Hygrozyme & Hydroguard

• Thread starter jcom
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jcom

jcom

What's up guys. Quick question for ya. Has anyone used Hygrozyme and Hydroguard (the new one) together in a DWC/RDWC? My water temps are a higher than I'd like to see on my new setup and I saw some foam forming in the rez, which I've never seen before in years if DWC. I hooked up my chiller, but I fucking hate using them. They are the most counterproductive piece of equipment IMO. The pump for the chiller is an additional heat source and, obviously, the chiller is a major heat source. It's like fighting a losing battle all the time. Temps have come down from 77/78 to 73/74. I've always been fine with 74 or less. Air temps are 76 - 78F

I added 1ml/gallon of Hydroguard (which contains Bacillus amyloliquefaciens) which, supposedly feeds on all of the nasties. I want to make sure I'm protected, though, so wondering if adding some Hygrozyme will help as well. Or, they may conflict with each other and turn out badly??

I'm using all Botanicare Pro, so I'm hoping the foam was just some tea-like microbial action. Pro Grow, Aquashield, Cal Mag, Liquid Karma, and Silica Blast. Will be adding Sweet and AN Nirvana in the coming weeks with the switch to 12/12.

Thoughts appreciated.

Last edited:
socalpunx

socalpunx

its fine,the foam is from microbial life and it wouldnt have anything to do with your temps.Hydroguard is aquashield they changed the names cause a state regulation problem they had but its cleared up now they are now allowed to sell it as Bacillus amyloliquefaciens it is still derived from chicken poultry it is still the exact same formula,I had a long talk with the rep

jcom

jcom

its fine,the foam is from microbial life and it wouldnt have anything to do with your temps.Hydroguard is aquashield they changed the names cause a state regulation problem they had but its cleared up now they are now allowed to sell it as Bacillus amyloliquefaciens it is still derived from chicken poultry it is still the exact same formula,I had a long talk with the rep

Cool. It looks a little more refined/filtered, whereas the Aquashield (aka chicken shit) is yellowish and has some sediment if not shaken, the new Hydroguard appears clear and sediment free. Hydroguard is supposedly more concentrated as well. What are your thoughts on Hygrozyme?

jcom

jcom

Just read this interesting tidbit on Bacillus Amyloliquefaciens:

Bacillus amyloliquefaciens are gram positive rods with peritrichous flagella allowing motility. The cells often appear as long chains unlike many other Bacillus species that form as single cells. The optimal temperature for cellular growth is between 30 and 40 degrees Celsius. Similar to other Bacillus species, B. amyloliquefaciens forms endospores allowing survival for a long period of time. Endospores appear centrally in the cells which do not have a swollen appearance.

30 - 40 C = 84 - 104F Apparently they like it warm.

jcom

jcom

Do some research on chillers yo, its more efficent to cool water than it is to cool air

Thanks, but I've been growing RDWC and growing high end corals in reef tanks for over a decade, respectively. I have 3 chillers. I don't like using them. I set up my reef tanks to maintain 78 - 80F without the use of chillers and I strive to do my RDWCs without them as well. I use a 1/4 HP on our 8000 watt grow. I still don't like them. Their pump and their condenser both contribute to heat, greatly. My $0.02

KiLoEleMeNt

KiLoEleMeNt

Hey everyone. OK @jcom I can give you my opinion on hygrozyme but I have no idea how it works with aquashield but I would assume fine if you went 50/50 not full power. As for hygrozyme I love the stuff, anytime I have ever had a root/water problem it fixed it rite up it even cleared algae for me once (not sure if its meant to do that) however, I will say this it is not the best thing to use all the time like aquashield, not only is it expensive but it seems to stunt the plants if left in your rez for too long (more than a few days) where as the zym I get with black label works just as good (without some of the benefits) but is used for the entire grow in every other rez change? so overall I would say that it is really good stuff for the rite type of grow (not mine) but will work best as a one time treatment for 2 or 3 days then move back to whatever you would normally use (or just stick with that idk)

jcom

jcom

Thanks Kilo. I added Hydroguard at 1ml/gallon and the foam vanished. However, Botanicare said that the foam was normal, desirable biological activity. All appears well with the plants!

KiLoEleMeNt

KiLoEleMeNt

I agree with botanicare but I disagree with it being a desired effect for the consumer as it makes a mess I use a vortex compost brewer for making compost tea and I tell u what that sucker gets BUUUUUUBBLY!!! the best thing I found to just fix the bubbles without messing with the activity would have to be storch oil this stuff is cool its good for a few things De-foaming, Leaf tonic, Leaf wash its made from menhaden oil, neem oil, karanja oil, sea minerals, Himalayan crystal salt

C

CannaBlaster

I personally think Hydroguard (aka Aquashield) reformulation is better than Hygrozyme. Hydroguard stops, prevents, cures, and blocks pythium and algae growth and the stronger formula is a beast! Also keeps biofilms under control when using carbs like FloraNectar.

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

I'm lazy and didn't read all the other posts, but that being said I stand behind hydroguard 100%. Check my threads if you wanna see how it keeps roots prefect with no chiller. And I use it stand alone for root health. Base nutes, hg, and budcandy in flower. KISS

Top Bottom