How to kill your thrips!

• Thread starter true grit
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

luke864

hello a real effective way is lay half of inch of horticultural sand and it MUST BE HORTICULTURAL SAND on top of your medium and this works by the thrips coming up from your medium because thats where they come from and what they do is cut themself to pieces you wipe out a generation of thrips, its tried and tested and it works very well

hope this was helpful

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

nice thanks TG! I just ran out of conserve (I gave my last to a friend) and I think I am seeing thrip damage. I have not seen flyers yet so I am hoping I can wax em early. we will see /scampers off to the home depot...

symbiote420

symbiote420

Yeah I've spotted a couple of those little fockers on my new veggies. I bring em in every year it seems, it's final I need another spot to dry my outdoor shit.
Helping my people out has only left me with only a bottle of Neem oil and that don't really fuk with thrips much and I havn't find any D.E. around lately at my regular stores Imma give this a shot and grab a bottle tomorrow.

Bamboo

Bamboo

The key to defeating the insects is integrated pest management (IPM). Don't try and find the strongest most powerful product on the block, because unless you are using that product as a part of an IPM program, you are wasting your money, and aimlessly polluting the environment with toxins. The key here is alternating on a regular schedule. Look at the life cycle of the insect that you are trying to eradicate, in the case of spider mites. I believe they have a three to four day life cycle between hatching and laying eggs. The smart way to eradicate mites would be to alternate between different pesticides on a 10 day schedule.

Day 1 - Pesticide A
Day 3/4 - Pesticide B
Day 7 - Pesticide C or Back to Pesticide A
Day 10 - Pesticide A if you used C, or back to B if you used A.

The key here is that by repeating attacks with different pesticides, even if you miss a couple due to resistance, the likelihood of any individual mite being resistant to more than one pesticide is unlikely, and the by spraying in a consistent manner, you are killing all the adults and newly hatched eggs before they can continue to lay more eggs.

I purposely left out the pesticides that I use because the last thing we need is everyone running the same formula, but the most important aspect of this is the schedule, and the rotation of pesticide. I have had far better success using this method with mild organic pesticides, than I have ever had using stronger synthetics. Again, use whatever you feel appropriate, or whatever is convenient, the key is rotation and rhythm.

So for Thrips, I would recommend doing some research into what their life cycles look like, how often they lay eggs, and how long it takes for their eggs to hatch. Then make sure that the interval of your rhythm is the same as the interval between eggs being laid and eggs hatching. Be sure to stretch your interval out for at least three times the length of the interval between the hatching and laying of the eggs and you'll be thrip free in no time, without the need for continual preventative sprayings.

Peace,
Bamboo

P.S. Anytime you use pesticides of any sorts, I highly recommend going through an re-inoculating your plants micro life by spraying them with a compost tea.

Surfr

Surfr

Just cruisin....
Supporter
Anyone know how far into flower this stuff is safe to use? I noticed a couple thrips tonight and I need to get rid of them ASAP. Thanks!!

Surfr

PDX420Grower

PDX420Grower

Hows it used? Spray down the plant and wait a few days and repeat? Spray the soil or not?

audius

audius

same here ,can i use it in hydro or just soil only,i think i got them lil bastards. im going into 4 week in flower, what can i do?

O

Organicyumyum

And here is the answer and I wanted to post this because I found that they now have it (or have and I was blind) at Homer Depot!! $15.95 and it WILL work.

Monterey Spinosad Organic Garden Insect Spray

It will say Monterey Organic Garden Spray, OMRI cert, "contains Spinosad"....

If you have thrips, this will work.

First do a foliar application on all plants. This will kill them in about a day. Do another application in about 2 days this will kill the larvae, then in another 2-3 for remaining eggs. I usually just do 1-2 and get the results desired. Had thrips twice, killed em twice in a day each time....and those that know how bad a real thrip attack can be in a day to two days time know why having this on hand can do wonder!!!

If you would like to buy the concentrate and dilute- you will get much more for the money but the concentrate is only available online... cheapest is here at $23/quart..

http://www.planetnatural.com/site/image.html?sku=monterey-garden-insect

cheers and kill your thrips so your plants can grow all healthy like.

:fighting0040:

you can also use beneficial nematodes. a million or 2 of those will get rid of an infestation in a 10 x 10 no problem. guaranteed to be 100% organic this way.

R

Ratpoison77

YO! I just might have come down a give ya a smooch thanks true grit
Heading to link now

509growguy

Hey I'm a head grower on a larger tier 3 recreational grow and have done a lot of research on this product because I love using it, unfortunately it is not on our approved list nor is it in Oregon or Colorado and will not be allowed by any other state legalizing. Part of this is due to dow the mother company not wanting to be a part of the industry but also studies have shown that this product is safe when invested and is used on food crop storage and water treatment, but when smoked and heated it has been found to cause cancer. Also to the outdoor California growers this product is lethal to the California quail and a specific type of honey bee that I forget the name of, just some things I learned while researching this product.

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

Hey I'm a head grower on a larger tier 3 recreational grow and have done a lot of research on this product because I love using it, unfortunately it is not on our approved list nor is it in Oregon or Colorado and will not be allowed by any other state legalizing. Part of this is due to dow the mother company not wanting to be a part of the industry but also studies have shown that this product is safe when invested and is used on food crop storage and water treatment, but when smoked and heated it has been found to cause cancer. Also to the outdoor California growers this product is lethal to the California quail and a specific type of honey bee that I forget the name of, just some things I learned while researching this product.

the only reason it's not allowed is because DOW will never let any of their products be use-compliant to cannabis. They are one of the largest opposers of legalization in the country, and they will never change their labels to allow use on our crop. The petroleum distillate the spino is suspended in is carcinogenic but is also found in many other products (none that I have seen approved for use, however.)

it was mentioned earlier, but the most effective treatment for thrips is to apply nematodes in the soil. They take about a month to really work, but all of the sudden your thrips disappear, and with regular applications you'll never see thrips again. I still maintain an oil-based spray regimen to make sure the plant isn't desirable as a host to new insects, but the nematodes do all the heavy work for the thrips.

KaliHydro619

KaliHydro619

And here is the answer and I wanted to post this because I found that they now have it (or have and I was blind) at Homer Depot!! $15.95 and it WILL work.

Monterey Spinosad Organic Garden Insect Spray

It will say Monterey Organic Garden Spray, OMRI cert, "contains Spinosad"....

If you have thrips, this will work.

First do a foliar application on all plants. This will kill them in about a day. Do another application in about 2 days this will kill the larvae, then in another 2-3 for remaining eggs. I usually just do 1-2 and get the results desired. Had thrips twice, killed em twice in a day each time....and those that know how bad a real thrip attack can be in a day to two days time know why having this on hand can do wonder!!!

If you would like to buy the concentrate and dilute- you will get much more for the money but the concentrate is only available online... cheapest is here at $23/quart..

http://www.planetnatural.com/site/image.html?sku=monterey-garden-insect

cheers and kill your thrips so your plants can grow all healthy like.

:fighting0040:
Thank you

DOGBUDS

DOGBUDS

Waking the post up if possible... Hey True, can I use this product 4 weeks into flower? Found one thrip after an almost tweak-like search of my plants. Thank you!

Izzyi2d

Izzyi2d

Is there an amount of time I have to wait after using product to flip to bloom?... I'm in veg about to flip seen this problem and want to know how long I should wait... Thanks

katelyn

katelyn

Just read this post on thrips. From experience do you know if this is an early stage thrip? Just been using neem oil extract and seems to wipe this stage out

IMG 20160905 085400047

Latest posts

Top Bottom