help...sudden wilt 2 plants out of 40

• Thread starter click80
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
click80

click80

no pics available but dont think they would help anyway cause they look fine

i am growing in straight perlite...they look great, except for the two, in flood table, using advanced nutes at week 4 of standard formula,, ec at 1.8....every thing was going good then one plant just went limp, didnt yellow out, no warning at all....so i yanked it to be safe....roots are fine, not slimy or discolored...

just went in room and another has done the same but just not totally limp yet but seems on the way...i just changed res few days before this happened..

im stumped because they look great and roots look great

im going to flush...since i have never grown in straight perlite the only thing i can think of is i am flooding too much..been flooding every 4 hours

could that be it ???? any help is appreciated

click80

click80

could really use help from someone that has grown in perlite alone, or any guesses...unless there is a virus the only thing i can think of is overwatering

B

Buddy Hemphill

All the other ones looked normal?

Hell...it sounds like they DIDNT get water....

thats weird...you would think things would happen to everything in that flood table...not just one here or there.

Any discoloration?

If the table is level...spotty nutrients shouldn't be it...nor ph...nor temp.

If the plants around those spots start fucking up you know there is a pest/pathogen problem thats spreading.

You may have done all you can do. Pull them...look closely....keep looking closely...and so on.....

Its been my experience though, if I dont figure out what caused a problem...its gonna make itself heard.

Try to post pics and maybe one of the old hands here will spot something that you cant see.

shit...merry christmas....btw......

Weed xmas
click80

click80

there is absolutely no discolor, spots, etc.... some of the bigger fan leaves, maybe 6 leaves out of forty plants, have yellowedd a little prematurely imo so that could indiccate overwatering if its not normal yellowing, they do have just a hint of yellow tips...

here is my thinking...check me on it, i think since i have table covered in plastic really well to prevent algae, that keeps virtually all the moisture in and i have checked at the end of the four hours the roots are still very moist, thhat the overwatering has been accumulative and just gradually affected the weaker plants...there are no bugs ....so thats all i got...i am almost sure its not lack of water or they would all wilt...

B

Buddy Hemphill

Take this FWIW....I've never ebb and flowed. Would this work to set your flood cycle?...

Go into the room when the 4 hour mark arrives and turn the timer off. Watch them....until they begin to show signs that they are thirsty (first droop?). Then back the timer up 10 minutes and watch the next few cycles to make sure you haven't pushed it too far.

You may find you can pick up minutes or hours between cycles.

Maybe not wait for much droop....maybe just watch the media? I dont think it would hurt for you too make them get a little droopy once or twice to max out your feed cycle.

Again...I'm no ebb and flower...just tryin to think here....

would this help dial it in?

click80

click80

yes sir that's exactly what im gonna do...that helps you are thinkin the same...i have a table beside it of deathstar that are phenomenal...they're in hydroton...that is one more reason i dont think its disease....these are in perlite and since ive been thinkn on it awhile they shouldnt need four hour floods....cant wait to go uc man

click80

click80

Take this FWIW....I've never ebb and flowed. Would this work to set your flood cycle?...

Go into the room when the 4 hour mark arrives and turn the timer off. Watch them....until they begin to show signs that they are thirsty (first droop?). Then back the timer up 10 minutes and watch the next few cycles to make sure you haven't pushed it too far.

You may find you can pick up minutes or hours between cycles.

Maybe not wait for much droop....maybe just watch the media? I dont think it would hurt for you too make them get a little droopy once or twice to max out your feed cycle.

Again...I'm no ebb and flower...just tryin to think here....

would this help dial it in?

and btw thanks for hitting me back...i cannot afford to lose a table of forty right now...so i was freakin myself out for a second there....im way too uptight lately.....i know once i go aeroflo or uc it will be much smoother around these parrts....

and again, thanks for the response man, you def helped ease my mind

click80

click80

are you suing individual drip lines? or it a true flood? because lines can clog causing a "limp" look ive seen plants really starve for water before and they look limp. just a guess since you have no real symptoms of what else it could be. if it happens again you should take a pic

its true flood....i know this sucks...if it isnt overwatering im screwed....i went in and looked a little while ago and the one is totally limp...i will post a pic at lights on....in the meantime i am letting them go until they hit the temp wilt point to see how long the perlite holds moisture.....i also am setting up a ph'd ro water res....beyond that im clueless....the rest are doing great...ty foor the response

click80

click80

1225012311.jpg
1225012311a.jpg
1225012312.jpg
1225012312a.jpg
1225012312b.jpg
1225012312c.jpg
1225012315.jpg

okay pics...thhe first one is the one that was in the pprocess of wilting and as u can see now totally fuckd...took pic immediately after pulling from table.....there is a pic of another starting to wwiilt and the leaves look to me what i have heard overwatering looks like....i dont think its nutes cause the rest are fine...i took a few pics of the others...these are on week 3-4.....any help iss appreciated

click80

click80

now im thinking lockout....i always seem to overlook the obvious...

click80

click80

well as i understand it...with lockout the ec of the medium becomes higher than the ec inside the roots, via osmosis water will migrate from the lower ec [from the plantt] to the higher ec and dehydrate the plant...i have never had this happen

so i am going on this...i know the plant is losing/or not taking in water somehow...if it's overwaatering thats an easy fix [ i've gone to 12 hour waterings]...if its lockout, i've changed over to a new res of ph'd ro water..after one flood it rose to .6 ec/300ppm.....i don't know if thats a lot but i think its an indication i was overnuting...plus i was getting a pretty good upwards ph drift but they looked so good i thought it was normal drift....

so the warning signs were there but i was being cocky...

also i just went from an oakton ppm meter to a bluelab ec/ppm meter and i forget how big a difference there is between ec and the oakton ppm scale...

i had them at 1.8 and maybe that was too much for week 3...the p. express is a new strain for me so i should have backed it down...i have a tendency to overnute cause i use co2...

so when i do flood again i will check the ph in the perlite and see whats up but the one flood i did came back at 6.1 ph....the new res was ph'd at 5.6

i still think it could be overwatering/or a combo of overwtering and ph/nute overdose.... i'm just covering all i can think of....

thanks for your response iit helps to have someone to bounce shit off of....i don't have anyyone local i ccan go to for advice....lol

hey you could help me with another question...my patients need some meds pretty quick, i have a pineapple express mom im budding...shes on day40..in soilless foxfarm, the trich's are 50/50 and she's been on co2 all the way. i dont mind sacrificing a little weight...should the strength be okay? ...she's sticky enough...i just want my patients to get medicated although they wont be charged much, im not like that...and one more question, do you use co2 and if so does that knock time off flowering? cause it seems to for me.

here are some pics
1226010743.jpg
1226010736.jpg

1226010735.jpg

ttystikk

ttystikk

click, I think you're on the right track; take your best guess about the cause, try something to address it and observe the results. That's all you can really do- when you find out what worked to fix the problem then you know what it was... diagnosis by hindsight.

Definitely didn't need to ebb n flow more than once or twice a day in perlite. Maybe nute strength is high as well. How did the one you pulled do? Did you replant it? Is it in straight water?

click80

click80

click, I think you're on the right track; take your best guess about the cause, try something to address it and observe the results. That's all you can really do- when you find out what worked to fix the problem then you know what it was... diagnosis by hindsight.

Definitely didn't need to ebb n flow more than once or twice a day in perlite. Maybe nute strength is high as well. How did the one you pulled do? Did you replant it? Is it in straight water?

dude im so out of room i just chunked it...i have my friends stuff, his wife has cancer so i have all his moms, and i have to clone for his patients, and do their meds also....im just so out of pocket on his stuff/changes i had to do, and my patients are out of meds, his too, so i am embarrassed to say it but i chunked it, my xmas sucked and im just too stressed...i have one maybe two more doing the same, i'm leaving them in and just running low ppm ph'd ro h2o on 12 hour/prob. more flood cycles....

yeah i'm seeing why the experienced peeps, like the dutch, only flood once or twice a day at most....i will wait and see...but if it is overwatering and the roots get to a certain point it's fubar time....glad i put in forty

i will never use straight perlite again...i think i'll step over to coco...i was trying to save money and i'm tired of fucking with clay balls...i had heard perlite was okay...hydro store people, when will i ever learn to not listen to 'em..

click80

click80

nevermind, ive been really happy with canna, but i know there are other alternatives, im new to coco and picked up the whole canna line for coco, havent really needed to try anything else yet ive been happy with the results!

ohhhh....i got ya, duh... cool i got a girl i gotta go see up there...i need to hit a bigger place than this hole in the wall down here....i would have started at canna anyway...heard good things about them...thanks man...you do drip? or can you w/coco

click80

click80

ya you can do drip, but right now it all by hand, to its not so accurate but ive heard or nice flood n drain set up in smart pots and coco. ive fed them 3 time in one day, all they do is respond great, they love it, i love it

ya i have all these mom's so been thinking of doing one by hand, itt wouldnt add too much work that i can think of...im so anal about my shit i think doing one by hand would be fun....especially not having to deal with a res, air stones etc...

thanks man...my fingers are all gummy...lol...went ahead and chopped that one..looks good..these p. express are rilly sticky...props to the the resin god's...ha

Latest posts

Top Bottom