Buildasoil vs FFOF Soil: Indoor Side By Side Organic Grow Review

• Thread starter Cityfarmin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cityfarmin

Cityfarmin

Hey guys!

So I'm doing a side by side grow using Build a Soil from buildasoil.com and FFOF to see which one works out better.

I'll be using BuildASoil's

LOS OLY which is- Their Living Organic Soil With Oly Mountain Fish Compost (per their site).

Barley Straw Mulch- This barley straw is not certified organic but comes from a local farm (per their site).

Clover Cover Crop White Dutch- Dutch white clover is a slow-growing, nitrogen-fixing perennial.

Geo Pot- One 15 gallon Geo Pot. I like it a lot, its done really well.

1 Bottle Water conditioner to remove unwanted metals, chlorine and chloramine

These are all the items excluding the water conditioner I was gifted by @brazel . Thanks to him I'm able to do this side by side test!

Items I'll be using in the FFOF grow

FFOF Soil, I've added some perlite to it but other than that it was a fresh bag.

Clay pebbles, I'll be using these to top dress so the roots aren't exposed when I water (anyone have other ideas I'm open to trying it out!).

Botanicare Cal-Mag

GH Floranova Bloom, I'll be running this throughout veg and flower as my base (if someone recommends something else as a base I'm up for it and please drop a line).

GH PH UP

GH PH Down

Mammoth P Bloom Booster- I'll only be running this once I flip the lights to 12/12

I may or may not pick up some more cute to help pack on during flower for the FFOF soil run.

Ok so heres my setup.

I have a 250 SQFT sealed room, inside this room I have..

2 Tents, both are 38.50"x38.50"x78-79"

2 Inline 4" fans inside the tents (one in each tent to exhaust heat & scrub the air of any odors)

2 Virgin charcoal filters fitted with white pre filters (one in each room connected to a 4" fan to exhaust heat & scrub the air of any odors).

4 fans, 3 of them are 6" and one is a 10" I think. I setup 2 in each tent to move air around and help the plant build strong stems.

1 Blue Labs PH meter

1 Blue Labs PPM

8000 BTU portable A/C unit running a 6" exhaust fan to carry the heat out a plexiglass hole cut to fit the fan.

In my VEG tent I have a 4' T5 4 bulb fixture running on a timer thats set for 6am-12am (I might be changing the on and off times, but I'll be keeping the 18/6 schedule)

In my FLOWER tent I have a 400w HPS light with a 19" reflector running on a timer thats set for 12pm-12am (I might be changing the on and off times, but I'll stay with 12/12 schedule as well).

I'LL BE USING TAP WATER FOR BOTH PLANTS.

As far as Genetics I'll be running

Gorilla Glue #4- Seed

Green Cookies- Seed

Black Cherry Soda- Clone

So today I got my BuildASoil pack and got right to work.

I cleaned my veg tent ( I have a grow in my flower tent that should be done by middle of December ish).

I added the BuildASoil to the 15 Gal Geo Pot, mixed it up since it came in 2 bags, 1CF each bag. I tossed some of the Clover cover crop White Dutch on the top of the soil and lightly scratched it in, than I place the Barley Straw on top evenly.

I moved onto my FFOF setup. It was pretty easy as I only had to open the bag and mix the soil with some perlite. I did 2-1 ratio.

So for my seeds, the GG#4 and the Green Cookies, I placed them in the a wet paper towel and stuck em in my cloner inside my veg tent to keep them warm and wetish.

I'l going to post pics now and try to keep a daily log unless there isn't much going on.

Let me know what you guys think and if you have any ideas or input as I'm new and just looking to learn as much as I can.

@EventHorizan @Wisher619 @Toph420 @Farmer P hope it was cool tagging you guys!

Buildasoil vs ffof soil indoor side by side organic grow review
Buildasoil vs ffof soil indoor side by side organic grow review 2
Buildasoil vs ffof soil indoor side by side organic grow review 3
Buildasoil vs ffof soil indoor side by side organic grow review 4
Buildasoil vs ffof soil indoor side by side organic grow review 5
Buildasoil vs ffof soil indoor side by side organic grow review 6
Buildasoil vs ffof soil indoor side by side organic grow review 7
Buildasoil vs ffof soil indoor side by side organic grow review 8
Buildasoil vs ffof soil indoor side by side organic grow review 9
Buildasoil vs ffof soil indoor side by side organic grow review 10
Last edited by a moderator:
brazel

brazel

Right on bro, nice set up!
I'm stoked to see these grows!
I'm not too familiar with water conditioner but if it works it works, but if possible get a hydrologic little boy with kdf85 Filter (Amazon 100$) or another filter that removes chlorine, chloramine and heavy metals... like a boogie brew I think they're called or something similar, but don't go for the reverse osmosis filter and this is for the buildasoil grow.

Cityfarmin

Cityfarmin

Right on bro, nice set up!
I'm stoked to see these grows!
I'm not too familiar with water conditioner but if it works it works, but if possible get a hydrologic little boy with kdf85 Filter (Amazon 100$) or another filter that removes chlorine, chloramine and heavy metals... like a boogie brew I think they're called or something similar, but don't go for the reverse osmosis filter and this is for the buildasoil grow.

I’ll look into it! The conditioner I got removed chlorine, chloramine and ammonia, as well as heavy metals, it’s the one for fish tanks, will that work?

brazel

brazel

I have a black cherry soda, love it!!
I've never used Mammoth p but I remember Tad from kis Organics talking about it.
I’ll look into it! The conditioner I got removed chlorine, chloramine and ammonia, as well as heavy metals, it’s the one for fish tanks, will that work?
I literally have no advice or info on Water Conditioner. I know for chlorine you can bubble it out or let it sit and use humic acid for chloramine. What's the ingredients?

Cityfarmin

Cityfarmin

I've never used Mammoth p but I remember Tad from kis Organics talking about it.

I literally have no advice or info on Water Conditioner. I know for chlorine you can bubble it out or let it sit and use humic acid for chloramine. What's the ingredients?
Yea my hydro guy said the mammoth p is great but idk. The ingredients Idk cause I’m home right now and the bottle is at my grow space, I’ll head over there in the morning and take a pic of it for ya

Cityfarmin

Cityfarmin

Yea I’m super excited to run the black cherry soda, I’m just waiting on it to arrive. I got 3 of em! I can’t wait

Smerb

Smerb

Get that tray off the floor if you could asap. As high as a 5 gallon bucket for the Drain. Boo bam.

Cityfarmin

Cityfarmin

Get that tray off the floor if you could asap. As high as a 5 gallon bucket for the Drain. Boo bam.

I’m goign to do the next run. Right now I’m rumnong this side by side and want as much head space as I can get

Smerb

Smerb

????NO
Structural problem.
Loss of valuable head space.
I was just giving a suggestion, why would you want your tray on the floor if your draining it after flooding it? That's what I'm looking at for the grower. The tent I use is 8 ft tall so I lag no head space. Tell me you haven't seen a tray stand??????? Hmmm

Cityfarmin

Cityfarmin

Today I took the seeds out of the paper towels and dropped one into the buildasoil and one into a growers cube. Decided to just go that route after doing some reading and talking to a few growers. Here’s some pics, not much going on but I really wanna keep this grow as up to date as I can.
I was just giving a suggestion, why would you want your tray on the floor if your draining it after flooding it? That's what I'm looking at for the grower. The tent I use is 8 ft tall so I lag no head space. Tell me you haven't seen a tray stand??????? Hmmm

Lol I know brother, sorry if I came off offensive. I meant I bought the trays to keep on the floor cause the round trays they sell to catch the run off take up too much floor space. I got the flood trays to catch the run off and then I decided on my next run I’ll get them off the floor and setup a flood and drain. Right now I’m just hand watering. It’s my second grow so I’m trying to see what works best for me. Also I built a pvc table for the trays, I have 2 trays, one in my veg tent and one in my flower tent.

Smerb

Smerb

Today I took the seeds out of the paper towels and dropped one into the buildasoil and one into a growers cube. Decided to just go that route after doing some reading and talking to a few growers. Here’s some pics, not much going on but I really wanna keep this grow as up to date as I can.

Lol I know brother, sorry if I came off offensive. I meant I bought the trays to keep on the floor cause the round trays they sell to catch the run off take up too much floor space. I got the flood trays to catch the run off and then I decided on my next run I’ll get them off the floor and setup a flood and drain. Right now I’m just hand watering. It’s my second grow so I’m trying to see what works best for me. Also I built a pvc table for the trays, I have 2 trays, one in my veg tent and one in my flower tent.
No offense committed. Sometimes my answers are quick to the point. Or I'll forget something cause I'm Stoney. Keep growing buddy. Let's see them gals.

Cityfarmin

Cityfarmin

No offense committed. Sometimes my answers are quick to the point. Or I'll forget something cause I'm Stoney. Keep growing buddy. Let's see them gals.

I’m looking forward to this grow. I’ve only been growing with floranova bloom and a few other things, this is gonna be my first fully organic grow. So I’m hoping it comes out as planned. Also after this grow I’m gonna setup flood table and res with a pump

Smerb

Smerb

I’m looking forward to this grow. I’ve only been growing with floranova bloom and a few other things, this is gonna be my first fully organic grow. So I’m hoping it comes out as planned. Also after this grow I’m gonna setup flood table and res with a pump
Can you get your hands on a compost tea?

Latest posts

Top Bottom