How Tall Should The Plant Be Before I Try To Put In Flower

• Thread starter bobs.buds
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bobs.buds

Hello would someone be able to tell me how tall my plants should be in order to maximize yield? Right now they are 2-3 feet tall in 3 gallon smart pots. Also this is my first grow so what would be a good bloom fertilizer? Thank you in advance.

scubascrog

scubascrog

it depends on how much room you have, are you training them at all or are you letting it grow straight up? if you arent bending the plant over to make more tops the plant will stretch more in its main cola. and height has nothing to do with yield. its how well and how many tops you have getting light.

RuralFarmer

RuralFarmer

A strain can stretch from hardly any at all, to up to double the height it's at when you initiate flowering. Most will gain about 1.5 times their height. If your using a tent such as I use, I have a 7' max. ceiling so I cannot let any plants get taller than 24" or so, before flowering. With Sativa's I would probably flower them at 6". All depends. You left out lots of variables. :cool:

B

bobs.buds

A strain can stretch from hardly any at all, to up to double the height it's at when you initiate flowering. Most will gain about 1.5 times their height. If your using a tent such as I use, I have a 7' max. ceiling so I cannot let any plants get taller than 24" or so, before flowering. With Sativa's I would probably flower them at 6". All depends. You left out lots of variables. :cool:
Got some sativas and some indicas. Right now they are 2-3 feet tall. Some are quite leggy. I can start to bend them some so they have greater exposure. I am using mixed light, fluorescent indoors. Building a light kit, cobs, but not had time yet. First grow. Want to get max yield. Also what would you suggest for bloom fertilizers?

C73079DE D27D 41E2 901C F65794A25922
93F27BC7 6365 471B 8477 6A46BF488DC7
8B35F284 CF0C 44AE B1E4 642FAFAA2AE0
4588E7B6 A88D 400C ADF6 9E8A4E6F929C
Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Could use a lower table height to compensate for stretch? They look healthy as heck!! From what I know, sativa can stretch 200% at flower so maybe a trellis net? Mine got to about where you are and I trained the crap out of them. Now they are all about 28” y’all with trellis, and boy the amount of top colas are like 30 per plant!

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Got some sativas and some indicas. Right now they are 2-3 feet tall. Some are quite leggy. I can start to bend them some so they have greater exposure. I am using mixed light, fluorescent indoors. Building a light kit, cobs, but not had time yet. First grow. Want to get max yield. Also what would you suggest for bloom fertilizers?
They look good but need to be trained down. If you go and pinch(crush) every tallest shoot then itll help direct it down. If you hit them with a stick it mimics wind gusts but everyones afraid of hitting their plants for some reason.

Ina

Ina

Clean them a little under(lollypoping to put some fresh air in that salad haha),bend them a little, also more light is definitely needed and put them in flower as soon as posssible:)In veg they grow easy without so much light but once started to flower they will stretch too much if the light is not enough,unnecessary stretch.May be now is the time to build that kit:)

B

bobs.buds

Thank you all for the replies. I was thinking of LST or Supercropping for training them now. What would be your opinion? Also have been giving them Canna A and B so far what fertilizer would be good for the flowering stage? Thanks again.

RuralFarmer

RuralFarmer

You got a jungle of healthy looking plants going on. You still have no mentioned how much height you have to work with max, counting lights and you need to keep the lights as close to the tops as possible. If I were you, I would switch to 12/12 flowering schedule immediately. I would also defoliate the lower branches of many leaves to open it up to light and airflow.

As for your ferts, there are many. I use Advanced Nutrients PH perfect trio, Grow, Micro, and Bloom. It's actually made with hydro in mind but works great in any medium. The reason, my well water has to be adjusted and this takes all the work out. Just fertilize according to the schedule on the bottles. If you start using powerful LED lighting, then you reduce the feeding schedule 1/2 strength. I have also used the Foxfarm base trio of ferts, but I find I have bigger yields with Advanced. Many of the growers on here will have their own fertilizer favorites. You can look at my pics, I just harvested today. I have a thread in Introduce Yourself, called Hello Folks. Good luck and feel free to ask away. :cool:

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
If thats the max height you have to work with and that is the space you are going to flower them in, then i would suggest you leave 3-5 nodes on the plant, side shoots are all stretched and developed nicely so you would have a nice canopy much easier to train. You can top down to 6th for example and clear everything below 3rd that would give you 8 nice colas and a much more even canopy. You can do 2-4-6-8 tops if you want. Just an idea.

B

bobs.buds

You got a jungle of healthy looking plants going on. You still have no mentioned how much height you have to work with max, counting lights and you need to keep the lights as close to the tops as possible. If I were you, I would switch to 12/12 flowering schedule immediately. I would also defoliate the lower branches of many leaves to open it up to light and airflow.

As for your ferts, there are many. I use Advanced Nutrients PH perfect trio, Grow, Micro, and Bloom. It's actually made with hydro in mind but works great in any medium. The reason, my well water has to be adjusted and this takes all the work out. Just fertilize according to the schedule on the bottles. If you start using powerful LED lighting, then you reduce the feeding schedule 1/2 strength. I have also used the Foxfarm base trio of ferts, but I find I have bigger yields with Advanced. Many of the growers on here will have their own fertilizer favorites. You can look at my pics, I just harvested today. I have a thread in Introduce Yourself, called Hello Folks. Good luck and feel free to ask away. :cool:
Thanks for the quick replies.

B

bobs.buds

If thats the max height you have to work with and that is the space you are going to flower them in, then i would suggest you leave 3-5 nodes on the plant, side shoots are all stretched and developed nicely so you would have a nice canopy much easier to train. You can top down to 6th for example and clear everything below 3rd that would give you 8 nice colas and a much more even canopy. You can do 2-4-6-8 tops if you want. Just an idea.
Thank you

RR1

RR1

Thank you all for the replies. I was thinking of LST or Supercropping for training them now. What would be your opinion? Also have been giving them Canna A and B so far what fertilizer would be good for the flowering stage? Thanks again.
Super cropping at this stage, how much room do you have? I usually start flower at about a 18-20 in depending on strain.
Some sativas will stretch 300 percent or even more if under lit.
I have a shorter strain called THC Bomb, but one is a monster. Been bending for a week now.
I have good success with floranova series, but all nutes grow well with some knowledge and care. Clean out the underneath a little every week, last big trim 4 weeks into flower.
Good luck and have some fun.
RR1

B

bobs.buds

Super cropping at this stage, how much room do you have? I usually start flower at about a 18-20 in depending on strain.
Some sativas will stretch 300 percent or even more if under lit.
I have a shorter strain called THC Bomb, but one is a monster. Been bending for a week now.
I have good success with floranova series, but all nutes grow well with some knowledge and care. Clean out the underneath a little every week, last big trim 4 weeks into flower.
Good luck and have some fun.
RR1
Thanks RR1. I will follow the advice.

Top Bottom