Hydroponic Research Vs Emerald Harvest

• Thread starter PhatNuggz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

I have used HR for 3+ years, 2 by itself, and 1 adding +Size from mid-flower to harvest. My buds and yields have always been first rate, BUT, a soft voice inside my head kept whispering ... Cannabis's chemistry needs are a lot different during flower. I attempted to address this by adding +Size. After 3 harvests, any improvement was negligible.

I began looking for a dry bloom formula to compliment V+B. I eventually stumbled upon NPK University and RAW Nutrients on YT. Harley Smith's tutorials are first rate

Funny thing happened visiting my local hydro store to buy some RAW: I have bought most of my equipment from them, sans lights. Lo and behold the President of Emerald Harvest and the Sunlight rep were there. The owner was listening when I asked his sales person about the RAW products, and suggested I discuss Emerald Harvest with the Pres.

You might know I am very finicky about my water, which is why I was attracted to HR in first place some 3- 4 years ago. Since EH is liquid, I made it known that I don't like paying for water, especially when it's not up to my standards, which I then explained. I was told they first purify their water with RO, the use a huge vortexing machine to mix the nutes. DAMN. What the hell, I'm in!

I had 5 plants that were ready to flip and one that had already been getting HR during bloom for a couple weeks. I finished her with EH. She's been drying for 5-7 days now. A couple weeks back I took a couple small branches from the very bottom. Early taste is phenomenal, and I love the high; very heady and happy, I came up with the idea for this thread and am happily typing away after just 3 hits.

So what makes this thread work is the fact that I have 2 near identical fat sat dom hybrid christmas bushes that I took 5 clones from (see pics, one on left has been under 240w TL hot5 LEDS. The solo twin is finishing under an Amare Technologies SE 250 CoB Hybrid

The clones have only been on HR for a few days ~ 250ppm. Tomorrow I will dump them and switch to EH 3 part Grow Micro and Bloom. This will provide a comparison between HR for veg + EH for bloom vs EH throughout.

I'll take pics after I change out the nutes tomorrow

Hydroponic research vs emerald harvest
Hydroponic research vs emerald harvest 2
Last edited:
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Just mixed up EH 3 part

Instructions say to pH BEFORE mixing nutes. That may be a great idea, depending on you starting water's pH. Mine is >10

I decided to add ~ 3ml Root Wizard (not pictured)

IMG 3444
IMG 3445
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

I asked what the difference is between 2 and 3 part

Short answer is micros are mostly in part A and some in B. It's like having control of only volume not treble and bass.

3 part gives you equalizing capability and more control for pro but prone to messing up for staff. Two parts we take guesswork out of it and just have formula for grow and another for bloom.

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

The second flower pic definitely has some issues. Is your ph ok? Hope you get it figured out.

Very observant. I decided to add the lenses, which are too intense for the distance of ~ twelve inches. Basically, I gave the leafs a nasty sun burn

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Damn, in the last 2 weeks I had to buy a new RO and a new ph testr. I upped my game on both. The testr handles pH, TDS, and temps. I sent $50 at the hydro store getting stabilizing solutions, calibration solutions and hold solution

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Oh shit, I forgot to post pics taken yesterday

I am blown away. The cola on the left is over 18" and has doubled in girth in the last 7 days

The beauty on the right pic 2-3, is also fattening up like crazy. I pollinated her about a month go. One good looking seed fell out when I was checking the pods

IMG 3461
IMG 3462
IMG 3464
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Can you see much difference between 7/09 pics?

These were taken with light off this morning

It seems the EH bloom supplements are killin it

IMG 3466
IMG 3467
IMG 3468
keiksweat

keiksweat

How dense are they,might be pics but look really airy buds.hope they turn out great,interesting read.

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

The first picture depicts 2 plants, same strain. Everything was the same except for lighting: TL @ 240w, Amare @ 250+.

The plant on the left was veg/flowered under Transcend Lighting T5s, but was skinny, with soft buds. As soon as I could, I moved it under the Amare SE 220 (but only had ~ 10 days left) in hopes of the buds fattening and tightening up: they did tighten up a good bit, but it was too late for fattening. The plants on the right were transferred prior to flowering

It is possible that I was using too much red, mixing them 1:1= 4:4. If I run the TL again for flowering I will reduce reds to 2:1

Note how much bigger the main stalk is under the Amare, and how much smaller the buds are under the TL. The Amare buds are rocks

IMG 3471
IMG 3472
IMG 3474
cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
So isn't that EH just a strait copy of GH 3 part? The NPK's on it look the same. If so why not just use 3 part? Was that cheaper?

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Not familiar with GH nutrients
gh-flora-series_large.jpeg

Come on man can't be running hydro and not know about 3 part. Hydro Thor might strike lightning down on you. If it's the same strength then there are tons of recipes already for it Lucas, 5/5/5, Useless, GH Feed chart are a couple that are used quite a bit.

Last edited:
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Thinking about the GH nutes. Apparently you think they are the same

I will liken this to micro brew beers of the same alcohol %. The quality of ingredients and how they are mixed makes a huge difference in the final product

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Thinking about the GH nutes. Apparently you think they are the same

I will liken this to micro brew beers of the same alcohol %. The quality of ingredients and how they are mixed makes a huge difference in the final product

No I don't think the ingredients are exactly the same. They are so close its not going to matter though. I was strictly talking about the NPK values and I am suspect when a company comes along and makes an exact copy of something. AN did it with 3 part but they took the route as it's cheaper then 3 part so use this. No claims of better ingredients ect. I look at it as trying to reinvent the wheel of something that is tried and true. If it had a different ratio sure. Since it doesn't I was just curious if it was cheaper then 3 part because if it isn't then I don't see the point. I'm not knocking it man. Want to see what it does. Maybe it is better who knows. I'm just on the question of cost since it doesn't bring anything to the table in the NPK dept. 3 part a is really good nute line you can tweak. If I was looking to improve past that I would run different nutes all together. That's just me though.

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Harvested the rest of the presumably Blueberry Cheesecake. Just a few nice buds left on her at the moment (to the right of the G13). Next up to start harvesting the sat which is probably G13 dom (pic #4)

Seedlings are doing quite well under the TLs

The clones are beginning to adapt to their new environment

I cannot say I see bigger buds, or more trics than with the V + B. The proof will be in the smoke

IMG 3491
IMG 3492
IMG 3496
IMG 3495
IMG 3493
IMG 3494
Last edited:
Top Bottom