I cracked open a jar today after 6 mos cure

• Thread starter jumpincactus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Thought I would post a few pics of some nugs that have been curing for a little over 6 mos.

They are from a strain called UltraSour by TH Seeds that were gifted to me last year.

UltraSour is supposed to be MK Ultra X East Coast Sour D.

I can remember the little tasters I tried some 6 mos ago before jarring. Let me tell ya the extended cure just brought out a smoothness and the sour D profiles enormously. Very tasty smoke indeed.

The nugs are dense and good sized overall. There was virtually no popcorn site. Branches were nice and thick.
I cracked open a jar today after 6 mos cure 3

The potency level as compared to 2 week cured and the longer cure 6 mo time is difference between day and night. I was actual caught off guard by the ferocity of the way it came on. What a hell of a ride!!! Wish I had time to do longer cures but as you all know the show must go on :)

I cracked open a jar today after 6 mos cure 2
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Nice! I love a good cure, and 6mos is fantastic. :D
@ Seamaiden Whats the longest you've gone and what strain was it iffn you remember, lol My dad used to bury his stash in the yard for a year. Of course that was given amounts of his private smoke. Claimed it did something to the chemistry of the plant. Gotta admit his shit was pretty kick a@@. Used to get good visuals from his stash....... oh the memories..... :)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
@ Seamaiden Whats the longest you've gone and what strain was it iffn you remember, lol My dad used to bury his stash in the yard for a year. Of course that was given amounts of his private smoke. Claimed it did something to the chemistry of the plant. Gotta admit his shit was pretty kick a@@. Used to get good visuals from his stash....... oh the memories..... :)
Couple of years, just because that's how it worked out, and many strains. It does matter a lot how it's stored. I once found a 3yo bag of Cali Blue that was AWFUL. I'd stashed it inside an air baffle and forgot completely about it. Then I couldn't figure out WTF was wrong with my airflow, got up and peeped inside, said, "Oh DAMN! I remember THAT!" Ended up tossing it into the compost. :o

OGONLY

OGONLY

I've found it starts to get old smelling after a little more than a year. The taste can still be there after a year, but after too long it definitely starts to degrade.

infocus

infocus

Yeah I would have though the active would break down, even if the flavor increases..

GeorgeWKush4

GeorgeWKush4

ive never been one to keep my bud jarred long enough to see a true cure, until my last batch , jarred and cured for 160 days. the taste, and smell is unbelievable. the ash is so clean, almost white. i know its hard to do it, but i would suggest it 100%!
Below are a few pics of my Mendo Punch from Honest Genetics and some Tangbreath from Thugpug Genetics at 160 days

03A897AB 8FEE 4321 8BE8 6547D1886798
12048C5E 6B6E 4D5D 8B04 B8F7F75C8BB8
BD8603A5 B016 49BA BECE 0F5191653D77
436532F3 AF34 4E51 8D4E 8F0CC8C9D746
Mr Bee

Mr Bee

Thought I would post a few pics of some nugs that have been curing for a little over 6 mos.

They are from a strain called UltraSour by TH Seeds that were gifted to me last year.

I can remember the little tasters I tried some 6 mos ago before jarring. Let me tell ya the extended cure just brought out a smoothness and the sour D profiles enormously. Very tasty smoke indeed.

The nugs are dense and good sized overall. There was virtually no popcorn site. Branches were nice and thick.View attachment 423554 View attachment 423554 View attachment 423556

The potency level as compared to 2 week cured and the longer cure 6 mo time is difference between day and night. I was actual caught off guard by the ferocity of the way it came on. What a hell of a ride!!! Wish I had time to do longer cures but as you all know the show must go on :)
I had a 6 pack of these .I didn't get anything I thought remarkable but of course mine didn't have a 6 month cure.not even close.lol.just goes to show how much a good curing process can make all the difference.

Madmax

Madmax

Ive gone a couple years also...the fresh smell remains the same from the day you jarred it.
Gave a mate a hit and he looooooved iiiiiit..10 mins later ..hes saying ...how much you want for it...im like i aint sellin...and he said ...im gonna make ya fuckin sell it LOL..:D..
Was only 5 ozzy's but...he made me an offer i couldnt refuse...i didnt tell him about the other jar though hehe...but in all honesty i couldnt tell no difference between a yr and 2yrs

But like you said 6mos rocks ya socks off..

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I had a 6 pack of these .I didn't get anything I thought remarkable but of course mine didn't have a 6 month cure.not even close.lol.just goes to show how much a good curing process can make all the difference.
I was really pleased with the smoke I had from them. Not all phenos were great tho only 2 out of 12 were even worthy. But those 2 sure ticked all the boxes for me.

F

FutureGrower

Isnt it just turning your thc to cbn with a long cure, or does it have to be in open air for it to convert to cbn?

I know longer cured weed slams me to the couch sometimes but has always seemed a little less psychoactive.

The longest I've personally cured anything of mine is 3 maybe 4 months just tried some longer cured stuff from friends stashes

SinCity

SinCity

The nugs are dense and good sized overall. There was virtually no popcorn site. Branches were nice and thick.View attachment 423554 View attachment 423554 View attachment 423556

LET'S HEAR IT FOR LONG CURES!!

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Isnt it just turning your thc to cbn with a long cure, or does it have to be in open air for it to convert to cbn?

I know longer cured weed slams me to the couch sometimes but has always seemed a little less psychoactive.

The longest I've personally cured anything of mine is 3 maybe 4 months just tried some longer cured stuff from friends stashes
The process of my long cure is based on keeping my stash controlled during cure at a Rh of 58 % and kept at temps of around 38 d F. The deterioration of thc to cbd is typically triggered by these factors, light, heat, air & time. Of these 4 factors I can control the heat air and temps, time not so much.

But even time I can slow it down to a point with using the vacuum sealing since with no fresh air to aid in the oxidation of the terpenes and thc. Sort of like freezing foods slows down the degradation of the item.

I have cured bud for up to 14 mos using the above method and I truly cannot discern any real changes in its smoke taste terps or stone. Colors do change a lot during this long a cure

My method, long dry time at 60% Rh typically 14 days with all sugar leaves left on until dry is complete. Final trim sugar leaves, use vacuum sealed mason jars, store at 38 d F , and don't open jars at all during the cure process. Be sure to use fresh clean jar seals when jarring no used seals.

The last part is crucial as every time you open or break the seal you are introducing fresh air to the mix which will lend to the further oxidization of the chemical compounds. Keep in mind you have to be certain that you have nailed it with the drying so you can be confident that no more additional burping is required.

The smoke after this is amazing. I will admit that I found the sweet spot to be between 6 mos and a year.

Last edited:
F

FutureGrower

The process of my long cure is based on keeping my stash controlled during cure at a Rh of 58 % and kept at temps of around 38 d F. The deterioration of thc to cbd is typically triggered by these factors, light, heat, air & time. Of these 4 factors I can control the heat air and temps, time not so much.

But even time I can slow it down to a point with using the vacuum sealing since with no fresh air to aid in the oxidation of the terpenes and thc. Sort of like freezing foods slows down the degradation of the item.

I have cured bud for up to 14 mos using the above method and I truly cannot discern any real changes in its smoke taste terps or stone. Colors do change a lot during this long a cure

My method, long dry time at 60% Rh typically 14 days with all sugar leaves left on until dry is complete. Final trim sugar leaves, use vacuum sealed mason jars, store at 38 d F , and don't open jars at all during the cure process. Be sure to use fresh clean jar seals when jarring no used seals.

The last part is crucial as every time you open or break the seal you are introducing fresh air to the mix which will lend to the further oxidization of the chemical compounds. Keep in mind you have to be certain that you have nailed it with the drying so you can be confident that no more additional burping is required.

The smoke after this is amazing. I will admit that I found the sweet spot to be between 6 mos and a year.

Thank you for the detailed response! My cures need some work before I'm on that level but I'll get there!

SinCity

SinCity

your post just made me realize I know very little about the chemical/metabolic processes of the cure (regular or long)--i'm sure lots of folks here do (would love to hear--LOVE learning). it's just interesting to think about how much of a switch it is for me, how much of a different mindset i go into once they come down. i drop immediately out of my head, and right into feel. feeling and fussing, fussing and feeling. and stressing. i still get stressed every time. they love to see ME sweat (lol). i still have to be firm with myself--i have to stay very strict in reminding myself how much they love to tease me----swearing on a bible and batting their eyelashes that they couldn't possibly hide even one more little oxygen molecule, let alone one with two hydrogens on its arms.

i'm very grateful for everything they have and continue to give me and so many others--BUT these past couple of years doing these huge outdoor sites...roughly 1100 a year dry. :drunk: :crying2::badboy::badboy::crying2::drunk:
I am so happy to be going back inside! I'm not a goddamn industrial agricultural volume factory!!

Some of us east coasters who live out here now have a running joke---"I'm in the middle of fucking Humboldt County and I have to grow my own fucking weed?!?!?!?"

IMG 1649

This is the best I can do outside--Zkittlez taken mid or late September. Can't wait to walk in the winter wonderland of sparkles again!

Latest posts

Top Bottom