Help On Optimal Temps For Sealed Room Co2

• Thread starter Mr.sativa
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mr.sativa

Mr.sativa

So ,I've been reading around and have found conflicting answers regarding optimal temperatures for co2 use in a sealed room so I know I need to compensate temp and r.h.when using co2,currently using 20lb tank w titan regulator 15mins. On every hour for 12 hours since start of flower, have sealed air cooled hoods 2k, and ac if needed room is 12x12,so ooooooooooooooo help.... suggestions ......feed back please!!

Mr.sativa

Mr.sativa

temp 76-80 humidity 60-70 co2 1000..... this is what I like.
So above 80 is a no go? I've even read that 90 is optimal temp,because the stomatas would fully open @ over 80° I'm so damn confused I don't want to have to run my a/c if not needed and my Temps go up to like 86-88° during day and it's getting worse now that summers setting in and it's like 92° outside today

Mr.sativa

Mr.sativa

82-86' @ 1200 ppm during hot summer days
keep the ppm's up and the rh and you'll be fine
good luck
Thanks bud,so higher Temps are fine,just not above 85° huh? So r.h. needs to be @ least 60 then I assume,

rubthe nub

rubthe nub

I run at 86'+ when its real hot outside
60 or higher if you can get it there.
you'll need to drop it back down toward end of flowering
watch out for bud rot with high temps and high rh

jimmy the hat

jimmy the hat

everyone has different opinions. In my room these temps/humidity work best. people do well in high temps, but in my experience lower temps and higher humidity for the win....check out a vapor pressure deficit(VPD) chart
So above 80 is a no go? I've even read that 90 is optimal temp,because the stomatas would fully open @ over 80° I'm so damn confused I don't want to have to run my a/c if not needed and my Temps go up to like 86-88° during day and it's getting worse now that summers setting in and it's like 92° outside today

rubthe nub

rubthe nub

only 2k?
ever try running your lights at night when its cooler outside?
might be able to get it cool enough with just air cooled hoods plus blowing in fresh air
going to need a good filter for your air intake though

rubthe nub

rubthe nub

those are really good numbers @jimmy the hat
I try and run closer to those when its cooler outside
but during summer time they'll rise a little

Mr.sativa

Mr.sativa

only 2k?
ever try running your lights at night when its cooler outside?
might be able to get it cool enough with just air cooled hoods plus blowing in fresh air
going to need a good filter for your air intake though
Can't with my work schedule,definitely will take that in consideration after this run almost done bout a month left. So will my ac suck out the co2 or just recirculation it,I have a 14000 btu a/c on wheels the window vented type,it's set on 80° now

Mr.sativa

Mr.sativa

20150616 101558

Mr.sativa

Mr.sativa

It definitely has made a huge difference in resin development thus far!! That's the white s1,from og rascal seeds

KiLoEleMeNt

KiLoEleMeNt

Ok let's see if I can't help clear the air some (pun intended) First off an accurate thermo is a must have in any indoor garden inexpensive ones are only good for collecting the most basic of information while the ideal thermo would be a day/nite or maximum/minimum type that measures the top high of the day and the lowest at nite the real expensive ones even turn on your ac/exuast and minim Temps in your room are very important (I'll explain why here) under normal conditions, the idea temperature range for growth is 72-76 degrees at not the temperature can not fluctuate more than 10-15 degrees (more like 10-12 imo) day time temperatures above 85+ degrees or below 65_ will stop growth and stunt/stress your plants out. However rooms using CO2 are different and if used correctly you can get as high as 95 degrees (NOT RECOMMENDED) Under the proper conditions witch are very demanding to maintain, higher temperatures step up metabolic activitie and speeds up growth. The warmer it is the more water the air is able to hold. This moist air often restrains plant functions and decelerates rather than speeding up growth. Other complications such as mold and pests often result from excess humidity and moisture condensation when the Temperature drops at nite. Heat buildup during warmer weather can catch you off guard and cause serious problems making proper airconditioner/heater, insulation, ventilation fans and thermostats necessary for optimal growth (dehumidifiers work just as well if it is the proper size for the room) common thermostats include single stage and two stage more more complicated controllers also regulate CO2 equipment as well as all other vents and air control devices but are not necessarily needed. temperatures can easily climb to excess of 100 degrees when poorly insulated and vented. The cold of winter is the other extreme to deal with and it's impossible to control acts of God (black outs and such) Now to brass tax

When CO2 is enriched to 0.12-0.15% (1200-1500 ppm) a temperature of 85-87 degrees F promotes a more rapid exchange of gases. Photosynthesis and Chlorophyll synthesis are able to take place at a more rapid rate causing plants to grow faster. Remember, this extra 10-15 degrees water, nutrients and space consideration, so be prepared! Carbon-dioxide enriched plants still need ventilation to remove stale, humid air out and promote plant health. Propane and natural gas heaters commonly known as CO2 generators increase temperature and burn oxygen from the air creating CO2 and and water vapor as a bi product, this dual advantage makes them practical but no more economical than CO2 tanks,I am not a big fan of heaters and don't recommend using them.
HUMIDITY
This is a big part of the equation in CO2 treated rooms. Humidity is RELATIVE! Relative humidity is the ratio between the amount of moisture in the air and the greatest amount of moisture it can hold at the same temperature. Relative Humidity is measured with a wet-dry hygrometer. When the temperature drops the humidity rises and moisture condensates on surfaces.for example an 800 cubic foot room can hold about 14 oz of water if the temperature is 70 degrees and relative humidity is at 100% . When temperature is raised to 100 degrees the same room will hold 56oz of moisture at 100% relative humidity.
Here is a basic chart to make your equations off of

A 10x10x8 room 800 cubic feet can hold 4oz at 32F, 7oz at 50F, 14oz at 70F, 18oz at 80F 28oz at 90f and 56oz at 100

Most plants grow best when their relative humidity is from 40 to 60 percent as with temperature consistent humidity promotes healthy and even plant growth. As it affects the transpiration rate of the stomata when it's high stomata close and when it's dryer they open to increasing transpiration, fluid flow and growth

So I hope this helps let me know if anything needs more explanation being as you only asked for the rite temp (which is in there) i doubt you will want to hear more droning on :) good luck

Mr.sativa

Mr.sativa

Ok let's see if I can't help clear the air some (pun intended) First off an accurate thermo is a must have in any indoor garden inexpensive ones are only good for collecting the most basic of information while the ideal thermo would be a day/nite or maximum/minimum type that measures the top high of the day and the lowest at nite the real expensive ones even turn on your ac/exuast and minim Temps in your room are very important (I'll explain why here) under normal conditions, the idea temperature range for growth is 72-76 degrees at not the temperature can not fluctuate more than 10-15 degrees (more like 10-12 imo) day time temperatures above 85+ degrees or below 65_ will stop growth and stunt/stress your plants out. However rooms using CO2 are different and if used correctly you can get as high as 95 degrees (NOT RECOMMENDED) Under the proper conditions witch are very demanding to maintain, higher temperatures step up metabolic activitie and speeds up growth. The warmer it is the more water the air is able to hold. This moist air often restrains plant functions and decelerates rather than speeding up growth. Other complications such as mold and pests often result from excess humidity and moisture condensation when the Temperature drops at nite. Heat buildup during warmer weather can catch you off guard and cause serious problems making proper airconditioner/heater, insulation, ventilation fans and thermostats necessary for optimal growth (dehumidifiers work just as well if it is the proper size for the room) common thermostats include single stage and two stage more more complicated controllers also regulate CO2 equipment as well as all other vents and air control devices but are not necessarily needed. temperatures can easily climb to excess of 100 degrees when poorly insulated and vented. The cold of winter is the other extreme to deal with and it's impossible to control acts of God (black outs and such) Now to brass tax

When CO2 is enriched to 0.12-0.15% (1200-1500 ppm) a temperature of 85-87 degrees F promotes a more rapid exchange of gases. Photosynthesis and Chlorophyll synthesis are able to take place at a more rapid rate causing plants to grow faster. Remember, this extra 10-15 degrees water, nutrients and space consideration, so be prepared! Carbon-dioxide enriched plants still need ventilation to remove stale, humid air out and promote plant health. Propane and natural gas heaters commonly known as CO2 generators increase temperature and burn oxygen from the air creating CO2 and and water vapor as a bi product, this dual advantage makes them practical but no more economical than CO2 tanks,I am not a big fan of heaters and don't recommend using them.
HUMIDITY
This is a big part of the equation in CO2 treated rooms. Humidity is RELATIVE! Relative humidity is the ratio between the amount of moisture in the air and the greatest amount of moisture it can hold at the same temperature. Relative Humidity is measured with a wet-dry hygrometer. When the temperature drops the humidity rises and moisture condensates on surfaces.for example an 800 cubic foot room can hold about 14 oz of water if the temperature is 70 degrees and relative humidity is at 100% . When temperature is raised to 100 degrees the same room will hold 56oz of moisture at 100% relative humidity.
Here is a basic chart to make your equations off of

A 10x10x8 room 800 cubic feet can hold 4oz at 32F, 7oz at 50F, 14oz at 70F, 18oz at 80F 28oz at 90f and 56oz at 100

Most plants grow best when their relative humidity is from 40 to 60 percent as with temperature consistent humidity promotes healthy and even plant growth. As it affects the transpiration rate of the stomata when it's high stomata close and when it's dryer they open to increasing transpiration, fluid flow and growth

So I hope this helps let me know if anything needs more explanation being as you only asked for the rite temp (which is in there) i doubt you will want to hear more droning on :) good luck
No no I'm a sponge!! I appreciate all the very detailed info !!!

K

kuz

75-85', 60-70 rh. 72' is perfect for one grower I know, and he does better than most, rh around 50%. But I always liked higher temps and higher humidity, especially with co2.

KiLoEleMeNt

KiLoEleMeNt

Ok bud let's se how much you can soak then cuz this information needs to be somewhere on here anyway not sure why no one knows this stuff it's botany 101 let's start with a little more detail on measuring humidity properly

Relative humidity control is an essential part of insect and fungal control, as well as plant uptake and growth. Humidity above 80% dicourages spider mites but promotes fungus, root rot, and stem rot, humidity below 50% level reduce your chance of fungus and rot. Measure relative humidity with a hygrometer as stated before this is an extremely important instrument that will save you and your much frustration and failure. By knowing the moisture content in the air you can much easier keep it at a safe 50% level. There are two common types of hygrometer, the spring type, wi8is accurate within 5-10% this one is inexpensive and just fine for hobby gardens where the main concern is to stay at 50% RH. There is also a psychrometer (hygrometer) it is more expensive but is very accurate and measures with a "Wet bulb Dry bulb" calculator, then you have a humidistat this is simular to a thermostat, but regulates humidity instead of temperature. Humidistat are wonderful and make controlling RH much easier but can get on the pricey side for one with day/nite options witch i recomend. Another awesome thing to use (this is a grower secret shhhh) are these little packets called desiccants the things u get in new shoes or beef jerky packets you will have to find out more or where to get them yourself. You can increase the humidity in a room by simply misting the entire room with a spray bottle or putting out buckets of water to evapote in the room. You could also use a humidifier like the ones used in your bedroom for Vicks when your sic, this is not necessary unless there is an extreme problem with the room drying out to much. And as stated before best options is a dehumidifier with a blower fan in it. However Young seedlings and and rooting cuttings thrive from 70-100% RH

Let's talk in more in detail about CO2

Carbon dioxide (CO2) is a colorless, odorless, nonflamable gas that is around us all the time. The air we breath contains 0.03-0.04 percent (300-400ppm) CO2. Rapidly growing plants can use all of the available CO2 in an enclosed garden within hours. Photosynthesis and growth slow to a crawl when CO2 levels drops below 0.02% (200ppm). CO2 enrichment has been used in commercial greenhouses for more than 40 years.

Adding more C02 to your garden room air stimulates growth to the highest rate possible. Indoor growing is simular to conditions in a greenhouse and usually apply the same rules and principles . Most plants can use much more CO2 than can be provided naturally, As i stated before CO2 can be increased by as much as the 0.12-0.15 percentile (1200-1500ppm) The optimum amount widely agreed upon by professional gardeners., plants may grow as much as two or three times as fast when done correctly providing light, water, and nutrients are not limiting.

CO2 Has little or no effect on plants grown under florescent lighting, it simply is not powerful enough you must have HID lighting or you are wasting time and money in your efforts, as for a garden room using CO2 enriched air with appropriate RH, adequate lighting, with scheduled water and nutrients, can have superlative results.
In fact with this basic combination, most evey plant will grow much faster and more efficiently than they grow outdoors.

The old wifes tale, "talk to your plantsthey will grow faster infact is true the trick is knowing their language."

CO2 enriched plants demand a higher level of maintinance than normal plants. They use up nutrients wayer and space twice as fast as normal plants a higher temperature of 85-87 degreese F, will help stimulate more rapid metabolism within the super enriched plants.
Properly maintained the plants will grow so fast and take up so much space, that flowering will have to be forced sooner than normal. like foliage, root growth is also simulated by CO2 enrichment it is taken via the leafs and the overall growth to be transferred to the roots, this being the reason they use so much more water and food, and in contrast CO2 is actually helpful in conserving water used by plants, water rises from a plants roots and is released by the same stoma that absorbes CO2 during transpiration. To stay up rite and turgid, a plant must balance uptake and water with the amount released through transpiration.

CO2 also effects plant morphology and makes the cells of plant parts more densely packed together, flower stems carry more weight without bending, and commonly have more node spacing as well, because of this some growers get frustrated using CO2 as it causes plants to grow so fast, unsuspecting growers are unable to keep up with them, CO2 enriched plants that do not have proper support of the other critical elements for life, will not benefit at all and the CO2 is wasted, this can be caused by only one of the critical factors.

Increasing light intensity in a CO2 enriched room by adding another HID lamp helps speed growth as well, but could possibly make them grow so fast it will be impossible to maintain.

To be most effective the CO2 levels must remain at or around 1500 ppm to accomplish this the room must be completely sealed/enclosed all cracks and gaps over one-eighth inch must be sealed off to prevent CO2 from escaping you will also need a vent with a baffle to remove stale air that will be replaced by CO2 and will not let it escape

KiLoEleMeNt

KiLoEleMeNt

Whoops forgot to mention
MEASURING CO2

Measuring and monitoring co2 levels in the air is a little expensive and often not necessary for small gardens with only a couple lights, once a room gets to ten plus lights monitoring the levels becomes a little more important, if you find it necessary greenair.com has simple cheap test kits containing a syringe and test tubes with instructions how to test

F

FooDoo

Measuring and monitoring co2 levels in the air is a little expensive and often not necessary for small gardens with only a couple lights,

This is a matter of opinion and has no factual or scientific backing. And is incredibly incorrect.

He also stated to have co2 at 1200-1500 which is also scientifically proven to be determinetal to plants growth.

It's scientifically proven that too much co2 is bad so how could not monitoring it, whether you're running one light or 500 not be important. If you're using co2, then hands down you need to know how much of it you're using .

Here's a good read
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=221893

With cited scientific studies and sources

CO2 crop growth enhancement and toxicity in wheat and rice
Bugbee B, Spanarkel B, Johnson S, Monje O, Koerner G.
Adv Space Res. 1994 Nov;14(11):257-67

Super-optimal CO2 reduces wheat yield in growth chamber and greenhouse environments
Grotenhuis T, Reuveni J, Bugbee B.
Adv Space Res. 1997;20(10):1901-4.

Very high CO2 reduces photosynthesis, dark respiration and yield in wheat
Reuveni J, Bugbee B.
Ann Bot. 1997 Oct;80(4):539-46.

Super-optimal CO2 reduces seed yield but not vegetative growth in wheat
Grotenhuis TP, Bugbee B.
Crop Sci. 1997 Jul-Aug;37:1215-22.

KiLoEleMeNt

KiLoEleMeNt

Everything stated in my writing has com directly from
HOWARD M. RESH. Ph.D
And my personal experience using these methods!!! have you even got CO2 your setup? Doubt it
And I find it absolutely hilarious you are comparing cannabis to wheat two diffrent species on the most extreme what a joke not to mention all of your findings are very outdated

As for not needing a monitoring this is absolutely scientific fact with a regulator there are plenty of methods of calculating how much co2 u release by timing by the .02 percentage (200ppm) i would suggest you do some real homework on how all plants work and uptake nutrients before you make outlandish claims on those who have
But hey its your rite to disagree and I won't dispute that I stand by every word I posted

Last edited:
Top Bottom