How to find a MMJ friendly renter?

• Thread starter el_tenador
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
E

el_tenador

Hey Mainers. Anybody have advice on how I could find a med friendly property renter? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

P

paulycali

No need just find the proper rental. It's your right to grow. Make sure you grow in tents so your not damaging the home. Be respectful and kind and of course rent check on time if not before. With that said even if the landlord came in he would see no damage to his home and a respectful kind renter standing in front of him. You can break a room down pretty quick when using grow tents as well if you want them out just in case. Just grow away. Also make sure to look for a property that allows smoking. Cigarette smoking that is. I find ones that allow smoking are much more relaxed and chill. Find one that allows dogs too. Keep a possible sneaky landlord at bay when your not around or not in town. Be safe for sure and i hope you find a great place :)

vaporedout

vaporedout

its not your right to grow.... in cali im pretty sure the home owner needs to be a 215 patient, because if the feds were to come and break up your party, they would go after the landlord too, they dont know if you 2 are in cahoots... my best advice is similar to pauly, maybe the first 2 or 3 properties you find you be straight forward. let them know your reason for MMJ, show them your paperwork, explain how your going to do it. if its hydro assure them there wont be any water damage from potential leaks, maybe show them past grow pics so they can see the legitimacy of it. who knows maybe somebody will feel for you and take a chance on ya. also assure them its just "personal" smoke!!! no dealing to disp. or streets.. make sure they know thier money is "clean"

i had an older landord who thought we were growing, but knew my wife and her illness so he didnt question us further than "are you guys legal?"

i know craigslist rentals usually tell you in the ad "NO prop 215" i have seen a few in the sticks area where they did say "responsible 215 only" so whatever that means.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
its not your right to grow.... in cali im pretty sure the home owner needs to be a 215 patient, because if the feds were to come and break up your party, they would go after the landlord too, they dont know if you 2 are in cahoots... my best advice is similar to pauly, maybe the first 2 or 3 properties you find you be straight forward. let them know your reason for MMJ, show them your paperwork, explain how your going to do it. if its hydro assure them there wont be any water damage from potential leaks, maybe show them past grow pics so they can see the legitimacy of it. who knows maybe somebody will feel for you and take a chance on ya. also assure them its just "personal" smoke!!! no dealing to disp. or streets.. make sure they know thier money is "clean"

i had an older landord who thought we were growing, but knew my wife and her illness so he didnt question us further than "are you guys legal?"

i know craigslist rentals usually tell you in the ad "NO prop 215" i have seen a few in the sticks area where they did say "responsible 215 only" so whatever that means.

I think going around telling landlord after landlord what you are doing may be asking for trouble. Just a thought.

outwest

vaporedout

vaporedout

yeah, i think i was going off personal experience, not all people are compassionate about mmj, so probably best you stay as quite as possible

E

el_tenador

Thanks guys. I guess discretion, and going with my gut, are the best policies here.

nebulius

nebulius

are you looking to grow inside or out?
If inside I would try and find a property with a basement or even an outbuilding but a basement would be better.

If outside tell them you are looking for a place to grow a veggie garden and if that's ok.

For security purposes it might be a good idea to have a small veggi garden as a cover up for landlords and neighbors.

vaporedout

vaporedout

if its outdoor, keep things in pots, for easy moving/hiding

Fasheeryfo

Fasheeryfo

I am in the same situation, currently looking for an apartment in the "city." I am a medical marijuana patient, and I didn't register with the state or a caregiver (the caregiver is what locks you in.) So in the eye of the law, I am allowed 6 plants, 3 flowering. My plan for the landlord was to not even mention the marijuana status. I am going to grow the legal amount even though that is going to be painful, so if anything ever comes up I will be able to validate it. Definitely find a smoking place, or place that is big enough/non land-lord involved that no one would really notice anything. Grow in a tent... and use a carbon filter with an inline fan for the smell, I am also going to go with a deep water culture set up that my buddy is doing, 6 buckets 1 pump, no ebb/flow, no reservoir, just change the water out of the buckets once a week. I saw his set up and it's super clean and easy so I dunno it seemed like it would work for me, and it seemed like it would be very containable. Good luck!

doctordank

doctordank

Hey fasheeryfo, did you end up finding a spot? I am curious to the current rent prices in or around p-land. Im definetly looking for atleast a 1 br place, and I have not found much. Atleast I have not seen any that are decent or do not charge a rediculously high rent!

Anyone else from Maine(P-land area) with any knowledge about rental property....

AssManOG

AssManOG

I see these threads and I think omg what it would be like to live in Cali or colorado.

Here in Florida I feel like I am in a nazi concentration camp. I am so secret and so hidden you would never know I even smoke weed... much less grow.

Just remember to follow the First rule of fight club...and you'll be ok

KitsapGrapeApe

KitsapGrapeApe

I see these threads and I think omg what it would be like to live in Cali or colorado.

Here in Florida I feel like I am in a nazi concentration camp. I am so secret and so hidden you would never know I even smoke weed... much less grow.

Just remember to follow the First rule of fight club...and you'll be ok
dang man i hear florida is like the worst state in the union to get caught growing in, i hope you never have to find out.

i would not tell any prospective landlord i grow, i didn't tell my current landlord and when he insisted on coming to inspect my house a year after i moved in he was pretty pissed but i pay my rent every month so.... i asked him if he would like me to start looking for another place he said no, i look at it this way it takes 3-4 months to evict someone plus court cost, and if the tenant wants to be a dick they don't have to pay rent for that time so it is always in a landlords best interest not do evict someone, sounds kind of f''ed up but whatever, i don't and won't destroy anyones property and any damages i make for my grow are easily fixed upon grow removal. its easy for me to say because i don't care about my 3 credit scores, and i won't rent a house that requires a back ground or credit check, first last deposit cash baby works like a charm.

Fasheeryfo

Fasheeryfo

Hey fasheeryfo, did you end up finding a spot? I am curious to the current rent prices in or around p-land. Im definetly looking for atleast a 1 br place, and I have not found much. Atleast I have not seen any that are decent or do not charge a rediculously high rent!

Anyone else from Maine(P-land area) with any knowledge about rental property....
Most places in portland are rented put by port property management (that's who I'm currently renting from) they seem to own everything there and charge a lot for tiny places and have specific rental prequalifications. Such as 2 years previous land lord references and you have to have a gross income of 2.5x the rental price... I didn't meet these qualifications so I'm actually subletting my place from a friend who moved in with their boyfriend and pay her and they don't know I'm there... so I'm not growing at this location I'm doing it about 30 mins. north which is a pain in the ass. Like I said before I would look in south portland, westbrook, freeport, Windham, cape elizabeth (expensive as fuck)
I looked for a long time on craigslist and couldn't find anything I really liked that's why I tended up taking my friends and because it helped her out.

surrealife

surrealife

hi people.
shit, maine is fkn great.
a plant on my land when i bought it
got 1st seeds from realtor
no one cares that i'm a patient
just another grower.....fine by me,

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

I got around an intrusive landlord by growing outdoors... in 5-gal buckets hung in the top of the big oak tree in the front yard. Three out o six actually yielded about 1.5 ounces of pretty bad smoke. I guess they got battered around by the wind, probably dried out more than once, and had pretty lousy light due to the canopy of oak leaves. But they were invisible from the ground and probably from the air as well.
They were a bitch to hang in the middle of the night, and harvest wasn't a picnic either.
I dried out the buds on top of aluminum foil on a lamp, and a couple in the microwave.
I have learned a lot since '94.

HookedonPonics

HookedonPonics

To be honest I wouldn't tell your landlord, even in Cali it's hard to find ppl who will willingly let you because of other ppl who trash houses, also the Feds can't charge the landlord if they have no proof they knew. Find a landlord that you can tell is laid back and a house that has a nice basement and isn't too close to other houses. Live there a month before you set up to get the feel for the place. If everything feels good, setup and just be discrete. Also, if you make your setup to where it doesn't destroy anything and is easily taken down, most landlords put in there lease that they need to tell you a month or so in advance before they want to come in. And in my years of growing I've never had trouble with a landlord who is paid early every month and doesn't get complaints from neighbors. Keep it low key like your in a non-med state, respect the house like it was your own, don't tell anyone, pay your bills on time and you'll be just fine. Also take your time looking for a spot, you'll know when you find the one..

HookedonPonics

HookedonPonics

How did I not notice this thread was almost 6 months old...

Top Bottom