How To Organically Clean A Room After Powdery Mildew Outbreak?

• Thread starter Perception
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Perception

Perception

Just finished a grow where I battled Powdery Mildew. Looking for advice on cleaning the (now empty) room before next grow.

The basement room is carpeted, and I have an 8'x8' piece of linoleum on the floor around my 3'x3' grow tent. Tent is not sealed - just has hanging reflective material. I don't have illusions of totally eradicating all PM spores - just want to get it as good as I can, and I'd like to keep the cleaning procedure as organic as possible.

I was thinking about the following, but would love some opinions from others:

-> Spray down everything besides carpet with Vinegar/H20 mixture (maybe isopropyl?)
-> Vacuum well
-> Mist carpet with dilute anti-fungal herbal blend
-> Spray same mist in to intake fan ducting for room with fans running
-> Clean all fans in the room

Thoughts?

Perception

Perception

Great Article - especially good info on Hydrogen Peroxide. Maybe I'll do the Clorox wipes on walls & components (lights, mylar, fans, etc), and then do vinegar or H202 on fabrics & carpet in the room.

I like the idea of cleaning every two weeks also. Hadn't considered that. (I've been growing for 6 months now)

Perception

Perception

Look into sulphur candles.

Might be a good option for you .
Best of luck .
Peace

Will the Sulphur candles make my whole house smell like sulphur? Or does it dissipate quickly? Also, there is carpet in this room. Hoping it wouldn't get the smell stuck in carpet. This is just a small hobby grow, so the room was never set up to be a dedicated green room.

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
Will the Sulphur candles make my whole house smell like sulphur? Or does it dissipate quickly? Also, there is carpet in this room. Hoping it wouldn't get the smell stuck in carpet. This is just a small hobby grow, so the room was never set up to be a dedicated green room.
I have never used one. But I have a friend who has. Yes they're going to stink your whole house up for the day. But that carpet in your grow room is holding the powdery mildew spores. You going to need to sanitize it in order to completely eliminate the problem. Best of luck. Peace

Perception

Perception

Thanks ShroomKing. Agreed on the carpet.

Anyone else have experience doing sulfur bombs/candles in a room of a residential house?

JSmokes420

JSmokes420

Thanks ShroomKing. Agreed on the carpet.

Anyone else have experience doing sulfur bombs/candles in a room of a residential house?

Smell sticks around for a bit honestly....

Want a easy way to make sure everything is dead? Hook up a ozone generator and fill the room. Just make sure you vent it before you go back in.

Also spraying h202 might be a good option

Freshone

Freshone

Bleach in mild solution with soapy water is what I use,shroom king is right on the money about that carpet,id shampoo it too.wipe down everything,after a day it dissipates and you have a nice sterile room.
Also if your environmental is prone to pm seek out resistant cultivars,look at the norcal breeders like golden lion or CSI here at the farm.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Bleach in mild solution with soapy water is what I use,shroom king is right on the money about that carpet,id shampoo it too.wipe down everything,after a day it dissipates and you have a nice sterile room.
Also if your environmental is prone to pm seek out resistant cultivars,look at the norcal breeders like golden lion or CSI here at the farm.
I like bleach...then just rinse it and wipe it all down. Uvc kills it for sure

Homesteader

Homesteader

I am not a remediator or inspector of mold but the national organization of them says this. "BLEACH DOES NOT KILL MOLD!"
I also don't know if PM acts the same as the black molds that they are talking about.

"A well-known expert in our area, when interviewed on a local New Orleans radio station, recently said, "When you have a mold problem, simply wash down the affected area with diluted bleach." We have seen FEMA handing out gallons of Clorox to flood-victims. Lowe'sand Home Depot stock up pallets of the stuff whenever the impending doom of a threatening hurricane is close. This is one of the most widely publicized "urban legends". Bleach is a powerful oxidizer and can, in many instances, sanitize surfaces of certain types of bacteria but when you are faced with a wall covered in mold, bleach is NOT the product to use.

Eyebrows raise in disbelief every time I say the phrase "bleach doesn't kill mold." Some look at me as if I'm speaking another language and they are right. I am speaking the TRUTH. Bleach (active ingredient is Sodium Hypochlorite) is very effective in removing the discoloration but may leave the microflora that will enable the mold to return in exactly the same spot when conditions are right. So, "how do you know this," I'm asked.
"

Last edited:
JSmokes420

JSmokes420

What about ammonia? That should kill mold. And like bleach the smell fades after a while

NightsWatch

NightsWatch

I wonder how much UV would be needed to render that complete room sterile and how long it would take to kill it all ?? where a simple 3 - 4 dollar fix as in bleach would do the job or green clorox

Perception

Perception

Well, I've started with a 1:1 Vinegar/H20 mixture. Wiping down EVERY solid surface. Just not ready to start bleach bombing the room. My goal is to knock back the PM in the room, although I don't believe I can fully get rid of it. I'm hoping to control the environment better, and aide the plants in staying healthy to promote their own defenses.

The girlfriend is an aspiring herbalist. We are looking in to what essential oils might help via a diffuser. Additionally, we were thinking about an anti-fungal herbal spray for the carpet.

NightsWatch

NightsWatch

Well, I've started with a 1:1 Vinegar/H20 mixture. Wiping down EVERY solid surface. Just not ready to start bleach bombing the room. My goal is to knock back the PM in the room, although I don't believe I can fully get rid of it. I'm hoping to control the environment better, and aide the plants in staying healthy to promote their own defenses.

The girlfriend is an aspiring herbalist. We are looking in to what essential oils might help via a diffuser. Additionally, we were thinking about an anti-fungal herbal spray for the carpet.
but your going the wrong way if your thinking your going to kill germinated spores

You want alkaline

Perception

Perception

but your going the wrong way if your thinking your going to kill germinated spores

You want alkaline

I thought that anything outside of the fungus's living parameters (in regards to PH) would kill it. Whether it be highly acidic, or highly alkaline. Is this incorrect?

Perception

Perception

Top Bottom