How To Properly Root And Veg In The Uc

• Thread starter desertsquirrel
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
desertsquirrel

desertsquirrel

DS... I was reading posts and came across your car accident..YIKES. I had two plates and 13 screws inserted for a spiral fracture of my Tib/Fib June 30th, 2011. I recently came down with an internal infection and after taking penicillian for a week plus the infection didn't clear and they had to put me in emergency surgery and remove the plates and screws. I've got to tell you, removing these damn plates and screws was one of the best things that has ever happened. IF they are bothering you at all, find out an activity or two that these plates inhibit you from doing and tell your doctor, that's the easiest way to get them out. When I went for my yearly I told the doc I wanted them out and he told me unless there was a reason he couldn't do it...Insurance I guess? Anyway I have my leg back. Hopefully the metal isn't causing any problems. Question. I read your section on Pruning, perhaps I missed something but it's hard to know with the 100's of people replying to your posts. I wish this site would allow me to cut everyone out but your posts....anyway...it seems you don't prune much at all. That bucket looked nearly empty for all the plants you have. We literally tear the plant to shreds and leave only the big stalks....it's get SO BUSHY in UC and we thought that doing that would help alleviate all the BS fluff, however admittedly we're rookies. Would you say you only take off say less than 10% in normal circumstances? We're taking off 30-50%, is that just dead wrong?

EDIT: I meant 2010... i had them inserted... taking out 11-11-11, went under at 11:11, weird...but true.

I am healing very well thanks a lot for asking. Im sorry to hear about your accident as well.

around 10% per prune. ISA guidelines are to never remove more then 25% at one time.

P

Ph0n3

How much of the leaks do you attribute to operator error (assembly)?

Hmmm... well a little, but after owning 1 for 2 full years without problems buying 2 more this February and having 3 people put the 2 new ones together I felt confident that we had put them together correctly.

Look if after reading the instructions, following the instructions, using 3 people and making sure plenty of lube so not to force the PVC pipes into the buckets, i'm not sure how much user error you might think we would have.

I am also not to impressed with the fact that there can be user error, when all your doing is basically sliding a circle into another circle, my son has a toy like that and he's not even 1.

Even at 50% user error we are still looking at atleast 6 buckets that were leaking.

How about Manufacturer Error? Bad runs with the plastic molds??

EDIT - UCHQ Posted about their 8 gallon bucket defects. And it was true exactly what I have been complaining about for the past couple of months, their plastics mfg proccess was errored, NOT USER error. You can check their post about it and I have been happy with customer service, just not the product.... UCHQ should automatically send out buckets to all the people that bought their defective units from Feb-June 2011, that of course would be the stand up thing to do, but per their post it looks like they want $10 per bucket for that, too bad.

P

phup

Even the best of companies sometimes have bad runs with their products and it is definitely important to correct and address thpse issue immediately. In the interest of keeping one's company from suffering a huge financial loss it might be a good idea to charge a negligible amount to the effected parties to help reduce the amount of their loss. CC was looking to charge $10 a replacement for buckets that were manufactured during that time, not necessarily even leaking yet. That sounds proactive me. Personally, I don't think a $10 replacement cost on buckets is really a big deal...that puts you out a whooping 60$ (isn't that the cost of an 1/8th in Cali?), which if you are running 3 UC systems even reasonably well, shouldn't be too hard to come up with.

P

Ph0n3

In the interest of keeping one's company from suffering a huge financial loss it might be a good idea to charge a negligible amount to the effected parties to help reduce the amount of their loss.

How about my huge financial loss??

CC was looking to charge $10 a replacement for buckets that were manufactured during that time, not necessarily even leaking yet. That sounds proactive me. Personally, I don't think a $10 replacement cost on buckets is really a big deal...that puts you out a whooping 60$ (isn't that the cost of an 1/8th in Cali?), which if you are running 3 UC systems even reasonably well, shouldn't be too hard to come up with.

After loosing the last 3 crops to leaky buckets in the middle of flower, using 2 12xls would equal $240, a little more than an 1/8th of weed.

desertsquirrel

desertsquirrel

i dont understand. If your buckets leaked why didn't you do anything about it before you lost your crops?

when something of ours breaks daniel has us the replacement the next day.

Seems like your looking to blame someone else for your loss.

Also, why is this crap in my thread?

P

Ph0n3

i dont understand. If your buckets leaked why didn't you do anything about it before you lost your crops?

when something of ours breaks daniel has us the replacement the next day.

Seems like your looking to blame someone else for your loss.

Also, why is this crap in my thread?

So let me get this right, if I come into my room 4 weeks into flower on a Friday no less, find 2 leaky buckets that have TOTALLY emptied my system. Now I have to call CC and get 2 replacement buckets. They shipped them on Monday UPS Ground, because you know it was Friday NIght and calling or email wont get answered until Saturday, my new buckets get here on Tuesday. Now that was Friday-Tuesday with NO water in my system!! This happened to me 3 times this year from FAULTY Buckets, CC has now even owned up to this. How is this a NOOB problem? My plants were sitting for 5 DAYS!! You can't do that to an undercurrent system. Just sayin that a crop can be lost due to bucket leaks, bro.

Also because you keep asking me questions, I'm just responding to your questions.

P

phup

So you called them Friday night and they sent it out priority courier ASAP? And you are complaining?
I guess the folks at CC have a better understanding of how to run a business properly. Notice how they have not had to hijack someone else's thread to whine about taking a financial hit.

This is a noob problem because if it you weren't a noob you would not have lost a crop you would have gone to home depot of Friday and bought a 7$ plastic tub, drilled 2, 3" holes in it and put in your uniseals and used it as a temp fix while you waited for your buckets or removed the faulty bucket and capped off the ends of your pvc and made a temporary stand-alone bucket, or used a 5 gallon bucket with bulkheads, or made a wooden flood table out of 2x10" and OSB for $50 that will hold 12 x 8" netpots., or etc., etc.

Sorry DS, this is too good a thread to fill up with whine. I'm done. Merry Christmas!

P

Ph0n3

So you called them Friday night and they sent it out priority courier ASAP? And you are complaining?
I guess the folks at CC have a better understanding of how to run a business properly. Notice how they have not had to hijack someone else's thread to whine about taking a financial hit.

This is a noob problem because if it you weren't a noob you would not have lost a crop you would have gone to home depot of Friday and bought a 7$ plastic tub, drilled 2, 3" holes in it and put in your uniseals and used it as a temp fix while you waited for your buckets or removed the faulty bucket and capped off the ends of your pvc and made a temporary stand-alone bucket, or used a 5 gallon bucket with bulkheads, or made a wooden flood table out of 2x10" and OSB for $50 that will hold 12 x 8" netpots., or etc., etc.

Sorry DS, this is too good a thread to fill up with whine. I'm done. Merry Christmas!

PhuP are you defending CC's defective mods?

After spending 10 years growing and KNOWING What I am doing, I must direct you to this link>

Right where CC admits fault to their problem. Why is it my fault that CC had a MANUFACTURER DEFECT???

That's like telling the guy that owns a Toyota that had a faulty gas pedal not to step on the pedal so hard.

I have another system purchased prior to Feb and it is still kicking just fine, only the 2 I bought in Feb of 11 have I had numerous issues with and couldn't figure out what the problem was. Why were my buckets CRACKING and not just that full on cracking?

Now that the issue has been addressed I will continue to make myself successful. Sorry for the HiJack, I am done, if anyone else would like to complain to me PM me.

Happy HOlidays.

johnnyrex

johnnyrex

Top off rez info

Hello DS and fellow farmers I know this question must sound silly but wanted to clarified about when DS means topping off Rez with 2 ml/cal-mag & 1 ml/ h202 Does that mean when nutrient level have gone down add plain water back to normal level and add cal and h202 or return to normal level with nutrient and add cal and h202
Thanks everyone once again for the help and have a healthily and safe New Years :animbong:

G

grownnsexy420

Quick question ds

Not to b an ass since u gave up so many profiles but I'm using sensi cal 4-0-0 grow w a 6% cal mostly EDTA and sensi bloom b only that's 1-5-4 each at 5ml for a 3 wk old veg plant plus 1 ml sea minerals (all per gallon) to a combined EC of 1.1, can u give me my micros and n-p-k given 10% mag in sea minerals and 6% sulfur, figured it to b a good soup, can't figure out ur equation per labeled ratios per % weight w diff specific gravities and ml/g conversion, I think I get lost in all the changes, OCD! Please and thanks Dr. UC! Wish I knew how to link the labels here to all the bottles but hence not that comp savvy,sorry. It's sensi cal, sensi bloom b, and sea minerals by agricultural organics yellow bottle...again thank u

P

Powdery

That's like telling the guy that owns a Toyota that had a faulty gas pedal not to step on the pedal so hard.

:sign0023: Get this guy outta here.

DS I love what you do man! Very nice work on the veg. info. Thanks for all your insight I will continue to read your post's for a long long time.

Have you experienced a transplant into DWC where the clones just stalled and did nothing?

desertsquirrel

desertsquirrel

:sign0023: Get this guy outta here.

DS I love what you do man! Very nice work on the veg. info. Thanks for all your insight I will continue to read your post's for a long long time.

Have you experienced a transplant into DWC where the clones just stalled and did nothing?

thanks a lot, and yes i have. We had to let out rooted clones sit for about 6 weeks before we used them one time. It was just too long. They never did a thing.

BTW phup is the man.

F

fuzzy

Hey DS im a big fan also, but i was wondering why you use epsom and calmag?I thought it was usually 1 or the other.Teach me wise 1!peace,fuzzy

M

MasterChief

Don't know really where to post this but it does pertain to vegging in hydro, I prep my plants on a flood table and then flower in rdwc.

DS I notice you run H2O2, What are you opinions on bennies/mychro in veg/flowering in hydro DS?

I don't know if you've read through this thread: Testing Beneficial Bacteria in ebb and flow

johnnyrex

johnnyrex

Hello DS at what temp do you keeps your water at in the UC? Thanks for the info

johnnyrex

johnnyrex

Hello DS I don't know either where one can come and get your input on this matter as you are the one that inspire many of us with all the wealth of knowledge you have shared with all of us. I am trying to copy your properly root and veg in the UC as today is the 4th day of phase 1 of the veg stage but my plants are looking really sad my temps are 66-68 only once did it get to 72 cause I forgot to turn on the pumps have dynobloom 4 ml/ gal and 1 ml/ gal Of h2O2 ph 5.3-5.4 and today being day 4 their not looking good I have included some pic sorry if you think I'm hijacking your thread but like I said don't know where to put this to get your input thanks DS

IMG 0053
IMG 0055
IMG 0056
IMG 0057
ZurichTheHunter

ZurichTheHunter

Hey DS - thanks for taking the time to share your wealth of knowledge. I am preparing my first UC grow and have been studying like a mad man prior to lift off.

In reading your rooting thread, I couldn't help but notice that you were using a medium that looked a lot like Sure To Grow.

I had researched this product quite a bit and was impressed by what I had read. Then when talking to Several peeps including cch2o, I was told that that it wasn't a good idea to use the product as it often had algae and mildew issues in a ucdwc environment. I called STG and was told that their product works great in a UC and that the issue was nutrient level management.

Can you or anyone else with STG product experience help me out with this? I would really love to use this product but am hesitant to pull the trigger.

Cheers!

-ZTH

click80

click80

Hey DS - thanks for taking the time to share your wealth of knowledge. I am preparing my first UC grow and have been studying like a mad man prior to lift off.

In reading your rooting thread, I couldn't help but notice that you were using a medium that looked a lot like Sure To Grow.

I had researched this product quite a bit and was impressed by what I had read. Then when talking to Several peeps including cch2o, I was told that that it wasn't a good idea to use the product as it often had algae and mildew issues in a ucdwc environment. I called STG and was told that their product works great in a UC and that the issue was nutrient level management.

Can you or anyone else with STG product experience help me out with this? I would really love to use this product but am hesitant to pull the trigger.

Cheers!

-ZTH

I used STG on three seperate grows in a flood table, a friend of mine still does (why i have no idea)...STG sucks and the company lies. They told us that algae could and would not grow on it...so I sent them some pictures...they said "oh that's just adherence algae or topical algae"...lol...any light leaks on the STG will have algae on it within just a few days...my buddy has to spend an inordinate amount of time covering his table then after he covers it and inserts the plants he has to seal up the holes. Actually I have never seen algae grow so easy...and this is in a dry climate...southwest colorado.

Please let me be clear about this...STG stays too wet, grows algae and is way overpriced...rockwool/hydroton does the job much better...in a flood table anyway.

HydroRocks

HydroRocks

We also tested STG and found it sucks. The owner of the company is a SERIOUS douche for starters.

Top Bottom