Hydro Slow Growth Help

• Thread starter CrazyLegZ87
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

CrazyLegZ87

I have 2 plants about 2 months old and 2 plants couple week younger in a homemade hydroponics setup using same res with air stones in each bucket. Rh is 55% and temp 20-23°c. Grow light is a 315 cmh about 25inches above plants.

I'm using tap water with floranova grow at 2tsp/gal at 5.5-6.5ph.

My question is my plants don't seem to be growing fast staying short. Each plant seems to be behaving differently. 1 has dark green droopy leaves (I topped once) other has rust spots(Never topped) one has dark green leaves with curled down tips.(topped once The last one seems fine growth seems slow... not much gap in nodes (topped twice).

I thought I had my light to close so I raised it up hopping they would stretch a bit. But they seem to be showing signs of over watering or to much nutrients but have signs of cal diffancy
Hydro slow growth help
Hydro slow growth help 2
Hydro slow growth help 3
Hydro slow growth help 4
Hydro slow growth help
Hydro slow growth help 2
Hydro slow growth help 3
Hydro slow growth help 4
Hydro slow growth help 5
Hydro slow growth help 4

S

Simplicio

You might be over-feeding.
I use less than half of the nute pushers' recommendations, and still sometimes get nute burn.
Manufacturer recommendations are intended to maximize their bottom lines, often at our plants' expense.

A ppm pen is essential in hydro.

chemistry

chemistry

Over feeding would be my guess. What is two tsps in PPM's?

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
The plants look to be overfed. Drooping leaves is a sign, since it affects the water balance. The leaves look almost too ridged, also a sign of overfeeding. I'm a Promix grower and don't use too much in the way of special fertilizers...1 Tbs/gallon every 10 days max. Hydro is different to some degree, but my opinion is that they are a little hot on the nutrients. Plants tend to stretch during dark periods, so you might want to consider cutting your light back an hour or two, which might help. Don't cut it too much, though, or it can start to flower depending on the strain.

4plant

4plant

I think your low temp is causing a low transpiration rate. Calcium is immobile and is only takin up through transpiration so your seeing a deficiency. Check out a vpd chart and try to get that more dialed in, don’t add more nutes

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I have 2 plants about 2 months old and 2 plants couple week younger in a homemade hydroponics setup using same res with air stones in each bucket. Rh is 55% and temp 20-23°c. Grow light is a 315 cmh about 25inches above plants.

I'm using tap water with floranova grow at 2tsp/gal at 5.5-6.5ph.

My question is my plants don't seem to be growing fast staying short. Each plant seems to be behaving differently. 1 has dark green droopy leaves (I topped once) other has rust spots(Never topped) one has dark green leaves with curled down tips.(topped once The last one seems fine growth seems slow... not much gap in nodes (topped twice).

I thought I had my light to close so I raised it up hopping they would stretch a bit. But they seem to be showing signs of over watering or to much nutrients but have signs of cal diffancyView attachment 837831 View attachment 837832 View attachment 837833 View attachment 837834 View attachment 837831 View attachment 837832 View attachment 837833 View attachment 837834 View attachment 837835 View attachment 837834
get your Ph down around 5.8 never more than 6.0 in hydro. At 6.5 you will have nutrient deficiencies. have run hydro for years. 5.8/6.0 is optimum. I would always set Ph at 5.2 when mixing fresh nutes and let it swing up to 6.0 over time. This way your allowing the roots to take up different nutes during the swing.

C

CrazyLegZ87

I have 1-2 weeks left in flowering. The 2 plants in back are fucked but the 2 in front seem good. all 4 are on the same reservoir. I was using the lotus formula for flowering (8ml/g novabloom) plus calimagic,koolbloom. My ph meter screwed up and was down 1 ph. Still don't know why plants in back are burnt and not the ones in front. I tried the max strength at 14ml/g and maxed out the ppm at 3000ppm/500scale. Should be around 1400? Have 3 more in soil that are perfect. Won't let me upload pics try when I get home tmr

C

CrazyLegZ87

I have 1-2 weeks left in flowering. The 2 plants in back are fucked but the 2 in front seem good. all 4 are on the same reservoir. I was using the lotus formula for flowering (8ml/g novabloom) plus calimagic,koolbloom. My ph meter screwed up and was down 1 ph. Still don't know why plants in back are burnt and not the ones in front. I tried the max strength at 14ml/g and maxed out the ppm at 3000ppm/500scale. Should be around 1400? Have 3 more in soil that are perfect. Won't let me upload pics try when I get home tmr

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
They, or at least 1 or 2, look burnt to me. If you mess with the Ph, its not difficult to lock up nutrients so they aren't available to the plant. When the Ph range gets into the correct range, all of the previously locked up nutrients are now available and can burn plants easily and without much warning. Your Ph seems ok...I prefer mine closer to 6.5, but never really worry about it since I don't use much fertilizer other than 20-20-20 and wood ashes.Most folks always think there is a deficiency, but deficiencies take a while to show up and I just haven't seen much in the way of deficiencies in plants grown today except for Nitrogen, mostly during later flowering. Its remarkably easy to overfeed things, which initially looks like it needs water. From there its a difficult road because of Ph issues as well assoil dynamics...if you are using soil.

chemistry

chemistry

I think that what your seeing is the result of 3000ppm coming a week later after feeding, so just plough on with them, you should get some sort of return, just give them a good flush to remove the nuits. If the burnt plants are no good, but have some good trikes you can always hash them. The plant in the last pic is suffering a bit of nuit burn, you can see it on the tips.

tsunami

tsunami

Looking at your set up, i see only one hose connecting each bucket. How do you circulate the water with only one hose to each bucket? This may be one of the problems why the plants grew at different rates do to uneven nute/ph balance in each bucket with no circulation. Large PH swings are very hard on cannabis plants. Another thing i see is you have massive bucket hats in your buckets, this can delay growth of the top of the plant until the root system catches up. The roots have a long way to grow to the side of the basket before growing down into the bucket.

C

CrazyLegZ87

I have 1/2" house on each bucket going to a manifold then into my res. I have a pump with 1/2" hose then 1/4" hose (2 for each bucket) to supply water. plus I have air stones in each buck and another pump in my res to keep everything mixed.

20181012 113731
C

CrazyLegZ87

How do you know when to up the nutrients? Do you start low and wait for the plants to start getting nitrogen deficiency then then up the strength? Or try and get max strength before burning the plant

Will under feed plants stunt growth?

Top Bottom