Help With Russet Mites!

• Thread starter Gidgetinore
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

Gidgetinore

Greeting from Oregon!

I have Russet Mites on my Cannabis plants. I have been using Trifecta and while it does kill the little bastards, being able to wet each and every leaf is next to impossible. I use an atomizer, and have pruned my plants to allow better coverage. I have spoke with other local growers, who use Redtail Microbial Inoculant. My question is, does anyone know how this kills the Russet Mites? The mfg website indicates you apply via root drench, however the other growers are applying via foliar spray.

Will the Trifecta kill off the microbes in the Redtail if it is applied by foliar spraying, what if I use root drench to apply?

I am gaining ground with these Mites, but would like to kill them off completely.

I have emailed the mfg seeking help, but have yet to get a response. Their site cautions that Redtail is not to replace other pest killing regiments.

So I am really confused. The other growers can't answer this nor can my local grow supply.

Help guys!

CaliRooted

CaliRooted

Microbes are the last thing I'd worry about if I had Russtes. Atomizer should cover everything as it needs to be. There's some pretty Interesting info put out from the Grape industry about using Ice cold water to trick the mites into thinking it's fall when they natrualy slow down. Look into it..

G

Gidgetinore

Microbes are the last thing I'd worry about if I had Russtes. Atomizer should cover everything as it needs to be. There's some pretty Interesting info put out from the Grape industry about using Ice cold water to trick the mites into thinking it's fall when they natrualy slow down. Look into it..

G

Gidgetinore

My plants are outdoor and way too big for the ice water. I have read that is one way to combat them. The interesting thing about the Redtail, is the other growers state that the microbes in it will cause the plant to produce a fungus of sorts that is harmless to the plant, but kills the Russets. Although I find nothing that supports this. I wish the manufacturer would reply to my email. The Trifecta works well, I just want 100% of the creeps off my beautiful plants. The plants show no visible sign of the Russets, but I found them by inspecting my leaves under a microscope.

S

SnowshoeJoe

I saved an outdoor crop last year with Nukem. I followed directions for three applications and knocked them out. Finished the crop with good results.

G

Gidgetinore

I saved an outdoor crop last year with Nukem. I followed directions for three applications and knocked them out. Finished the crop with good results.
Interesting... I think I will find out if it will interfere with the Trifecta I have been using. I would like to try another product to increase my chances of killing them all off. Did you spray into flowering?

S

SnowshoeJoe

Interesting... I think I will find out if it will interfere with the Trifecta I have been using. I would like to try another product to increase my chances of killing them all off. Did you spray into flowering?
Yes, l sprayed in early flowering right about this time of year. Good luck

CaliRooted

CaliRooted

Just my opinion on nuke em makes the end product tatste nasty

G

Gidgetinore

Just my opinion on nuke em makes the end product tatste nasty
I am really wanting to know how spraying with microbial inoculant such as "Redtail" works to get rid of Russet Mites. I grow on a fairly large co-op, and the other "more experienced" growers are only using that. I can't find anything online to support Thst. I watered my plants with a organic compost tea, which of course is full of microbes. So I am really confused as to how this Redtail works to kill the mites. To my knowledge, they are not using any thing other than the Redtail.

Does this even make sense to anyone?
I would love to think that I can use this, and that the plant produces something that kills them off. Yes.. I would love the easy way out!
I don't have a bad infestation, as I said before the plants show no signs of trouble. Does anyone know, if you have only a mild outbreak, with the plants looking and flowering great, will the mites even have an impact?

CaliRooted

CaliRooted

You have remember cannabis has been illegal so there is lack of info and research in afew areas still . They'll have major impact on weight totals

B

Burned Haze

Like others stated( with a few edits and other products to win battle)
Venerate xc & Grandevo rotated every 3 days at highest rate. Use nuke em (3) times in between 3 hours at highest rate . to rotate your spraying You could even use Met52 EC , pfr97 , azaguard (2x % as AzaMax + bennies) ,conserve sc ( high % based spinosad , veg only and certain states allow it)

+ if you wanted to go predator mites as a extra defense ( don’t use nuke em then ) then use Amblyseius cucumeris & Amblyseius swirskii

Combine both and maybe youll win (why play around with a pest that makes growers move away ). I know if you just use one organic substance or just be lazy you won’t or just use simple based stuff ( just a band aid or wat work.. sorry )

Last edited by a moderator:
MirrorZen

MirrorZen

When I looked it up it said it doesn't replace any insecticide, I have used Beauveria Bassiana in the form of Botanigard, it is great for any soft bodied pest. It is a fungi that kills them in a pretty gnarly way, taken over by fungi. So fungi killing pests is a possibility, but it's up to you. I like pyrethrin as well, done me well. Nuke em is okay, but never really knocks them down like pyrethrin, Botanigard or even green cleaner.

G

Gidgetinore

Thanks so much. I think I will use the Redtail and apply by root soaking, and continue with the Trifecta. I pull a good sample from each plant, and after spraying with the Trifecta every other day for the past couple of weeks, I am seeing that the larger Mites are dead, and the only living ones are really tiny. Breaking the life cycle is key. In case anyone is having Russet Mite issues.. About three weeks ago, I sprayed my plants with a 1:1 ratio of water and 91% alcohol. It indeed killed them, and the plants did fine, except there were a few leaves with minor burning. I think once I see a big drop in Mites, I will reduce spraying to every four days till harvest.

I appreciate all the advice, and will post an update at harvest. As the legalization continues, I'm sure the whole Russet Mite plague will have more options.

G

Gidgetinore

Just wanted to give an update incase others are battling the bastard Russet Mites. We went in and cleaned up the plants, basically removing all the little stuff. We are using large wire cages to hold the plant and branches up, we pretty much removed everything inside the cage. We have sprayed diligently every other day using just the Trifecta with a ratio of two tablespoons per gallon. I am now having a very hard time finding any Russet Mites that are alive. We will continue spraying every three to four days now. Once we are two weeks from harvest, we will stop spraying.
It has been a bitch load of work, but it's paying off. All 24 of my babies look great and show no signs of any bugs.

Trick is... Can't be lazy when dealing with these bastards, and while the Trifecta is a little costly, you can't skimp.

SSlayer69

SSlayer69

My plants are outdoor and way too big for the ice water. I have read that is one way to combat them. The interesting thing about the Redtail, is the other growers state that the microbes in it will cause the plant to produce a fungus of sorts that is harmless to the plant, but kills the Russets. Although I find nothing that supports this. I wish the manufacturer would reply to my email. The Trifecta works well, I just want 100% of the creeps off my beautiful plants. The plants show no visible sign of the Russets, but I found them by inspecting my leaves under a microscope.
I feel you those russet mites are a hand full. I'm going outside also. Try Big Time Exterminator it's basicly dish soap and citrus acid. Safe to spray up to day of harvest.

S

statefarmz

I just dealt with a huge infestation of Russet Mites in my commercial grow. The only thing that was able to really kill them has been Sulfur mixed with DE. There is simply no combination that will work as well as this. I have used everything mentioned above and I repeat nothing worked as well as this.

Stop feeding your plants for a week because the Russet Mites feed off Nitrogen. Mix Sulfur (2 tablespoon per gallon) with DE (pour enough DE that will make your mix a milky consistency) I used soap as a wetting agent - APPLY AS A FOLIAR SPRAY. The DE works after it is dry, the sulfur works on impact. Repeat this spray every two-three days. The results will be immaculate.

Keep in mind that this cannot be applied if you have sprayed any type of oil. In the case, that you have sprayed something with oil, such as Mantis, you will have to wait two weeks to spray this

Mr.jiujitsu

Mr.jiujitsu

I just dealt with a huge infestation of Russet Mites in my commercial grow. The only thing that was able to really kill them has been Sulfur mixed with DE. There is simply no combination that will work as well as this. I have used everything mentioned above and I repeat nothing worked as well as this.

Stop feeding your plants for a week because the Russet Mites feed off Nitrogen. Mix Sulfur (2 tablespoon per gallon) with DE (pour enough DE that will make your mix a milky consistency) I used soap as a wetting agent - APPLY AS A FOLIAR SPRAY. The DE works after it is dry, the sulfur works on impact. Repeat this spray every two-three days. The results will be immaculate.

Keep in mind that this cannot be applied if you have sprayed any type of oil. In the case, that you have sprayed something with oil, such as Mantis, you will have to wait two weeks to spray this

DE?

Top Bottom