Has Anyone Tried Methanol For Heat Tolerance?

• Thread starter Jimster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Quite a while ago I read an article, maybe in High Times, about using methanol to prevent heat damage. I don't remember all of the details, but a small amount of dry gas/methanol was mixed with the water an exposed to very warm growing conditions.
From my memory, which is suspect, the methanol somehow raised the maximum temps that they can still grow, as after a certain temp, photosynthesis stops until it cools down again. Methanol also provided protection against scorching to some degree.
It doesn't get too hot around here and I've added methanol with no ill effects, so I don't know if it helps at all or just urban legend. Anybody ever hear or try this??

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Heya bud,

Never heard of this but a quick google search led me to this http://hortsci.ashspublications.org/content/31/7/1092.full.pdf

I would (personally speaking) find a better way to address that issue. Get an A/C, raise your lights, work with strains that are not a sensitive to high temps, etc. Just my 2 cents..

Thank you for digging this up. This appears to be the article I was thinking about. Back when I first read it, I poorly understood some of the terminology and references, but it makes better sense now. It doesn't look promising, but a bottle of dry gas is pretty cheap.

Top Bottom