How To Grow Autoflowering Strains

• Thread starter Seraphim19
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
EventHorizan

EventHorizan

I know this thread is a few months old but I want to keep it going as I have 3 sweet skunk auto's that just broke the surface of my lil rockwool cube. From what I gather i should just run them 24 hrs under my t5 till week 4 and move them under my 600 mh for 20-4 and then change over to my hps when I switch the nutes to flower. I got these lil girls in a rockwool cubes that i rinsed and soaked in ph5.8 water. How long should i go before giving them any water? I have never used rockwool. I will be transferring 1 into a 5 gallon grow farm hydroponic drip dwc bucket and 2 in to coco... How long should I wait to transfer them? And lastly I can use the same flora bloom,micro,grow in coco as I use in my hydrofarm right? Thanks for any advice.

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

Just keep the wool damp. Think damp soil. I pretty much go strait into the dwc bucket as soon as I put in rockwool. I dont run 20/4, stresses some strains. The last 2 actually grew under 16 hrs of light. Saves on heat and electricity.

mothhhawk

mothhhawk

Love this thread. Great info.
Just one question... when flushing autos outdoors in 5 gallon pots is it the same method as flushing indoor?
I use Bio Bizz organic light mix soil with bio bizz nutes - bio bloom, top max and fish mix so im thinkng 10 day flush.
Do i fill them up, so its real wet, then slowly pour the remaing 10-12 gallons through and watch it drain away?
Do i do this everyday of the final 10 days?
Im coming closr to flushing soon i reckon and still not entirely sure what to do.

Thanks in advance!
Mothhawk.

CharmCity915

CharmCity915

Love this thread. Great info.
Just one question... when flushing autos outdoors in 5 gallon pots is it the same method as flushing indoor?
I use Bio Bizz organic light mix soil with bio bizz nutes - bio bloom, top max and fish mix so im thinkng 10 day flush.
Do i fill them up, so its real wet, then slowly pour the remaing 10-12 gallons through and watch it drain away?
Do i do this everyday of the final 10 days?
Im coming closr to flushing soon i reckon and still not entirely sure what to do.

Thanks in advance!
Mothhawk.
I've always been told you wanna run a gallon of water per gallon of dirt ×2. I do it a week before harvest until the last day or so. Where the plant has sucked up all the water and it has as much sugar in her arms as possible. I'm no expert but this works for me

Civicsi06

Civicsi06

Hey everyone! I am about to start my first auto flower grow very soon and this is what I will be using:

Auto Flower Seed
Fox Farms Happy Frog Soil
Fox Farms Ocean Forest Soil
8 Quart bag of Perlite
3 Gallon soft sided pot
*Maxicrop Liquid Seaweed Extract
*Botanicare Cal mag Plus
*Canna cannazym
*General Hydroponics Flora Nova Grow and Bloom

I am wondering if I should start using the seaweed extract and cannazym the first week when watering and if not, then when should I start using them if at all? I am completely new to al of this so all help would be appreciated!

B

Beanhunter

I was wondering if its possible to get a pound off an auto plant using LEDs or a HP's , i would like to use led if possible any info or suggestion on a strain and led would be awesome thankyou , sorry if this has been asked a million times already :/

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

I was wondering if its possible to get a pound off an auto plant using LEDs or a HP's , i would like to use led if possible any info or suggestion on a strain and led would be awesome thankyou , sorry if this has been asked a million times already :/
pound off of 1 auto plant? I think you prob should keep looking for a job..

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Great answer buddy obviously u don't know shit so u leave a stupid uninformative answer , next time don't bother
Ive never grown a auto. But getting a pound off of 1 auto is a dream. That is why i made the comment. So that you did not find it as funny as i did... My apologies...
While im at it, i need to apoligise for lying too...
I have grown an auto..
Materfact i have grown several.
One of them which may break a record for the longest auto to ever grow as in its been 93 days since it was born... It is a genetical deformed confused auto and that makes it cool.. which is what autos tech are,,, novelty items...
You cant control how long they grow, its a race from the ninute they are born...
Can we start over, im actually a decent fellow.. with a goofy sense of humor...
I think i will grow on you as time goes on...
So... friends lol?
Here is some pics of autos and my crazy auto
Kray Kray... Its well known here at thcfarmer lol..
thats kray kray wrapped around the t5...
She got 6 feet tall and i supercropped her down to 4 foot..
so now she is 4 foot tall and over 4 foot wide...
crazy eh?

WIN 20170323 23 36 23 Pro
WIN 20170325 23 21 00 Pro
WIN 20170325 23 21 45 Pro
EventHorizan

EventHorizan

personally i like photos.. They have better taste, smell, and mostly imo bag appeal.. As autos dont look as good imo as photos when it comes to bag appeal.. Maybe there is some that i havent had that might make me consider but at the moment, phots for the win,,,
here is some photos i got going..
2 rdwc systems.. 1 is 6 buckets and the other one is 4...
And my auto is in the middle..
Sour Diesel x Purple Urkle and Girl Scout Cookies x Purple Urkle on both sides of the auto under 1k hps and 600 hps

20161129 221120
20161119 203012
WIN 20170325 23 21 42 Pro
WIN 20170325 23 21 45 Pro
WIN 20170325 23 21 51 Pro
gwheels

gwheels

How big a pot would you use for a larger auto? I have a cheese auto and a couple of amnesia. The amnesia grew 4 feet before it died (too late in the year).
I have some 7 gallon fabric pots and I was thinking of using 5 gallons of soil/perlite mix for the deck plants this year. Do you think that is too big ?
I have only ever done then in 3 gallon fabric pots before. The roots filled the container every time.

Broken

Broken

How big a pot would you use for a larger auto? I have a cheese auto and a couple of amnesia. The amnesia grew 4 feet before it died (too late in the year).
I have some 7 gallon fabric pots and I was thinking of using 5 gallons of soil/perlite mix for the deck plants this year. Do you think that is too big ?
I have only ever done then in 3 gallon fabric pots before. The roots filled the container every time.

I'm finishing up a grow of Auto's indoors and moat were in 3-3 1/2 gl pots and 1 was in a 5 gallon and it develop the least. But it was also the only 1 in a cloth pot. There were other variables as well so who knows. I did learn that auto's are to damn unpredictable. I have 9 week plants finishing at up to 15 weeks before really being ready for harvest. I have 2 that are a different strain that would not flower until I switched them to 12/12 and they have been a fight the whole time. Sorry I am not much help

D

dudedeedz

Always excited reading posts like this each time I come across them because they have one thing or more to add to the life and experience of a grower. Thanks a bunch

Fuzzy_Buzzy

Fuzzy_Buzzy

Impossible with an auto, to yield a dry pound with ONE plant. There won't be any green leaves left after 120 days, all will have yellowed and died. So no more bud stacking at all, without leaves.

Usually I get 60 to 100 dry grams per plant. The Strain (genetics), grow conditions and experience of the grower (notices deficiencies and problems and can resolve them FAST) all matter and factor in, regarding yield AND potency.

Stonerbudz

Stonerbudz

Hey guys, I get asked a lot about autos and how to treat them so I put together a little booklet on how to grow them. Since the accurate info thread is so long now it can be hard to find what you are looking for so I though I would make it easy for you and just post the booklet here so you will have all the info in one place to read at your leisure.

Chapters
  1. Introduction

2. Preparation

3. Feeding Procedures

4. Harvesting

5. Drying and Curing

6. Troubleshooting

7. Reference
Introduction

This book is meant as a quick reference guide for growers of photoperiod plants who want to try auto-flowering plants. By this I mean that I am assuming that you have a grow space, lighting, air circulation, carbon filter etc.. ready to go and set up on a timer system.

Autos vs Photos
There are many pro's and con's to both varieties but for this short guide I will just be going through the differences in genetics and requirements.

Genetics
Photoperiod plants require a drop in the available light hours from 18 to 12, in order for them to begin flowering and producing buds.

Autoflowering plants do not need this change, they will show sex at around 21 days old and then continue on to full maturity even under 24hrs of light.

There are three types of cannabis plant
Indica
Sativa
Ruderalis

Autoflowering plants contain the ruderalis gene which dictates flowering by age rather than light exposure
This presents a number of possibilities as it does away with the need for a veg room. I believe these possibilities are the main reason that autoflowering plants have become so popular. This potential for perpetual grows and a constant supply has changed the world of marijuana forever.

Requirements
Autos require different treatment to photos in order to get the best out of them.

Here are the two key differences:
Photos require a 12/12 light cycle to flower. Autos do best under a 20/4 light cycle for the whole life of the plant

Photos can take stronger nutrients. When using nutrients on autos always use half the recommended dose. You can always play with this as some stains can take more nutrients than others.

Preparation
So you have your equipment, your grow room is all ready and you are itching to start growing your own Autoflowering cannabis. There is still a bit of preparation to do before we can start growing though. So lets get started!

Soil Preparation
Preparing your soil in advance is the easiest way to avoid problems. By taking the time to get it right now you can save a lot of head aches down the line.

To buy or to make?
You can get good soils for autoflowering cannabis from all good hydro shops.
I would recommend a light mix like Plagron light mix.

Personally I don't like going into hydro shops so I mix my own soil which I get from the local garden centre. If you are going to mix your own soil then first you will need everything on the following list

Soil Ingredients
ph spike
fish blood and bone
egg shells (washed, dried and powdered)
bat guano
perlite
vermiculite
multipurpose compost(low nutrients, not miracle grow!)

Everything on this list is readily available at good garden centres except bat guano. This is easy enough to get on Amazon or Ebay

Mix
60% Multipurpose compost
20% Perlite
20% Vermiculite
this will be your base mix

To this you will need to add:
1 tablespoon of bat guano per 8 litres
1 tablespoon of fish blood and bone per 8 litres
2 powdered egg shells per 8 litres

Now wet the soil and test the ph with your soil ph spike, this will give you an indication of the ph but not a proper reading

Getting the ph right
Now you have your soil mix you want to let it sit for at least a day or 2 for the ph to stabilise then test it and make sure it is in the 6.5-6.8 ph range. If it is a little over I.e between 6.8-7 then leave it, if not then you will need to amend your soil to the right ph. Use dolomite/garden lime to raise the ph and sulphur pellets to lower it.

Potting up
You will want to fill your pots and wet them about a week before you are going to plant anything. This way you can check the soil ph again before you plant to ensure it is stable and in the correct range.

Make sure you use a minimum of an 8 litre pot. For most autos grown indoors 10-12 litres is the ideal pot size. For super autos you will need at least a 15 litre pot.

Germination
Now you have everything ready, you have the hardest choice. What strain to grow?
Once you have figured this out you will need to germinate the seed and plant it.
There are a few ways of doing this and I have given you two options below.

Option 1 - Root Riot Cubes

• put the seed into a root riot cube and keep moist and warm until the seed sprouts from the cube and roots become visible on the outside of the cube.

• Plant the cube directly into the plants final home
Option 2 – Paper Towel Method

• Place a folded paper towel into a plastic container(you want about four layers of paper towel on the top and bottom)

• Wet the paper towel

• Place the seed on top of the wet paper towel

• Cover with another folded paper towel

• Ensure there is sufficient water(paper towels should be very wet, but not flooded)

• Place somewhere warm to germinate

• Once germinated transplant to its final home
Preparation is over and its time to see the plants grow!

Feeding Procedures
In this section I will lay out a guide for feeding your plants and avoiding issues.

General Principals
When feeding your plants you will need to ensure that

• Your water is ready
  • The plant is healthy(if the plant is not healthy go to troubleshooting section)
  • The plants have the correct environment i.e. soil ph is between 6.5 and 6.8(see troubleshooting section for ph correction)
  • Nutrients are correct strength
  • PH of feed is adjusted according to soil PH
  • Adequate water is held by the soil
Getting Your Water Ready

All the water you use to feed your plants should be allowed to sit for at least 12hrs before use. Tap water comes loaded with chlorine and this evaporates while the water sits and makes it better for your plants.

If you want to see explosive growth then you will also need to bubble your water. To do this just use an aquarium air pump and air stone. You place the stone in the water and allow bubbles to pas through it. The water should be bubbled for at least 12 hrs.

By bubbling the water you allow oxygen to be dissolved in the water which is highly beneficial for the roots.

Plant Health Check

Before you feed your plant you need to check and see if it is healthy. If you see any of the following signs then go to the troubleshooting section.
  • Pale or discoloured leaves

• Spots on leaves

• Curling leaves

• Insects or pests

• Sour smell from the soil

Checking Soil
Before making up your feed you will need to test the soil ph. To ensure you get an accurate reading follow these steps:

1. Wet the soil if it is completely dry.

2. If you are using a cheap ph spike then scrub the probe with a scouring pad, otherwise you will get false readings.

3. Spike soil and let the reading stabilise for about 3 – 5 mins
If your soil is not in the 6 – 7 range then go to troubleshooting.

Mixing the Feed

Now you have all the info you need to mix your feed.

Getting this right is crucial to a successful grow. Too weak and you will not get the full potential from the plant, too strong and you can damage or even kill your plant, and if your ph is off then it can block the absorption of nutrients completely

To make sure you have the correct mix I have put a feeding chart at the back of this book for reference.

Once you have added all the nutrients to your feed you will need to test the ph of your feed and adjust it to meet the needs of your plant.

If your soil is in the correct ph range then always water at PH 6.5

PH Adjustments

For minor corrections in soil ph the feed can be used.

To explain this lets say your soil ph is 6.2 and you want it at 6.5

To correct it you take the difference of what the soil ph is and what you want it to be. In this case 0.3, then double it( 0.6 ) and add it to the soil ph ( 6.2 ) and you get the ph you need to water at to correct the imbalance (6.8)

So its

Find the difference

Required Soil ph – Actual Soil ph = Difference
  1. - 6.2 = 0.3
Then

Difference x 2 + Soil ph = Feed ph

(0.3 x 2) + 6.2 = 6.8

0.6 + 6.2 = 6.8

By using this formula you can correct low ph problems. For high ph problems instead of adding the (difference x 2) subtract it.

Flushing Salts
When your plants use the nutrients you are feeding them there is salt created as a by-product. This salt can build up and become toxic. To avoid this you should always make more feed than you need.

The reason for this is that you need to allow the feed to flow through the soil and wash away the salts that can build up.

Adequate Saturation
It is very important to water slowly!
By feeding slowly you allow the soil time to absorb the liquid.
When your soil is dry it will allow liquid to run right through the pot with very little being absorbed by the soil. If you water slowly then the liquid will be absorbed by the soil and have a chance to wash away any salts that may be present in the soil.

When slow watering NEVER re-use the run off water as this will contain the salts.

Harvesting

When to Harvest

The easiest way to know when to harvest an auto-flowering plant is to wait until the fan leaves have yellowed and died, at this point the plant is at its peak and its time to harvest.

If you have a jewelers loupe or a microscope then you can have a look at the trichomes and see if they are ready. You can tell by their colour if they are ready. I have put a trichomes reference chart at the back of this book. I like to harvest at around 20% amber

If they are ready now all you need to do is trim away all the leaves and start drying the plant

Drying and Curing

Drying
The simple way to dry your bud is the paper bag method.

• For this you need to get some brown paper bags.

• Place your buds into the paper bags and fold the top over to seal it.

• Place somewhere with good air circulation and allow to dry until the stems snap when bent
Curing

• Take your dry buds and your small humidity meter and place them into an airtight container

• open/burp the container three times a day for 15 mins each time. Continue doing this until your relative humidity reaches 67%

• Once 67% RH is reached burp once a month
Troubleshooting

PH and Deficiencies

9 times out of 10 the problem indoor growers have is a bad soil ph. The bad ph causes a lockout of nutrients and this shows itself as nutrient deficiency in the plant.

If you have a bad soil ph it is important to correct it as soon as possible.

To raise soil ph use dolomite or garden lime

To lower soil ph use sulphur pellets

There is a ph nutrient availability chart in the reference section. I have also included a deficiency identification chart so you can diagnose and correct any deficiency you may have.

The most common nutrient problems are

• Nitrogen deficiency – caused by lack of food or bad ph – cure – correct the ph / give stronger feed

• Calcium/magnesium deficiency – caused by lack of nutrients or ph lockout – cure – correct ph / feed molasses / add cal/mag liquid feed
Pests
Some of the pests you get in a grow room can be devastating. Things like spider mites and thrips can destroy a whole crop if left unchecked.

For these pests I recommend you use a pesticide that is designed to kill thrips and spidermites as these ones will usually kill everything else too.

DO NOT SPRAY PESTICIDE ON BUDS, YOU WILL MAKE THEM POISONUS

If you have budding plants and want to get rid of the pests with no risk to your bud them you can use ladybugs/ladybirds. They can be ordered from garden centres or online. Once released into your grow room they will eat all of your bugs and leave the plants untouched.

I have included pictures of the common bugs in the reference section.

So there you have it a quick guide to Autos, I hope this book helps you produce some winning plants

Seraphim

REFERENCE

View attachment 544441

View attachment 544443

View attachment 544444

View attachment 544452

Thrips
View attachment 544448

View attachment 544449
Thank you for providing all this information about how to grow autoflowers for those who don’t know anything or much about autoflowers well here is exact words that I would have said also to get it out there. If anyone is in need of some top soil let me know might have few bags

E9noxis

E9noxis

I'm probably doing it the wrong way, but the path is set for my autoflowers. I willing to see what they can do.

I will be using buildasoil take n bake living soil outdoors in a greenhouse. None of this fits your recommended approach.

Yes. There will be a grow diary.

Good luck to the autoflowering strains of Cream, Devil XXL, Mandarine and DeeLite. I hoping for the best results with how I'm doing this

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

I have been running autos 10 years+ and I disagree with your light schedule, most folk run there autos 18/6 but I run mine 16/8 I find the extra rest makes them much happier, like all plants they need a period of darkness to cool down and stretch out, no real difference in giveing 2 extra hours of rest, and if you run them u know how much they hate stress!!! The extra rest makes them less stressed, this is my opinion only, but my plants pretty much speak for themselfs. Some people may disagree and run 18/6 but anything more than that your stressing your autos unnecessarily in my opinion.

Top Bottom