Incogneato's Veg(ina) Box

• Thread starter incogneato
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
EventHorizan

EventHorizan

I haven't over watered yet because I've read so much about that being the biggest mistake newbs make. Basically just a you described but without the nutes lol. This watering had some bio root which is 1:1:1 but that's it. Now I'll treat them as being in coco.
You won't have to worry about any of this if you use a tub/tote and let it wick it up.. takes all this bs out the equation. .. but he is right nevertheless, 20% run off when top feeding.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Good idea, had to change how I deal with em now that I know that I'm running coco lol.
Yes it was a hard lesson for me to but one you need to grow thru :)
Just be patient. Once we got you a foot above ground then I will teach all about making it bushy, lst, etc...

We just need to get you out of seedling stage first... Just follow my direction and I promise you we will succeed! Find a tub/tote and air pump and air stone.. We get you set up where it grows on its own tha the way reducing the chance of you making any newbie mistakes

incogneato

incogneato

Yes it was a hard lesson for me to but one you need to grow thru :)
Just be patient. Once we got you a foot above ground then I will teach all about making it bushy, lst, etc...

We just need to get you out of seedling stage first... Just follow my direction and I promise you we will succeed! Find a tub/tote and air pump and air stone.. We get you set up where it grows on its own tha the way reducing the chance of you making any newbie mistakes
Good news is I have a pump,stone and a tote so I can do that tonight. Thanks for the help

incogneato

incogneato

Bubbled up a batch of 1/4 strenght nftg advanced line for the gals yesterday. Also threw in some bio root and a touch of molasses. After a nice 24 hour bubble they all got a drink until 30% runoff. Everybody also got a small foliar of bloom kaos. The nutes were ph'd at 6.0 and had a ppm of 250. They are all responding much better now that I know my medium lol.
20161017 055807
canna haze in front and hgk in the back
20161017 055819
R.K.S in the front, pink dieselx amnesia auto in the middle and spliffs strawberry in the back

incogneato

incogneato

The hgk has roots coming out of the bottom of the cup so an up pot may not be far off. I'm going to give the seedlings another week of cfl and then go to my 600w mh.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

The hgk has roots coming out of the bottom of the cup so an up pot may not be far off. I'm going to give the seedlings another week of cfl and then go to my 600w mh.
Don't do that! No hid light for awhile. That would be like leaving a baby in the sun. Move that damn CFL up off of them a few more inches. Did you just water the plants before you took pics? Don't water them solo c ups for 2 days. Don't up pot anything. Just move that light up a 6 inches and leave them alone for 48hrs. Your stems look purple. I believe over w atering. The leaves are droopy. Too much water around the newly fresh root ball. Let it dry but get that light up off it first. Listen to me and I will get these plants going for you....I promise. Make your Lil bubbler like I told you.. to me it is the difference weather you succeed or not.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Water EVERY time with nutes... Use 1ml of calimag, mixed first, then 25% of your veg nutes till day 21, and make sure you use this every time you water. From now 9th when I say water, that means water that has nutes in it. NEVER STRAIGHT WATER... Not even when flushing!!!!!!!!!. You will ruin the properties that make coco, coco.... Honestly. .. Here is what I would do until they are 15" tall...

I would get you a little tote. Mix up your nutes and put in tote. Set solo cups in tote. Put air stone in tote. Add a gallon of nutes when ever it gets low... let the coco wick the feed up from out the tote. It's by far the easiest and simplistic. .... If you need I will post a pic for you. The tote that 8th using only is 8 or so inches deep. Any shallow tub will work. Don't top water the plants. Let them wick it up themselves. PH 6.1 Imo is best for coco and veg. ..5.8 ph I need flower.
May I intervene a sec? I'm a little concerned with the wicking up with the coco being in a constant wet enviro . If I understood your suggestion you mix nutes and bubble them to keep DO (dissolved oxygen ) up. Thats cool. If you are suggesting to put the plants in a nutrient bath via a tote or tub 24/7 and allow to wick up from the bottom my concern is setting up a breeding ground for pathogens and worse yet a breeding ground for RA (root aphids)

If I am misunderstanding your technique I apologize in advance. Peace

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
In addition, like @EventHorizan mentioned you will need to "harden off" your starts when making the transition from CFL to HID lighting. If you blast them with 600w HID too close you will fry them puppies up in a heartbeat.

Put your HID up at least 4-5 ft above the plants and only slowing move them a little bit each week to allow them to acclimate to the intensity and heat difference. If they start to stretch too much this will be a sign that you can move your light closer. Rule of thumb is put your hand right at canopy level and leave it there a minute or 2 and if you can leave your hand there with no discomfort then the plant will be able to handle it. I would suggest to go slow with the hardening over 5-10 days. Hope this helps. Oh heres another tip if you are using a thermometer to track your temps in the tent. Be sure to have your thermometer at canopy level and as close to the canopy as possible. Reason being is, if the thermo is out on the sidelines and not at canopy level you wont be getting an accurate temp reading as the temps may be 5-15 deg hotter at the leaf surface than what your thermo is reading due to its placement. Make sense??

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

May I intervene a sec? I'm a little concerned with the wicking up with the coco being in a constant wet enviro . If I understood your suggestion you mix nutes and bubble them to keep DO (dissolved oxygen ) up. Thats cool. If you are suggesting to put the plants in a nutrient bath via a tote or tub 24/7 and allow to wick up from the bottom my concern is setting up a breeding ground for pathogens and worse yet a breeding ground for RA (root aphids)

If I am misunderstanding your technique I apologize in advance. Peace
Sorry I'm at work. I will explain further tonight when 8 get home.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Bubbled up a batch of 1/4 strenght nftg advanced line for the gals yesterday. Also threw in some bio root and a touch of molasses. After a nice 24 hour bubble they all got a drink until 30% runoff. Everybody also got a small foliar of bloom kaos. The nutes were ph'd at 6.0 and had a ppm of 250. They are all responding much better now that I know my medium lol.View attachment 640635canna haze in front and hgk in the back
View attachment 640636 R.K.S in the front, pink dieselx amnesia auto in the middle and spliffs strawberry in the back

Never foliar spray them with the lights on, every water droplet on the leaves becomes a magnifying glass and makes little burnt spots. If you keep doing it your next post will be, what are these yellow spots and why are my plants dying. I only foliar spray if I am applying pest control.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
I don't foliar ever.
My plants don't know what rain feels like :smug:

I like to keep the water/nutrients moving from the roots to the leaves then from the leaves into the air. All the plants get is put into the soil.

I'm not saying one method is better than the other. Just saying what I do personally.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
I don't foliar ever.
My plants don't know what rain feels like :smug:

I like to keep the water/nutrients moving from the roots to the leaves then from the leaves into the air. All the plants get is put into the soil.

I'm not saying one method is better than the other. Just saying what I do personally.
Same here, last time I foliar sprayed I had spider mites.

incogneato

incogneato

Don't do that! No hid light for awhile. That would be like leaving a baby in the sun. Move that damn CFL up off of them a few more inches. Did you just water the plants before you took pics? Don't water them solo c ups for 2 days. Don't up pot anything. Just move that light up a 6 inches and leave them alone for 48hrs. Your stems look purple. I believe over w atering. The leaves are droopy. Too much water around the newly fresh root ball. Let it dry but get that light up off it first. Listen to me and I will get these plants going for you....I promise. Make your Lil bubbler like I told you.. to me it is the difference weather you succeed or not.
Lol, I'm not over watering. They were drooping because the coco got dry. I feed every 3-6 days as the coco dries.I had just finished feeding before the pic. Cfls have to be close to be effective. I do the back of the hand test daily. I'm still reading on the bubbler but I do have everything to make it tho. I appreciate your help bro, its nice to have support

incogneato

incogneato

In addition, like @EventHorizan mentioned you will need to "harden off" your starts when making the transition from CFL to HID lighting. If you blast them with 600w HID too close you will fry them puppies up in a heartbeat.

Put your HID up at least 4-5 ft above the plants and only slowing move them a little bit each week to allow them to acclimate to the intensity and heat difference. If they start to stretch too much this will be a sign that you can move your light closer. Rule of thumb is put your hand right at canopy level and leave it there a minute or 2 and if you can leave your hand there with no discomfort then the plant will be able to handle it. I would suggest to go slow with the hardening over 5-10 days. Hope this helps. Oh heres another tip if you are using a thermometer to track your temps in the tent. Be sure to have your thermometer at canopy level and as close to the canopy as possible. Reason being is, if the thermo is out on the sidelines and not at canopy level you wont be getting an accurate temp reading as the temps may be 5-15 deg hotter at the leaf surface than what your thermo is reading due to its placement. Make sense??
Thanks for the help bro! I will definitely follow those steps when its time to do so. Its pretty much what I had planned

incogneato

incogneato

Never foliar spray them with the lights on, every water droplet on the leaves becomes a magnifying glass and makes little burnt spots. If you keep doing it your next post will be, what are these yellow spots and why are my plants dying. I only foliar spray if I am applying pest control.
:cry: So true! In my defense it was 10 min before lights out tho.

incogneato

incogneato

Same here, last time I foliar sprayed I had spider mites.
That's the first foliar feeding I tried, so you guys don't foliar at all? Good to know. You know when your on your first grow you want to try every thing you've read instead of k.i.s.s lol I was following the suggested feeding chart for nftg advanced line.

incogneato

incogneato

20161017 191412
Current situation, added 2 more cfl for a total of 7 5,000k and one 2,700k all 60w equivalent. Bad pic but it's 78° and 62 rh right by the tops. They are really happy I discovered I was in a soiless mix and not soil. There has been a big change in growth and color over the course of a week

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

View attachment 640758Current situation, added 2 more cfl for a total of 7 5,000k and one 2,700k all 60w equivalent. Bad pic but it's 78° and 62 rh right by the tops. They are really happy I discovered I was in a soiless mix and not soil. There has been a big change in growth and color over the course of a week
Sorry I was trying to hurry up and post to you this morning and I think it came off rude sounding. If it did my apology!
As for the bubbler, I am only having him do that for a couple weeks, so that we can get some growth out of them.
Now on to the cfl light. Brother I can see they have yo0u really confused. That is the problem with so much info. I am gonna give you a run down on lights and distance. When your seedling first pops ground, you got to dang near put the cfl on top of them or they will stretch till they fall over. But after a few days, second set a true leaves back it off a couple inches. How do you know if your the right distance away? Well here is how i check. Do I have any stretching or is the nodes right on top of each other? Are my top leaves coming in miniturized? Are my leaves getting bigger uniformly as the plant gets taller. You mentioned that you had a root at the bottom of the solo cup, well then it will air prune itself and start the branching of roots. How big of buds you get has a direct correlation to your root mass. Make the plants grow to the cfl. Put it 8 inches away and if they start to stretch to much then use 6 inches, etc...
See the thing is brother we can only help you understand how to care for your plants but its up to you to build a relationship with them... Im here to help you as much as I can!

Also the distance of your cfl in veg is what im talking about. In flower i would have them as close as I could get with out burning them. But you have the hps so no need to worry about that. See I think you read where ppl say you need them up on them close, and you do, but more importainly in flower thqat rings true..

Hope that shed some light on my advice....

incogneato

incogneato

Sorry I was trying to hurry up and post to you this morning and I think it came off rude sounding. If it did my apology!
As for the bubbler, I am only having him do that for a couple weeks, so that we can get some growth out of them.
Now on to the cfl light. Brother I can see they have yo0u really confused. That is the problem with so much info. I am gonna give you a run down on lights and distance. When your seedling first pops ground, you got to dang near put the cfl on top of them or they will stretch till they fall over. But after a few days, second set a true leaves back it off a couple inches. How do you know if your the right distance away? Well here is how i check. Do I have any stretching or is the nodes right on top of each other? Are my top leaves coming in miniturized? Are my leaves getting bigger uniformly as the plant gets taller. You mentioned that you had a root at the bottom of the solo cup, well then it will air prune itself and start the branching of roots. How big of buds you get has a direct correlation to your root mass. Make the plants grow to the cfl. Put it 8 inches away and if they start to stretch to much then use 6 inches, etc...
See the thing is brother we can only help you understand how to care for your plants but its up to you to build a relationship with them... Im here to help you as much as I can!

Also the distance of your cfl in veg is what im talking about. In flower i would have them as close as I could get with out burning them. But you have the hps so no need to worry about that. See I think you read where ppl say you need them up on them close, and you do, but more importainly in flower thqat rings true..

Hope that shed some light on my advice....
Without a doubt bro, I appreciate your help. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom