Holy Overfed Cannabis, Batman!

• Thread starter Douglas.C
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Douglas.C

Douglas.C

Just a heads up to new growers, dark green is a sign you're killing the quality of your end product. Though each strain has it's own particular shade of green, I have yet to run across a strain which turned a better quality product through overfeeding.

Cannabis will permanently attach excess nutrients to new growth. This happens when the plant has excesses available. This excess will never flush/fade out, not even with plain water for over a month.

Goal?

Feed your plant the bare minimum required to sustain full and healthy, vigorous growth. :)

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

Just a heads up to new growers, dark green is a sign you're killing the quality of your end product. Though each strain has it's own particular shade of green, I have yet to run across a strain which turned a better quality product through overfeeding.

Cannabis will permanently attach excess nutrients to new growth. This happens when the plant has excesses available. This excess will never flush/fade out, not even with plain water for over a month.

Goal?

Feed your plant the bare minimum required to sustain full and healthy, vigorous growth. :)
Yes, The only problem is there can be a fine line between over feeding and proper nutritional requirements. From my experience this can be as little as 50 ppm.

Douglas.C

Douglas.C

Yes, The only problem is there can be a fine line between over feeding and proper nutritional requirements. From my experience this can be as little as 50 ppm.
The closer you get to what the plant wants (again, the Mel Frank numbers are a great starting point) the more you can feed without burning. Your fine line becomes 100-150ppm, instead of 50ppm.

The goal is to feed the plant a plate of food it can clean off completely, zero excess. Cannabis is a hyper/dynamic accumulator and excesses can and will be bound to new growth, without being processed by the plant. These excesses will never flush/fade out, no matter how long you give a plant plain water. :)

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
The closer you get to what the plant wants (again, the Mel Frank numbers are a great starting point) the more you can feed without burning. Your fine line becomes 100-150ppm, instead of 50ppm.

The goal is to feed the plant a plate of food it can clean off completely, zero excess. Cannabis is a hyper/dynamic accumulator and excesses can and will be bound to new growth, without being processed by the plant. These excesses will never flush/fade out, no matter how long you give a plant plain water. :)

good post

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

I have plants that burn at 550 ppm 1.1 ec and grow perfectly at 500 ppm. All my feeds are low. Here's plants feed at 450 ppm and as green as can be
DSCN0732
DSCN0733

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Great thread indeed I found with this run I've been at 700 ppm before I saw a little tip burn so I've kept them at 250 ppm to 350 ppm and there green n keen and almost cooked .

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

Listen I respect what you are trying to say, and i do know how to balance my plants nutritional needs. How do you think I can grow with low nutrient values.

Douglas.C

Douglas.C

Listen I respect what you are trying to say, and i do know how to balance my plants nutritional needs. How do you think I can grow with low nutrient values.
When you have dark green, your mix is still off and your quality is being lowered. Period. That's the nature of cannabis.

I can't get around it, you can't get around it.

Douglas.C

Douglas.C

And just how do explain the loss of quality by well fed plants, Or the reduction of trichromes by well fed plants.
I already explained this, cannabis is a dynamic/hyper accumulator and excesses are directly bound to new plant growth. I'm not here to do your research for you, I'm simply here to point out there's a different way of thinking. When you look, you'll find the same yourself in a large variety of studies on dynamic and hyper accumulator plants. The information is there for the taking, should you wish to add it to your knowledge bank.

The darker the plant, the hotter the smoke and the lower the terpene production. There's a big difference between "well fed" and being fed a properly balanced mix, a fat banker is "well fed," yet not exactly a healthy specimen. Are there strains which have a darker green hue to them than others? Indeed there are, yet nowhere near as dark as I see the majority of online posted photos.

BTW, where did I say anything about a reduction in trichomes? I'm simply talking quality differences here, not frostiness.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

So you're saying my 120, 60, 180, 75, 25, 10 Mo is not a good diet for those plants for veg.

Douglas.C

Douglas.C

So you're saying my 120, 60, 180, 75, 25, 10 Mo is not a good diet for those plants for veg.
I don't say much about veg, everything I post is for flower. People have all kinds of ideas about veg and I haven't the research into it. I use GH flora, micro:bloom @ 9:16/gal, but that's me. My goal in veg are short, stocky plants, not something everyone desires.

Excess, bound to new plant growth in veg, has zero effect on quality of the end flowers. The mix for flowering is what determines the end flower quality.

Douglas.C

Douglas.C

Now, that's what I wanted to hear from you. Not you're broad opening statement.
If you're saying that over fertilization in flower is detrimental to quality , then I agree.
It's also detrimental in veg, seeing as it's less than ideal for the plant. Since it doesn't hurt end quality, if you get flower right, it's not that big of a deal. Those who overfeed and/or have an unbalanced profile in veg, often don't get it right in flower either.

Keep in mind, the dark green is only one sign your feed is off. Simply one of the easiest to spot. :)

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

It's also detrimental in veg, seeing as it's less than ideal for the plant. Since it doesn't hurt end quality, if you get flower right, it's not that big of a deal. Those who overfeed and/or have an unbalanced profile in veg, often don't get it right in flower either.

Keep in mind, the dark green is only one sign your feed is off. Simply one of the easiest to spot. :)
The whole idea in veg is to prepare you're plants for the flowering cycle.

I don't say much about veg, everything I post is for flower
How can you ignore that phase of the plant and concentrate on flower only. Quality and quantity begin there, in the veg phase.
I said I agreed with you about over fertilization being detrimental but you don't pay much attention to veg, haven't done much research into it, but come off as a know it all.

Listen carefully. I like you and agree with what you're trying to get across to people, but you're only telling half the story.

Douglas.C

Douglas.C

The whole idea in veg is to prepare you're plants for the flowering cycle.How can you ignore that phase of the plant and concentrate on flower only. Quality and quantity begin there, in the veg phase.
Because everyone has a different setup and needs. Quality and quantity are affected less by inaccuracies in your feed in veg, than they are during flower. Veg needs are a big variable and nutritional needs vary. My experience is with my setups, which usually have nothing to do with others. No point in covering it.

During flower it becomes much more critical, so this is where I focus.

dan1989

dan1989

I already explained this, cannabis is a dynamic/hyper accumulator and excesses are directly bound to new plant growth. I'm not here to do your research for you, I'm simply here to point out there's a different way of thinking. When you look, you'll find the same yourself in a large variety of studies on dynamic and hyper accumulator plants. The information is there for the taking, should you wish to add it to your knowledge bank.

The darker the plant, the hotter the smoke and the lower the terpene production. There's a big difference between "well fed" and being fed a properly balanced mix, a fat banker is "well fed," yet not exactly a healthy specimen. Are there strains which have a darker green hue to them than others? Indeed there are, yet nowhere near as dark as I see the majority of online posted photos.

BTW, where did I say anything about a reduction in trichomes? I'm simply talking quality differences here, not frostiness.

So are we saying here feed bare minimum? As in just enough to meet the plants needs? This is how my plants look like in flower. Looks dark to me...

Media share 0 02 04 90c21916bdfb21f90fab24cde3a46daf01da5d1ea0b409449ba791a2b6f79dfc Picture
dan1989

dan1989

So are we saying here feed bare minimum? As in just enough to meet the plants needs? This is how my plants look like in flower. Looks dark to me...

What I meant is looks dark but all seemed ok. Are we saying overfeeding reduces taste, smell, appearance, yield? I'm getting the idea, but what are the comparable differences between an overfed plant and a well fed plant? Not challenging anyone here, genuinely interested...

Latest posts

Top Bottom