Hello! I Am New, To The Site And Growing. I Have A Few Questions !

• Thread starter Creep420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Creep420

Creep420

hello all, I hope this is an appropriate place to post these questions.
Currently I am using a 5’ tall by 3’W tent
Leds (300w)
About 1’ from the light
In 1/3 gallon pots with Pro mix and Fox farms ocean soil and a bunch of perlite mixed in for drainage.
I water every 4 days with Poland Springs bottled water which seems to read about 6.5 PH.
There is an out take fan, and a fan to blow the leaves around gently.
It’s about room temp at 78 degrees Celcius.

When I started these about a month and a half ago, I stupidly used miracle grow starter soil mix and Natures Care organic potting mix By Miracle grow.
I know now that these soils come with preloaded time released nutrients that are generally too powerful for small plants.
So i repotted them, with the pro mix and fox grow brand soil. Within days I saw improvements, but now the following symptoms are persisting.
-Some yellowish small spots on some leaves, toward the bottom.
-Some leaves have darkened and turned shiny. Towards the middle and bottom.
-Some leaves have yellow tips, curved downward. Mostly towards the bottom.
-New growth appears very light green, seems somewhat nornal but I am not sure.

I am currently not feeding them any nitrients as I was under the impression the worm castings and other additives to the fox grow soil were enough at a young stage.
I was wondering if you guys had answers as to what could be wrong? It has been about 3 weeks since the repotting into the Fox Farms/Pro Mix/perlite mixture.

Could the Miracle grow that is still present in the root ball still be taking effect?
They are about a month and a half old since germination. So I am hoping that they will use the nutrients up in the soil that is left and it ends up being a little nute burn.

Don’t be too harsh, I am very new to this and am willing to learn and listen. Thanks all!

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
My first thought is Welcome to the Farm!!!!!!1

To your question, I would give them some time to recover from the preloaded miracle grow soil you had them in. They probably got over fertilized and thats not typically good for new young plants. (or any plant for that matter)

The fox farm soil is known to be a tad hot as well but don't freak. Just water on your normal schedule as needed and typically you can use no nutrients for at least the 1st 2-3 weeks with FF soil. In fresh FF soil there is more than enough npk for at least a couple of weeks.

I trust that over the next week or so you will see them turn around. Just do your due diligence and keep an eye on them and get back to us with your progress.

Last edited:
Creep420

Creep420

Thank you for the warm welcome!

That was what I was hoping and guessing. I have been banging my head on this for weeks lol...
They overall look great, but have gotten this issue twice now. The symptoms set in after they are watered, so there being too much nutrients in the soil sounds plausible. I will continue the watering cycle as it seems to do well. Soil is draining, they aren’t too dry or damp. I will keep you all posted on the progress and thank you for the quick response and dulling some anxiety.
If you were to guess, when would a good time to start adding nutrients be? Likely after the plant starts to look healthy I assume

Dan789

Dan789

Welcome, the mistakes we make in any grow become indelibly etched and unforgettable. We all have done similar things and yet remarkably return after the disappointments and eventually end up with something to harvest. Not too many shortcuts to learning to grow a plant which has been referred to as “weed”, it’s nothing but diametrically oposite from that characterization, that’s why people make plenty of money selling MJ in dispensaries. Good luck, you’ve got some very knowledgeable folks in this community to refer questions to...

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Thank you for the warm welcome!

That was what I was hoping and guessing. I have been banging my head on this for weeks lol...
They overall look great, but have gotten this issue twice now. The symptoms set in after they are watered, so there being too much nutrients in the soil sounds plausible. I will continue the watering cycle as it seems to do well. Soil is draining, they aren’t too dry or damp. I will keep you all posted on the progress and thank you for the quick response and dulling some anxiety.
If you were to guess, when would a good time to start adding nutrients be? Likely after the plant starts to look healthy I assume
if your now in fresh FF soil you can go a few weeks with no added nutes. When you start feeding again go easy with about 1/2 strength and keep an eye on both lower older growth and new growth. The plant will tell you when its hungry.

Creep420

Creep420

Welcome, the mistakes we make in any grow become indelibly etched and unforgettable. We all have done similar things and yet remarkably return after the disappointments and eventually end up with something to harvest. Not too many shortcuts to learning to grow a plant which has been referred to as “weed”, it’s nothing but diametrically oposite from that characterization, that’s why people make plenty of money selling MJ in dispensaries. Good luck, you’ve got some very knowledgeable folks in this community to refer questions to...

Creep420

Creep420

You aren’t wrong about them not being weeds. They certainly take a close eye and are pretty fragile. I am hoping to learn what it is needed to get to a decent harvest.
They are starting to get some leaves that are curling inwards, that isn’t good, really hoping I see a positive change soon. Worst case scenario if in the end they don’t make it I could always try again in a completely blank soil with no attitives.
I have to admit, it is such a heartbreaking feeling. I’ll be keeping my eye on them and hoping they use up the nutrients soon so they can start recovering.

Nugg

Nugg

I disagree..it's a weed and can't hardly kill it...over thinking kills plants..if you are having issues just use a pro mix soil and tap water..it will grow..

madgrower

madgrower

You aren’t wrong about them not being weeds. They certainly take a close eye and are pretty fragile. I am hoping to learn what it is needed to get to a decent harvest.
They are starting to get some leaves that are curling inwards, that isn’t good, really hoping I see a positive change soon. Worst case scenario if in the end they don’t make it I could always try again in a completely blank soil with no attitives.
I have to admit, it is such a heartbreaking feeling. I’ll be keeping my eye on them and hoping they use up the nutrients soon so they can start recovering.
78 C= 172.4 F...maybe just a bit too warm?...:>)....
I think he means 68 c

Creep420

Creep420

Hello, Apologies for taking a while to respond. We’ve had storms that have knocked our Wifi out of service.
So it has been two weeks since the original post was made, I am seeing some positive changes. They are growing again at a steady pace.
There are still signs off issues:
Yellow tips on bottom and middle leaves, leaves curling inward/downward. The new growth seems to be healthier. I may have also used a pot too large for them at such a small size. Bigger pot=more hot soil for them to digest. I will add a couple photos, hopefully it will help! Thank you all for the replies

Creep420

Creep420

This is one of the effected, as you can see the bottom set of leaves had died off unfortunately.

190C0203 1F85 41FE 8E80 8FBD298ED83C
Top Bottom