Help Needed Strange Bugs

• Thread starter Deepsand
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Btw, what bug is that. ? Looks like aphids? At distance but that close up that looks like knats? What would they be doing under the leaves?
And it isn’t spider mites, least nothing like what I seen????
Curios, anyone ion even id them yet ?
Looks like fungus knats to me or maybe broad knats..

K

Kbye

First pic- (L) Mealybug, (R) like @Madbud said , Lace bug. 2 weeks out if not longer. Cola in the pic looks good, don't know if I'd spray poison on my buds if it's isolated to that single leaf. Also, if your not happy with someone's advice perhaps you could be a bit more polite in your response(s). Someone actually took a few moments to assist you. Happy Harvest

Greatlakes

Greatlakes

Went from what bug is this is to look at my penis...
commercial grower here, Check The calyx period. Many said the same and they are correct!
Cheers
Haha... If your referring to me.... I have found noobs do not take my advice once they find out I'm a girl. Throwing up a pic of my grow is the only thing that gives my words credit. ;)
Hope your penis isn't offended lol

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Haha... If your referring to me.... I have found noobs do not take my advice once they find out I'm a girl. Throwing up a pic of my grow is the only thing that gives my words credit. ;)
Hope your penis isn't offended lol

Sh*t, I didn' know you were a girl. I never check sh*t like that. I dooooo know you got some fine monsters in your gardern, and that's all the street cred I need, MorF. From what I've read here I don't think dude wasn't listnen to you cause you's a girl tho, I think dude just wasn't listnen.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised at how many girls are on here, and that most have killer grows since women generally pay better attention to detail. I live in a city of growers and very few are girls (odd, now that I think about it).

RuralFarmer

RuralFarmer

Sh*t, I didn' know you were a girl. I never check sh*t like that. I dooooo know you got some fine monsters in your gardern, and that's all the street cred I need, MorF. From what I've read here I don't think dude wasn't listnen to you cause you's a girl tho, I think dude just wasn't listnen.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised at how many girls are on here, and that most have killer grows since women generally pay better attention to detail. I live in a city of growers and very few are girls (odd, now that I think about it).
SmithsJunk, both you and Great Lakes have beautiful monsters going. I am forced to remain indoors. Your grows are beautiful and I am jealous LOL. :cool:

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk, both you and Great Lakes have beautiful monsters going. I am forced to remain indoors. Your grows are beautiful and I am jealous LOL. :cool:

TY, I appreciate the compliment but I'd say Lakes still stands a head and shoulders above me. If mine were half the sise of her's but just as healthy, I'd be ecstatic. I wouldn't dismiss your grows either. You got the Sativa locked. I want to grow some Durban but thinkin about settlin for Jack Herer cause I want to grow in a tent over winter and Durban grows tall and slow. Just started to germ 2 Royal Nepal and 2 Banana Ice Cream. Don't think I can fit a Durban in there before I have to use the tent to start next year's outdoor. I guess I could use my single COB to grow a couple in a small tent.

I don't know, I'll usually shoot out ten ideas and tackle whichever one gets the closest. You prob don't hear this much but I'm hoping one of my Nepal's goes male. If the other RNK goes fem I'll have a double (Royal Nepal x Chocolate Diesel) and some (Banana Sativa x Decepticon) x ([Royal Dane x Napalese Kush] x Chocolate Diesel). Thats a boatload of beans with some waaay insane phenos (I mean seriously, like, WTF? ROFL) and some fat near-purebred RNK trees again since the Diesel's genetics seem quite mild.

Greatlakes

Greatlakes

Yeah I told him I'm a girl lol. Growing seems to be a man's game out there for the most part which I find odd knowing all the women gardeners I do (veggie gardens and roses etc)
There are a few exceptional women growers out there but it's far and few between.

To the OP. I don't think those black spots are mites, and I personally wouldn't hit them with anything. You are so close to being done.
I bet it's just a predatory bug...One to help not hurt.

Greatlakes

Greatlakes

TY, I appreciate the compliment but I'd say Lakes still stands a head and shoulders above me. If mine were half the sise of her's but just as healthy, I'd be ecstatic. I wouldn't dismiss your grows either. You got the Sativa locked. I want to grow some Durban but thinkin about settlin for Jack Herer cause I want to grow in a tent over winter and Durban grows tall and slow. Just started to germ 2 Royal Nepal and 2 Banana Ice Cream. Don't think I can fit a Durban in there before I have to use the tent to start next year's outdoor. I guess I could use my single COB to grow a couple in a small tent.

I don't know, I'll usually shoot out ten ideas and tackle whichever one gets the closest. You prob don't hear this much but I'm hoping one of my Nepal's goes male. If the other RNK goes fem I'll have a double (Royal Nepal x Chocolate Diesel) and some (Banana Sativa x Decepticon) x ([Royal Dane x Napalese Kush] x Chocolate Diesel). Thats a boatload of beans with some waaay insane phenos (I mean seriously, like, WTF? ROFL) and some fat near-purebred RNK trees again since the Diesel's genetics seem quite mild.
Where are all of your grows listed? Have I missed them?

JustStartedD

JustStartedD

No offense taken man but I am going to challenge you on that. Every single thing I have read states the exact opposite of what you said in both of your posts. Professional growers actually snip a leaf and put it under a high dollar microscope also the pistils are a horrible way to tell when your bud is ready.. pistils afterall arent what get you high. I dont want to be bragging but I actually just finished my first ever (that one was indoors) grow and used the trichs to judge when they were ready and I harvested 2 lbs of dank bud. I am by no means an expert but I see that you are still working on your first grow. If I was you I would read up a bit more on the process. Experts feel free to correct me.
A lot of people here will tell u the same thing. And people with 5,10,15 years of experience will also say about the same all white pistils means it's not ready yet , when the pistil start turning orange on their own you're about 14-21 days from having "fully ripe flowers" and the trichomes will still be cloudy and a little amberish

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Last edited:
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

A lot of people here will tell u the same thing. And people with 5,10,15 years of experience will also say about the same all white pistils means it's not ready yet , when the pistil start turning orange on their own you're about 14-21 days from having "fully ripe flowers" and the trichomes will still be cloudy and a little amberish

I disagree, from experience, which I don't have much but still enough. Check your trichs and how plump your bracts are. Your preflower bracts up near the end. That should give you an idea of what to expect from the full-on buds, ie...
20180903 134244

Every strain and cut is different, they all mature differently, then add sun&shade sides, even flowers on the same colas mature at different speeds. I harvested fully mature colas last year that had some white hairs. They were so thick that I had to decide whether the new flowers were worth sacrificing the finished ones. Since the bulk of the flowers were fully mature, I clipped them with a few immature flowers.

People trying to set a timeframe like you have caused me to harvest a different one of my strains too early last year. Don't do that.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

For an example so you dont think I'm talking out my a$$. This cola is fully mature and had white hairs still...
20171011 062119

This was the sun side. The other side had no hairs.

JustStartedD

JustStartedD

I disagree, from experience, which I don't have much but still enough. Check your trichs and how plump your bracts are. Your preflower bracts up near the end. That should give you an idea of what to expect from the full-on buds, ie...
View attachment 828214
Every strain and cut is different, they all mature differently, then add sun&shade sides, even flowers on the same colas mature at different speeds. I harvested fully mature colas last year that had some white hairs. They were so thick that I had to decide whether the new flowers were worth sacrificing the finished ones. Since the bulk of the flowers were fully mature, I clipped them with a few immature flowers.

People trying to set a timeframe like you have caused me to harvest a different one of my strains too early last year. Don't do that.
I don't set any time frames dude. The plant will grow on its own and it'll get ready on its own. And you have your methods and I have mine. And not once did I say anything to you last year so that is irrelevant go complain to who told you the bad info. I know some strains don't get as much amber pistil as others. But on most strains when pistols start to turn orange on their own that's 2-3 weeks away from harvest. By the end of the 3rd week a lot fan leaves will be yellowing as the plant will be reaching the end of its life cycle. That's when I think it's best to harvest. You have a different opinion. I've managed to do very good in my small space with just 2-3 plants in the past using this exact same method.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I don't set any time frames dude. The plant will grow on its own and it'll get ready on its own. And you have your methods and I have mine. And not once did I say anything to you last year so that is irrelevant go complain to who told you the bad info. I know some strains don't get as much amber pistil as others. But on most strains when pistols start to turn orange on their own that's 2-3 weeks away from harvest. By the end of the 3rd week a lot fan leaves will be yellowing as the plant will be reaching the end of its life cycle. That's when I think it's best to harvest. You have a different opinion. I've managed to do very good in my small space with just 2-3 plants in the past using this exact same method.

You did give a time frame and tried to qualify it by saying people with 5,10,15 experience as if you represent them. You said "when the pistil start turning orange on their own you're about 14-21 days from having "fully ripe flowers". Why don't you work from your own cred, and say "it's been your experience" or in "your experience" instead of parroting someone's incorrect blog and acting like you know what you're talking about.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Why don’t do you cut a tester, say a gram worth, let it dry for a few days and try it out before you cut the whole plant down.

Now that's good advice. I was so new I didn't know better. I waited the 21 days and since it was a strong Sativa hybrid the trichs weren't much help. I cut nearly nearly 4lbs dry/cured on that same tidbit of advice he gave. I lost nearly 90% of it's weight overnight and had 4lbs of sugar leaf.

MissBotany

MissBotany

Now that's good advice. I was so new I didn't know better. I waited the 21 days and since it was a strong Sativa hybrid the trichs weren't much help. I cut nearly nearly 4lbs dry/cured on that same tidbit of advice he gave. I lost nearly 90% of it's weight overnight and had 4lbs of sugar leaf.

Dang! Since I’m still fairly new to growing and grow a lot of different strains, cutting a tester is a must. So glad I did on my most recent harvest because I would have cut the plant down way too soon and would have wasted the whole grow because the THC levels were still very low. I waited another 2 weeks, cut another tester and it was finally ready.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Dang! Since I’m still fairly new to growing and grow a lot of different strains, cutting a tester is a must. So glad I did on my most recent harvest because I would have cut the plant down way too soon and would have wasted the whole grow because the THC levels were still very low. I waited another 2 weeks, cut another tester and it was finally ready.

Orange Creamsicle is a bit foofy so it had potent shake but the bracts on this strain are small and developed late. If I would have known to check the fully developed preflower bracts like in my closeup pic in the post above I would have known to wait for the swell.

Like I said, you gave some great, useful advice. I was trying not to handle the flowers, more bad advice lol, so I didn't cut any.

Greatlakes

Greatlakes

Some strains will have white pistils till the end, this is true (tho very few strains are like that)....However a ripe bud will still have the majority of the pistils receding back into the bud... not sticking straight out.
No one should go on just one thing or another to verify ripeness but (like I said earlier) use all the tools in the box.
The pic of that bud looks ripe... it looks swollen and ready.
There are so many things lost by cutting too early, not just over all weight and potency but you will loose out on terps too.

Top Bottom