Humidity Levels....

• Thread starter MadSciNtst
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MadSciNtst

MadSciNtst

35 degrees with with that rh is the problem. Tho there is a nitrogen abundance these temps are making everything worse. I always try to keep it around 24-27. Lately its been 22-23 tho. I think your friend should not zip the tent and run it with the flap open or he may need to get a flexible duct and pull air from a colder room, possibly from outside of the building (with a bug filter attached at the end).

He said it was about 35 before the carbon filter. Now it’s about 30. According to google, it recommended it be around 29-30 degrees Celsius so he says he didn’t bother it.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
I am a little confused on the (blowing air in)part. Do you mean he is blowing the air into the tent and creating positive pressure-blowing the sides out like a balloon or, pulling the air from inside the tent and blowing it into the filter? I could be wrong but, I am pretty sure both of those scenarios are not the preferred method. He should be pulling the air through the filter and out the tent, creating negative pressure in the tent.
I have RH in the 30's (currently 27) and I don't consider it to be a huge deal (not enough to buy a humidifier anyway). I pull the air and control the flow with the passive vents on the tent.
What are your temps?
30 rh could be tolerated at lower temps. 35C is too high (even with proper rh).

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
He said it was about 35 before the carbon filter. Now it’s about 30. According to google, it recommended it be around 29-30 degrees Celsius so he says he didn’t bother it.
If hes fine then let him do as he pleases because google says so.
Did he look up any vpd charts too.
30 degrees with 30% rh. Its not fine.

MadSciNtst

MadSciNtst

I am a little confused on the (blowing air in)part. Do you mean he is blowing the air into the tent and creating positive pressure-blowing the sides out like a balloon or, pulling the air from inside the tent and blowing it into the filter? I could be wrong but, I am pretty sure both of those scenarios are not the preferred method. He should be pulling the air through the filter and out the tent, creating negative pressure in the tent.
I have RH in the 30's (currently 27) and I don't consider it to be a huge deal (not enough to buy a humidifier anyway). I pull the air and control the flow with the passive vents on the tent.

So he has a tent with 3 ports. One port is tied shut with the led cord running out. The top port is the duct from the carbon filter running out. With the fan on the end helping sick the air out from the tent. There is another port at the lower part of the tent that’s used to pull in fresh air for the tent. This helps keep it cool.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
E17AF188 B2BB 45CF A0F5 EA76A79E9179

Pretty self-explanatory.

MadSciNtst

MadSciNtst

If hes fine then let him do as he pleases because google says so.
Did he look up any vpd charts too.
30 degrees with 30% rh. Its not fine.

He sent me these pics and went with this chart as a base for temps.

FAE943A5 83AF 4917 8C0E A16C9F21BECA
goingtoguano

goingtoguano

So he has a tent with 3 ports. One port is tied shut with the led cord running out. The top port is the duct from the carbon filter running out. With the fan on the end helping sick the air out from the tent. There is another port at the lower part of the tent that’s used to pull in fresh air for the tent. This helps keep it cool.

Ok. That's basically how I run mine.

MadSciNtst

MadSciNtst

Seems like your “buddy” has all the info in the world.
Happy growing to your friend. I’m washing my hands of this.

I don’t mean to sound like I or he knows everything. He is making calls but it’s kinda hard to make a call of this nature. I figure I ask this way. I wasn’t expecting this quick response but I’m glad I got it. I’m only relating the info given. Everything that’s said I’m showing him and telling him over the phone. I don’t do this. So I don’t know it all. That’s also why I came here. For info. I just didn’t want a “trial and error” response.

So what temperature should the tent be for that size plant? Because he says it’s 30 Celsius so I take it, it doesn’t lower. He also bought a warm mist humidifier so I assume that’s not making it any better. That’s why I asked what humidifier would be better since that’s not helping.

As far as the nitrogen, I already made a point to tell him about the ph kit. I’m truing to welcome any info given but I’m certainly not overtalkjng any of you. Me posting the screenshots were what he sent me I guess as a reference point as to why he did what he did. As I stated this isn’t something you can phone a buddy and ask so most of this stuff has to be researched. And not every tent setup is the same so I guess he based his setup off that answer given. Not to say it’s right, but moreso say why he went the route he did. By all means any help would be welcomed.

MadSciNtst

MadSciNtst

For that height what’s the best humidity level? What can he do to reach that?

What’s the best temperature for the tent? What can he do to reach that?

Based off the levels he shows here(he says he saw a setup have 2 gauges. One at the top and one at the bottom. So he pulled one and compared them. For some reason they aren’t calibrated.

So base off what you see and what has been said, what do you suggest?

Cool mist humidifier or leave it as is?
Other than test kit, anything else?

The soil is Great Lakes water soil with worm castings. He uses nutrients. Feeds/waters when soil is dry. Almost never over waters..

7B0F7F4E D693 4D66 8BB8 B8E970930A79
goingtoguano

goingtoguano

The way I understand it, if the Rh is low and the temps are high, the evaporation rate is so high that the plants cant keep up with it. they can only transpire so much and their only way to escape the evaporation is to taco (curl up laterally). The game is to use whatever you can control to keep the temps and air-flow lower and Rh higher. You could close flaps but that might drive up the temp. You could open flaps but that might bring up the flow. You may have to artificially lower the temp or raise the rh. I haven't used humidifiers for a grow purpose but I do have some experience with them and none of it is very good. I would try to focus more into lowering the temps and keeping the flow/circulation to just enough.

MadSciNtst

MadSciNtst

The way I understand it, if the Rh is low and the temps are high, the evaporation rate is so high that the plants cant keep up with it. they can only transpire so much and their only way to escape the evaporation is to taco (curl up laterally). The game is to use whatever you can control to keep the temps and air-flow lower and Rh higher. You could close flaps but that might drive up the temp. You could open flaps but that might bring up the flow. You may have to artificially lower the temp or raise the rh. I haven't used humidifiers for a grow purpose but I do have some experience with them and none of it is very good. I would try to focus more into lowering the temps and keeping the flow/circulation to just enough.

So these gauges....good enough? I’ll be sure to tell him to get the test kit to fix the nitrogen issue. But based off the readings. Is that good enough? I can’t tell what’s right because there is no calibration button.

1A329228 8EC2 4E64 9D88 3C4E09B070EF
goingtoguano

goingtoguano

I don't think it's that bad if this is the high temp of lights-on but it all depends. It seems that the plants are reacting to it being too dry so, efforts should be focused into less-evaporation.
There are a lot of other factors to consider too from the nutes to the light intensity. I would back-off both if there was any question. Straight water and raise the lights. Basically, give them a little break and see how they react.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Ok i’m gonna write this one more time because i don’t want your friend to grow shitty plants.
There is too much nitrogen and probably other nutrients as well. The abundance of nitrogen makes tips claw and gives that edges a claw look. Makes leaves very dark and since theres too much in the plant it locks out other stuff giving some leaves a browning look. This is partly because it locks out potassium and also because too much nitrogen is detrimental to plant development at cellular level.
This plant is suffering from over fertilization and low rh. If you want perfectly healthy plants thats the vpd chart there. Follow it. This is not something i made up. This is scientific work. You have to provide vapor. Possibly cool mist in this case and stop feeding. Give it a week or two. Only water. She has to grow out of this. This is my opinion. When you ask a question you get an answer based on the info you’ve provided. In this case the advice given will be almost always same as mine.
He can also get a fan speed controller and dial the fan speed down. I doubt it will make much difference in temps as he is not taking in air from the outside as i understand. Or he can open up the tent and place a humdifier near the flap, this way the air will distribute much more evenly and the humid air will hit the plants first before being sucked out.
Never tried raising humidity so these are all ideas.
How high are the lights from the plants?

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
So these gauges....good enough? I’ll be sure to tell him to get the test kit to fix the nitrogen issue. But based off the readings. Is that good enough? I can’t tell what’s right because there is no calibration button.
I feel this is appropriate for your friend. Tell him to join The Farm. That probably would be the best thing he could do to help himself.

MadSciNtst

MadSciNtst

Ok i’m gonna write this one more time because i don’t want your friend to grow shitty plants.
There is too much nitrogen and probably other nutrients as well. The abundance of nitrogen makes tips claw and gives that edges a claw look. Makes leaves very dark and since theres too much in the plant it locks out other stuff giving some leaves a browning look. This is partly because it locks out potassium and also because too much nitrogen is detrimental to plant development at cellular level.
This plant is suffering from over fertilization and low rh. If you want perfectly healthy plants thats the vpd chart there. Follow it. This is not something i made up. This is scientific work. You have to provide vapor. Possibly cool mist in this case and stop feeding. Give it a week or two. Only water. She has to grow out of this. This is my opinion. When you ask a question you get an answer based on the info you’ve provided. In this case the advice given will be almost always same as mine.
He can also get a fan speed controller and dial the fan speed down. I doubt it will make much difference in temps as he is not taking in air from the outside as i understand. Or he can open up the tent and place a humdifier near the flap, this way the air will distribute much more evenly and the humid air will hit the plants first before being sucked out.
Never tried raising humidity so these are all ideas.
How high are the lights from the plants?

Ok so he says that he doesn’t feed it. That the store told him that the Great Lakes water soil mixed with work castings was good enough soil added with the mammoth p nutrients(which was done every other watering) and fish sh!t he was given. The fish sh!t actually help sprout the plant as well as another plant he has. So by having that soil and mammoth p and fish sh!t he was only advised to water only because the soil mixed with what he was given was good enough. As for a fan, he has one blowing air in. Just not from outdoors. It’s pretty cold up here so it would be pretty cold in the tent if he did I assume. Now the light is maybe about a foot or so away. I think he raised it thinking it was drying the plant out so no more than 2 feet but no less than a foot.

As far as the chart, I see it and saved it and sent it to him but there’s no information that I saw on what I’m looking at, so I told him to research. Because I looked at 40% humidity and 30 degrees Celsius and I see 25.4 I’m not sure what that means and nothing in it states what to do to get it back to an 8.5

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Ok so he says that he doesn’t feed it. That the store told him that the Great Lakes water soil mixed with work castings was good enough soil added with the mammoth p nutrients(which was done every other watering) and fish sh!t he was given. The fish sh!t actually help sprout the plant as well as another plant he has. So by having that soil and mammoth p and fish sh!t he was only advised to water only because the soil mixed with what he was given was good enough. As for a fan, he has one blowing air in. Just not from outdoors. It’s pretty cold up here so it would be pretty cold in the tent if he did I assume. Now the light is maybe about a foot or so away. I think he raised it thinking it was drying the plant out so no more than 2 feet but no less than a foot.

As far as the chart, I see it and saved it and sent it to him but there’s no information that I saw on what I’m looking at, so I told him to research. Because I looked at 40% humidity and 30 degrees Celsius and I see 25.4 I’m not sure what that means and nothing in it states what to do to get it back to an 8.5
Chart is pretty self explanatory if you look at it closely. It says hydrate and dehydrate with different colours. Then there is only the heat shock and poor rh left. The old leaves seem to get this droppy and clawy look at an earlier heat stroke when it got to 35C or something and new leaves look kinda ok. Then it’ll probably be fine. There is nothing to do. Except raising rh to provide the optimum environment. Also i’ll still say N is too much. Next time maybe he should try the soil as it is and doesnt add fish shit. And checking for bugs is important too.

Top Bottom