I Used Bleach To Clean,is The Gas From It Dangerous Or Can Add Something To A Plant?

• Thread starter Sparkley
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Sparkley

The story is,i found spidermites in the closet i had 4 plant in veg,i got panic since i have a couple of really nice girls done in just a couple of weeks in a growtent in the same room so rushed to the store and bought bleach.
In the middle of all this i cut the plants in veg,and used ALOT of bleach in a bucket with like 4-5L water and started to scrub everything in the room.I had the windows opened alot so fresh air could push in the room.
The question is,is my girls in flower okay?.
Today,about 24h later,i can´t see any different on them but i´m afraid to smoke since it says on the bottle "can provide toxic gas" and that´s certanly stuff you don´t want in the smoke,right?.But is it some way for the gas to stick to the plant?.
I know i sound like an idiot,but i´m not really good with chemichals and i learned my lesson to never ever use something like that again.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Won’t blow up. Do some freaking laundry man! Make sure it’s your whitty titeys though. It’ll ruin your blue jeans. Don’t spill it on your plants, don’t drink it. And for gods sake man read the directions and warnings on the freaking bottle!
1D1

S

Sparkley

Won’t blow up. Do some freaking laundry man! Make sure it’s your whitty titeys though. It’ll ruin your blue jeans. Don’t spill it on your plants, don’t drink it. And for gods sake man read the directions and warnings on the freaking bottle!
1D1

I´m not that good at english but if i understand you correct,this shouldn´t be a problem at all?.
I have never done something as dumb as this before to my garden,i feel like a complete idiot and i´m in shame tbh.
Thank you very much for taking the time to answer me,i appreaciate it man!.

B

Burned Haze

Get physan20 or SaniDate 5.0

No reason to use bleach in agriculture in any way!

S

Sparkley

Get physan20 or SaniDate 5.0

No reason to use bleach in agriculture in any way!

Yeah i can totally see that now after everything,but then and there i was just in panicmode and ready to whatever when i saw the Spidermites crawling around and bleach was the first thing i saw when i googled.
But now when it don´t seem to be any harm done to my girls i feel so relifed i can´t even describe,i´ve seen ppl talk about that they bleach inside the growtent even meanwhile their plants are in there,so it should be safe.
Thanks for the tips mate!

B

Burned Haze

Anther tip is, use h202 dilluated to 3-5% (get the 35-37% bottles so it’s not a rip-off) and use that for the first step cleaning, step 2 : apply phythan20 or sanidate 5.0 sprayed on everything that’s not electrical ( I do it every 7 days)

Clean wipe the dust/nastiness off, step 2 sanitize it and have a defense

S

Sparkley

I was asking a guy on youtube that have a growshow and he said like "If the toxic gas can spread in the air i guess it will be able to attach to your plants,but i´m not sure about it,i would defenetly wash my plants".
What do i think about that,i´m really sad if the crop is lost since it was my last one but wouldn´t be that of a big deal if i have to throw it away since i rahter do that then smoke something toxic.

Is there anyone here that actually have any knowledge about this,i don´t disstrust 1diesel1s answer at all but i´m really concerned about this so if someone with knowledge just could explain why or why not it would be toxic to smoke it i would be so grateful.
Thanks in advance!This seems like a helpful forum with great ppl after i read some threads here,much love to all of u!.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
Dude i had ocd and this is exactly how i used to get about most things but in this case i don’t think you will have a problem. People use diluted bleach in their hydro reservoirs for sanitation. Also people use this shit in their homes. Those fumes only can cause problems in a poorly ventilated area and prolonged exposure. There is another way too, if you mix it with ammonia it will produce chlorine gas :). Other than that i don’t think you will have any problems. If you haven’t scrubbed the plants with bleach at least :D
But i am trying to grow organic as i can so i try to keep this hazardous chemicals away as much as i can from my grow. I use h2o2 too because it produces nothing more than water and o2 (of course there are trace chemicals in there too but that is negligable, also i always go over it with clean water and dry towel after that).

S

Sparkley

Dude i had ocd and this is exactly how i used to get about most things but in this case i don’t think you will have a problem. People use diluted bleach in their hydro reservoirs for sanitation. Also people use this shit in their homes. Those fumes only can cause problems in a poorly ventilated area and prolonged exposure. There is another way too, if you mix it with ammonia it will produce chlorine gas :). Other than that i don’t think you will have any problems. If you haven’t scrubbed the plants with bleach at least :D
But i am trying to grow organic as i can so i try to keep this hazardous chemicals away as much as i can from my grow. I use h2o2 too because it produces nothing more than water and o2 (of course there are trace chemicals in there too but that is negligable, also i always go over it with clean water and dry towel after that).

Yeah i have gone kinda crazy with this i know but like as you i try to grow organic and try to be careful with what i smoke but when i saw thoose spidermites in my garden it felt like someone was threating my family to life so it just went black to my eyes and i was like "i´m gonna kill thoose mites right now whatever it takes" and my brain didn´t work at all for a while there.
If someone would have asked me one day before "would you ever use bleach in your room where you have a growtent?" my answer would be "NEVER" without even know exactly why except i know it´s chemicals and that would´ve been enough :P .
And ofcourse i didn´t scrub the plants xD ,but the whole bedroom and everything in it except the tent,beacuse the mites was in a closet and i didn´t want them to make it to the tent.
And for the record,the airflow is really good in both the tent and the whole room since i had both the windows opened meanwhile i scrubbed the room.
So lets say the plants have got some brezees with the smell of bleach and whatever is in it on them.
Thanks for your answer mate and i will actually read about OCD,that dosen´t sound to far from describe me sometimes.

B

Burned Haze

If your going to do bleach, here’s the official guidelines for agriculture (people never read the rules or manuals and realize they are doing stuff wrong)

——

If you have spider mites ( do you have a 60x-100x scope)? If webbed than you def have a mid-higher ranged population, but figure out what kind of mite it is, it truely the difference from wining the battles to failing.

Step 2 would be is get 2-5 rotational (safe choices/ different things so the pest cannot become resistant/certain stages some pesticides work better) pesticides . i would suggest azaguard,PyGanic 5.0 ,venerate xc,grandevo , pfr97 ( must raise humidity , can mix with grandevo, and BotaniGard ), if you got a predator mite to guarantee the mites/pests were conquered I would suggest Amblyseius Cucumeris (very broad attacking and a great predator mite)

In the future, IPM is the key cause once you have pest, you lose crop and you got a headache, why spend so much time and effort on your crop to not have a good preventive plan and guarantee things can’t go out of control and if any pest do occur, it’s no big deal cause your on it.

S

Sparkley

If your going to do bleach, here’s the official guidelines for agriculture (people never read the rules or manuals and realize they are doing stuff wrong)

——

If you have spider mites ( do you have a 60x-100x scope)? If webbed than you def have a mid-higher ranged population, but figure out what kind of mite it is, it truely the difference from wining the battles to failing.

Step 2 would be is get 2-5 rotational (safe choices/ different things so the pest cannot become resistant/certain stages some pesticides work better) pesticides . i would suggest azaguard,PyGanic 5.0 ,venerate xc,grandevo , pfr97 ( must raise humidity , can mix with grandevo, and BotaniGard ), if you got a predator mite to guarantee the mites/pests were conquered I would suggest Amblyseius Cucumeris (very broad attacking and a great predator mite)

In the future, IPM is the key cause once you have pest, you lose crop and you got a headache, why spend so much time and effort on your crop to not have a good preventive plan and guarantee things can’t go out of control and if any pest do occur, it’s no big deal cause your on it.

Yeah i had a scope and watched them crawl around,i also saw some eggs.But i cut thoose plants and as i described bleached the whole room and put a couple of fans up beacuse i read they didn´t like it windy and that would make it harder for them to reproduce.
In the flowertent i haven´t seen any of thoose,now when i have read some about spidermites i´m almost certain that it was a mild infestation cause i haven´t got any plant or cuttings from any other grower and they would be the worst if i understood it correct and they were´nt that many.
I reacted to my leaf started to go yellow in some spots and looked really weird to me and after i understood it wasn´t any nutrientsproblem i turned on a couple of leaf and saw one and then started to watch all leafs on the plants and they was on all 4.
As you wrote,next time i will be prepared and have a plan if something like this happens.
Thank you for all the good advises mate!.

This was the bottle i used https://www.mat.se/butik/klorrent-nopa-15l .
I´m so confused but i start to get it,i think i used clorhine not bleach,i thought it was the same cause the person i asked what the name of it on english is said "oh it´s called bleach".

I just can´t smoke this when it´s done,i actually gonna throw this away i´m pretty sure,i would be way to paraniod when i smoke it.
But i have learned an expensive lesson,my feeling to start from scratch again now when i had some nice cuttings,plants in veg just a week or two for thoose 4 to go to flower and thoose six nice girls in the tent almost done,all gone.Fk i´m sad now but i´m all about better safe then sorry :/

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Yeah i had a scope and watched them crawl around,i also saw some eggs.But i cut thoose plants and as i described bleached the whole room and put a couple of fans up beacuse i read they didn´t like it windy and that would make it harder for them to reproduce.
In the flowertent i haven´t seen any of thoose,now when i have read some about spidermites i´m almost certain that it was a mild infestation cause i haven´t got any plant or cuttings from any other grower and they would be the worst if i understood it correct and they were´nt that many.
I reacted to my leaf started to go yellow in some spots and looked really weird to me and after i understood it wasn´t any nutrientsproblem i turned on a couple of leaf and saw one and then started to watch all leafs on the plants and they was on all 4.
As you wrote,next time i will be prepared and have a plan if something like this happens.
Thank you for all the good advises mate!.

This was the bottle i used https://www.mat.se/butik/klorrent-nopa-15l .
I´m so confused but i start to get it,i think i used clorhine not bleach,i thought it was the same cause the person i asked what the name of it on english is said "oh it´s called bleach".

I just can´t smoke this when it´s done,i actually gonna throw this away i´m pretty sure,i would be way to paraniod when i smoke it.
But i have learned an expensive lesson,my feeling to start from scratch again now when i had some nice cuttings,plants in veg just a week or two for thoose 4 to go to flower and thoose six nice girls in the tent almost done,all gone.Fk i´m sad now but i´m all about better safe then sorry :/
Dude have you read the paper he posted? There are directions to use it on raw fruit and veggies you are going to eat. True not ideal for me, i would never eat any veggies washed with bleach but since you didnt get any on the plants and used it in a well ventilated area, i would urge you not to throw those out. I am sure they are safe to smoke. But its your call. Also if i read correctly, at the end the vapor you are getting is chlorine gas, true bad for you and your plants with prolomged exposure but it is the same shit you use to dissinfect tap water. I use tap water with my plants and there is always residual chlorine in it, never had a problem with my buds. Even if they got a wiff of chlorine gas hit them on the surface what do you think it will happen?

Last edited:
S

Sparkley

Dude have you read the paper he posted? There are directions to use it on raw fruit and veggies you are going to eat. True not ideal for me, i would never eat any veggies washed with bleach but since you didnt get any on the plants and used it in a well ventilated area, i would urge you not to throw those out. I am sure they are safe to smoke. But its your call. Also if i read correctly, at the end the vapor you are getting is chlorine gas, true bad for you and your plants with prolomged exposure but it is the same shit you use to dissinfect tap water. I use tap water with my plants and there is always residual chlorine in it, never had a problem with my buds. Even if they got a wiff of chlorine gas hit them on the surface what do you think it will happen?

Yeah i´ve read it quickly,but i´m thinking there´s a difference in eat and smoke it?.
That´s actually true and i haven´t thinking about that it´s actually clorhine in the tapwater as you say.
What i´m afraid of is that the gas somehow would have attached to the plant,and when i smoke it i get it in my lungs and get sick.
I will not throw them away then,the reason i got that feeling yesterday was that i read what you said about clorhine gas,and then i understood i used clorhine,but when i opened the link i saw that name clorhinebleach,i have to read more about that,i thought it was two different things.I´ve never used thoose chemichals ever in my life to anything so i have no clue about what it is.
Edit:I didn´t rinsed the clorhine off after i used it on everything,only on the floor.I did rinsed it off the day after as soon as i read about it,it dried so quickly everywhere since i had the windows opened.

Thanks you very much for taking the time to answer my questions and stuff mate!
Have a nice day!

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
What you ısed is probably chlorine bleach. Most bleaches are unless stated chlorine-free on the bottle.
The reason it dried so fast is because it turn into a gas very quickly and since you had your windows open no biggie. When you were scrubbing everywhere with bleach, thats when it got into your lungs. Chlorine is not going to attach itself on buds and get into your lungs with smoke. It doesn’t work that way.

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

The story is,i found spidermites in the closet i had 4 plant in veg,i got panic since i have a couple of really nice girls done in just a couple of weeks in a growtent in the same room so rushed to the store and bought bleach.
In the middle of all this i cut the plants in veg,and used ALOT of bleach in a bucket with like 4-5L water and started to scrub everything in the room.I had the windows opened alot so fresh air could push in the room.
The question is,is my girls in flower okay?.
Today,about 24h later,i can´t see any different on them but i´m afraid to smoke since it says on the bottle "can provide toxic gas" and that´s certanly stuff you don´t want in the smoke,right?.But is it some way for the gas to stick to the plant?.
I know i sound like an idiot,but i´m not really good with chemichals and i learned my lesson to never ever use something like that again.
cleaning grow room with bleach won't harm your plants.iv seen people use bleach in theyr reservoir before to tackle slime and root rot although it was in very small amounts.

S

Sparkley

What you ısed is probably chlorine bleach. Most bleaches are unless stated chlorine-free on the bottle.
The reason it dried so fast is because it turn into a gas very quickly and since you had your windows open no biggie. When you were scrubbing everywhere with bleach, thats when it got into your lungs. Chlorine is not going to attach itself on buds and get into your lungs with smoke. It doesn’t work that way.

cleaning grow room with bleach won't harm your plants.iv seen people use bleach in theyr reservoir before to tackle slime and root rot although it was in very small amounts.

Thanks guys,it feels alot better when more and more people confirm that there isn´t a problem,i´ve learned alot both on spidermites,cleaning growrooms and bleach thanks to all of you that answered me,really thanks!.
I´ve always cleaned my growspaces with only hot tapwater and never had any problem with bugs and i have around 6 crops behind me so i´ve got a bit lazy on learning about that part,wich obv was a mistake looking back on how i acted in this situation.
If i would´ve knew what i know now i would have done things different i can tell you,but you live and learn.
I´m happy i can keep this crop since it acutally is the first one i´m really proud of and i can compare to what i pics of on forums like this.
Again,thanks to everyone taking your time to answer,happy grows to all of you out there!.

Top Bottom