Hello All New Farmer Looking For Advice

• Thread starter Callipygous
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Callipygous

Callipygous

hi there everyone,
I’m new to growing anything and just started my first cannabis grow! I did research for a couple months prior, and decided on growing in soil indoors(outdoors isn’t an option, winter wonderland outside). I’m growing in a tent with a led bank as a light source. I planted my seeds 12/22/2017 and today it’s 12/28/2017. I’ll attach photos of what I have so far out of my seedlings. I’m just looking for advice on any potential pitfalls I may encounter.

Hello all new farmer looking for advice
Hello all new farmer looking for advice 2
Hello all new farmer looking for advice 3
Hello all new farmer looking for advice 4
Dan789

Dan789

Congrats on popping your first seeds, and welcome to the farm.
Your opening the door with a question on the potential pitfalls though. Answer to be short are many, too much, not enough water; too much/too hot a mix of nutrients; too much humidity in bloom; bugs, molds.
Watch relative humidity in your grow area, watch grow temps make sure they don’t get too low.
With seeds you shouldn’t have much problem with bugs, but humidity is something that’s got me several times.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Raise your rh A LOT! You should be at 70% minimum in seedling phase. Easy way to do is place sandwich baggies over tips of cups (see pic below, use a spray bottle and mist the inside of baggie). you do have drain holes in bottom of cups, correct?

Lift pots after watering to judge and remember weight. Lift again daily to feel how light the pot is. When lights water again. With seedlings, very little water is needed.

We've all be a newbie grower at some point. Dont try too many new things at once. What works for someone else may or may not work for you.
20171128 202327

Callipygous

Callipygous

Raise your rh A LOT! You should be at 70% minimum in seedling phase. Easy way to do is place sandwich baggies over tips of cups (see pic below, use a spray bottle and mist the inside of baggie). you do have drain holes in bottom of cups, correct?

Lift pots after watering to judge and remember weight. Lift again daily to feel how light the pot is. When lights water again. With seedlings, very little water is needed.

We've all be a newbie grower at some point. Dont try too many new things at once. What works for someone else may or may not work for you. View attachment 767339
Thanks so much for the advice, I’ll get those bags on them right away. And I definitely will watch how much I water from here on out!

D

Deal02

hi there everyone,
I’m new to growing anything and just started my first cannabis grow! I did research for a couple months prior, and decided on growing in soil indoors(outdoors isn’t an option, winter wonderland outside). I’m growing in a tent with a led bank as a light source. I planted my seeds 12/22/2017 and today it’s 12/28/2017. I’ll attach photos of what I have so far out of my seedlings. I’m just looking for advice on any potential pitfalls I may encounter.
My advice to you is too keep things very simple for your first grow my friend and gradually introduce new treatments and experiments once you get the first one under ya belt !! Get a end result with this and learn from it peace ✌

Callipygous

Callipygous

Humidity and heat fall when I exhaust. I have my scrubber on a timer. It’s not always exhausting, I’ll change that when the plants need less humidity.

7A528444 B985 4045 B165 465BCAFD9FE6
DemonTrich

DemonTrich

You don' need to worry so much about rh when you have your plants bagged. The baggies act as a humidome for your plants, and trap moisture.

Also make sure you habe very good air movement. This way mold, mildew, and pm don't have a chance to set up shop.

Callipygous

Callipygous

The soil I use is fox farm ocean Forest on the bottom and Happy frog on top in the cups, I noticed the plants slightly move when watering so I’m careful not to pour too fast, is that because their roots aren’t super developed, and the loamy soil? I am still gonna take your recommendation on watering though

D

Deal02

That’s right buddy , it wouldn’t take much of a tug to pull them up out of the soil , there just baby’s so treat them like a real baby handle with care ! They will soon be teenagers
The soil I use is fox farm ocean Forest on the bottom and Happy frog on top in the cups, I noticed the plants slightly move when watering so I’m careful not to pour too fast, is that because their roots aren’t super developed, and the loamy soil? I am still gonna take your recommendation on watering though

D

Deal02

Also with the watering only water when there dry !! But you must catch them sooner rather than later, make sure every time you water they need it because you will damage the roots

Callipygous

Callipygous

Also with the watering only water when there dry !! But you must catch them sooner rather than later, make sure every time you water they need it because you will damage the roots
That makes good sens, you don’t want to get too behind on it because they’re young, not a huge reserve. Thanks Deal02

D

Deal02

That makes good sens, you don’t want to get too behind on it because they’re young, not a huge reserve. Thanks Deal02
See the thing is over watering drowns them under watering is better as if you under water within half hour of watering they will be back praying to the gods but of course you don’t want to leave more then a day under watered

zeNeTixGeNre

zeNeTixGeNre

Curious how your humidity went from 35% to 74% on your meter what change

I have never once covered seedlings with a plastic bag
If you managed to achieve 74r/h in your room/tent then the bag isn't necessary

SinCity

SinCity

Congrats on your first babies! Yippee! You're gonna have fun. I can tell already. The girls like you. My advice--and it's just my opinion--is to trust yourself. You have not only sprouted two seeds, but rooted them and they are growing. That in itself is not easy!! I'm telling you, the girls like you...

Gather information, study, observe...they will tell you what's going on. As will people--but humans are not nearly as smart as plants.

Again, just my advice (gained over 30 years but still just my perspective), but be sure that the cups/pots not only have holes for drainage but that the surface they are on is more deeply grooved than what I see them in now. And I would keep the soil damp at this stage. If they start to droop, it's too hot under the baggies.

hi there everyone,

SinCity

SinCity

Seedlings and cuttings should stay wet!! Water them every day!!

zeNeTixGeNre

zeNeTixGeNre

Seedlings and cuttings should stay wet!! Water them every day!!

Seedlings and cuttings should not be treated the same
Overwatering is probably the biggest mistake that most new growers make
I strongly disagree with watering seedlings daily
To much water will dampen off your sprout and it will wilt and die
Actually you seed sprouts look just fine in the first picture (minus the paper coffee cup)
Sometimes it's best not to over think growing plants

Latest posts

Top Bottom