Homemade 100 Gallon XXXL No Leak "Earthbox" Style Planter

• Thread starter DrFeelGood
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

DrFeelGood

I didn't think it was going to happen but my G13 Hexascrog experiment became extremely root bound in one of my Homemade 27 Gallon XXL No Leak "Earthbox" Style Planters . Drastic times call for drastic measures :banana1sv6: ! Well here it is I am just finishing building my first super colossal Homemade 100 Gallon XXXL No Leak "Earthbox" Style Planter and in tradition I am sharing with my fellow farmers in the form of a DIY. I know it is highly unlikely that anyone will end up actually building one and using it but it is just plain ridiculously epic.

Equipment list-

2 Duraflex heavy Duty 100 Gallon Stock Tanks
1 nylon hose barb to MIP elbow 3/8 " X 1/4 " Watts A-295
1.5 foot opaque poly hose 1/2 " OD and 3/8 " ID
2 zip ties
98" of 3" PVC- the one I used that fits the hole-saw is not pressure rated

Tool List-

drill with 1/2 " bit, and 3 5/8 " Hole-saw, and whatever bit makes a good size hole for your 2 medium sized zip ties to go through
two adjustable wrenches
a handsaw or chop-saw
permanent marker
tape measure
scissors
bolt cutters
silicone aquarium sealant

Dr FG

D

DrFeelGood

I did a few things differently in the build of this planter. I opted to not drill the hole for the nylon hose barb through the side of the outer tank, and to drill it through the removable drain plug instead. I also will not be drilling any holes into the side of the Stock Tank to secure the water level meter hose to the tank. The last batch of Homemade 27 Gallon XXL No Leak "Earthbox" Style Planters I made I did not secure the hose and found it really wasn't necessary because it was rigid enough that the barbed fitting holds it in place and there is a spot that you can wedge the hose into on the rim of the box. I plan on wedging the hose into a spot on the rim in the same fashion. This way I have not put any holes in the stock tank itself should I choose to use it a reservoir down the road, and I saved the drain plug from the inner box for potential use down the road as well. So go ahead and drill through the drain plug with the 1/2" drill bit and insert the nylon hose barb fitting through the plug sealing it with the silicone aquarium sealant. Put the drain plug back in the outer tank and make sure the fitting is pointed straight up while it is still wet. Allow it to cure in place in the outer tank.

Dr FG

Picture 015
Picture 008
Picture 010
D

DrFeelGood

You are going to need (6) 6" pieces of 3" diameter PVC, (7) 5" pieces of 3" diameter PVC, and one 27" piece of 3" diameter PVC. Take the (6) 6" pieces of 3" diameter PVC and the one 27" piece of 3" diameter PVC and notch them several times (at one end only) with your bolt cutters if you have a set, or you can use a saw. I put 6 notches in each piece.

Dr FG

Picture 007
Picture 009
D

DrFeelGood

Now take the inner stock tank and remove the drain plug and fittings in case you end up needing them later. I plan on just plugging the hole with a piece of a rag before I end up filling the planter up with soil, or in this case I am going to use Manna Mix coconut potting mix instead because I keep on getting fungus gnats from the Roots Organic soil which I had been using. Perhaps this is where I keep getting Spider Mites from as well, who knows?

Take the inner tank and flip it upside down and take your 3 5/8 " hole-saw and cut 6 holes for the (6) notched 6" pieces of 3" diameter PVC, followed by one for the notched 27" piece of 3" diameter PVC. Then drill a bunch of holes in it for drainage when you top fertilize.

Dr FG

Picture 001
Picture 002
Picture 003
Picture 004
Picture 005
Picture 006
D

DrFeelGood

Now place the (7) 5" pieces of 3" diameter PVC in the bottom of the outer tank as shown. Then place the inner tank on top of the (7) 5" pieces of 3" diameter PVC as shown making sure that your watering tube hole is on the same side as the meter. now you ca insert the (6) 6" pieces of 3" diameter PVC and the one 27" piece of 3" diameter PVC through their holes with the notched side down. Now drill your two holes through the inner tank to secure the 27" piece of 3" diameter PVC with the zip ties.

Dr FG

Picture 012
Picture 011
Picture 013
Picture 014
D

DrFeelGood

The only things left to do are- to attach the water level meter hose, to attach the black zip tie to the hose marking 5" off of the floor as a fill line, to pack the (6) 6" pieces of 3" diameter PVC with Coco Fiber, and to insert one monstrously huge plant...

Dr FG

phenotyper

phenotyper

Thanks for sharing. Awesome work. Now I am stalking both threads.

jeffadies

jeffadies

Garden of Dreams Seed Co
wow dude that is very cool. thanks for sharing the build on this.

D

DrFeelGood

I have attached the hose to the nylon barb, marked it at 5" off of the floor with a black zip tie, and put another coat of silicone aquarium sealant on the outside to try to ensure that there isn't a leak once the plant is installed. This project should be complete now :hi . Wish me luck and no leaks through the silicone seal!

Dr FG

Picture 018
Picture 017
Picture 016
jeffadies

jeffadies

Garden of Dreams Seed Co
fingers crossed. best of luck. I have a store bought earthbox but have never used it for the MMJ because it seems so shallow. Your design seems like the ultimate set up for my needs. I would love to know more about what medium and how you prefer to feed in a earthbox. When you have time that is..i know you have a HUGE transplant to get to. I really hope you got a camera man and some wicked sweet mexican wrestler masks for your crew for this transplant.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
that thing is dope!

Ill take 10 - lol

how much were the stock water tubs bro?

D

DrFeelGood

that thing is dope!

Ill take 10 - lol

how much were the stock water tubs bro?

They charged me $54 a piece at a ranch/ stockyard supply store. I have seen them as high as $85 a piece though. They also have 70 Gallon and 150 gallon ones. I thought of these because we used a 150 for a res on our RDWC set up. The 70 gallon ones might have been sufficient but the 100 gallons were only $4 more a piece so it seemed like a no-brainer.

Dr FG

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
thanks man - yeah for only 4 bux more Id have done the same

D

DrFeelGood

fingers crossed. best of luck. I have a store bought earthbox but have never used it for the MMJ because it seems so shallow. Your design seems like the ultimate set up for my needs. I would love to know more about what medium and how you prefer to feed in a earthbox. When you have time that is..i know you have a HUGE transplant to get to. I really hope you got a camera man and some wicked sweet mexican wrestler masks for your crew for this transplant.

What I have been doing is to take them from a 6" pot to an actual store bought Earthbox, then from an actual store bought Earthbox to one of my Homemade 27 Gallon XXL No Leak "Earthbox" Style Planters , and until now I have not had to transplant from one of my Homemade 27 Gallon XXL No Leak "Earthbox" Style Planters to Homemade 100 Gallon XXXL No Leak "Earthbox" Style Planters. You want to bottom water and top feed. I have been fertilizing once a week but you could probably do it more frequently and mix the nutrients weaker. Up until now I have used Roots Organic but I have switched to Manna Mix which is a coconut based potting mix. Manna has no nutes or beneficials in it so you have to add those immediately. Roots has been giving me Fungus Gnats which is the reason I switched. I am hoping the Manna will be better for these style planters because being that it is Coconut based it should have superior wicking properties. Don't be fooled by the shallowness of a store bought Earthbox, they are excellent and you should be able to yield up to a pound out of one of those. Transplant up if that is not enough! Good luck!

Dr FG

jeffadies

jeffadies

Garden of Dreams Seed Co
What I have been doing is to take them from a 6" pot to an actual store bought Earthbox, then from an actual store bought Earthbox to one of my Homemade 27 Gallon XXL No Leak "Earthbox" Style Planters , and until now I have not had to transplant from one of my Homemade 27 Gallon XXL No Leak "Earthbox" Style Planters to Homemade 100 Gallon XXXL No Leak "Earthbox" Style Planters. You want to bottom water and top feed. I have been fertilizing once a week but you could probably do it more frequently and mix the nutrients weaker. Up until now I have used Roots Organic but I have switched to Manna Mix which is a coconut based potting mix. Manna has no nutes or beneficials in it so you have to add those immediately. Roots has been giving me Fungus Gnats which is the reason I switched. I am hoping the Manna will be better for these style planters because being that it is Coconut based it should have superior wicking properties. Don't be fooled by the shallowness of a store bought Earthbox, they are excellent and you should be able to yield up to a pound out of one of those. Transplant up if that is not enough! Good luck!

Dr FG

are you shitting me A POUND!!! holy shitballs. and i have that thing sitting in my kitchen with nothing in it..lol
Thank you so much for the advice on feeding. I have been considering setting it up with 100% coco but still need to do more research on coco before i jump into that.

D

DrFeelGood

are you shitting me A POUND!!! holy shitballs. and i have that thing sitting in my kitchen with nothing in it..lol
Thank you so much for the advice on feeding. I have been considering setting it up with 100% coco but still need to do more research on coco before i jump into that.

Yeah my friend yields just under a pound out of them when he runs them into a SCROG. Use good Nutes, Beneficial Bacteria and Mycorrhizea, Humic Acids etc. and you will have a pleasant surprise down the road.

Dr FG

jeffadies

jeffadies

Garden of Dreams Seed Co
Yeah my friend yields just under a pound out of them when he runs them into a SCROG. Use good Nutes, Beneficial Bacteria and Mycorrhizea, Humic Acids etc. and you will have a pleasant surprise down the road.

Dr FG

how big would you say the ideal screen would be for the store bought earthbox?
I cant wait to see what you yield from your giant scrog. I check this thread daily..lol

P

P Nice

Thanks for taking the time to post this bro. Looks like a pretty rad set up. How often are you having to top off or add more water to the res?

D

DrFeelGood

how big would you say the ideal screen would be for the store bought earthbox?
I cant wait to see what you yield from your giant scrog. I check this thread daily..lol

The maximum you can fill out with most strains is 12 square feet they will fill out a 3' X 4' screen but no more than that. I would flip it when it is not entirely full and let it stretch out the rest of the way. You don't really want a plant to be entirely root bound when you flip to flower.

Dr FG

Top Bottom