Homemade 100 Gallon XXXL No Leak "Earthbox" Style Planter

• Thread starter DrFeelGood
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

DrFeelGood

Thanks for taking the time to post this bro. Looks like a pretty rad set up. How often are you having to top off or add more water to the res?

This is the first one of this magnitude. In the 27 Gallon version plants will drink up to 2 gallons per day and the bottom of those holds 6 gallons so three days.

Dr FG

jeffadies

jeffadies

Garden of Dreams Seed Co
The maximum you can fill out with most strains is 12 square feet they will fill out a 3' X 4' screen but no more than that. I would flip it when it is not entirely full and let it stretch out the rest of the way. You don't really want a plant to be entirely root bound when you flip to flower.

Dr FG

That is about the size i was thinking.
As i cleaned out my earthbox today and noticed how much medium had fallen through the screen. This got me thinking what if you put down a cut to fit coco mat on top of the screen with the coco on top of that..does that make sense or is that a bit over the top?

D

DrFeelGood

That is about the size i was thinking.
As i cleaned out my earthbox today and noticed how much medium had fallen through the screen. This got me thinking what if you put down a cut to fit coco mat on top of the screen with the coco on top of that..does that make sense or is that a bit over the top?

I have not experienced much making it through the grate before. The mat may decrease drainage ability which would keep the area above the grate more moist. I do not think it would be significant enough to cause any problems for you though if you were to decide to try it.

Dr FG

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
you wouldnt have to use that expensive hydro coco mat eith - you could get the cheapo shit on the roll at the hardware store - the stuff they use to line hanging planter baskets

jeffadies

jeffadies

Garden of Dreams Seed Co
I was using happy frog at the time so that may have been the reason for the excess mix in the bottom. Im guessing it was user error on my part. Apologies for all the dumb questions but you guys are the first that i have talked to with any experience with earthboxes.

D

DrFeelGood

I was using happy frog at the time so that may have been the reason for the excess mix in the bottom. Im guessing it was user error on my part. Apologies for all the dumb questions but you guys are the first that i have talked to with any experience with earthboxes.

My dad always said there are no dumb questions, only dumb answers ha haha ha. It is all good man.

Dr FG

jeffadies

jeffadies

Garden of Dreams Seed Co
thanks man..your monster screen has made me want to totally change my style.
With a 3 plant limit i want to stagger 3 screens in the smaller DIY design that you linked me to.

I appreciate all the info. tried to shoot ya some more rep but i have to spread some around before hitting you again.

D

DrFeelGood

thanks man..your monster screen has made me want to totally change my style.
With a 3 plant limit i want to stagger 3 screens in the smaller DIY design that you linked me to.

I appreciate all the info. tried to shoot ya some more rep but i have to spread some around before hitting you again.

It is all good- the meaning of a rep mark is irrelevant but helping patients out is what is important. I am a patient as well and I grow these monsters and run these experiments so I can make my edibles and medicinal Phoenix Tears tinctures, and also so we can all learn how to provide ourselves medicine effectively and efficiently without having to outsource and pay top dollar.

Dr FG

jeffadies

jeffadies

Garden of Dreams Seed Co
It is all good- the meaning of a rep mark is irrelevant but helping patients out is what is important. I am a patient as well and I grow these monsters and run these experiments so I can make my edibles and medicinal Phoenix Tears tinctures, and also so we can all learn how to provide ourselves medicine effectively and efficiently without having to outsource and pay top dollar.

Dr FG

This is the type of thinking this whole MMJ thing needs.I have had my card for about 6 months now and live in a smaller town. I have yet to buy any medicine that has not been through a tumbler. Everything is rushed and under cured and its horrible that this is the only other legal option until i harvest. I can not wait to be self sufficient with my med needs.

I have been looking up the tinctures as well and plan on trying to make some at harvest time.

D

DrFeelGood

Here she is in her new home with a fresh hair cut :cool0041: ! As you guys can see she hasn't grown much since the last photo update. I am so happy to have this transplant completed for her, I have had it on my mind for close to a month it seems. Limited root space should no longer be an issue :movie .

Dr FG

62711 001
62711 002
62711 003
62711 004
62711 005
D

DrFeelGood

In case anyone is wondering what the capacity of the reservoir on the XXXL Earthbox is- it is slightly over 16 gallons when the water level reaches the 5" mark on the meter.

Dr FG

Latest posts

Top Bottom