• Start date
  • Tagged users None
Y

Yukmouth

i say the bubbler because the water filters out tar from the smoke

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Vaporizer, because it doesn't produce smoke. In fact, both my recommending doc and my regular doc are all over me like white on rice to get a vaporizer.

I

iamachavvy

I agree with seamaiden, it's got to be the vaporiser as the healthiest way to smoke, not my preferred way to smoke though to be honest. but don't knock it till you've tried it :)

T

TheIronLung317

Vaporizer is the healthiest way. I like using the Volcano! You get some nice smell, clean taste, and after a few bags, your straight blown away. Its way easier on your lungs.

F

Farmer Jon

Premium Member
Supporter
There is no healthy way to smoke, although ingesting it orally is safe, effective (if done properly), and causes no harm to the body at all.
With that said...there is nothing like a nice bong hit, it is said that heat is the main cause of most of the health issues associated with smoking marijuana AND A NICE BONG SURE DOES COOL THE TOKE. :animbong:
FJ

R

RareDanknessRep

OK! The science on this one has (thankfully) been lab-tested for about 15 years, but not very commonly published.

When you're dealing with cannabis, you have two variables you're playing with:
1. Cannabinoids
2. Tar

The 'ideal' smoking method will maximize tar filtration and minimize cannabinoid filtration (keep out most of the bad stuff, let through most of the good stuff). The studies done by the MAPS in the 90s looked at these variables and concluded that the cannabinoid:tar ratio is the key thing to look at in cannabis smoke. Their findings for cannabinoid:tar ratio looked like this:
Cannabinoid:Tar Ratio
(Best)
Vaporizer
Unfiltered joint
Unfiltered pipe
Filtered joint
Waterpipe
(Worst)

Tar in Smoke
(Most)
Unfiltered pipe
Unfiltered joint
Filtered Joint
Waterpipe
Vaporizer
(Least)

Cannabinoids in Smoke

(Most)
Unfiltered joint
Unfiltered pipe
Filtered joint
Water pipe
Vaporizer
(Least)

The study found a few surprising things:
1. That water filters cannabinoids MORE effectively than tar. In other words, if your smoke passes through water, it will negatively affect the cannabinoid:tar ratio.
2. That vaporizers produce virtually no tar, but that (especially after the first hit) they are extremely inefficient at vaporizing cannabinoids other than THC (ie CBD, CBN, CBG, CBC, etc.) and, more significantly, cannot produce vapor at a temperature that is also hot enough to decarboxylate the THC-acid (inert/immature THC) in the bud into delta-9 THC (psychoactive THC)
3. That unfiltered joints had a far superior cannabinoid:tar ratio than any smoking method available to them because the roach collected tars extremely efficiently without over-filtering cannabinoids. (Even a joint with a cigarette filter in it did very poorly at letting the sticky cannabinoid molecules pass through).

As Farmer Jon said, heat is one of the big problems with smoke, though, and an unfiltered joint doesn't do much to reduce heat. The three primary health concerns with cannabis smoke are:
1. Tar (self explanatory - gooey carbon-rich crap that clogs up your lungs and may be carcinogenic [but probably isn't in cannabis smoke])
2. Respiratory strain (coughing, hacking, wheezing, and generally creating suction to clear tubes and fill your lungs with smoke are not super-healthy for your body - they effect everything from your blood pressure to your heart rate, body temperature, and possibly even blood glucose levels and glycemic index. On top of the overall strain, all that hacking can open up small cuts in your respiratory system that open the door to infections)
3. Heat (Heat nukes the cilia [tiny hairs that move mucous in your lungs], making it harder for your body to clear its airways - it can also cause convulsions in the lungs and diaphragm, just like harsh smoke - this is why medical patients with respiratory problems often still cough heavily when using vaporizers)

I researched the hell out of all this stuff when we were designing the Incredibowl - it was engineered with every available study on cannabinoid transfer rate and cannabinoid:tar ratios. The four of us who designed it - and hundreds of patients we've worked with - strongly feel that, because of this, it is the 'healthiest'/least harmful way to smoke

FULL DISCLOSURE: I *do not* have lab tests to back it up, just the logical engineering decisions of four smart people and the anecdotal responses of people who have used the device. Thus, this concludes any talk about the Incredibowl - PM me if you're burning to know more.

FYI - the biggest 'problem' that the studies found with the unfiltered joints is that the majority of cannabinoids in the joint were lost through side-stream smoke (ie smoke that burned off the end without getting inhaled), so if you're in a pinch, roll a J - but always remember to hotbox :)

beezleb878

beezleb878

If you have no flavor in your vape, your not vaping correct in generic terms but some herb simply does not vaporize well, though not as common but does happen. A knock off vape is no different than any other type of cheap knock off and you get what you pay for. Years ago their were more shady vapes than quality ones but that is and in my view has changed.

It is also not uncommon for some smokers to simply be to used to smoke and the effects smoke has on your lungs when it hits and since vapor is not assaulting you like smoke does your body does not defend from it to the same degree. This aspect is commonly discussed amongst vapist and newer people vaping.

I also believe if your early examples of vaping are from poor vapes than your experience is likely tainted but I also do not advise people to blindly just buy quality vapes as it is not for everyone.

Some good vids on vaping:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Dtvs8fMxLE[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9luNVYlT_E&oref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fuckcombustion.com%2Fviewtopic.php%3Fpid%3D132120&has_verified=1[/YOUTUBE]

T

treehugger

OK! The science on this one has (thankfully) been lab-tested for about 15 years, but not very commonly published.

When you're dealing with cannabis, you have two variables you're playing with:
1. Cannabinoids
2. Tar

The 'ideal' smoking method will maximize tar filtration and minimize cannabinoid filtration (keep out most of the bad stuff, let through most of the good stuff). The studies done by the MAPS in the 90s looked at these variables and concluded that the cannabinoid:tar ratio is the key thing to look at in cannabis smoke. Their findings for cannabinoid:tar ratio looked like this:
Cannabinoid:Tar Ratio
(Best)
Vaporizer
Unfiltered joint
Unfiltered pipe
Filtered joint
Waterpipe
(Worst)

Tar in Smoke
(Most)
Unfiltered pipe
Unfiltered joint
Filtered Joint
Waterpipe
Vaporizer
(Least)

Cannabinoids in Smoke

(Most)
Unfiltered joint
Unfiltered pipe
Filtered joint
Water pipe
Vaporizer
(Least)

The study found a few surprising things:
1. That water filters cannabinoids MORE effectively than tar. In other words, if your smoke passes through water, it will negatively affect the cannabinoid:tar ratio.
2. That vaporizers produce virtually no tar, but that (especially after the first hit) they are extremely inefficient at vaporizing cannabinoids other than THC (ie CBD, CBN, CBG, CBC, etc.) and, more significantly, cannot produce vapor at a temperature that is also hot enough to decarboxylate the THC-acid (inert/immature THC) in the bud into delta-9 THC (psychoactive THC)
3. That unfiltered joints had a far superior cannabinoid:tar ratio than any smoking method available to them because the roach collected tars extremely efficiently without over-filtering cannabinoids. (Even a joint with a cigarette filter in it did very poorly at letting the sticky cannabinoid molecules pass through).

As Farmer Jon said, heat is one of the big problems with smoke, though, and an unfiltered joint doesn't do much to reduce heat. The three primary health concerns with cannabis smoke are:
1. Tar (self explanatory - gooey carbon-rich crap that clogs up your lungs and may be carcinogenic [but probably isn't in cannabis smoke])
2. Respiratory strain (coughing, hacking, wheezing, and generally creating suction to clear tubes and fill your lungs with smoke are not super-healthy for your body - they effect everything from your blood pressure to your heart rate, body temperature, and possibly even blood glucose levels and glycemic index. On top of the overall strain, all that hacking can open up small cuts in your respiratory system that open the door to infections)
3. Heat (Heat nukes the cilia [tiny hairs that move mucous in your lungs], making it harder for your body to clear its airways - it can also cause convulsions in the lungs and diaphragm, just like harsh smoke - this is why medical patients with respiratory problems often still cough heavily when using vaporizers)

FYI - the biggest 'problem' that the studies found with the unfiltered joints is that the majority of cannabinoids in the joint were lost through side-stream smoke (ie smoke that burned off the end without getting inhaled), so if you're in a pinch, roll a J - but always remember to hotbox :)

This should be stickied!

I would add that all research since this study above, has failed anything toxic about smoking the good old J. If you have respiratory concerns, the Vaporizer is a wonderful alternative, but fear not the Joint and a little down home smoke.

R

RareDanknessRep

This should be stickied!

I would add that all research since this study above, has failed anything toxic about smoking the good old J. If you have respiratory concerns, the Vaporizer is a wonderful alternative, but fear not the Joint and a little down home smoke.

I've got those studies saved somewhere, as well as graphs from the study's data (Gieringer Water Pipe Study, by Dale Gieringer, et al) comparing combustion & vaporization for THC & CBD... I'll dig 'em up and get 'em posted

I

iamachavvy

I've got those studies saved somewhere, as well as graphs from the study's data (Gieringer Water Pipe Study, by Dale Gieringer, et al) comparing combustion & vaporization for THC & CBD... I'll dig 'em up and get 'em posted
Let me know where you post them, i want a read :)

K

kolah

I use a nice wood pipe with a clean screen, I usully take 4-5 small hits in the evening and thats it. I get exposed to car exhaust fumes, wood dust and other crap which in my opinion is much more damaging than a few hits of high quality mj.

Vapes? the prices turn me off...bigtime....and I won't buy a cheapy either.

This is why I only smoke top-shelf reefer. I only need a few hits to keep me happy. And another reason why I only grow and buy organic.

V

VolcanoVapin

No taste with vaporizers.

I prefer a bowl. A few hits and I am good to go.

Bullshit. The taste of the vapor out of a volcano is WAY better than any subtle taste you might notice hidden in smoke. Any time I occasionally smoke now, I don't even like it. I can't taste anything but tar... maybe a slightly subtle taste hidden under the smoke, but it's nowhere near as pronounced (or as good) as out of the volcano.

I've heard cheap vapes don't keep the taste all that well, but the volcano definitely does.

K

kolah

And I double your bullshit!

I like seeing the smoke too. :) 200-300 bucks for a smoke machine? nah.

V

VolcanoVapin

And I double your bullshit!

I like seeing the smoke too. :) 200-300 bucks for a smoke machine? nah.

Try more like $500-$600, but it's not a smoke machine and doesn't produce smoke. It produces pure thc (and other cannabinoids) in vapor form. Yeah, it's expensive, but there's a reason it's expensive. It's healthier, conserves weed A LOT (really efficient), tastes WAY better, gets you high as fuck, and the high is more clean and pure feeling... no drowsiness from breathing in
carbon monoxide... It's just all around better.

Darth Fader

Darth Fader

No taste with vaporizers.
I prefer a bowl. A few hits and I am good to go.

You must of done something wrong or used a crappy vaporizer. You can get a Da Budda for $190 which is well worth it compared to the price of quality glass IMO. Built like a tank & I've never gotten flavor this good. You REALLY can tell exactly what a strain tastes like when vaped. There is no masking of flavor by the smoke. I seriously have tasted weed in the vape and been shocked because I completely missed them when smoking. You should give vaping another shot w/ a dank OG. You'll see.

Try more like $500-$600, but it's not a smoke machine and doesn't produce smoke. It produces pure thc (and other cannabinoids) in vapor form. Yeah, it's expensive, but there's a reason it's expensive. It's healthier, conserves weed A LOT (really efficient), tastes WAY better, gets you high as fuck, and the high is more clean and pure feeling... no drowsiness from breathing in
carbon monoxide... It's just all around better.

I also agree that it's a cleaner high. I do like all forms of smoking although I have trouble with ripping bongs & painful coughing (sux), but one of the reasons I like to vape is that my sinuses get inflamed/irritated by smoke. Makes it hard to breath at night. The only negative to vaping is that vapor can be hot & dry on the throat too. That problem is solved by going vape> bong or bubbler. Ice-chilled vapor hits are the dogs bollocks. Supreme Flavor!

Tropical

Tropical

You must of done something wrong or used a crappy vaporizer. You can get a Da Budda for $190 which is well worth it compared to the price of quality glass IMO. Built like a tank & I've never gotten flavor this good. You REALLY can tell exactly what a strain tastes like when vaped. There is no masking of flavor by the smoke. I seriously have tasted weed in the vape and been shocked because I completely missed them when smoking. You should give vaping another shot w/ a dank OG. You'll see.

I also agree that it's a cleaner high. I do like all forms of smoking although I have trouble with ripping bongs & painful coughing (sux), but one of the reasons I like to vape is that my sinuses get inflamed/irritated by smoke. Makes it hard to breath at night. The only negative to vaping is that vapor can be hot & dry on the throat too. That problem is solved by going vape> bong or bubbler. Ice-chilled vapor hits are the dogs bollocks. Supreme Flavor!
Hey Darth Fader, I'm kinda new to smoking, started a year ago, I just buy it, won't grow since I'm not interested in but I'm looking at ways of smoking it healthier and getting the most out of it. Would you suggest getting a vape like that to smoke what we call here "crippy" which I believe it's just a general term for good weed, when we buy around here it's hard to know the exact strain sometimes. Would it be worth it for me to get a vape like the Da Budda?

Top Bottom