how much are dispensaries paying for a pound?

• Thread starter danko
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

turtle_bud

quit complaining

All this complaining about low prices. My gosh.

A 12 light setup is not too hard. Depending on strain, grow style, and growers experience you could pull 1-3lbs per light. Thats a low of 12 lbs and a high of 36 lbs every 8-10 weeks. Thats 36000 to 108000 every 8-10 weeks if sold for 3000. Thats 216000 to 648000 per year. minus expenses (which wouldn't be much).

Get real people. If your bitching and complaining about price then your not taking it seriously. Step your game up grow more. It's becomming a profeesional industry but there's room for the small guys as long as they know what they're doing and can produce high quality consistently.

Supply and demand. It's easier to get rid of high quality if you can offer a price lower than the competitor and still make a good living. And clearly it's possible. Dont think you're getting screwed over if a dispensary offers you 3000. If you want someone to pay 5000 then it should be a pure sativa or long flowering variety because of the simple fact that they take almost twice as long to grow. But the market only wants kush and they pay more for it so why would someone grow a plant that takes longer to finish when they can grow an easy fast flowering plant that goes right out the door as soon as it's done.

Some people grow a couple plants thinking they should get rich. I've worked my ass off to get where I am. If 3000 becomes the norm for high quality indoor and it's not enough money for some people and many people decide to quit growing, its a good thing. It's too flooded right now. Too many people who grow who have no clue what they're doing and really just need to get outta the business. We need some quality control and set pricing. Not powdery mildew and shady dispenseries.

I came down to cali last year with buds I grew home in WA. I started all my plants from seed and selected mothers. I've yet to see anything better than my Vortex mother in the whole year I've been here. The vortex didn't even make it to the dispenseries. Every person I showed it to said it was the best shit they've ever seen. I thought there would be fire every where. But it's not the case. Cali might be flooded but it's flooded with outdoor garbage. And a lot of the indoor that looks good doesn't smoke good. Usually a little harsh. And dont think you need some elite cut. I hate the saying "elite". You can find plants in many packs of seeds that would stand up to most "elite" in cali. Yes the plants are nice but a lot of it is hype. It comes down to preference really. I think it's easier to make your own selections because if you find something good than you're the only one with it unless you give it out.

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

Supply and demand can be a slippery slope for a grower when there is no verifiable measurement of the current supply and the demand is ofttimes based upon the tastes and subjective judgment of dispensary owners, employees and/or MMJ patients.

"Elite" has become such an overused adjective that it's lost it's meaning as has "the kind." What kind are you referring to, may I ask?

Customer tastes vary and half the time the strain I consider to be my own "elite" product from a run is not the best seller. The name- what's hot-what's not can play a big factor. Purps aren't as popular as they were a year ago. Whites seem to be getting hot ATM.

Where I sell, yield and growing time aren't factored into the price point, so I grow sativas and lower yielding X's of interest for myself and friends. The heavier, chunkier strains w/ weight sell for the same price, so they are what I'm growing commercially for min $3200/# whse at present.

budfriend

budfriend

If you got the bomb and i mean the real bomb...Tested meds over 20% thc, mold and everything else free do not take less then 3600 for high yielding strains and not less than 4k for kushes and longer low yeilding strains.

There is a short supply of this reguardless of what dispensaries tell you. Plus the dispensaries sell these in a couple days. The smart ones are learning to pay for the bomb.

We should set the price. There is not that much true bomb out there.

And all those idiots who keep teaching idiot dispensary owners how to grow good and then they get fired or not given what they are promised. You are idiots.

Don't teach dispensary owners how to grow make them learn on there own. The new trend im seeing is dispensaries setting up big gardens of low quality. When they learn how to grow bomb thats when the little guy is going to get pushed out. Grow for yourself.

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

Hey budfriend. Sounds like you've got it dialed in. I like your $3600 baseline much better than the $3200 I'm working with, that's for sure. lol
On the other hand, having a relationship w/ an outlet that will always take your gear might call for a discount. However, I just might try to push the envelope seeing how they're getting $60/8

PS good stuff turtle.

P

primeform

A 12 light setup is not too hard. Depending on strain, grow style, and growers experience you could pull 1-3lbs per light. Thats a low of 12 lbs and a high of 36 lbs every 8-10 weeks. Thats 36000 to 108000 every 8-10 weeks if sold for 3000. Thats 216000 to 648000 per year. minus expenses (which wouldn't be much).

Get real people. If your bitching and complaining about price then your not taking it seriously. Step your game up grow more. It's becomming a profeesional industry but there's room for the small guys as long as they know what they're doing and can produce high quality consistently.

Supply and demand. It's easier to get rid of high quality if you can offer a price lower than the competitor and still make a good living. And clearly it's possible. Dont think you're getting screwed over if a dispensary offers you 3000. If you want someone to pay 5000 then it should be a pure sativa or long flowering variety because of the simple fact that they take almost twice as long to grow. But the market only wants kush and they pay more for it so why would someone grow a plant that takes longer to finish when they can grow an easy fast flowering plant that goes right out the door as soon as it's done.

Some people grow a couple plants thinking they should get rich. I've worked my ass off to get where I am. If 3000 becomes the norm for high quality indoor and it's not enough money for some people and many people decide to quit growing, its a good thing. It's too flooded right now. Too many people who grow who have no clue what they're doing and really just need to get outta the business. We need some quality control and set pricing. Not powdery mildew and shady dispenseries.

I came down to cali last year with buds I grew home in WA. I started all my plants from seed and selected mothers. I've yet to see anything better than my Vortex mother in the whole year I've been here. The vortex didn't even make it to the dispenseries. Every person I showed it to said it was the best shit they've ever seen. I thought there would be fire every where. But it's not the case. Cali might be flooded but it's flooded with outdoor garbage. And a lot of the indoor that looks good doesn't smoke good. Usually a little harsh. And dont think you need some elite cut. I hate the saying "elite". You can find plants in many packs of seeds that would stand up to most "elite" in cali. Yes the plants are nice but a lot of it is hype. It comes down to preference really. I think it's easier to make your own selections because if you find something good than you're the only one with it unless you give it out.

I agree with nothing this guy says.

Venom818

Venom818

LMAO at this dude claiming his vortex is better than anything in cali ur funny bro i need some of what your smoking so could be delirious.Bro your talking out your ass if you think anything you have can compete with cali real elites get real.go take a look at obsouleet's thread post something better than somebody will take you serious

A

amstercal

minus expenses (which wouldn't be much).

Are you actually a Cali grower? A 12-light setup, even in commercial, what's that, like $3500 per month in electricity? Maybe someone who's seen a bill like that can correct me if I'm off. And we haven't even gotten to nutes or the veg room you'd need to turn around that quickly.

Could you post a link to your grow? The one that doesn't have many expenses? Maybe the people I know are just doing it wrong.

You come off pretty insulting in general. Yes, supply and demand rules all. Case in point, talking to people I know, their same kushes went from 4200/lb to 3600/lb in the last year because people are letting it go for 3000 a lot. Supply and demand and the desperate grower it creates have driven down prices pretty quickly. And the lines of vendors have increased and the number of dispensaries wanting things on consignment have gone up.

Really, please, write a book for the rest of us on how to find good genetics, how to grow indoor that isn't harsh, how to run a 12-light setup with expenses that wouldn't be much and how not to complain as prices drop.

Blaze

Blaze

LMAO yeah that is only gonna cost you $3,000+ a month in power, plus mortgage/rent which for something that large is gonna be at least $1500-$2000 a month. A 12 lighter can easily cost you $5,000-$6,000 a month or more to keep going, not including time and additional expenses.

Not to mention the cost of setting up the room (easily $10k-$20k for a good set up) plus nutrients and time. Chances are you will have dropped $50k before you even see a return, and you could end up easily spending a good $100k that first year, especially if you have to come up with a down-payment for the property.

Not saying it can't be done, but anyone who says it's "easy" obviously has not done it. It takes a lot of work, a lot of money, a lot of time, and you have to be really on top of your game.

T

turtle_bud

I dont know what you guys got going on but yes I am a real grower. Not all plants are the same. Thats why I said my vortex. A selection I made and was growing before vortex won the first palce prize in the High times cali med cup in the sativa category. The collective called the cut god's pussy. But really it was vortex. And I'm also a firm believer that it's a preference thing. I dont fall into hype. I understand that even though my vortex was bomb it wouldnt sell as easily as og kush in the med clubs cuz all the hype. But the real smokers know whats up.

Oh yeah I got a 12K setup and only paid 1200 last month. Not running any ac right now. Plus I got lbs of chronic organic outdoor. Oh yeah and I have a greenhouse going on at the moment check the pics. I'll go take more in a minute so you guys can see where they are at.

4th_week_009.jpg
4th_week_020.jpg
561.jpg
greenhouse_packed_002.jpg
3411.jpg
404.jpg

T

turtle_bud

The outdoor pics in the last post were from last season.

The other pics were from current grows just taken a little while ago.

I'm doing a spring crop in my greenhouse right now and the 12 k setup. I'm doing this all by myself. I dont know anyone in this town except my landlord who has written in the lease that I can grow medical marijuana here as long as I dont exceed 99 plants. And if I had more equipment I'd be goin a lot bigger. It takes a while to get established.

I hope my greenhouse buds fill in there hasn't been a lot of sunshine recently in the sunshine state but I think it's going to get nicer soon.

thcfarmer_011.jpg
thcfarmer_010.jpg
thcfarmer_009.jpg
thcfarmer_008.jpg
thcfarmer_006.jpg
thcfarmer_005.jpg
thcfarmer_004.jpg
thcfarmer_003.jpg
thcfarmer_002.jpg
thcfarmer_001.jpg

I was a little bugged by some of your accusation that I'm not a grower. So I had to go take some pics. The pics above are from right now at this moment. I plan on shopping around at some dispenseries when this is done. All organic. Platinum Bubba and Guido (og kush x snow white) are the strains I'm doing in this run.

Any of you guys care to show what you have goin on
:harvest:

It's not like I'm going to take a low ball price. I'll try to take the best I can get. All I was saying business wise there is still PLENTY OF MONEY TO BE MADE EVEN AT 3000 AN LB.

budfriend

budfriend

..............whatever...... if clubs sell your stuff at 60 and it goes fast you earned at least 3600 inmo.

There is not that much superbomb flushed and cured right around. I have endless strains i was given from clubs i wanted to try that looked bomb but one hit of the bowl i knock it out and pack something good and give the nug to my friends. Plus you got all those people who take bomb east and still get 5200-6200 on bulk all day long.

Keep the price up if your going to clubs. Maybe if you are unloading it all then less but for clubs keep the price up untill you see retail drop..

Turtle if your shit is so bomb take it elsewhere and get 3600 or more. Tell the club you where offered 3600. What happens when the next guy undercut your 3000 because he believed the bs clubs fed him. If you got the best weed why do i still get 4k and you get 3k?

If growers keep undercutting each other because they believe idiot dispensery owners who used to work in computers, construction, accounting,,,ect then everyone is screwed.

there are a million clubs and the ones with good names pay for bomb.

Also people can only smoke and move so much no matter what the price is so it does not matter what the price is. If clubs don't need anything some just throw lowball numbers out.

This is in socal im talking.

T

turtle_bud

LMFAO.
I started with $5000 5 years ago. I'd say I've worked pretty fuckin hard. Last summer I went for it and with every penny i had I invested money in an outdoor prop with a friend. Lived all summer with hardly any food or money on a property with out running water or electricity. Had to pump water from a creek into my truck and haul it back to water plants. Total investment in the summer was about 30 grand split between two people. Two people did all the work. 60 pounds later I'd say we did pretty good. After workin hard to get every penny we could for our outdoor I'm ready to sit back do the growing and let the pushers do the pushin. We were getting 3000 for our outdoor this last year and at this point I'd like to be more legal about it and not deal with all the BS. I didn't even want to deal with dispenserys in cali because I heard they dont like messing with outdoor. In washington they'll pay 3200 for outdoor if its good. and thats what i was getting. Gonna have some indoor soon and I'd like to dump it in cali.

Welcome to the real world

LMAO yeah that is only gonna cost you $3,000+ a month in power, plus mortgage/rent which for something that large is gonna be at least $1500-$2000 a month. A 12 lighter can easily cost you $5,000-$6,000 a month or more to keep going, not including time and additional expenses.

Not to mention the cost of setting up the room (easily $10k-$20k for a good set up) plus nutrients and time. Chances are you will have dropped $50k before you even see a return, and you could end up easily spending a good $100k that first year, especially if you have to come up with a down-payment for the property.

Not saying it can't be done, but anyone who says it's "easy" obviously has not done it. It takes a lot of work, a lot of money, a lot of time, and you have to be really on top of your game.

budfriend

budfriend

i would say keep it in washington and send it east...dont "dump" it in Cali....how you get 3200 for outdoor?????

glad your doing good. All im talking about is indoor. The only people who want outdoor i know send it east.

T

turtle_bud

I dont want to undercut anyone who doesn't deserve it and I'm not trying to drop the prices. Just stating that marijuana overall compared to just about anything you can grow and many other businesses has a much larger profit margin. I think it should be clear as day that most people growing are not that dedicated. They see it as a way to make a shit load of money without doin a lot of work. This is what I want to do for a profession. Not just because I can make a good living at it but because it's my passion. It's become this huge market where everyone and their mom is trying to grow at the moment. And really thats ruining it. People who think they should be making a shit load of money cuz they know some guy whose getting 5 g's an lb by transporting it across country to sell in a populated area where it's not flooded with herb but illegal to sell.

Us real growers understand it's tough to grow but there's a lot of people giving us a bad name. If I take it to a dispensery it seems to be the closest thing to legal for a grower. And for me I'm looking for that

T

turtle_bud

i would say keep it in washington and send it east...dont "dump" it in Cali....how you get 3200 for outdoor?????

glad your doing good. All im talking about is indoor. The only people who want outdoor i know send it east.

You'd be suprised. My outdoor is about as good as the mid grade indoor in Washington. Thats what they pay for mid grade.

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

despite the political-economic issues, which I'm not dismissing, they need to be discussed, very nice looking grow/room, turtle.

T

turtle_bud

Size and scale also. 1800 a pound for outdoor looks bad to some. But when you're growing 1000 lbs each summer 1.8 million doesn't look too bad. How else are you gonna move that much anyways? I know people doing this very thing. And the naive small gardeners don't get it.

It feels rewarding to be able to donate and give out high quality at a good price as long as I feel I'm seeing a good return. Good cheap pot for the masses isn't such a bad thing. Unless you're greedy or have an obsession with this paper that we've put a value on. There's more to life than money. And cannabis is much more important than $$$

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

I dont want to undercut anyone who doesn't deserve it and I'm not trying to drop the prices. Just stating that marijuana overall compared to just about anything you can grow and many other businesses has a much larger profit margin. I think it should be clear as day that most people growing are not that dedicated. They see it as a way to make a shit load of money without doin a lot of work. This is what I want to do for a profession. Not just because I can make a good living at it but because it's my passion. It's become this huge market where everyone and their mom is trying to grow at the moment. And really thats ruining it. People who think they should be making a shit load of money cuz they know some guy whose getting 5 g's an lb by transporting it across country to sell in a populated area where it's not flooded with herb but illegal to sell.

Us real growers understand it's tough to grow but there's a lot of people giving us a bad name. If I take it to a dispensery it seems to be the closest thing to legal for a grower. And for me I'm looking for that
With some exceptions, ie newbs, b/ser's, I think you're talking to the choir around here as far as passion and profession are concerned. You seemed to come across as pissed off about something in your OP and indiscriminately pointing your finger at a bunch of Calif whiners. Well, that's one way to make an entrance.

I'm a small grower and I don't feel uninformed nor do I have any allusions of grandeur. It's tough, hard work and unforgiving of fuckups. Small oversights cost $$ but now I see I'm preaching to the choir, as well. I'm hooking up w/ a large collective of small-medium sized growers. (and a couple of bigs) My point is, numbers and unity have clout. There will be Budweiser but there will always be room for good MicroBuds too once it advances to that point. What cuts the wheat from the chafe is and will continue to be applied smarts and hard work, not the size of the operation.

You say you don't want to undercut anyone that doesn't deserve it but what criterion are you using to decide who does and who doesn't?

Top Bottom