Has anybody here used mmj for Gout?

• Thread starter medicalgrowman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
medicalgrowman

medicalgrowman

I've been a heavy drinker of MicroBrew style Beers(Ales) for many years.
(I can't stand budweiser, coors, miller etc.)

Recently, I have developed painful swelling in one of my toes and the foot also swells-up.
I'm thinking it's most likely GOUT.
I guess I'll have to severely cut-back on the beer!

Has anybody here used mmj or oil for treating Gout?
Please share your experiences!
Thanx!

Natural

Natural

That happens to a friend of mine when he drinks beer..keep telling him to smoke cannabis instead. I think it clears up soon after he stops drinking..but he gets incapacitated by it.

medicalgrowman

medicalgrowman

That happens to a friend of mine when he drinks beer..keep telling him to smoke cannabis instead. I think it clears up soon after he stops drinking..but he gets incapacitated by it.

Yeah, it sucks, because I LOVE the taste and buzz of quality microbrewed Ales!
I find mmj to be an enjoyable but different kind of high.
I guess I'll just have to stick to mmj for the most part from now on.
I'd like to try rubbing some hash oil on my gout to see how it affects it.

Natural

Natural

Fuck yes it should help..smoking and eating it..not sure the effects of oil on skin..but it could help. I think it's similar to arthritis in that it attacks joints..toes, knees, hips etc.
I think you should go to clinic to get a script...supposed to really help..but go generic and remember that gout is for life and so are the meds. I think it's hereditary too.

SonOfDaMourning

SonOfDaMourning

Try making iso with the leaves veg or flower and mix with olive oil, the thc isn't what your after so u can use a male. If you want to test the plant, chew a leaf and see if you get a numbing effect, it should last 15-40seconds that's what you want. I never tried it but I've heard of this method and I've experienced the numbing effect upon chewing leaves. If I had gout or joint pain I'd give it a shot

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Isn't gout the equivalent of kidney stones? If so, you need to change your diet accordingly, or there will be nothing cannabis can do if it's truly anything like kidney stones. I've got too much experience with those things, I tell you what.

Are you certain it's gout? If so, a trip to a doctor may really be in order here, too.

medicalgrowman

medicalgrowman

And unfortunately, some Dr's seem to be somewhat idiot's themselves!
My Dr. seems to know very little concerning Gout.
I had asked him for a prescription to lower my uric acid levels, but instead he gave me a prescription for an anti-inflammatory which does nothing to cure Gout!
Some Dr's haven't done much to update their medical knowledge since they graduated med school 20 years ago. Nowadays, anybody can find a wealth of info concerning Gout
on the internet. I truly believe I know more about Gout than my Dr.
Of-course you can't believe everything you read on the internet, so I check several sources of info to weed-out faulty info.

weed doesnt cure everything dude.....

sometimes there are these people called doctors ya gotta see. not an online weed forum. that sounds serious hope you the best.

jaredman

jaredman

gout is from the formation of crystalized uric acid in your joints. the only thing that cures gout is to get rid of the uric acid. drink lots of water and eat much less protein. mmj may help with the pain though but it really did nothing for me when I had gout in my ankle. think of gout as sand in your joints slashing and grinding up everything, the pain I experienced when I had it would def be enough to change my habits. Also there are preventative medicines that can be prescribed but mmj does not for actual cause or cure

jaredman

jaredman

this is crazy because I haven't had gout in like over a year but today after talking about it in this thread, BAM, gout in the ankle. The real medicine for dissolving the uric acid is called indomethacin. My doctor says I get it when I get dehydrated because I don't really drink beer often and have no other real habits to form the uric acid. Go and tell your doctor to test your uric acid levels and request this medicine if yours are too high.

dirk d

dirk d

Actually there is some people trying Rick Simpson Oil for this and the results have been promising. And todays Doctor's are no longer Healers but Reps for Big Pharma. Always see a nutritionist first. good luck.

Ohiofarmer

Ohiofarmer

And unfortunately, some Dr's seem to be somewhat idiot's themselves!
My Dr. seems to know very little concerning Gout.
I had asked him for a prescription to lower my uric acid levels, but instead he gave me a prescription for an anti-inflammatory which does nothing to cure Gout!
Some Dr's haven't done much to update their medical knowledge since they graduated med school 20 years ago. Nowadays, anybody can find a wealth of info concerning Gout
on the internet. I truly believe I know more about Gout than my Dr.
Of-course you can't believe everything you read on the internet, so I check several sources of info to weed-out faulty info.
I went to dr. ohio's office today and asked him about this and he said you are more then likely extremely dehydrated, make sure to drink a half to whole gallon or more of fresh clean water every day, if you can make sure it's structured water, also a week to 2 weeks of good exercise, doesn't have to be strenuous, and you should feel much better, also berries and other alkali foods should help as well.......and the cannabis oil really will help many many issues that some people just seem to find impossible to believe....hope this helps...get well

TheTommyK

TheTommyK

Ok if I can chime in here as an alcoholic with Gout ..... IME weed doesn't do much in the way of directly curing, repairing or for dissolving the uric acid in your joints. What it does do ..... is allow me NOT TO DRINK!!!!! and therefore i don't feel the affects of gout from alcohol.
I am not confirming or denying the use of it medically, all I'm saying is it has allowed me to fight the alcoholism, and therefore, all the free little gifts alcoholics get at the bottom of every bottle.... like gout.

I know that sounds like saying the safest way not get hurt skiing, is not to ski ..... but what I am trying to say i guess is, pot helps you with gout if you are an alcoholic, but not if you aren't ...

dirk d

dirk d

Well we need to be clear that smoking Flowers and Concentrated Oils(created by chemists) are different and will treat different issues. If you can find some oils that are made properly, I would say try it and let us all know. Again key word is Properly made oils. good luck.

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

Use tincture to make a lotion, apply lotion on a piece of gauze. Wrap painful area for an hour two to three times a day. Really helps out, I looked into it for my dad long time brick mason with gout everywhere. He had to changes his diet as well.

Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

I have a couple patients who have gout and come in to the shop to get some goodies. Sometimes it is a matter of combining edibles, a salve and some smoke.. Sometimes but not always. If you're in CA cannabliss care make a MUSCLE AND NERVE salve and a CHRONIC PAIN salve. I've used both both work well, also try the CHEEBA CHEW COMPANY. They have high grade hash oil taffys, but its more like a tootsie roll. My favorite edible and they come in a variety of mg from 74, 112, 180 as well as indica, sativa, and hybrids.. They also have a CBD chew as well! Cheeba has a website, they're from COlorado.

Blaze

Blaze

I've had to deal with it a for a few years now, it sucks. Cannabis can help with the pain when you do get a flare up but it does not help with the root cause of the problem. When I do get a flare up I take lots of bong rips, and it helps, but it will not make the pain and swelling go away. Anti-inflammatories do help when you have a flare up, but again, they do not deal with the root cause. Also I found the prescription ones can have nasty side effects, the ones I was on originally made me groggy and irritable and messed with my stomach. A much better alternative is to simply take a large does (800 mg) of Ibuprofen - works just as well as the prescription anti-inflammatory drugs, costs less, and no bad side effects. Cherry juice concentrate, or cherry pills, as others have mentioned, also work wonders. There are prescription drugs you can get that will prevent flare-ups, but you will have to get some blood work done first, and they do not work with everyone. When they do work however, they work well and have little if any side effects.

The most important thing you have to do though is CHANGE YOUR DIET. That is the single most effective step you can take. Now the problem with that is there is a lot of conflicting information out there on what works for gout and what does not. In my research I found just about every food you can think of on the 'safe to eat' lists and the 'do not eat' lists. I can tell you what worked for me however.

The biggest thing that worked for me was reducing my sodium intake. At least for me, reducing my intake of micro-brew had little effect. Since I changed my diet I can still drink all the micro-brew I want with no ill effects. Most pre-made foods have an obscene amount of salt in them. Ditch the Doritos chips, the TV dinners, or basically anything that comes out of a box. Stick to fresh fruits, fresh vegetables, and fresh meats and seafood. If and when you use canned goods, check the sodium levels. Many companies now make 'low sodium' versions of their products. However do not be fooled by 'low sodium' claims on the label. There have been a great number of times I picked up a can of something supposedly 'low sodium' and looked on the label and found it to actually have very high sodium levels, in some cases, higher than the 'normal' version. Also organic canned goods, especially organic canned beans, tend to have much, much lower sodium levels.

In my opinion I think avoiding vegetable oils helps as well. There are no direct studies linking the two, but vegetable oil is incredibly unhealthy, nasty stuff, and does cause inflammation, and based on my own personal experience I think it helps. The good news is if you cut out processed foods from your diet like I recommended you will be cutting out vegetable oil as well, as it is also found in large quantities in processed foods. For cooking at home stick to the natural oils - olive, safflower, peanut, coconut, butter, and lard. Do not use vegetable oil or canola oil. Get rid of your table salt as well - it is sodium iodine, not true salt. It not only tastes like crap due to the high level of iodine, but it also counter-acts the salt flavor in food. The result is you have to use more sodium iodine to salt your food than you do natural salt. Switch to kosher salt, sea salt, and canning salt (fine ground sea salt) and you will be able to use less salt in your foods for the same flavor profile.

I try to limit my consumption of beef to once a week, and reducing your meat intake in general will also help. My wife and I eat at least one vegetarian meal a week now, and if I feel like I am getting a flare up, or do get a flare up, I don't eat meat for a few days. There are also lots of foods out there that can lower your blood pH, which is what causes the uric crystals to form. Dairy is actually really good for that, so replace meat with cheese for your protein in meals. Eat lots of dark berries cherries, blueberries, blackberries, etc, they all help but cherries seem to be the most effective. Be sure to drink plenty of water too, dehydration will make gout worse.

Anyway I hope that helps. Since I changed my diet I only get flare ups once or twice a year now. There are still other factors that can contribute to it as well, but diet is the big one. Stress can also contribute, so try to keep your stress levels down. If you can, keep off your feet during a flare up too. Physically stress to your joints can also contribute to incidents. Unfortunately my job involves long hours on my feet and can be high stress, so 'taking it easy' has never been an option for me. Good luck, and feel free to hit me up for some gout friendly recipes if you want.

below frigid

below frigid

Here it is, I have had the gout for years. Yes it's all about diet. They say food high in purines is the gout sufferers enemy. The gout attacks start minimal and eventually get worse and worse. Last time I had a attack I could not walk for a week. Diet and fluids help, but the problem is six months down the line you sort of forget about it and bam another attack. I would get a severe attack about once a year so it's easy to forget and eat too much chocolate, cokes, meat, beer, shellfish, etc. Now for the good news and believe me I tried everything. I started taking allopurinal, it's inexpensive around $12 for a 30 day supply and have not experienced any side effects. I take one pill every mourning and have not had a gout attack in over 3 years. Diet moderation will help but you never know when your going to get a attack. Once an attack starts it pretty much is going to run it's course. Trick is not to have an attack. ALLOPURINAL your choice, suffer or not. It only gets worse!

frebo

frebo

Here it is, I have had the gout for years. Yes it's all about diet. They say food high in purines is the gout sufferers enemy. The gout attacks start minimal and eventually get worse and worse. Last time I had a attack I could not walk for a week. Diet and fluids help, but the problem is six months down the line you sort of forget about it and bam another attack. I would get a severe attack about once a year so it's easy to forget and eat too much chocolate, cokes, meat, beer, shellfish, etc. Now for the good news and believe me I tried everything. I started taking allopurinal, it's inexpensive around $12 for a 30 day supply and have not experienced any side effects. I take one pill every mourning and have not had a gout attack in over 3 years. Diet moderation will help but you never know when your going to get a attack. Once an attack starts it pretty much is going to run it's course. Trick is not to have an attack. ALLOPURINAL your choice, suffer or not. It only gets worse!
This sounds familiar but have to supplement allopurinol with indomethacin because I too love that microbrew beer. When you live in the northwest these breweries are everywhere. I do think that DRINKING WATER is one of the most important treatment for gout and probably a lot of other diseases. No, I mean MORE WATER THAN YOU ARE THINKING. PLAIN WATER.

Top Bottom