Infested Soils....

• Thread starter cannabeans
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
cannabeans

cannabeans

Can anyone share their experiences with soil that they had purchased being infested with bugs? Please give the name brand of the soil and the possible bugs that came with it.

The reason I ask is because I recently came under a root aphid attack that I believe came from the bagged soil. I have never had this problem! I also havent brought in ANY plants or cuttings in a very long time. The last time I brought a plant in she came with powdery mildew, so I learned my lesson! Grow from seed! Thats what i have been doing ever since. I dont have visitors at my place because I live far off the beaten path!

i will give the name brand that I was using after we get the thread going, to be fair....

I have spoke with the company in question and they were adamant that their soil is not infested as they have an "in house" lab to test for bugs and pathogens.

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
Roots 707 came chucked full of fungus gnats for me:help: RB

PDX420Grower

PDX420Grower

I got a few bags of FFOF, that also came with free fungus gnats and springtails. Coincidentally, around the same time I also got hit with thrips. (not sure if it came from the soil) Fun week..

lazarus718

lazarus718

Heard Roots also has been having some issues with Thrips lately...FFOF for me. Get a fungus gnat here and there, but never an outbreak.

PDX420Grower

PDX420Grower

Heard Roots also has been having some issues with Thrips lately...FFOF for me. Get a fungus gnat here and there, but never an outbreak.

Damn. Now that I think about it, when I bought the FFOF and got springtails, FG's and thrips, the FoxFarm pallet was up against a pallet of Roots Organic. Got triple screwed by 2 different soils.:D

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

An unopened bag of B'cuzz coco gifted by a friend - full of gnats.

G

GirlCarny

Can thrips and gnats really survive that long inside of a sealed plastic bag of dirt for that long? These bags have to sit for at least a month by the time they get to the end user.

cannabeans

cannabeans

Thanks for the replies.... Roots Organic soil came many, many time infested with thrips, gnats and finally root aphids. I will never purchase their products again... You have been warned!

D

dallas762

To be honest i bought 707 and about a week later off of one of my girls i seen little nats. I put out yellow sticky traps and it looks likse the one is the home of all the nats cuz she has more on her trap than any of the others. So here is my question if 707 and ffof come with bugs what soil is ok to use? Has anyone gone pest free from soil for a period of time?

M

mars

Yep, manufacturers are cutting corners making inferior results. All this due to the love of money.

convex

convex

I would imagine most soil/coco manufacturers source the product from temperate climes, and more than likely the piggy backers are too.

How about throwing your packaged soil in the deep freezer for a week prior to use?

Should kill most pests that have not adjusted to winter temperatures.

Cheers

powerplant

powerplant

I would imagine most soil/coco manufacturers source the product from temperate climes, and more than likely the piggy backers are too.

How about throwing your packaged soil in the deep freezer for a week prior to use?

Should kill most pests that have not adjusted to winter temperatures.

Cheers

Convex, I wonder how that would work out. Should kill definitely kill the majority if not all the pest.

Top Bottom