Hi! Cree Cxa 3070 Q

• Thread starter LFP
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

LFP

Hi! I'm new :>
So the all DIY LED stuff got to my head. I got some blocked money on my paypal and found some CXA 3070 for 30$ each + free shipping (3000k). Are they worth buying? I know about the better ones like CXA 3590, CXB etc... but sinply can't affort. I don't know what I'm building yet so...
Buy YES/NO ?
Thanks!

seaslug

seaslug

It depends on the brightness bin code. Probably not worth it. I paid $32US for CXB3070 from Cutter in Australia, $42 for CXB3590. Discount code CUTANDROLL. cutter.com.au

The brightness bins are difficult to compare between product lines so Cree has a PCT:
http://pct.cree.com/dt/index.html

L

LFP

What is better for spectrum 3000k or 3500k? I've read that with 3500k you don't need more cold white...

Toaster79

Toaster79

I don't understand the link...

I don't blame you, it's programm code one needs to learn.

The content, the link is pointing at is, on the other hand ,a brilliant tool for the OP to compare all the possible parameters between the products he's interested in. Much easier than digging through individual data sheets which start to messing with your memmory quickly as the ammount of information is enormous.

seaslug

seaslug

"Flux Bin" is the correct term for brightness grades, page 13.

The 3000K data is on page 4.

Jerry Meng at Kingbrite (alibaba) is/was selling CXA3070 3000K AB bin for $22 + $40 DHL + 4.5% Paypal fee. If you can get AB bin for $30 delivered, that's not bad but you might as well get CXB3070 from Cutter. It depends how many COBs you buy at one time, of course.

The PCT software is useful because Cree used different test currents between model revisions.

Reactions: LFP
keiksweat

keiksweat

"Flux Bin" is the correct term for brightness grades, page 13.

The 3000K data is on page 4.

Jerry Meng at Kingbrite (alibaba) is/was selling CXA3070 3000K AB bin for $22 + $40 DHL + 4.5% Paypal fee. If you can get AB bin for $30 delivered, that's not bad but you might as well get CXB3070 from Cutter. It depends how many COBs you buy at one time, of course.

The PCT software is useful because Cree used different test currents between model revisions.
Seaslug,what's the3- step,4- step part mean on the 3500k ones.and wich are best.ab-bin is best I asume?thanks for any input.this is the hardest part for me,getting the best product for my £notes.wish I could order it all over the phone,instead of trusting myself to tick all the right boxes,be so much easier if I could actually speak to this Jerry from kingbrite...thanks again ss.

Toaster79

Toaster79

Understanding the McAdams ellipse

15 B01 McAdamEllipses4 copy

basseye

basseye

Wow after reading all these answers it is actually more confusing then before i saw this lol.do you guys ever give simple answers on anything cob related,i mean is there a go to chip for weed growing like the 3500k and is there a preferred brand as it seems theres alot of cob copy cats on amazon.
I can solder and wire with the best of em but building one of these diy panels just seems super complicated with all the voltage talk and driver options within the few led threads here.

seaslug

seaslug

What matters is the forward voltage of the LEDs and matching Vf to the constant current region of the driver. A modern LED driver converts AC voltage to DC voltage at a set current. Vf at a given current can be estimated by looking at the graph on a data sheet or using the Cree PCT (linked to above). The current is chosen based on power vs efficiency vs initial cost vs operating cost vs light spread (number of COBs), passive vs active cooling, etc.

A "go-to" DIY COB is the CXB3590 in either 3000K or 3500K. The prices have been drifting upward; I'm waiting to pull the trigger on 90 CRI 3000K

I like tastyled.com for ready-made (but I don't own one).

Keiksweat, the COBs being offered by Jerry Meng and Cutter can be considered "good" brightness bins. Lame, outdated COBs can be found at Verical.com. Verical had a few good deals at small quantities but then they jacked prices.

Last edited:
D

Duder

Wow after reading all these answers it is actually more confusing then before i saw this lol.do you guys ever give simple answers on anything cob related,i mean is there a go to chip for weed growing like the 3500k and is there a preferred brand as it seems theres alot of cob copy cats on amazon.
I can solder and wire with the best of em but building one of these diy panels just seems super complicated with all the voltage talk and driver options within the few led threads here.
Yeeeah, You could always make it a little simpler and just grab some vero 29s for 30 bux. The basics apply with Vegg and bloom spectrum’s. All of this is relatively new and depending on what your trying to achieve(all in one solutions will probably net all in one type results). The prices of the crees seem ridiculous compared to the Veros, especially considering the same COB may be worth $2 in a year and may have saved you 2 dollars over 6 months in energy costs over the Vero or el Cheapo Cobs . You can get decent results with the el cheapo ebay cobs but the consistency between 4 chips from the same vendor can vary to the extremes in terms of quality. There really isn’t any one COB out there at the moment that anybody can say will give you "The best ever" results for every stage of growth for your particular environment . I can say that my mix of Veros, crees and el cheapos stomp on my old t5s in every way.

I would love to know what Diodes were used in the vertical strip light 4x4 grow here on the farm. The final numbers were pretty impressive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom