Homestretch Help Please

• Thread starter Shedparty
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Shedparty

hi guys first ever post and first ever grow. Been learning and reading tons on here throughout my grow but need some advice on this one. I have two plants growing of the same unknown strain. Got them as starters from a guy I’m guessing they were 4-5 weeks old. About 6-7 buds and their leaves are turning purple and I’m not sure if I can fix this and finish them a little longer or should I just cut them or just ride it out another week or two? From what I’ve read it’s a phosphorous deficiency? It has been 7.5 weeks since I flipped light from 18/6 to 12/12. Trichomes seem to begin getting milky. Looking through jewelers loupe. Growing in soil. Trying to feed tap water adjusted to 6.5 ish and fox farm tiger bloom every couple feedings. Never seen a growing marijuana plant until I got these. Learning tons as I go and trying to hang on for a good harvest. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Homestretch help please
Homestretch help please 2

S

Shedparty

The purple is only on part of the top buds of the plant on the left

Monster762

Monster762

hi guys first ever post and first ever grow. Been learning and reading tons on here throughout my grow but need some advice on this one. I have two plants growing of the same unknown strain. Got them as starters from a guy I’m guessing they were 4-5 weeks old. About 6-7 buds and their leaves are turning purple and I’m not sure if I can fix this and finish them a little longer or should I just cut them or just ride it out another week or two? From what I’ve read it’s a phosphorous deficiency? It has been 7.5 weeks since I flipped light from 18/6 to 12/12. Trichomes seem to begin getting milky. Looking through jewelers loupe. Growing in soil. Trying to feed tap water adjusted to 6.5 ish and fox farm tiger bloom every couple feedings. Never seen a growing marijuana plant until I got these. Learning tons as I go and trying to hang on for a good harvest. Any help is greatly appreciated! View attachment 837081 View attachment 837082
They look almost done. You been running clean water? Flush? 2 weeks.

Monster762

Monster762

And have you looked at this purple under different lighting?

S

Shedparty

Yea under regular lighting they are still purple. I will take pics w/o the blurple tomorrow. Thanks

ethcan

ethcan

Honestly, you don't need help. You're doing great! They are finishing well. I would start to flush them now, as your lower leaves show signs of being a bit overfed. If you're growing in soil you should begin your flush/leach now. Give them a nice heavy watering to flush build up, then just water as normal with pH adjusted water and watch the fall colors come through. Get ready for the prettiest part of your grow!

Btw, the reason your tops are fading out and not your lowers is because they are being pushed hardest by the light. The lowers will follow once you cut your nutes.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Genetics also plays a major role in purpling.
Royal Gorilla..(chop day)
Cool temps I suspect, but superior smoke! The purpling started in earnest the final 2 weeks.
My understanding of the color has to do with sugars relocating, but I could be mistaken.
12 16 17 Royal Gorilla Chop Day

F

FarmerDaniel

Looking pretty good man. Good job on your first run.

I suggest learning to train your plants to achieve as flat and even of a canopy as you can. You'll notice the buds at the top in the best light are growing the best and you can increase your yield significantly by training your plant to achieve a uniform level on your canopy and then all top buds can get that excellent light.

Read about flushing; it's a big debate in the industry and some are actually trying to figure out the science behind the practice of flushing. There are lots of opinions about it so make your own choice; don't just listen to the people who are stuck and say that you must flush because the science is not there to prove it; it's really just a bunch of "old schoolers" that think they have everything figured out because it's "worked" anecdotally in the past. I found a good article that sums up the situation for you and I might even get flamed here for even suggesting that flushing might not be doing anything for your final product other than making less of it. Just think about it from a scientific standpoint and not from a culture that's been hidden in closets and basements for the past several decades. Here's the link below...

http://www.cannabisbusinesstimes.com/article/to-flush-or--not-to-flush/

S

Shedparty

CC560100 B7E7 437E BCEE 5EBAE62A4AD2
Hey folks thanks for all the advice and support. I guess I’ll just continue with h20 at the correct ph for another week or so. Buds still look good just wasn’t sure if I messed something up. I let them veg way too long as I wanted to make sure I could keep them happy. I was also afraid of doing much cutting or training as it was my first run. Lots of adjustments for the next grow but I’ll be happy just getting something decent out of my first run w/o ruining it. Temps get down to 67 at night and 79 during the day. Humidity is 45-55

Erick31876

Erick31876

You should get a jeweler's loupe or handheld microscope so you can see what the color of the trichomes are as well.that will give you an indication of when they are ready. Good job by the way. Plants look awesome.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

View attachment 837167 Hey folks thanks for all the advice and support. I guess I’ll just continue with h20 at the correct ph for another week or so. Buds still look good just wasn’t sure if I messed something up. I let them veg way too long as I wanted to make sure I could keep them happy. I was also afraid of doing much cutting or training as it was my first run. Lots of adjustments for the next grow but I’ll be happy just getting something decent out of my first run w/o ruining it. Temps get down to 67 at night and 79 during the day. Humidity is 45-55
Beautiful!! I hope you kept notes to refer to on your next grow..They will help a lot!..BTW..next time you "mess up" like that..send those beauties to moi!!..LMAO
Gimme 4

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
relax this is called a great run. Hope this helps you understand better of the chemistry of cannabis

Its all about the genetics and anthocyanin

Cannabis comes in a variety of different sizes, strains, shapes, and even colors. Many people forget that it’s a flower, and a very beautiful one. For example, a marijuana plant can be red, black, blue, purple, yellow, pink, or even combine multiple colors.

If you are a grower and regularly visit a grow site, chances are you’ve seen that some plants change color during the flowering period. The reason for this is genetics. A wide variety of cannabis strains come with different cannabinoid ratios and anthocyanin.

What is Anthocyanin?

Anthocyanin is a powerful biological compound present in all plants. It’s responsible for the bright changes in plant colors when summer turns to fall. In fact, this change is often referred to as “the fall effect.”

In the early fall, the temperature drops, and tree leaves turn from green to gold, orange, red, or yellow. The reason for this change is the cooler temperature that inhibits the production of chlorophyll, a component vital to photosynthesis.

Anthocyanin, which is present within the vacuole of the cells in plants tissues, activates its coloring pigment as a response to the temperature change. As the result, plants change their color.

Anthocyanin can fall anywhere on a spectrum of blue or purple but the color depends on pH level and strain genetics. For example, a strain’s growth process triggers genes that produce unique color ranges. Here are some other phytochemicals apart from Anthocyanin and their colors:

• Lycopene – Red
  • Carotenoids – Yellow
  • Chlorophyll – Green
  • Anthoxantin – White
Simply explained, when a marijuana plant feels that the harvest time is close, nature invokes the color change, enabling the flowers to mature, just like the fall leaves. During the maturation period, each phytochemical blossoms, allowing us to see the full-color spectrum.

Just a decade ago, blue and purple marijuana strains were hard to come by. Varieties such as Purple Passion, Purple Urkle, and other purple-colored strains are the result of a long process of selective breeding, which developed increased production of purple, red and other pigments.

Purple and Blue Strains

Purple is the second most common color variation. Some strains have so much anthocyanin that you don’t even need to reduce temperature to trigger the process of color change. For example, strains such as Purple Kush, Grandaddy Purple, Urkle, Forbidden Fruit, Blackberry Kush, Purple Diesel, and others naturally start to lose the green chlorophyll at the end of their lives.

For example, the color of the buds of Forbidden Fruit strain range from forest to vibrant greens with shades of blue, purple, and even pink.

Although many people know that color doesn’t increase THC levels in marijuana plants, a purple or blue weed is like a holy grail to them. If you want to try to grow your own colorful weed, here’s what you should do:

• Purchase cannabis seeds that have the right genetics (use the list of purple and blue cannabis strains included above)
  • Grow carefully by controlling the temperature. This means slightly reducing the temperature to mimic fall temperatures at the end of the growing season when chlorophyll starts to break down (below 50 degrees Fahrenheit). Do this during the nighttime cycle every night
  • Use LED lights. They can facilitate the production of anthocyanin on specific spectrums
  • Don’t believe those saying that depriving your plants of oxygen, carbon dioxide, or other gases facilitates change color. The only thing it really does is hurting your cannabis.

Red and Pink Strains

These colors are rare but that doesn’t mean that you can’t buy and try to grow them yourself. In fact, if you do, you may be rewarded with a gorgeous thing rich in THC. Many cannabis strains express pink and red coloration in a variety of ways; for example, Pink Berry strain bred by Apothecary Genetics has dusky, rose-colored buds.

In addition to Pink Berry, the following are the examples of strains that turn rosy:

• Pink Panties
  • Pink Candy
  • Pink Kush
  • Pink Mango
Perhaps due to their good looks, red and pink strains are being used more and more these days, For example, one of the strains that carry dominant red tones is Pink Flower Shaman, bred from Skunk and Purple #1, has a beautiful red appearance as well as anti-depression effect.

To grow red or pink weed, you need to:

• Choose high-quality genetics. Given that these colors are pretty rare, it’s critical to select a strain that produces pink buds, not just pink coloration in the leaves
  • Keep cool temperatures. This rule applies here as well: keep the nighttime temperature to mimic chilly temperatures below 70°F (21°C) but higher than 65°F (18°C) to facilitate the dominance of colorful phytochemicals
  • Use quality light. This is a major factor that influences growth and gives the marijuana the intensity needed to coax out the colors.

Yellow and Orange Strains

As it was mentioned above, carotenoid is the phytochemical that gives cannabis hues of yellow, orange, and gold. The list of cannabis strains that have these colors as predominant includes Kandy Skunk, Wicked OG, Lemon Kush, Olive Oyl, and Grapefruit.

Let’s discuss Lemon Kush strain to give you an idea of the best growing conditions to increase the color. This hairs and buds of Lemon Kush turn yellow/orange if the alkalinity is increased by the end of the flowering phase. You can achieve that by providing nutrient-rich growing soil added with organic matter.

Cannabis grows best in soil with a pH between 6.5 and 7.0, To know the pH of the soil you’re using, you can buy an electronic pH tester.

Does Color Affect Potency?

Unfortunately, the color of cannabis has a zero impact on potency, so even if you achieve these beautiful shades, that won’t mean that your plants have increased THC or CBD levels.

Conclusion

So, we learned that cannabis changes color due to a simple process that turns green leaves orange and yellow in the fall. Also, we learned that to produce colorful buds, you have to keep in mind that there are three essential requirements: pH, temperature, and illumination.

Hope this article helped you to know what factors have a play in the cannabis color changing process and how to grow a rainbow weed in a shade you want.

S

Shedparty

Thanks to all for the info! I have a jewelers loupe and will
Keep watching my trichomes. Just wasn’t sure if purple was bad or anything. Excited for my first harvest

WhtChocolate

WhtChocolate

relax this is called a great run. Hope this helps you understand better of the chemistry of cannabis

Its all about the genetics and anthocyanin

Cannabis comes in a variety of different sizes, strains, shapes, and even colors. Many people forget that it’s a flower, and a very beautiful one. For example, a marijuana plant can be red, black, blue, purple, yellow, pink, or even combine multiple colors.

If you are a grower and regularly visit a grow site, chances are you’ve seen that some plants change color during the flowering period. The reason for this is genetics. A wide variety of cannabis strains come with different cannabinoid ratios and anthocyanin.

What is Anthocyanin?

Anthocyanin is a powerful biological compound present in all plants. It’s responsible for the bright changes in plant colors when summer turns to fall. In fact, this change is often referred to as “the fall effect.”

In the early fall, the temperature drops, and tree leaves turn from green to gold, orange, red, or yellow. The reason for this change is the cooler temperature that inhibits the production of chlorophyll, a component vital to photosynthesis.

Anthocyanin, which is present within the vacuole of the cells in plants tissues, activates its coloring pigment as a response to the temperature change. As the result, plants change their color.

Anthocyanin can fall anywhere on a spectrum of blue or purple but the color depends on pH level and strain genetics. For example, a strain’s growth process triggers genes that produce unique color ranges. Here are some other phytochemicals apart from Anthocyanin and their colors:

• Lycopene – Red
  • Carotenoids – Yellow
  • Chlorophyll – Green
  • Anthoxantin – White
Simply explained, when a marijuana plant feels that the harvest time is close, nature invokes the color change, enabling the flowers to mature, just like the fall leaves. During the maturation period, each phytochemical blossoms, allowing us to see the full-color spectrum.

Just a decade ago, blue and purple marijuana strains were hard to come by. Varieties such as Purple Passion, Purple Urkle, and other purple-colored strains are the result of a long process of selective breeding, which developed increased production of purple, red and other pigments.

Purple and Blue Strains

Purple is the second most common color variation. Some strains have so much anthocyanin that you don’t even need to reduce temperature to trigger the process of color change. For example, strains such as Purple Kush, Grandaddy Purple, Urkle, Forbidden Fruit, Blackberry Kush, Purple Diesel, and others naturally start to lose the green chlorophyll at the end of their lives.

For example, the color of the buds of Forbidden Fruit strain range from forest to vibrant greens with shades of blue, purple, and even pink.

Although many people know that color doesn’t increase THC levels in marijuana plants, a purple or blue weed is like a holy grail to them. If you want to try to grow your own colorful weed, here’s what you should do:

• Purchase cannabis seeds that have the right genetics (use the list of purple and blue cannabis strains included above)
  • Grow carefully by controlling the temperature. This means slightly reducing the temperature to mimic fall temperatures at the end of the growing season when chlorophyll starts to break down (below 50 degrees Fahrenheit). Do this during the nighttime cycle every night
  • Use LED lights. They can facilitate the production of anthocyanin on specific spectrums
  • Don’t believe those saying that depriving your plants of oxygen, carbon dioxide, or other gases facilitates change color. The only thing it really does is hurting your cannabis.

Red and Pink Strains

These colors are rare but that doesn’t mean that you can’t buy and try to grow them yourself. In fact, if you do, you may be rewarded with a gorgeous thing rich in THC. Many cannabis strains express pink and red coloration in a variety of ways; for example, Pink Berry strain bred by Apothecary Genetics has dusky, rose-colored buds.

In addition to Pink Berry, the following are the examples of strains that turn rosy:

• Pink Panties
  • Pink Candy
  • Pink Kush
  • Pink Mango
Perhaps due to their good looks, red and pink strains are being used more and more these days, For example, one of the strains that carry dominant red tones is Pink Flower Shaman, bred from Skunk and Purple #1, has a beautiful red appearance as well as anti-depression effect.

To grow red or pink weed, you need to:

• Choose high-quality genetics. Given that these colors are pretty rare, it’s critical to select a strain that produces pink buds, not just pink coloration in the leaves
  • Keep cool temperatures. This rule applies here as well: keep the nighttime temperature to mimic chilly temperatures below 70°F (21°C) but higher than 65°F (18°C) to facilitate the dominance of colorful phytochemicals
  • Use quality light. This is a major factor that influences growth and gives the marijuana the intensity needed to coax out the colors.

Yellow and Orange Strains

As it was mentioned above, carotenoid is the phytochemical that gives cannabis hues of yellow, orange, and gold. The list of cannabis strains that have these colors as predominant includes Kandy Skunk, Wicked OG, Lemon Kush, Olive Oyl, and Grapefruit.

Let’s discuss Lemon Kush strain to give you an idea of the best growing conditions to increase the color. This hairs and buds of Lemon Kush turn yellow/orange if the alkalinity is increased by the end of the flowering phase. You can achieve that by providing nutrient-rich growing soil added with organic matter.

Cannabis grows best in soil with a pH between 6.5 and 7.0, To know the pH of the soil you’re using, you can buy an electronic pH tester.

Does Color Affect Potency?

Unfortunately, the color of cannabis has a zero impact on potency, so even if you achieve these beautiful shades, that won’t mean that your plants have increased THC or CBD levels.

Conclusion

So, we learned that cannabis changes color due to a simple process that turns green leaves orange and yellow in the fall. Also, we learned that to produce colorful buds, you have to keep in mind that there are three essential requirements: pH, temperature, and illumination.

Hope this article helped you to know what factors have a play in the cannabis color changing process and how to grow a rainbow weed in a shade you want.

Jump school is in session!!
Awesome info, much appreciated.

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
Looking pretty good man. Good job on your first run.

I suggest learning to train your plants to achieve as flat and even of a canopy as you can. You'll notice the buds at the top in the best light are growing the best and you can increase your yield significantly by training your plant to achieve a uniform level on your canopy and then all top buds can get that excellent light.

Read about flushing; it's a big debate in the industry and some are actually trying to figure out the science behind the practice of flushing. There are lots of opinions about it so make your own choice; don't just listen to the people who are stuck and say that you must flush because the science is not there to prove it; it's really just a bunch of "old schoolers" that think they have everything figured out because it's "worked" anecdotally in the past. I found a good article that sums up the situation for you and I might even get flamed here for even suggesting that flushing might not be doing anything for your final product other than making less of it. Just think about it from a scientific standpoint and not from a culture that's been hidden in closets and basements for the past several decades. Here's the link below...

http://www.cannabisbusinesstimes.com/article/to-flush-or--not-to-flush/
I fully agree. Flushing isnt needed unless you overfed and need to wash out salt build up.

F

FarmerDaniel

And since you're new I just want to make sure you understand we all mean the practice of flushing at the end in an attempt to affect taste or smokability.

As mentioned above the practice of flushing the root zone to reduce salt build up is completely different and sometimes necessary.

Top Bottom