Hello Everyone! Newbie Here...

• Thread starter Trailprkgal
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

Trailprkgal

Starting my first indoor grow. I have almost everything I will need(still need to learn all about nutes to use), but I could really use some wisdom when it comes to growing.
I need help hanging my lights, I don't know how far apart to hang them? Should i overlap the foot print? From one light to the next?

My lights...
2x4 Optic Hang Kit (162w) Ă— 1
3500 kelvin
(3cobs)

HLG300Ă—2 LED

Uvb bar California lightworks solar system 24watt
(I would like to hang this in the middle) I will only use it for last 2 weeks of flower.

DGP

DGP

With COBS it is usually said that you should have ~50W to the sq. foot. Some folks run them at 36W. So if your COBs are running 36 to 50 watts space them ever 1 foot. I run 3 65w COBs in my 2X4 veg Tent (up to 240W total, dimmable) and 12 65w (dimmable) in my 4X4 grow space in a 6X4 room.

In my flower room for example I am still vegging for another couple weeks and the plants don't need much light now. I am running 350w out of the wall in the 4X4 and when they flower I'll run that up gradually to 750W out of the wall. At 750w of LED I am getting about the same level of light as a 1K HPS.

Welcome to the forums.

D

Last edited:
T

Trailprkgal

Thanks for the reply D
How many plants do you have under your 3 cobs in your 2x4 tent?
How many plants in your
4x4 tent?
If I have 3 54watt cob spread out and hang my 2x 300hlg led lights beside them, does it stretch out my footprint some?
How far apart are your cobs?
Plants?

DGP

DGP

Thanks for the reply D
How many plants in your
4x4 tent?
If I have 3 54watt cob spread out and hang my 2x 300hlg led lights beside them, does it stretch out my footprint some?
Plants?
Mine are on the 12 inch centers, basically 4 cobs on each bar with 3 bars.
20180115 060358
20180115 060540

DGP

DGP

Thanks for the reply D
How many plants in your
4x4 tent?
Plants?
I have 4 to 6 young vegging plants in the small tent and 6 to 12 in the 4x4. But it all depends on how they grow, how they are trained and how long they are veggd. It is more about canopy management really. My plants are in 5 gal RDWC/NFT.

Raising cheese quake and they don't get real big in veg but a week or two after flip they grow explosively and get real.big and busy so canopy management after I flip so it is challenging. However, love to see em grow like that....trunks often get to 1.5" diameter!

Dan789

Dan789

Starting my first indoor grow. I have almost everything I will need(still need to learn all about nutes to use), but I could really use some wisdom when it comes to growing.
I need help hanging my lights, I don't know how far apart to hang them? Should i overlap the foot print? From one light to the next?

My lights...
2x4 Optic Hang Kit (162w) Ă— 1
3500 kelvin
(3cobs)

HLG300Ă—2 LED

Uvb bar California lightworks solar system 24watt
(I would like to hang this in the middle) I will only use it for last 2 weeks of flower.
Welcome to the farm @Trailprkgal

T

Trailprkgal

I have 4 to 6 young vegging plants in the small tent and 6 to 12 in the 4x4. But it all depends on how they grow, how they are trained and how long they are veggd. It is more about canopy management really. My plants are in 5 gal RDWC/NFT.

Raising cheese quake and they don't get real big in veg but a week or two after flip they grow explosively and get real.big and busy so canopy management after I flip so it is challenging. However, love to see em grow like that....trunks often get to 1.5" diameter!

So how long do u veg and how do u know when to flip them? Do they get a certain size or so many leaves? Or timing?

Dan789

Dan789

Myself it’s more veg, bigger plants/better root growth, which provides for a better harvest, space being the biggest issue along with height of the grow space and allowing for stretch in bloom.

DGP

DGP

So how long do u veg and how do u know when to flip them? Do they get a certain size or so many leaves? Or timing?
With some strains it is just experience and you have to run them a time or two and learn. Some hybrids do real well flipping them when they are quite small and others want more veg time. The other thing I have noticed is it is the root structure that really matters. I have had smallish plants with big root systems take off and pass the bigger plants and win the race for yields. Since I grow in hydro it is easy to see this relationship between roots and yield. In soil it is harder to judge root condition. After a couple years of hydro I have started using root mass size as one indicator for the right time to flip.

T

Trailprkgal

With some strains it is just experience and you have to run them a time or two and learn. Some hybrids do real well flipping them when they are quite small and others want more veg time. The other thing I have noticed is it is the root structure that really matters. I have had smallish plants with big root systems take off and pass the bigger plants and win the race for yields. Since I grow in hydro it is easy to see this relationship between roots and yield. In soil it is harder to judge root condition. After a couple years of hydro I have started using root mass size as one indicator for the right time to flip.
Thanks! I will work on my roots lol

DGP

DGP

Whats funny is I was typing my reply when the previous post had already put up a response talking about roots. When I was typing I had not seen his post with the similar message! So, yeah, watch your roots...... :)

T

Trailprkgal

Whats funny is I was typing my reply when the previous post had already put up a response talking about roots. When I was typing I had not seen his post with the similar message! So, yeah, watch your roots...... :)
What nutes should I use?
I have a grow and bloom and a booster for both...

DGP

DGP

What nutes should I use?
I have a grow and bloom and a booster for both...
I have been using General Hydro and although I like it I am done with GH because they have been purchased by some of the more evil chemical companies. I will vote with my dollars and won't patronize companies like Scott's, Monsanto and Bayer. So, I am out there looking around myself for new hydro nutes. I did read an article about Jack's and have been studying what they offer. Been thinking of posting this question to the hydro forum myself.

D

Latest posts

Top Bottom