Heat Hlg 600 Quantum Vs 1000w Hps

• Thread starter MeanGreen420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MeanGreen420

MeanGreen420

My question is.... is anyone using hlg 600 quantum and could tell me if it's less heat than 1000w hps??? Having heat issues with hps, and want to switch to led if significant less heat. Thanks

B

Burned Haze

50%-60ish% positive is my guess , but it’s a guess

Sorry i couldn’t help you on quantum boards, I’m sure someone will help

I know my cob’s, spydrx plus are 50%-60%+ positive difference in heat and they can be so much closer (12 inches -16 inches cob , 6-8 inches spydrx with 3ft depth) and hps Has be ft’s away lol

MeanGreen420

MeanGreen420

50%-60ish% positive is my guess , but it’s a guess

Sorry i couldn’t help you on quantum boards, I’m sure someone will help

I know my cob’s, spydrx plus are 50%-60%+ positive difference in heat and they can be so much closer (12 inches -16 inches cob , 6-8 inches spydrx with 3ft depth) and hps Has be ft’s away lol
50% less heat?

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

My question is.... is anyone using hlg 600 quantum and could tell me if it's less heat than 1000w hps??? Having heat issues with hps, and want to switch to led if significant less heat. Thanks

I've never used HPS for a grow but but I do know they put out significantly more heat than COBs. COBs are extremely efficient, that means that where an HPS loses a large amount of the supplied energy to heat, a COB applies most of that energy to emitted light with little loss to heat. Most standard LEDs can't stand up to a COB's efficiency either. That's why Quantum boards don't generally require active cooling (fans), but instead use finned heat sinks. Not all Cobs are created equal though and their efficiency varies a great deal between high and low end units. I'm using high end Cree CXB3590s in my tent and am easily growing four plants through harvest using less than 250w wall draw. When I first used them I was absolutely blown away at how powerful they were. I thought that I'd have to set them 8-10" above my plants but at that distance I was cooking them. My lights need to be at least 18" above the girls and I'm only running my 200w fixture at 70% power. If I were growing in a room instead of tent, with a higher ceiling, I'm betting my 200w fixture could grow 6 plants or more.

20180928 062121

You can pick up a 300w Cree CXB3590 fixture for as little as $300 on Amazon (a version of mine without the case), even less if you order direct from China.

51d5yWVEMGL AC SY400

https://www.amazon.com/Spectrum-Gen...=cxb3590x3&dpPl=1&dpID=418dhKBlZ7L&ref=plSrch

Quantum boards are just COBs in an array and I'm sure you'll do well with either one.

F

FutureGrower

I've never used HPS for a grow but but I do know they put out significantly more heat than COBs. COBs are extremely efficient, that means that where an HPS loses a large amount of the supplied energy to heat, a COB applies most of that energy to emitted light with little loss to heat. Most standard LEDs can't stand up to a COB's efficiency either. That's why Quantum boards don't generally require active cooling (fans), but instead use finned heat sinks. Not all Cobs are created equal though and their efficiency varies a great deal between high and low end units. I'm using high end Cree CXB3590s in my tent and am easily growing four plants through harvest using less than 250w wall draw. When I first used them I was absolutely blown away at how powerful they were. I thought that I'd have to set them 8-10" above my plants but at that distance I was cooking them. My lights need to be at least 18" above the girls and I'm only running my 200w fixture at 70% power. If I were growing in a room instead of tent, with a higher ceiling, I'm betting my 200w fixture could grow 6 plants or more.

View attachment 833468

You can pick up a 300w Cree CXB3590 fixture for as little as $300 on Amazon (a version of mine without the case), even less if you order direct from China.

View attachment 833469
https://www.amazon.com/Spectrum-Gen...=cxb3590x3&dpPl=1&dpID=418dhKBlZ7L&ref=plSrch

Quantum boards are just COBs in an array and I'm sure you'll do well with either one.

QB's dont use the same technology as COBs. COBs have dozens of LED diodes focused on a very small chip (cob stands for chip on board.)

Quantum boards use to my knowledge (been 3 or so months since I looked last) samsung s6 diodes which run very cool and efficient. I believe theres multiple spectrums on some qb's too but I may be making that up, my mind is spacey right now.

Strips and qb's are similar but strips have more defused heat since you're placing the led diodes in a longer format. Also you have greater light coverage.

Cobs because they have so many diodes focused on such a small area tend to create smaller hot spots. Much smaller than hps or something though lol

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

QB's dont use the same technology as COBs. COBs have dozens of LED diodes focused on a very small chip (cob stands for chip on board.)

Quantum boards use to my knowledge (been 3 or so months since I looked last) samsung s6 diodes which run very cool and efficient. I believe theres multiple spectrums on some qb's too but I may be making that up, my mind is spacey right now.

Strips and qb's are similar but strips have more defused heat since you're placing the led diodes in a longer format. Also you have greater light coverage.

Cobs because they have so many diodes focused on such a small area tend to create smaller hot spots. Much smaller than hps or something though lol

Yeah, I misswrote that. I was stoned too. I meant to make a generalised comparison. Not claim that they were the exact same tech. When I wrote "array" I had a picture in my head of a COB broken up and spread out, not multiple COBs. Should have said "like" a disbursed COB.

MeanGreen420

MeanGreen420

Thank you everyone for your info, glad to know I can switch and it'll help with my problem. I'm on my first grow running at 81 degrees with my 600w hps turned to %60 so like 360w. Don't really have a window to vent and using an ac isn't really an option since I'm in older trailer house and already have electric tied up with other things

F

FutureGrower

Yeah, I misswrote that. I was stoned too. I meant to make a generalised comparison. Not claim that they were the exact same tech. When I wrote "array" I had a picture in my head of a COB broken up and spread out, not multiple COBs. Should have said "like" a disbursed COB.

No worries at all bud, I was just trying to get a deeper explanation for someone who doesnt know :)

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Thank you everyone for your info, glad to know I can switch and it'll help with my problem. I'm on my first grow running at 81 degrees with my 600w hps turned to %60 so like 360w. Don't really have a window to vent and using an ac isn't really an option since I'm in older trailer house and already have electric tied up with other things

Yup, same here. In a little 5th wheel on a 20amp breaker. I have AC but don't use it. My trailer is so small my grow tent has to be out on the deck. HPS was never an option for me. Need a couple more 100w panels and another battery and mine will be completely solar.

MeanGreen420

MeanGreen420

Yup, same here. In a little 5th wheel on a 20amp breaker. I have AC but don't use it. My trailer is so small my grow tent has to be out on the deck. HPS was never an option for me. Need a couple more 100w panels and another battery and mine will be completely solar.
That's awesome

F

FutureGrower

How much did you spend on the solar stuff? I was looking into solar roofing but yikes lol. I have a wall on the side of my house that gets at least 12 hours a day of light though. I got stoned enough to think about throwing some of those DIY panels on the side lol

F

FutureGrower

Sounds like LED is your best bet. I've never used a hps setup before though.

If you have enough upfront money to run your LEDs at a lower drive current I think that's the best way to go in the long run... but I'm biased because that's what I did lol

MeanGreen420

MeanGreen420

Sounds like LED is your best bet. I've never used a hps setup before though.

If you have enough upfront money to run your LEDs at a lower drive current I think that's the best way to go in the long run... but I'm biased because that's what I did lol
Looks like hps is only good if you can counter the heat, along with it being cheap upfront, electricity bill with a portable ac alongside hps isn't really worth it. Seems anyway. But the hps light itself is great for plant but just not great for my situation.

Toaster79

Toaster79

QB is still Chip On Board technology just on a larger footprint. Samsung LM561C is a chip (in a package) and it's mounted on a board.

The only difference between COB and QB is that with QB every chip has its own package and with COB they all share one package. And the board of course.

Last edited:
F

FutureGrower

QB is still Chip On Board technology just on a larger footprint. Samsung LM561C is a chip (in a package) and it's mounted on a board.

The only difference between COB and QB is that with QB every chip has its own package and with COB they all share one package. And the board of course.

Thank you sir. I can never remember the s6 name lol I start with lm and give up thinking and just write s6

Latest posts

Top Bottom