Home depot Paint is 90% reflective paint

• Thread starter woody420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Dont use roof paint,Use FLAT pure white paint(sometimes called titanium white),I use Kilz pure white primer myself.Flat is much more reflective than gloss or semi gloss paint.The ingredient in white paint that makes it bright also makes it highly reflective,its called titanium dioxide.Flat pure white has the most titanium dioxide of any paint,they even call it out in specs for alot of buildings as it saves energy by allowing the use of smaller wattage bulbs to acheive the same brightness,good luck!

LI grows

LI grows

Not a fan of home depot paint. Benjamin Moore is pro.
I use white masonite from Home Depot. 1/8" flat white one side. $10 for 4'x8' board and you can cut it to size with a utility knife. It can be screwed together using 1"-5/8 metal stud and assembled into what ever size chamber you need.

R

regginman

I like the durock idea, I was going with the roof paint to act as a barrier, my closest backs up to my neighbors refrigerator, that alone causes the closest to warm up if I add light the way it is now I'll never be able to manage the heat. any suggestions on that?

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

Anybody mess with FRP before? Cleans up great, just never tested reflectivity.

FRP = Fiberglass Reinforced Panels = the crap you see going half way up the wall in commercial bathrooms.

basseye

basseye

Dont use roof paint,Use FLAT pure white paint(sometimes called titanium white),I use Kilz pure white primer myself.Flat is much more reflective than gloss or semi gloss paint.The ingredient in white paint that makes it bright also makes it highly reflective,its called titanium dioxide.Flat pure white has the most titanium dioxide of any paint,they even call it out in specs for alot of buildings as it saves energy by allowing the use of smaller wattage bulbs to acheive the same brightness,good luck!
priceless info right there,thanks fw.can i ask why you prefer the kilz? im not doing a huge room but the kilz is kinda pricey from what im seeing.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

priceless info right there,thanks fw.can i ask why you prefer the kilz? im not doing a huge room but the kilz is kinda pricey from what im seeing.
Ill make a correction to my last post as i went back through my files to see what i used the last time.It wasnt kilz that i used(sure its close to the same though)it was actually Zinnser 1-2-3 flat white primer and then i sprayed Behr premium plus ultra pure white flat over that(both available at Home Depot).The primer is anti mold/microbial and zero VOCs and the paint is super reflective,the only thing better is orcafilm and since i have both i can tell you its so close you almost cant tell the difference.
I cant take credit for the combo either it was an old member here who turned me onto it,he was actually an engineer for Leeds certified buildings.Every little thing in a Leeds building is researched to the last detail for enviro friendliness and energy efficiency,he told me that combo was so efficient they could actually use 1/3 to 1/2 the wattage of lighting to achieve the same brightness in a room so i thought what the hell ill try it,lol.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leadership_in_Energy_and_Environmental_Design

R

regginman

ok fist off what is VOC? never heard that term before. so the prblm I'm for seeing is that my closet (2×4×8) is sharing a wall with my neighbor appliances, so I can already feel a temp difference with nothing in it. once I add my 1000 watt DE I'm afraid that I won't be able to keep it cool enough even with ventilation. I assumed that the elastomeric paint would help keep the radiating heat from next door out. I'm not opposed to anything I just want to try to get it right the first time. could I paint over the elastomeric with a flat paint? or is there another product all together that could help. thanks for all the suggestions already.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

Volatile Organic Compounds. and with everyone worrying about them there is a lot more of them in our grow rooms than you can imagine, Pots, mylar, panda films all emit VOC in our grows>

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

If your worried about your neighbors wall heat put up a reflective barrier like reflectix,going to be very hard to keep a 1k cool in that size without A/C,plus that is a very odd size footprint to cover with a 1k,better off with a couple smaller lights, 315s or even a couple leds if heat is an issue.
BTW i just painted my whole exterior a year ago with elastomeric paint,great product but completely wrong use for it in a growroom.

R

regginman

right I see what your ssayin. and I will have some a.c. in there, the odd layout of the room makes it easy to pump cold air in there. I'll look into some reflecix. and thanx Midwest I had no idea about that I'm gonna check into that as well.

R

regginman

I did totally underestimated the heat from that thing. I plan on only running it at 6 and I hope the high ceiling traps most the heat to be sucked out and the cool air keeps it close to where they need to be. but we'll see. I may have to change

Q

qwatch2000

I'm thinking using oil the based Kilz. Kilz original not Kilz 2 which is latex based. Kilz acts as a fantastic primer and barrier to mold. It comes in a nice bright white or should I paint over the Kilz. I'm looking for longevity and efficiency here, I don't want have to replace Mylar and I hear it's a pain to work with. I'm a painter. I think paint is the best way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom