Help Me Pick Quiet Exhaust Fan

• Thread starter CBDfutute4
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CBDfutute4

CBDfutute4

hello all

I am new, have a new garden that is about 4.5ft x 3.5ft x 8/8.5ft

It is a basement closet in a tri level house. So it is in the interior area and I say that's because it's in the dead middle of my house. On my lowest floor, being quiet is key.....viberations could be a issue too. I thought I could outsmart most of guys out there n just use LEDs n CFL bulbs to keep down the heat. But even with a cracked door during the hottest part of the day I reach 86/87/88f.

I went into this with a small budget and small plans but they grown n grown over the past 5 wks. So I had no plans for a carbon filter n inline duct/exhaust fan but now I'm shopping for one.

My main light is a 300 watt $80 Amazon LED, than have 4 23watt cfl bulbs in there & one 50 watt LED bulb from amazon

i have researched quite a bit and realized a 4" exhaust fan isn't ideal, but I do believe it would work for my smaller setups. Provided it produces enough cfm, but a 6" running at half power should be even quieter. So I'm torn, my grow space can only have so many modifications to the room/walls itself, so I really want to stick to a 4".......but it the 4 isn't going to cut it....I'll move on from that. The few exhaust fans I've got my eye on are as follows

Hyper 6", digital mixed flow 315 cfm. $132

Can Fan, 6" mixed flow 334 cfm. May have a speed controller. $105

Vortex S-line 6" S600 347 cfm, has speed controller. $165

Active air 4" inline fan, 165cfm, $73

Any others I should consider? I just need to exhaust the room into dead space i have in my basement. New air will come from under the door being pulled by 2, 4" tiny fans. I know it's not great but it's going to have to do. I plan to supplement co2 in the future

I need it strong enough to use a carbon filter on it eventually n to exhaust the room every 3/4/5 min.

I have a desk fan moving air around now n another pushing air out the top by keeping the door cracked. I will not be able to crack the door soon.

Any advice is appreciated

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
I have a vortex sline 6 and it's the quietest fan I have, bigger is better, especially since you will add another light soon....everyone does...

Dan789

Dan789

I have a six inch Max fan, plenty of power, not quite stealthy but not annoying. I'm exhausting two four x. four tents through a "phat" carbon filter and that works great for me.

CBDfutute4

CBDfutute4

I was also going to consider a

Ventra VT IF-4-B. $77

Apollo horticulture 4" 190. $60

Both have built in speed controllers.

Should I just ditch the 4" idea as a whole?

Yes, I will be adding more light.

CBDfutute4

CBDfutute4

Is 190'cfm enough to push threw a filter n bring my room down to 75/77f..??

Trying to spend less then 100. I seem to spend 50 bux 2-3 days a wk on stuff now.

Oh now I need X, then Y, etc. never ends

Papa

Papa

Supporter
i only use elicent fans, specifically because they are more quiet than others.
also, there are many other modifications that you can do with a room design to make it more quiet. I caulk my bottom framing plate to the floor. i frame with 2"x6"s and insulate all cavities with rockwool. after i frame, i put 3/4" ply on all walls and ceiling. i shoot nails 4" oc, but you could also screw. i leave 1/8" gap between sheets and caulk the gap. I then drywall with 5/8". for the door i use an exterior door that has weatherproof strips all around. I exhaust to the exterior. after i'm done you can stand outside the door and not hear any noise from the dozen fans and pumps inside. i have literally had friends stand right next to a door and say, "so, where's this new room that you've been talking about?" and be stunned when i've swung the door open and they get hit with the low roar of a fully operating room.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
If you build a wooden box to encase your fan and use insulated ducting they don't get too loud even for the loudest ones.

CBDfutute4

CBDfutute4

Man if I could afford one I'd jump on it.

I am going to have a very basic setup. I don't it to really cool the lights, just bring down temps 8/10/12 deg

Again it's a basement closet so not lots of airflow. I am going to have the fan inside my room, filter mounted off to the left and the right side will be mounted to the side wall, dumping the hot air in the extra wall space I have. This extra space is good size, but has some of the most awkward diagonal 2x4 running one way n then another.

I would hollow it out and use it as my space but the ceiling is 3ft - 6ft.

So the full setup will be filter above lights by 15/40 inches, then fan mounted to wall, exhaust side of fan dumping air into the far right wall of my room
I've totally ditched the idea of a 4".

My 3 choices are now-

Can fan 6" 334 cfm w/speed cont. $115. German made. Not some pos out of China

Apollo horticulture 6" duct fan. 390 cfm, $70
38DB

Vivoson 6" duct fan, 390 cfm, $70
37db

I think a 6" at half power will be pretty quiet. But i am not going to be running any ductwork.

Last edited:
jipp

jipp

you will be quite happy with the cancan fan im using a 400cfm (400cfm phresh filter )in a 2x4 tent and i like how it sucks the door close. if heat is your issue man air flow is the key.. hell even if its not a issue air flow!

chris.

CBDfutute4

CBDfutute4

Yea I think you have their "pro" model

I think this will be a good purchase

It will allow for room growth n do all I need quietly or semi quietly.

I think having a bigger fan @ 40-70% is key. Maxing out any of them will be loud compared to 50%.

Is this accurate?? Again I know what I'm doing but at the same time clueless

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

hello all

It is a basement closet in a tri level house. So it is in the interior area and I say that's because it's in the dead middle of my house. On my lowest floor, being quiet is key.....viberations could be a issue too. I thought I could outsmart most of guys out there n just use LEDs n CFL bulbs to keep down the heat. But even with a cracked door during the hottest part of the day I reach 86/87/88f.

I went into this with a small budget and small plans but they grown n grown over the past 5 wks. So I had no plans for a carbon filter n inline duct/exhaust fan but now I'm shopping for one.

My main light is a 300 watt $80 Amazon LED, than have 4 23watt cfl bulbs in there & one 50 watt LED bulb from amazon

i have researched quite a bit and realized a 4" exhaust fan isn't ideal, but I do believe it would work for my smaller setups. Provided it produces enough cfm, but a 6" running at half power should be even quieter. So I'm torn, my grow space can only have so many modifications to the room/walls itself, so I really want to stick to a 4".......but it the 4 isn't going to cut it....I'll move on from that. The few exhaust fans I've got my eye on are as follows

Any others I should consider? I just need to exhaust the room into dead space i have in my basement. New air will come from under the door being pulled by 2, 4" tiny fans. I know it's not great but it's going to have to do. I plan to supplement co2 in the future

I need it strong enough to use a carbon filter on it eventually n to exhaust the room every 3/4/5 min.

I have a desk fan moving air around now n another pushing air out the top by keeping the door cracked. I will not be able to crack the door soon.

Honestly I think the best thing would be if you have a window in your basement and can put a AC unit in it. It's going to make a little noise but at least you can accomplish what you're after.

CBDfutute4

CBDfutute4

Honestly I think the best thing would be if you have a window in your basement and can put a AC unit in it. It's going to make a little noise but at least you can accomplish what you're after.
Would like to buy one but no spot for it and I got a wife man.

She bitches enough about things. Each project I do is 72hrs of shit.

When I begin sawing for the exhaust fan I try to start when she goes out with her friends or on long shopping runs

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

Apollo horticulture 6" duct fan. 390 cfm, $70
38DB

I bought the 4" 190cfm version a few months ago, it started making rattly noises out of the motor. It's really a POS, you get what you pay for... I'm replacing it with a Vortex 6" VTX600 497cfm for more output and hopefully less noisy.

GanjaNGains

GanjaNGains

hello all

That's 6 inch fan should b fine but try and find one with a leather jacket on it! That will drastically reduce sound and vibration if u can't find one u can always modify it by simply duct taping a towel or an old leather jacket to the outside of the fan. Good luck my friend good vibes your way

Eyebedam

Eyebedam

I'm running a 6 in hyper with a Phresh filter. I'm really happy with the results so far.

IMG 7465
CBDfutute4

CBDfutute4

I got the German made 6" canfan. $115 on az. Super quiet on speed 3, only moves 330cfm of air.

But the low noise, 140cfm 6" terrabloom is practically just as much db.

Don't cheap out there.

Top Bottom