I'm Looking For A Good Camera.

• Thread starter juggernaut
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I don't
As far as it concerns me, it would be mostly outdoor. For simple Youtube videos I'm pretty sure I have that covered with my Pentax KS1. It doesnt

Kind Sir, I have the talent. I can be passionate about something and still be in it for the money.

Please excuse the upper response. I did not realise I hadn't erased it all.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

My apologies. I can't tell who is asking for advice or who is giving it anymore...LOL

You were quite a bit low on the age too, lol. Just FYI. Some may take that as an insult, I don't. I am very youthful.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

My apologies. I can't tell who is asking for advice or who is giving it anymore...LOL

I actually do have a question and with your background, maybe you can help me.

It's with the viewfinder on my Pentax. I can see my subject clear when I look through my 55-300mm lens but when I look through my 18-55mm at any reasonable distance, say 15'+, it's so far away I can't see to focus. I fiddled with the viewfinder adjustment as well with not much improvement. I wear pretty strong prescription glasses that I think are polarized. When I take them off I can't use the view finder at all. I'm betting I'll need reading glasses here soon too.

Do you know if there is a magnifier for a viewfinder. I think my 18mm-55mm bundled lens is probably garbage. Even the AF has trouble with it and it works excellently with the 300. I was planning on upgrading the 55, but not quite this soon. Is it possible that the 55 is damaged even if it's still taking clean pictures. Wouldn't a viewfinder problem also be a lens problem if the viewfinder is integrated?

tekmunki

tekmunki

It's with the viewfinder on my Pentax. I can see my subject clear when I look through my 55-300mm lens but when I look through my 18-55mm at any reasonable distance, say 15'+, it's so far away I can't see to focus. I fiddled with the viewfinder adjustment as well with not much improvement. I wear pretty strong prescription glasses that I think are polarized. When I take them off I can't use the view finder at all. I'm betting I'll need reading glasses here soon too.

Do you know if there is a magnifier for a viewfinder. I think my 18mm-55mm bundled lens is probably garbage. Even the AF has trouble with it and it works excellently with the 300. I was planning on upgrading the 55, but not quite this soon. Is it possible that the 55 is damaged even if it's still taking clean pictures. Wouldn't a viewfinder problem also be a lens problem if the viewfinder is integrated?
You might want to check the rear element glass in the 18-55mm and make sure there isn't any smudging or residue on the glass. I've had this happen before, giant thumb print right on the back of the lense that made everything all blurry. Another option would be to use the live view mode the ks1 should have it. Using live view see if you still have problems focusing and if so it may infact be the lens. The way the pentaprism DSLRs work is there is a mirror covering the sensor that reflects the image coming through the lens and the reflection is seen through the optical view finder. When you press the shutter butter the mirror flips away exposing the sensor and that's why the view finder goes black for a moment. So using live view doesn't use the mirror at all so it'll help rule that out.

They do make view finder magnifiers that clip on but using the live view and magnifying using something like a hood man loupe would give you a much bigger image to work off of.
Hnch32

D

Deplorable

Oooh...good question(s). There are a lot of variables at play and polarization is one of them. I wear high end sunglasses which pretty much render phone, tablet, rear window and EVFs useless. The polarization, depending on what is in between the subject and the image plane can create a moire effect and all sorts of strange effects.

I'm assuming you've been over the glass and there are no visible defects or coatings or anything between the objectives inside the barrel.

Fortunately, I don't need glasses other than light readers as of late. I have a light diopter setting on my camera. Honestly, I like manual focus, and it has a great assist that highlights the edges of the focus plane. Anyhow...If you have thick prescription glasses, I am not the best person to answer that question.

Stupid question - Have you cleaned everything in the camera, including the viewfinder under good lighting?

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Oooh...good question(s). There are a lot of variables at play and polarization is one of them. I wear high end sunglasses which pretty much render phone, tablet, rear window and EVFs useless. The polarization, depending on what is in between the subject and the image plane can create a moire effect and all sorts of strange effects.

I'm assuming you've been over the glass and there are no visible defects or coatings or anything between the objectives inside the barrel.

Fortunately, I don't need glasses other than light readers as of late. I have a light diopter setting on my camera. Honestly, I like manual focus, and it has a great assist that highlights the edges of the focus plane. Anyhow...If you have thick prescription glasses, I am not the best person to answer that question.

Stupid question - Have you cleaned everything in the camera, including the viewfinder under good lighting?

Yeah, I didn't order polarized glasses and they're wearing on my eyes. I used to be full time contact lenses but the same place did the contacts and talked me into a new brand that ended up drying out my eyes. I'm getting it sorted soon. The right contacts feel natural and are far better than glasses, imo. (I went see a 3D movie so I changed into my contacts in the parking lot before I went in. I couldn't see 3D for the first half hour.)

The camera is immaculate. Which is not easy to maintain with all the red clay and granite dust. There is no defect I could see. It takes good pictures but the subjects are too far away in the viewfinder to accurately focus. I don't know whether it's because its a cheap lens or if a mechanism is broken that zooms the viewfinder. The viewfinder zooms properly on the 300mm. On MF my camera flashes me little red blips as I cycle through focus points in the viewfinder. Gives me an audio signal and shows me the location of the point of focus. Sounds similar.

I'll go by a camera shop and try a higher quality 55. I'm betting it'll work right. The bundled lens really is garbage.

I'll figure it out. Thanks for your input.

D

Deplorable

Yeah, I didn't order polarized glasses and they're wearing on my eyes. I used to be full time contact lenses but the same place did the contacts and talked me into a new brand that ended up drying out my eyes. I'm getting it sorted soon. The right contacts feel natural and are far better than glasses, imo. (I went see a 3D movie so I changed into my contacts in the parking lot before I went in. I couldn't see 3D for the first half hour.)

The camera is immaculate. Which is not easy to maintain with all the red clay and granite dust. There is no defect I could see. It takes good pictures but the subjects are too far away in the viewfinder to accurately focus. I don't know whether it's because its a cheap lens or if a mechanism is broken that zooms the viewfinder. The viewfinder zooms properly on the 300mm. On MF my camera flashes me little red blips as I cycle through focus points in the viewfinder. Gives me an audio signal and shows me the location of the point of focus. Sounds similar.

I'll go by a camera shop and try a higher quality 55. I'm betting it'll work right. The bundled lens really is garbage.

I'll figure it out. Thanks for your input.

Bundled lens. That may be your issue.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Bundled lens. That may be your issue.
It is. Took some shots of a storm rolling in this morning. The 300mm was a dream. But the 55 was an absolute pain in the ass. It doesnt come close to reaching the same spot where the 300 is pulled all the way back to 55. It doesnt have the range it should. I have been able to finess it into a lot of nice close-up shots though. I need to get a new lens and download the 300pg manual. Thanks again.

Top Bottom