Hawaii Drying

• Thread starter Fordacus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

Fordacus

I live in Hawaii, generally 70-85F and 60-80%RH.
So i am designing a new dry set up.
So far i am planning to get a grow tent and put my dehumidifier inside, but dehumidifier would create a lot of heat so i was planning on getting a portable ac (Craigslist nearby for $100).
I really want to find a white grow tent, but figuring the interior color won’t matter for drying I would get a black/white tent n flip it inside out. Or should i get a reg. black/reflect tent to reverse it for drying and if i ever want to grow in it i could flip it back to right side out.
Would a white exterior keep it cooler than a reflective one?
I would have a few fans, dehumidifier, and a portable ac connected to the window. Would I need a separate vent system?

Thank you, Hawaii beginner appreciates your experience and advice

Polar510

Polar510

Hmm not sure Man seems like You may be overthinking it a bit.
If You get a decent AC it will cool the room and also dehumidify it, just throw it up in a standard tent.

F

Fordacus

Hmm not sure Man seems like You may be overthinking it a bit.
If You get a decent AC it will cool the room and also dehumidify it, just throw it up in a standard tent.
Thanks for the feedback, I do agree I am overthinking it a bit, but was curious about the reflective vs white. Do you think I would need a real ventilation system even with the portable ac unit in the tent?

Polar510

Polar510

I think You might be better off controlling the room temp separate from the tent. That way You can dial in humidity with a passive intake fan + speed controller. Then You can fill that tent with plants instead of cooling equipment.
What kind of light are You going to use? If extreme heat is an issue maybe a t5 would be a good option.

Enforcer

Enforcer

If you only plan on using the tent to dry in. This is how I would do it.

I dry in the dark, so the inside color or reflectivity of the tent doesn’t matter. A standard grow tent, set up normally will be fine. I want my humidity around 55-60% inside the tent. To accomplish that, I would set up the tent in a room I could control the temperature in. Then use my dehumidifier to drop the room humidity to my target range.

I would then use an exhaust fan to remove the humid air out of the tent and vent it out a window. And passively pull in the low humidity air from the room. I use a humidity/dehumidifier controller to turn the the fan on and off, and a speed controller to slow the fan and not move too much air. I don’t want them to dry too fast.

I would also place a small clip fan pointed at a wall (not the buds) in the tent to circulate air inside.

With this set up and keeping the room at around 65-70*F, it should take about 8-10 days to dry a harvest......that’s perfect.

Enforcer

Enforcer

I would also get the AC unit first, cool the room, and see where the RH is at. AC units naturally reduce humidity. May find that a dehumidifier isn’t necessary.

F

Fordacus

If you only plan on using the tent to dry in. This is how I would do it.

I dry in the dark, so the inside color or reflectivity of the tent doesn’t matter. A standard grow tent, set up normally will be fine. I want my humidity around 55-60% inside the tent. To accomplish that, I would set up the tent in a room I could control the temperature in. Then use my dehumidifier to drop the room humidity to my target range.

I would then use an exhaust fan to remove the humid air out of the tent and vent it out a window. And passively pull in the low humidity air from the room. I use a humidity/dehumidifier controller to turn the the fan on and off, and a speed controller to slow the fan and not move too much air. I don’t want them to dry too fast.

I would also place a small clip fan pointed at a wall (not the buds) in the tent to circulate air inside.

With this set up and keeping the room at around 65-70*F, it should take about 8-10 days to dry a harvest......that’s perfect.
Thats is incredibly helpful, thank you so much, I will keep all of that handy
Although, if I were to not cool and dry the entire room, would you have any advice or is that a deal breaker? (I was going to put the tent in my closet which has no doors)

Enforcer

Enforcer

Thats is incredibly helpful, thank you so much, I will keep all of that handy
Although, if I were to not cool and dry the entire room, would you have any advice or is that a deal breaker? (I was going to put the tent in my closet which has no doors)
Maybe, you have to fit the stuff in the tent :( And the air flow in will be more humid. The AC will remove some humidity inside the tent, so you still may not need the dehumidifier. Then you could set your exhaust fan on a timer to just kick on for a few minutes a couple times a day to exchange the air.

F

Fordacus

Maybe, you have to fit the stuff in the tent :( And the air flow in will be more humid. The AC will remove some humidity inside the tent, so you still may not need the dehumidifier. Then you could set your exhaust fan on a timer to just kick on for a few minutes a couple times a day to exchange the air.
Thanks, i will try to fogure out a way to cool and dry the whole room

F

Fordacus

With a low enough humidity, can you dry in high heat? Figuring it would atleast effect potency/taste/overall quality

Latest posts

Top Bottom