Help On Coco Dtw Setup

• Thread starter Bigmellons
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Bigmellons

Hey all, I am in the process of switching over from running dwc to coco coir. My room is about 30 min. Down the road so it has been wearing at me having to drain the system and flush so often as well as filling the res.

So I am switching over to coco coir, going to run 8 plants, 3 gallon pots, in a flower room with a scrog set up and 2 600w hid's. I am debating on what to do about feeding. The two options I'm looking at are either putting a pump on a timer and building a line out of pvc out of my reservoir or using the dosing pumps you see people use for their aquariums. I'm leaning more towards the dosing pumps bc of the control I'll have in feeding the plants individually, my only worries really are clogging since they run off 1/8" lines.

If anyone has any experience with these dosing pumps or have an opinion on the feeding situation it would be greatly appreciated!

Also if anyone has any suggestions on cheap flood tables that would be great as well looking for a 3 or 4' by 6'. Probably will end up getting a couple cheap plastic storage bins and making them work rather than spending a 100 bucks on one of the botanicare ones. Thanks!

iloveyoutoo

iloveyoutoo

Hey all, I am in the process of switching over from running dwc to coco coir. My room is about 30 min. Down the road so it has been wearing at me having to drain the system and flush so often as well as filling the res.

So I am switching over to coco coir, going to run 8 plants, 3 gallon pots, in a flower room with a scrog set up and 2 600w hid's. I am debating on what to do about feeding. The two options I'm looking at are either putting a pump on a timer and building a line out of pvc out of my reservoir or using the dosing pumps you see people use for their aquariums. I'm leaning more towards the dosing pumps bc of the control I'll have in feeding the plants individually, my only worries really are clogging since they run off 1/8" lines.

If anyone has any experience with these dosing pumps or have an opinion on the feeding situation it would be greatly appreciated!

Also if anyone has any suggestions on cheap flood tables that would be great as well looking for a 3 or 4' by 6'. Probably will end up getting a couple cheap plastic storage bins and making them work rather than spending a 100 bucks on one of the botanicare ones. Thanks!
make a base out of wood and then buy corrugated plastic from home depot. put it on a slight grade for a gravity drain. pump the water from a reservoir through spaghetti lines and dripper stakes. the water will gravity drain to waste.

iloveyoutoo

iloveyoutoo

you can catch the water in an oil pan from auto zone. the strong big ones. then u can just pump that out to the main sewage. or wherever u want.
to catch the water from the corrugated plastic use what house use to capture water on the sides of a house

Upload 2018 3 19 12 3 20
Enforcer

Enforcer

I bought a couple things online from
Amazon for convenience (aquarium heater, small circulation pump, digital timer). Got some stuff at my local hydro store (main 633 GPH pump, manifold w/ ball valves, tubing, fittings, air stones). The 27 gallon tote (res) from home depot for like $9 bucks. I think all together I spent about $120 to build an automated, programable, top feed, drain to waste (DTW) watering system that’s perfect for growing in coco.

TerpyTyrone

TerpyTyrone

I bought a couple things online from
Amazon for convenience (aquarium heater, small circulation pump, digital timer). Got some stuff at my local hydro store (main 633 GPH pump, manifold w/ ball valves, tubing, fittings, air stones). The 27 gallon tote (res) from home depot for like $9 bucks. I think all together I spent about $120 to build an automated, programable, top feed, drain to waste (DTW) watering system that’s perfect for growing in coco.
I'm building mine now. Do u have any pics to help me?

scubascrog

scubascrog

check mine out its as cheap as you can go :)
I use a 1/5 hp sump pump attached to a 3/4 pvc with a 6 site garden manifold that is up to 20GPh per outlet. I'm even gonna add another one when I jump up to 3 gallons so my pump doesnt have to run that long, make sure you loop it back to your reservoir on an incline so all the water drains back in when the pump is off!

Also, a bigger and smaller saucer and a 1 inch bulkhead fitting makes a great drain tray alternative. just put your pots on cinder blocks to give them height to drain
:)
IMG 2567

TerpyTyrone

TerpyTyrone

check mine out its as cheap as you can go :)
I use a 1/5 hp sump pump attached to a 3/4 pvc with a 6 site garden manifold that is up to 20GPh per outlet. I'm even gonna add another one when I jump up to 3 gallons so my pump doesnt have to run that long, make sure you loop it back to your reservoir on an incline so all the water drains back in when the pump is off!

Also, a bigger and smaller saucer and a 1 inch bulkhead fitting makes a great drain tray alternative. just put your pots on cinder blocks to give them height to drain
:)
View attachment 805653
Commitment!! Some of the less mechanical minds don't see the intricacies that you have designed into your sysytem! Excellent platform! I am only in coco for personal and I just got the 6 port manifold. I was trying to tap into my 1/2" feed line from the rez like a HVAC duct but the amount of water to each drop wasn't even and easily kinked. I like the hard pipe idea for the feed and forget the 1/2" b.s. vinyl.
Buds 4 Life
-Ty

Enforcer

Enforcer

I'm building mine now. Do u have any pics to help me?

Sure. This is the res. The blue elbow has a small hole drilled into it to act as an anti-siphon. You can see the air stone, heater, and circulation pump. I’m filling it in the pic, that’s what that other black hose with water coming out is doing.

D83BAA27 7C07 4D5B 8B97 959C62270A84

I set the system up for drain to waste. Water drains to a sump under the tent. A small $8 pump moves the waste water to a catch res (blue tote) that gets emptied once a week on my outdoor planters.
557A7A91 6114 42CE 8C69 F0F93B694FC0

Here you can see the manifold. The black Y filter is just under the clip fan.
E1AF1CE2 EA82 4B61 A88B E6FB01AFF52D

This is the drip ring I made for each plant. The T’s move to point in or out depending on the stage of growth. You can also see the ball valves on the manifold going to each ring.
7338AE2A D350 46C8 8D5A 6C4E58382B67

TerpyTyrone

TerpyTyrone

I really like the idea of the small hole as an anti-siphon! Thats legit! I am also interested in doing a ring as well the part are cheap enough. I appreciate the response.
-Ty

TerpyTyrone

TerpyTyrone

make a base out of wood and then buy corrugated plastic from home depot. put it on a slight grade for a gravity drain. pump the water from a reservoir through spaghetti lines and dripper stakes. the water will gravity drain to waste.
Dont waste your time or money on stakes,
Dont use clear air tube from Wal-Mart,
Buy a manifold and hook it up directly to a rez below your plants or risk siphoning ur plants to death,
Depending on ur nutes, silica is a big one they clog ur lines.
Its your bud,
-Ty

Latest posts

Top Bottom