Homemade EM1

• Thread starter pRiMo303
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
pRiMo303

pRiMo303

I cannot take credit, just sharing what I found. Any of you using this? If so, adding at beginning or end of ACT brew?

Aloha thumbs and friends. I am back to give one of my biggest secrets away, it is my own homemade root inoculate or EM™/BAM(beneficial active microorganism) made with rice water, milk and sugar. There are many shelf bought version for ridiculous pricing, for those with the little know how to make ones own. House & Garden makes Root Accelerator,Hygrozyme, Sensizyme, Advanced Nutrients Voodoo Juice are some of the high priced products that my own home culture works as well as or even in some cases has even worked better. I know many growers that would not even think of culturing their own or even would have the know how to, but I offer you my knowledge for your own frugal organic gardening purposes. Not to mention how I have talked about recycling and composting with worms, now I will introduce you to the Japanese form of Bokashi Composting or fermenting and how to make your own home made cheap alternative Bokashi Buckets and Bokashi mix.

Wikipedia:

Effective Microorganisms, aka EM Technology, is a trademarked term now commonly used to describe a proprietary blend of 3 or more types of predominantly anaerobic organisms that was originally marketed as EM-1™ Microbial Inoculate but is now marketed by a plethora of companies under various names, each with their own proprietary blend. “EM™ Technology” uses a laboratory cultured mixture of microorganisms consisting mainly of lactic acid bacteria, purple bacteria, and yeast which co-exist for the benefit of whichever environment they are introduced, as has been claimed by the various em-like culture purveyors. It is reported[1] to include:

Lactic acid bacteria: Lactobacillus plantarum; L. casei; Streptococcus Lactis.
Photosynthetic bacteria: Rhodopseudomonas palustris; Rhodobacter sphaeroides.
Yeast: Saccharomyces cerevisiae; Candida utilis (no longer used) (usually known as Torula, Pichia Jadinii).
Actinomycetes (no longer used in the formulas): Streptomyces albus; S. griseus.
Fermenting fungi (no longer used in the formulas): Aspergillus oryzae; Mucor hiemalis.
The concept of ‘Friendly Microorganisms’ was developed by Japanese horticulturist Teruo Higa, from the University of the Ryukyus in Okinawa Prefecture|Okinawa, Japan. He reported in the 1970s that a combination of approximately 80 different microorganisms is capable of positively influencing decomposing organic matter such that it reverts into a ‘life promoting’ process. Higa invokes a ‘dominance principle’ to explain the effects of his ‘Effective Microorganisms’. He claims that three groups of microorganisms exist: ‘positive microorganisms’ (regeneration), ‘negative microorganisms’ (decomposition, degeneration), ‘opportunist microorganisms’. In every medium (soil, water, air, the human intestine), the ratio of ‘positive’ and ‘negative’ microorganisms is critical, since the opportunist microorganisms follow the trend to regeneration or degeneration. Therefore, Higa believes that it is possible to positively influence the given media by supplementing with positive microorganisms.

EM™ Technology is supposed to maintain sustainable practices such as farming and sustainable living, and also claims to support human health and hygiene, animal husbandry, compost and waste management, disaster clean-up (The Southeast Tsunami of 2004, the Kobe Earthquake, and Hurricane Katrina remediation projects), and generally used to promote functions in natural communities.

EM™ has been employed in many agricultural applications, but is also used in the production of several health products in South Africa and the USA.[citation needed] (fuel additive products are no longer available).

A High School in Malaysia, Sekolah Menegah Kebangsaan Dato’ Onn Butterworth, Penang, are using EM to treat Greywater, minimise odour from Septic Tank & remove sludge from drains.

This is a recipe I learned from a friend along time ago.

EM/BAM: this a trade secret!(lactobacillus culture)

1/4 cup rice

1quart Mason Jar

1 cup water

1 fine mesh strainer

80 oz milk depends on how much one is making

1 gallon container or jar

1 tsp. black-strap molasses

Procedure:

1. Place rice and cup of water in mason jar and shake vigorously until water is cloudy white, strain off rice kernels and discard into tour compost bin or cook for dinner. I have heard of the Japanese adding a dash of nato to help ferment but not needed.

2. place cap on loosely and store in a cabinet or cool dark place for 5-7 days.

3. Sift off top layer and strain liquid (serum)

4. measure your rice liquid and now add a ratio of 1 part fermented rice to 10 parts milk, I would culture in a 1 gallon jar. let sit for 5-7 days.

Rice water and milk serum fermenting 3 days – notice lid is only siting on top as to not build pressure.
5. sift off curd settlement and add to your soil or feed your animals it is good for their digestion, then there should be a light yellow serum left this is your unactivated serum.

6. Add 1 tsp molasses to feed and keep your bacteria alive and refrigerate. should have a shelf life of 6-12 months.

7. to activate microorganism activities and to room temperature non-chlorinated water at a ratio of 1 part Serum to 20 parts water.

8. feed to plants either straight into soil or follicular feeding.

pRiMo303

pRiMo303

awesome post :cigar:
Thanks, homie. Im still in limbo so please let me know results. When I tried cross referencing the information I found it posted on another organic forum. They gave credit to OP saying, "Leave it to a marijuana grower to come up with this...(they are dedicated...LOL) Anyway, glad he shared the recipe..." haha

pRiMo303

pRiMo303

Quote="Capulator, post: 1154733, member: 25818"]Is this bokashi juice? I always wanted to try that shit.[/quote]
Here is the link..figured Farmers might want to see others questions/answers. Scroll down Cap, I believe the EM is added to bran and this is what creates the bokashi method of composting..I THINK. This is supposed to be the same as EM1, which is used in bokashi composting, but I think it is when you combine it w bran and the reaction that is created that is considered "bokashi"..I THINK :)

monkeymun

monkeymun

Has anyone personally tried this? Sounds mighty promising!

Would be cool to check out the soil with a scope prior no inoculation with the recipe and then a couple of weeks after, and see if there are any noticeable changes.

samino

samino

Awesome post dude!
I noticed you mentioned yeast in the post, but its not included in the recipe care to share why?
But im on my way to the store now :) Thank you!

Oh, and would brown rice be the better choice, its more natural?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Has anyone personally tried this? Sounds mighty promising!

Would be cool to check out the soil with a scope prior no inoculation with the recipe and then a couple of weeks after, and see if there are any noticeable changes.
I have, and I don't think I got EM1.

pRiMo303

pRiMo303

Awesome post dude!
I noticed you mentioned yeast in the post, but its not included in the recipe care to share why?
But I'm on my way to the store now :) Thank you!

Oh, and would brown rice be the better choice, its more natural?
If you check the OP it says brown or white can be used. In regard to milk, the OP said any kind (not fake, like soy) can be used, but yielded more serum using 2%. Regarding, yeast..Im not the OP. If you read the comments on the link he does mention experimenting w yeast. I am a former homebrewer and am starting to experiment with washed yeast in my ACT bc I noticed it on Earth Juice Catalyst label, but I do not know enough (rates, neg effect of residual alc in yeast slurry, etc), but if you Google "brewers yeast compost tea/organic farming" there is a decent amount of info..just trying to process it.

pRiMo303

pRiMo303

I have, and I don't think I got EM1.
Can you elaborate? Did you contaminate? I am a former mycophile and brewer, so sanitation and sterilization is something I'm very mindful of when trying to propagate fungi/bacteria. Did you alter the process at all?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
It's been a long time, but yeah, I did what was directed and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited. Never really developed the serum. Then I realized as I got into it, wait, I don't have fermented rice! So what am I gonna do? Gave it up at that point because I'd been getting results by using fermented plant juices. Basically it didn't progress from stage one to stage two, so I never got that far. I don't think I contaminated because nothing seemed to happen, not even mold on the top.

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Is this bokashi juice? I always wanted to try that shit.

bokashi is activated EM w sawdust or bran
juice u will get via the composter as product of bokshi compost

Awesome post dude!
But im on my way to the store now :) Thank you!

yeast ferments organic matter contains vitamins and amino acids

pic will help u scope & id
pho-png.358553

docs here
http://www.scribd.com/doc/27315904/EM-Nature-Farming-Knowledge-Base-Agriculture

use that EM•1 to whip up EM5

EM5 is used to deter pests. This is an all-natural concoction that can be made by anyone and is in no way harmful to humans or animals. It combines water, EM•1, a distilled spirit, molasses, and vinegar. The most successful programs with EM5 involve alternating its applications with Activated EM•1 and EMFPE. EM5 is effective for reducing pest populations because EM5 contains esters formed by mixing acetic acid and alcohol, which provokes intestinal intoxication.
The formula for one gallon of EM5 is as follows (1:1:1:1:20):

1. 3/4C EM•1
  2. 3/4C Molasses
  3. 3/4C Vinegar (white or apple cider)
  4. 3/4C distilled alcohol (vodka, whiskey, tequila)
  5. Add some other plant material*
  6. Fill the gallon container with warm water (110-120ºF)
  7. Seal and ferment until pH goes below 4.0
*People often mix in hot peppers and/or garlic for added benefits.

Spray EM5 alternately with EM•1 or EM•1 Fermented Plant Extract through a hose-end sprayer. The thought here is to prevent the pests from getting used to or building a tolerance to the same product.

Often people will set up an informal program as follows:

Week One: Apply AEM•1®, 1 gallon for 1/2 acre property
Week Two: Apply EM5 . 1 gallon for 1/2 acre property
Week Three: Apply EM FPE. 1 gallon for 1/2 acre property
Week Four: Apply AEM•1®. 1 gallon for 1/2 acre property

-----
short way to do fpe:

"Fermented plant extracts -- most commonly done as a plain liquid manure or plant extract is a dynamic practice gaining increased usage in India, Africa, Asia, and Central America where poor farmers need to obtain fertility and pest control from local plants and simple on-farm extraction methods." Steve Diver, ATTRA*

For centuries extracts have been used as elixirs for all sorts of ailments. Individuals would seek out certain plant materials that were known for their beneficial properties and ferment them to extract the desired benefits. This same technology can be used to extract properties from plants such as geranium to make a citronella extra for keeping away mosquitoes. Hot peppers and garlic are also known for their pest-deterring properties. If you incorporate companion planting (basil with tomato), you may find a winning combination to give the effect you want.

Weeds and other green material can be recycled into an organic foliar spray and insect repellent. During fermentation EM•1® is able to ferment weeds and extract organic acids, bio-active substances, minerals, and other useful organic compounds from these materials which are able to promote plant growth and repel diseases or insects.
MATERIALS: 5 gallon buckets with a airtight lids, EM•1, molasses, water, leafy plant material, and a tablespoon.

PROCEDURE:

1. Collect plant material such as weeds, vegetable trimmings, and leaves. If possible chop the plant material into small pieces (i.e. 2" x 2"). Fill the bucket with as much material as possible.
  2. In a separate container prepare EM•1 solution at 1:1:100. (2.5 Tbsp of molasses and 2.5 Tbsp of EM•1 per 1 gallon of water)
  3. Pour the EM•1 solution over the plant material, filling the bucket all the way to the top.
  4. Seal bucket with an airtight lid.
  5. Place solution out of direct sunlight and allow material to ferment for a period of 2 weeks. After 2 weeks test the pH. The solution pH should be between 3.2 and 3.7.
  6. Strain off the liquid into another container. The strained liquid is the Fermented Plant Extract.
  7. The EM•1 F.P.E. is used as a foliar spray to prevent pest damage to plants. Dilute this solution 1:500 (1.5 tsp. per gallon) and spray on plant leaves as needed.
  8. The fermented plant material (not the liquid) can be used as a nutrient-rich fertilizer or compost starter. If used as a fertilizer spread it out very thin due to its strength.
  9. Store unused EM•1® F.P.E. in a dark place with relatively uniform temperatures. Solution may be stored up to 90 days.

love EM!

Pho
leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
thx cap

ps make sure there is not air in your fermenter this is anaerobic brewing!

standard air lock does not account for air space at top of container

this style I had better luck with
can also do your own w pvc if using a large container
that way there is no air at top

lock-jpg.358554

Lock
pRiMo303

pRiMo303

bokashi is activated EM w sawdust or bran
juice u will get via the composter as product of bokshi compost

yeaSSAst fermts organic matter contains vitamins and amino acids

pic will help u scope & id
pho-png.358553

docs here
http://www.scribd.com/doc/27315904/EM-Nature-Farming-Knowledge-Base-Agriculture

use that EM•1 to whip up EM5

EM5 is used to deter pests. This is an all-natural concoction that can be made by anyone and is in no way harmful to humans or animals. It combines water, EM•1, a distilled spirit, molasses, and vinegar. The most successful programs with EM5 involve alternating its applications with Activated EM•1 and EMFPE. EM5 is effective for reducing pest populations because EM5 contains esters formed by mixing acetic acid and alcohol, which provokes intestinal intoxication.
The formula for one gallon of EM5 is as follows (1:1:1:1:20):

1. 3/4C EM•1
  2. 3/4C Molasses
  3. 3/4C Vinegar (white or apple cider)
  4. 3/4C distilled alcohol (vodka, whiskey, tequila)
  5. Add some other plant material*
  6. Fill the gallon container with warm water (110-120ºF)
  7. Seal and ferment until pH goes below 4.0
*People often mix in hot peppers and/or garlic for added benefits.

Spray EM5 alternately with EM•1 or EM•1 Fermented Plant Extract through a hose-end sprayer. The thought here is to prevent the pests from getting used to or building a tolerance to the same product.

Often people will set up an informal program as follows:

Week One: Apply AEM•1®, 1 gallon for 1/2 acre property
Week Two: Apply EM5 . 1 gallon for 1/2 acre property
Week Three: Apply EM FPE. 1 gallon for 1/2 acre property
Week Four: Apply AEM•1®. 1 gallon for 1/2 acre property

-----
short way to do fpe:

"Fermented plant extracts -- most commonly done as a plain liquid manure or plant extract is a dynamic practice gaining increased usage in India, Africa, Asia, and Central America where poor farmers need to obtain fertility and pest control from local plants and simple on-farm extraction methods." Steve Diver, ATTRA*

For centuries extracts have been used as elixirs for all sorts of ailments. Individuals would seek out certain plant materials that were known for their beneficial properties and ferment them to extract the desired benefits. This same technology can be used to extract properties from plants such as geranium to make a citronella extra for keeping away mosquitoes. Hot peppers and garlic are also known for their pest-deterring properties. If you incorporate companion planting (basil with tomato), you may find a winning combination to give the effect you want.

Weeds and other green material can be recycled into an organic foliar spray and insect repellent. During fermentation EM•1® is able to ferment weeds and extract organic acids, bio-active substances, minerals, and other useful organic compounds from these materials which are able to promote plant growth and repel diseases or insects.
MATERIALS: 5 gallon buckets with a airtight lids, EM•1, molasses, water, leafy plant material, and a tablespoon.

PROCEDURE:

1. Collect plant material such as weeds, vegetable trimmings, and leaves. If possible chop the plant material into small pieces (i.e. 2" x 2"). Fill the bucket with as much material as possible.
  2. In a separate container prepare EM•1 solution at 1:1:100. (2.5 Tbsp of molasses and 2.5 Tbsp of EM•1 per 1 gallon of water)
  3. Pour the EM•1 solution over the plant material, filling the bucket all the way to the top.
  4. Seal bucket with an airtight lid.
  5. Place solution out of direct sunlight and allow material to ferment for a period of 2 weeks. After 2 weeks test the pH. The solution pH should be between 3.2 and 3.7.
  6. Strain off the liquid into another container. The strained liquid is the Fermented Plant Extract.
  7. The EM•1 F.P.E. is used as a foliar spray to prevent pest damage to plants. Dilute this solution 1:500 (1.5 tsp. per gallon) and spray on plant leaves as needed.
  8. The fermented plant material (not the liquid) can be used as a nutrient-rich fertilizer or compost starter. If used as a fertilizer spread it out very thin due to its strength.
  9. Store unused EM•1® F.P.E. in a dark place with relatively uniform temperatures. Solution may be stored up to 90 days.

love EM!

Didnt even mention the devils name and he appears. Thought about you as soon as they started talkimg about scoping innoculated soil..and boom, here you are.

Can you elaborate more on using
brewers yeast in ACT? Rates or recipe for ACT utilizing yeast from a
brew? Is residual alc in yeast nonconducive for supporting microbial life? Will the yeast start converting the molasses

pRiMo303

pRiMo303

thx cap

ps make sure there is not air in your fermenter this is anaerobic brewing!

standard air lock does not account for air space at top of container

this style I had better luck with
can also do your own w pvc if using a large container
that way there is no air at top

lock-jpg.358554

I have several of these style airlocks. Are you saying to fill bucket completely to remove the air from bucket?

Top Bottom