I waited full 10 weeks. Clones of same plant harvested 8 weeks later. Total 8 week flower. They cured a lot easier and right off the pant drying before cure wasn’t as bitter.

8B768FB5 4D9A 4A41 85BD E4BB450E47B7
00A26FC9 4EBE 49A3 A2F4 8D2B9C7319F8
Monster762

Monster762

Yup I did pure amber trichs personally this went too far. The trichs went pure amber then just amber tips. It was strong but there was a bitterness. Not chlorophyll. Even after month cured it had a bitter taste. Smooth sweet exhale but intake was bitter. Left bitter taste in mouth too. But did sure enough couch lock anyone that tried it. It was green crack from crop king. This is Amber trich plant at harvest. Also was first grow. I waited full 10 weeks. Clones of same plant harvested 8 weeks later. Total 8 week flower. They cured a lot easier and right off the pant drying before cure wasn’t as bitter.
Trichs go cloudy and part amber if you wait for pure amber a lot go clear except the tip real dark.

H

hawkman

Here is the best time to harvest for peak essential oil (when plant is really smelling)(maybe around week 6? have to experiment with this part week 7/ maybe to late ?) _ when 40-50% pistals have darken & curled up and about 50% of trichomes are cloudy/milky. you will get great smell and taste and good "high" rather than just getting high and lazy. Know I'm going to -like I mentioned - harvest 1/2 plant at mentioned time and let the other half go till I generally harvest. thoughts ?????????????????????

Top Bottom