Inexpensive Led Entry Point Qb120

• Thread starter DGP
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DGP

DGP

I like to keep an eye out for ways to save money in a grow cause I know a lot of us don't have the funds for a $1500 light fixture. So, here is an idea that doesn't involve some crazy home light from the big box stores that wont really work but a serious lighting setup.

Amazon is selling a 4 pack of HLG QB120s for $125. You can power each one of these boards with a $8 power supply. Of course each board requires its own wall wart power supply but its cheap. The efficiency of these might not be what you would see in a Mean Well supply but hey its a starting point.

Amazon charges $99 for one QB120 and a wall-wart. I am here to tell you it can be done for $38 per board!

So here are a couple of options:

1. Go in with a friend and buy a 4 board set each of you take 2 and buy 2 power supplies (a 24 volt 2.71 amp laptop supply). they are 8-10 bucks and even cheaper at surplus stores. Now you have a pair of lights that can be used for vegging clones and seedlings in a small area (maybe 2X1 or 2X2 depending on needed light values). And there you go and nice starter setup for about $78.

2. Buy 4 lights and 4 supplies and you have a light system that can maybe light a 2X4 tent for vegging. Now your into it for about $148.

3. Buy a 4 panel set and a Mean Well supply and your into a nice system for about $200.

All ya gotta do is figure out which wire is + and which one is - and tin the wires and push them into the one way connectors.....easy!!!!

There ya go, no blurple crap that will fail and true 80+ CRI 4000K with a true power of 150 - 320 watt lights for a bargain and equivalent to about 200 to 400 watts of HID!.

Dee
Inexpensive led entry point qb120
Inexpensive led entry point qb120 2
Inexpensive led entry point qb120 3
Inexpensive led entry point qb120 4

Last edited:
K

kansabis

This is awesome and exactly what I figured out just after I bought the hlg65 lmao,it is much better to buy the boards and create your own fixtures/kits than the ones for sale,better customization and a bit cheaper,sometimes alot cheaper,great post man!

Top Bottom