i dont care what anyone says 24 hour veg is HORRIBLE, tell me why u think different

• Thread starter OGKuShSAL
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

kushtech

24 hours is what i have ran for a good amount of years, if you see somthing wrong with your plants its probably not the light cycle... :animbong:

E

ez farmer

can't you use florencent lights part of the time insted of 1000 watts all the time may be 3hrs of florencet's then 12 hrs 1000 watts so you finish with 3 hrs of florencent in an 18 hrs of lighting so to save some green and still grow green then smoke some green

P

paulycali

or get a digital ballast dimmable and run it at 400 watt during veg and cranking it up to 1000 watts for flowering. with veg you can even do some hours 1000 some 400 hey maybe even some 600. its up to you. try that one ez farmer

M

MyRelief

a few naps in there wont hurt.

Never ran any side by side comparisons nor will I ever do I think....24 hrs works. 18 6 works 20 4 works......I do notice after running 24 hrs. for a few weeks then a simple 6 hr cat nap and upon lights coming back on again the girls are refreshed and look alot stronger and way more robust then a few more weeks of 24 then another nap to wake up and get flowering time. I'm always amazed at the development from just taking a nap....they love it.

P

pacog

I use Shoplights and T5's for veg. I can veg under my T5's for 6-8 weeks for every 6 days another grower vegges under a 1000w HPS. I can turn them off and on a few times a day with no ill effects.

I can do with proper planning whatever you do speedwise too. A room with 6 4x4 T5s tables. One tray is 1 week old, 1 is 2 weeks, 1 is 3 weeks One is 6 weeks old. My 6 week vegged clones will be better than any 1 week veg 1000w clones. Even if they are the same size they will be better. Better roots, better internodal spacing and more explosion when 12/12 comes.

Every week I can have 6 week old clones ready. They will have been grown under 18-6 and they will be happier plants. Not forced under 24 hour light. If established botany is true and plants only do certain functions at dark how can they not be happier and healthier?

Six weeks of Veg Time under t5's and you want to compare grow rates to 1 week under 1000w because power consumption is close. Thats not even a comparison. Of course you will have more growth the plant has been growing for six weeks. Just look at DD's MPB thread and get back to me Growth of plants. 3 weeks of veg and average 2-4lbs Per plant depending on strain.

Yes they do. They might be able to grow but IMHO they do benefit. There are certain functions that only happen during the dark cycle. Most experts say that pot plants track night hours not daylight hours. There circadian rhythms are based on the night. You would need to do a side by side grow of all the same equipment, same clones and then 1 veg 24/7 and the other 18/6. In the end I bet if there was a difference (not saying there would be, in fact my argument is benefited if they are just equal), the 18/6 would be the best yield.

I will just respond to this with the following information.

Found this information on photoperiod.

"It's been established for many many many years now that cannabis is a C3 plant. It does not need a dark period.

C3 plants gather CO2 only during the light period when they are photosynthesizing. As long as the light is on, C3 plants gather and use CO2 for photosynthesis.

Some growers practice a version of anthropomorphism with their plants. They believe that since people need rest, plants do as well. Concerning cannabis, this is not true.

Every grower can make a personal choice about light cycle. They can save on their electric bill or prolong ballast/bulb life. 18/6 can be less of a "shock" when changing over to 12/12 for flowering than 24/0 or heat issues can be addressed by fewer hours of light, but basic botany has proven long ago that cannabis needs no dark period.

Ed Rosenthal, Mel Frank and Robert Clarke all have covered this extensively over their careers.

hXXp://www.mellowgold.com/grow/mjbotany-removed/marijuanabotany1.html Marijuana Botany Chapter 1 - Sinsemilla Life Cycle of Cannabis
hXXp://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/3127.html Need the dark
-------------------------------------------------------------

"This is a direct quote from Ed Rosenthal whom most of you know is a marijuana growing guru:

Marijuana plants photosynthesize as long as they receive light as well as water, air, nutrients and suitable temperature. Photosynthesis is the process in which plants use the energy from light (primarily in the blue and red spectrum's) to combine carbon dioxide (CO2) from the air and water (H2O) to make sugar while releasing oxygen to the air.

Plants use sugars continuously to fuel metabolic processes (living) as well as for tissue building. The plant combines nitrogen (N) with the sugar to make amino acids, the building blocks of proteins. They are the substance of plant tissue. When the light is off, the plant's metabolic processes, respiration and growth, continue.

The plant can photosynthesize continuously so it produces the most energy and growth when the light is on, continuously. Continuous light does not stress the plant, which reacts somewhat mechanistically to it.

Plants under an 18-6 light-dark regimen are producing sugar only three quarters of the time. They are thus growing at only 75% of their potential. Leaving the light on continuously will result in bigger plants, faster, which leads to higher yields."

-------------------------------------------------------------

"The following information is straight from Greg Green's "The Cannabis Grow Bible"

Cannabis is a light demanding plant. Professional growers keep the light on their plants using the 24/0 photoperiod for this reason. Plants that grow under 24/0 flourish and do not need a quantity of darkness in order to rest and perform photosynthesis properly. Plants that are grown in optimal conditions under 24/0 light regime grow vigorusly and the benefits of a 24/0 photoperiod can be seen actively in the results. More nodes are formed, more branches are created, leaf numbers increase, the plant is growing at its finest.

Some growers opt to use 18/6 as their photoperiod. This is 18 hours of light, six hours of darkness light regime. Under these conditions the plant will grow quite naturally but not as vigorously as the 24/0 photoperiod.

The 18/6 photoperiod expels 3/4 the amount of light that a 24/0 photoperiod does. Although this does not mean that a plant produces 1/4 less leaves,branches and nodes under the 18/6 photoperiod, it certainly does show the correlation between light and cannabis growth. As we have said already, cannabis is a light demanding plant. There are no problems associated with 24/0 and although some have attributed cannabis sexual dysfunction (the hermaphrodite conditon) to 18/6 photoperiod these problems are actually the result of heat stress.

A 24/0 photoperiod requires that your grow room temperature be kept well monitored. The 18/6 option is cheaper to run. You use a quarter less electricity and this will have an impact on your electricity bill. Also the 18/6 photoperiod will generally extend the bulb's lifespan. During the 6 hours of darkness the grow room is allowed to cool down for this period but a well maintained good grow room setup should not require a cooling down period.

24/0 and 18/6 both share the same problem though. Once you start the photoperiod you should keep that way especially when the plants near maturity (the preflowering stage). An irregular photoperiod can cause more males than females to develop. It can also cause sexual dysfunction to appear. Whether you choose 24/0 or 18/6 as your vegetative photoperiod try to keep that photoperiod unitl your plants are mature enough to express their sex."

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
Pacog are you saying that mother nature is wrong? You are misinterpreting what they are saying. Just because things happen during light doesn't mean nothing happens at night.

They don't track days they track nights. Stuff goes on at night besides growing.

You are speaking from a total indoor point of view.

Why isn't a 1 week to 6 week veg a fair comparison? The DD MPB you referenced had a 3 week veg. So for the same power I could veg for 18 weeks. Then put them in his system. They would be bigger. But I can't comment on that thread because last time I added my thoughts I was banned for a week.

Are you a practitioner of a dark period before harvest? If you are you must be expecting something to happen during the dark period.

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
I was just trying to make a point. I ain't vegging for 18 weeks either. I don't know the answer either but I am not going to except either way as gospel.

I came late and burned out early on this thread. LOL! Later! Back to outdoor for me.

A

antimatter

Whenever I have to throw my plants in my flower room to veg with full wattage I leave the timer alone and keep it on 12/12 with a cfl on 24/hr to keep em in veg, saves on power and keeps the meter from spinning/noise during the time of the day I do not want noise.. don't care if they grow a little slower, its fast enough running all that light.. "think outdoors".

P

pacog

Pacog are you saying that mother nature is wrong? You are misinterpreting what they are saying. Just because things happen during light doesn't mean nothing happens at night.

They don't track days they track nights. Stuff goes on at night besides growing.

You are speaking from a total indoor point of view.

Why isn't a 1 week to 6 week veg a fair comparison? The DD MPB you referenced had a 3 week veg. So for the same power I could veg for 18 weeks. Then put them in his system. They would be bigger. But I can't comment on that thread because last time I added my thoughts I was banned for a week.

Are you a practitioner of a dark period before harvest? If you are you must be expecting something to happen during the dark period.

Tobor... I never said a thing about 24/0 light period. I just put up quotes for other to base their own opinions on. I don't think i am misinterpreting anything wrong. It's written pretty straight forward. Also it is Talking about Vegging stage only.

I am speaking from a total Indoor growing stand point Which this the Only option for the Majority of MMJ Farmers. And Indoors we are Mother Nature.

Outdoors is a totally different ball game. I have played before as well.

As for Veg Comparisons. You want to compare plants you should compare plants that are similar age. Not based on Electrical Use. What sort of Comparison basis is that? The reason I use higher wattage Bulbs is to Achieve the Most amount of growth in the shortest amount of time. The Cash cropper line won't work for this reasoning. Many love the plant for various reasons. Not everyone is in to Cash crop.

18 Weeks VEG. Holy Cow man( I guess if you have the time). DD's is is done form Start to finish in less time 13 weeks for 10 week strains. You Could do 2 Harvest in the same amount of time with 49-56 day strains, in the time it would take you to run 1 complete. I seriously doubt you would be able to match the production from 2 harvest with your 1st 18week veg plus 8 week Flowering plants. With the same Number of plants per harvest.

If energy savings is what you are trying to get cool. But to produce the tree's in the end you would still need to run the same amount of electricity to get similar final output Numbers. So your 18 Week veg saves very little in the Long run. Just gives you 10-15 more weeks than necessary of Veg time. IMO

I harvest right before the lights come on. All info so far points to this being the best time to harvest. The Flowering Period is Much Different than the Veg Period as far as Light periods is Concerned. The Plants entire function changes when the Lights are Flipped to 12/12

F

farmerjohn

Brings up an interesting question concerning the auto-flower varieties. Do they benefit from extra light, something less than 24, or is their no difference?

Maybe u veg to the point u want quicker using 24. That has been my experience, but for many reasons, one being I want @ least 6 hours a day with no wattage being used, I prefer 18/6.

The Winter only option is sound. 24 Keeps the area warmer, easier.

Have to agree that placement is more important than which cycle is best. Heat is a problem in Summer, so lights off as much as possible & still get the job done. Either way putting the plants close enuff to grow healthy & strong, but far enuff away to avoid burn, is paramount.

Vegging, IMHO, is an attempt to grow strong enuff root systems to stand the rigors of weeks of 12/12 & all that entails. Promoting sturdy roots is my mantra from 1st cut or bean pop until the lights go 12/12. Anyone who does not measure up is quickly dispatched & replaced by a well rooted competitor. This "rule of roots" covers any size container from the smallest cube to the 18" monsters.

R

Ruff Ruffman

18/6 is my vote for vegging and mothers under 20/4..IMhumbleO

D

Dr. Spaceman

I don't know if anybody has mentioned this, so I am sorry if people have already been harping you over it, but why are you using a 1000W HPS for veg? out of necessity?

If you want high intensity light on your plants, the spectrum of a MH is better suited to job than the HPS; and honestly anything more than 400-600W(depending on garden size), would be excessive.

Seriously though all you really need is a good set of flouros in the right spectrum. They will put out plenty of light the first couple of weeks for your babies, and are perfectly fine to use all the way to 12/12.

Back to what this thread is really about though, I'm adding my vote with everybody else... no problem with 24 hour. In my personal experience, the majority of problems originate as operator error... eliminate that, and your ladies should take off just like nature intended :passingjoint:

C

Crom1904

Ok I just go with an 18/6 schedule with a 1000 watt mh for veg . I just dont see the need for 24 hour lighting In my opinion I think it stresses the plants a little . they need a little time to rest lol

C

Crom1904

I would def try to swith to a mh light over the hps for veg it has a better lighting spect for veg and hps is alot better for flowering

P

Purpose420

id say the 1k 2 ft away is roastin your plants. we have a veg spot with a 1k MH, lamps 4ft or better away from the tops of the plants, and they grow great.

if your gonna keep the lamp that close ya need to really move the air around. also ya might need to cool the room, or put the lamp in a cooled hood or tube.

18/6 works well when gettin clones ready to go outside early spring. seems a plant will start to flower outside when usin 24hrs, then they reveg and flower again which wastes alot of grow time.

im with everyone on the 24hr schedule, dont think its killin plants.

CBF

I'm kind of seeing the same thing in a set of seedlings that I transplanted and started 24/7 right off the bat... But I'm sure if his issue is the same.

E

EliteGrown

i tried 24 hour veg for a week plants were just super stressed, looked drained and i even lost 2 because of it. 18-20 hrs max that 4 to 6 hrs of pitch dark is needed. when i turn the lights on in the morning they always just look bigger and healthier compared to when i wake up in the morning and look at them from a 24 hr they look stressed. im using 1000w hps bout 2 ft away. who agrees who disagrees?
I disagree strongly with people doing 24 hrs. It’s not going to harm your plants at all. Just personal opinion based off science.

When dark periods are given for Plant Sleep. They use the energy they absorb during the “day” to put it to an easy term “grow” while lights are off”

20-4 light schedule will give you a tighter/closer node/head spacing.

18-6 will give you more spacing.

However if you continuously fim or top your plants then you will have a crazy amount of head. I been doing 16-9 to save on my bill as I operate a lot of rooms. And plants do great. Going near 13-14 hours might be pushing it and confuse them. Continuously fim and top is key. And give them some rest if you want them to stretch!

Top Bottom